Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Thomas Jones not as good as we though?

Oct. 31, 2007
Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ NY Jets
Oct. 29, 2007

Jones running into problems in New York

Itís been an awfully frustrating season for Jets RB Thomas Jones. On top of playing for a 1-7 team, Jones has found the toting the ball far more difficult in the Big Apple than he did in the Windy City. Heís eclipsed 67 yards rushing in just three games and has yet to find the endzone. We hear that Jonesí struggles have been twofold. Insiders tell us that his biggest problem is that heís a one-trick pony. Heís a one-cut-and-run running back, and once defenses adjust to his maneuver, heís rendered very inefficient. Also, the O-lineís run blocking continues to lag considerably behind its pass protection. Averaging just 307 pounds across the front, the starting five is one of the smallest lines in the league and lacks the bulk to drive defenders off the line.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...It/default.htm

Darren Mcfadden more likely maybe?

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I loved the thomas jones trade when it first happened and I still love it. I don't blame the struggles on our running game. Granted he is a cut-back up the field type runner, but that is what I love about him. He is always looking to go down the field, he comes out of his cut without losing speed and in addition to having biceps the size of my waist he has good agility and vision.

I don't think the problems with running the ball can be put solely on our oline either; they showed in the phili game when given the chance to run the ball and smack some heads they can open some good holes. I think the adjustments being made aren't the defenses playing the cut back lanes any better, but the defenses being able to see our predictable play calling. I am willing to put most of the blame of our running game on the offensive play calling. Ex. (mulitple games and multiples times) TJ is having a good or great day, and is gashing the defense. We have a 2nd and 1 and we decide to pass the ball twice. Or we throw on 1st and 10 and 2nd and 10 then we run a draw play on 3rd down for 5 yards. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for making the defense honor the pass, but many a time I have actually said outloud and been corroborated with fans of the other team thinking why in the hell didn't they just run the ball.

That having been said, I love McFadden I think he would be an absolute great addition. But, we have much more pressing needs. I love a few guys in the first round, Groves, Gholston, Tyson Jackson even Malcolm Jenkins; and the only way i really feel we stick with our pick and grab mcfadden is if we take care of some of our other needs via FA etc.

Another thing I have been thinking a lot about and there were threads and posts out the ass about this a year ago was asante samuel. If he plays some certain percentage of their plays the Pats said they can't franchise tag him, which baring injury he will reach. I would love to see us make a strong run at him, we are well under the cap and we know he is a proven player. I feel with him Revis, Rhodes and whoever our SS is our pass rush could improve even without upgrading our LBs. I would like to upgrade both however. Just a little food for thought, what's the general concensus with everyone; do we want to go strong after him and do we think our FO will? I for one think we will make a strong run after him, considering the problems we have had this year with our #2 cb. Plus I like the idea of asante getting a pick 6 against brady and BB. (also a good idea to upgrade the secondary what with NE and their unreal recieving corp)

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Last edited by BroadwayJoe10 : 11-01-2007 at 09:54 AM.
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Please freeze thread

This should go on the Jets discussion board...The Discussion board is getting ignored we need to stop creating worhtless threads...

and no we should not draft Darren McFadden...Thomas Jones is not the problem and we gave him a contract for 3 more years, if anything expect the Jets to bring up Danny Ware and use Ware Washington and Jones as a three headed monster next year. McFadden would be a waste up around the 3rd pick when we could trade down and stock pille picks to get a big RT like Gosder Cherildus and perhaps trade picks for a DT or something, all I know is that the Jets picking in the top 5 would be best suited to trade down as of now. NO MCFADDEN! Hes not as close to as good as Peterson and he ahs no identity as a player; is he a qb, rb or wr in the NFL? not worth it to waste a high 1st rounder with a team that needs at least 9 things before a RB.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Novt why do you feel that we need a a top 5 RB prospect to basically make the run game top notch?

You felt the same way in the 05 draft as I recall.

Running backs are a dime in a dozen.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jones is not the problem, the line is the problem. You can't expect him to do much when he doesn't have much to work with.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Novt why do you feel that we need a a top 5 RB prospect to basically make the run game top notch?

1. When did nvot ever say that?

2. I think a lot of people are projecting Adrian Peterson's rookie success onto Darren McFadden. Just like Eli is not Peyton, Sinorice is not Santana, Cedric Benson is not Ricky Williams minus the marijuana addiction and just because McFadden is the top RB prospect, does not mean he is Adrian Peterson. Now, that's not to say that McFadden isn't going to do well in the NFL, but I don't he has any chance to do well behind the Jets OL as it stands now.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post

I wasn't even here in 2005.

I never said Jones was a bad back or that we need to get rid of him. I saw the article, found it interesting, and thought that it might add to the fuel of recent mocks giving us McFadden. I'm not a huge McFadden fan or against Thomas Jones at all, and don't think I so much as even implied I was.

But at the same time, we can afford to draft a player at every position other than really Safety, LT, C, and WR (cotchery) and have it be an improvement..

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
I wasn't even here in 2005.

I never said Jones was a bad back or that we need to get rid of him. I saw the article, found it interesting, and thought that it might add to the fuel of recent mocks giving us McFadden. I'm not a huge McFadden fan or against Thomas Jones at all, and don't think I so much as even implied I was.

But at the same time, we can afford to draft a player at every position other than really Safety, LT, C, and WR (cotchery) and have it be an improvement..
We've been starting Abram Elam at safety. And LC was considering retiring...before he had a concussion. We can't rule out wide receiver either. I'd take either of those positions before RB honestly, at least if I was getting equal value. I honestly think our first selection will depend on who has good value at that spot come draft day. If all of a sudden there's a top 5 WR, people think one of the top DL's (Ellis, Dorsey) would fit the 3-4, some 3-4 OLB prospect seperates himself from the pack and shoots up draft boards, or Kenny Phillips ends up being viewed like Landry was last year I could see us going in any of those directions.

EDIT: And I think AlexDown was referring to the '06 draft, neither one of you was around for the '05 draft...
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote