Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

call me crazy, but IMO, the 4.7 rumors about jarret are strictly rumors. if he was that slow college coaches wouldn't have even paid much attention to him.

Dwayne Jarret=Joe Jurivicious

we already have one. we dont need another slow but sure handed reciever. we need that REALLY fast guy that gets so wide open he doesnt have to be physical.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Browns View Post
I don't think he drops out of the first unless he runs slower than 4.8. The way he plays the game, his production, he's too good to fall that far.

Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State University. He went 16th after running a 4.6 somethin'. I'm not saying Jarrett is in the same league or even close to the same league as Rice. It's just that a poor 40 will drop you, but not that far when you're just that good.
Jerry Rice running a 4.6 or something is a complete myth. He ran in the 4.40 range at the combine.

See post below.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 02-26-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Browns View Post
I don't think he drops out of the first unless he runs slower than 4.8. The way he plays the game, his production, he's too good to fall that far.

Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State University. He went 16th after running a 4.6 somethin'. I'm not saying Jarrett is in the same league or even close to the same league as Rice. It's just that a poor 40 will drop you, but not that far when you're just that good.
It is a complete myth that Jerry Rice ran in thge 4.60 range, you don't get drafted in round 1 from Mississippi Valley St. unless you are spectacular at the combine.

Rice was special before he was drafted

By Gil Brandt
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(June 1, 2005) -- The 1985 NFL Draft was held on April 30, and on that day I was in my office in Dallas prepared to add a new member to our team. One of the players I was hoping to select was a wide receiver out of little-known Mississippi Valley State by the name of Jerry Rice. We had the 17th pick, and using it on him was certainly a possibility.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Download Super Bowl XXXIX radio broadcasts and highlights to your MP3 player!

Field Pass

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.
The draft began with Buffalo picking first and taking Bruce Smith, followed by Atlanta taking Bill Fralic. There was only one wide receiver taken in the first 10 picks, and it was Al Toon going to the New York Jets. Things were looking good.

Houston, San Diego, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Kansas City all made their picks, and none of them were Rice. I remember getting excited as I hoped to catch the steal of the draft with our selection. New England came up on pick No. 16, and I sure didn't figure them to take a wide receiver since they took Irving Fryar the year before.

And then I heard the words that haunted me for a long, long time: "There has been a trade involving this pick, and San Francisco is now on the clock."

The Patriots got San Francisco's first-, second- and third-round picks for pick No. 16. Moments later, Rice was selected and was on his way to Northern California. Had the 49ers not traded up or taken someone else, Rice would have probably been our choice.

Now Rice, at the young age of 42, has signed on with the Denver Broncos and is still planning on playing 20 years later. I thought I would look back at our notes from when we scouted Rice back when he was in college and see what was accurate and what wasn't.

The first thing you may not have known about Rice is that in college, his nickname was "World," because according to his coaches and teammates he could catch anything in the world.

As is the case today, Rice was in great physical shape. According to the report, he had a "very big, strong pair of hands, long arms, tapered body, a well-developed upper body and arms." It did cite his lower legs for needing some development, but he had plenty of "natural strength."

Jerry Rice continues to play the game of football 20 years after his drafting.
****In the 40-yard dash he ran in the 4.4 range, which is excellent**** . Even with that good of a number, the report felt that Rice, "Plays better and runs better in game and on practice field than his 40 time. He has pro speed."

Equally impressive was his character. He had a "family that worked hard for everything," read the document. He was labeled as mature, soft spoken and respectful. I'd say that was correct.

So were there any negatives? There seemed to be a focus on his blocking that concerned the scouts. "He will not make an effort to cut or even push block," said the report. It also said Rice prefered to work along the right sideline and would need work on running patterns and reading the coverage. I'm pretty sure he's improved in all of these areas.

Also, he wore leather gloves until our scout asked him why he did. Since then, he didn't wear gloves. Maybe it helped his game.

When rating Rice on a scale of 1 to 9, with 9 being the highest and 3 being average, he scored 6s, 7s and 8s in character, competitiveness, strength and explosion, speed, short-yardage receiving, running ability after the catch, catching in a crowd and of course hands. Why no 9s? Because for some reason, we never gave out any 9s. We probably should have had the scale go from 1 to 8. And as you may expect, his worst grade came in blocking, a 3.

Our summary read as follows: "He could be a starter in this league in his second season for a contender. ... He has consistently been productive and durable in the past two seasons. He can be the type of player to play for a team in the NFL for a long time. The more I talk to him the more I am impressed with his character. He has big-play ability."

Sounds like Rice, doesn't it?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
ClevelandDave

Gentlemen...If we pick #3 we CAN'T make a mistake. He may not be your favorite choice but would any of you be truely miffed if we wound up with Russell, Quinn, Thomas, Johnson, Branch or Peterson? Pick at #3 is the sexy, but not savy decision.

Personally, I love the scenario of the domino trade-downs and picking 8th plus 6 Rd2 picks. Now THAT would be genius!

Reality is that our draft is completely dictated by our success in Free Agency. We MUST upgrade OG, NT, CB. It would be nice to upgrade/add at RB. We're 4 impact starters away from competing well. Whichever we don't get in Free Agency MUST be addressed in this draft.

Last edited by ClevelandDave : 02-26-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Savage said he will go offense in this draft like he said he would go D last year. He will go after an impact offensive player to take the pressure off the D. Peterson is the guy, it shouldnt be to hard to realize that.

And we do need a NT, but there arent any available in the draft, and really none available in FA. there are 2 good NT's in next years draft, Raji and Bryant, thats when we will upgrade the position. Just because you need to upgrade a position, doesnt mean it will allways happen, especially since there arent any candidates.

Man I wish Meachum would fall to RD2.

Edwards
Winslow
Peterson
are 3 good options to keep a deffense honest. It would be crazy if Meachum, Bowe or jarrett would be there in RD 2 to make 4 viable options, that alone makes an OL better, because a D cant constantly blitz like they currently do on us.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
eliteeagle
Rookie

eliteeagle hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
Savage said he will go offense in this draft like he said he would go D last year. He will go after an impact offensive player to take the pressure off the D. Peterson is the guy, it shouldnt be to hard to realize that.

And we do need a NT, but there arent any available in the draft, and really none available in FA. there are 2 good NT's in next years draft, Raji and Bryant, thats when we will upgrade the position. Just because you need to upgrade a position, doesnt mean it will allways happen, especially since there arent any candidates.

Man I wish Meachum would fall to RD2.

Edwards
Winslow
Peterson
are 3 good options to keep a deffense honest. It would be crazy if Meachum, Bowe or jarrett would be there in RD 2 to make 4 viable options, that alone makes an OL better, because a D cant constantly blitz like they currently do on us.
id rather ginn slip to round 2:p

My Left Tackle can out-fish your Left Tackle
eliteeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandDave View Post
Gentlemen...If we pick #3 we CAN'T make a mistake. He may not be your favorite choice but would any of you be truely miffed if we wound up with Russell, Quinn, Thomas, Johnson, Branch or Peterson? Pick at #3 is the sexy, but not savy decision.

Personally, I love the scenario of the domino trade-downs and picking 8th plus 6 Rd2 picks. Now THAT would be genius!

Reality is that our draft is completely dictated by our success in Free Agency. We MUST upgrade OG, NT, CB. It would be nice to upgrade/add at RB. We're 4 impact starters away from competing well. Whichever we don't get in Free Agency MUST be addressed in this draft.
thank you for stating the obvious. i have a question tho for everyone. with all this talk about us trading with houston for carr and their first pick and whatnot, does the texans trade up for peterson or quinn?

Quote:
And we do need a NT, but there arent any available in the draft, and really none available in FA.
i like tank tyler. he did do 42 reps at the combine. if he slips to the second rnd, i say we snatch him.

Quote:
id rather ginn slip to round 2
ginn wants to be a corner. and with all the depth at the draft for wideouts, one of them will slip.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

"i like tank tyler. he did do 42 reps at the combine. if he slips to the second rnd, i say we snatch him. "

NT's have to be quick and explosive. Tank doesnt have any of that, and he weighted in at 306. The smallest starting NT in the NFL is 325.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM    (permalink
snazel
Rookie

snazel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd take Paul Soliai on day two over Tank Tyler in rd2. Watching him get mauled by Kalil down in Mobile just really took him off my list. While he would definately be a fit at NT, I can't justify taking him in rd2. We can land the top OG prospect (either Blalock, Sears, or Grubbs) or one of the top LT prospects (Staley -maybe a late 1st rder, or Ugoh).
snazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazel View Post
I'd take Paul Soliai on day two over Tank Tyler in rd2. Watching him get mauled by Kalil down in Mobile just really took him off my list. While he would definately be a fit at NT, I can't justify taking him in rd2. We can land the top OG prospect (either Blalock, Sears, or Grubbs) or one of the top LT prospects (Staley -maybe a late 1st rder, or Ugoh).

Totally agree we should go o-line in Rd. 2.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

NFL | Peterson participates in combine despite family tragedy
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 06:47:31 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson took part in his NFL Combine workout despite receiving news early Sunday, Feb. 25, that his half-brother was gunned down and killed in Texas. Despite the tragedy in his family, Peterson was nevertheless able to have an impressive workout, including posting a time of 4.38 seconds in his first 40-yard dash attempt. Peterson had spent much of the time before and after his workout on the phone with grieving family members and did not get much sleep Sunday morning.

Not sure if anyone else was aware of this.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
NFL | Peterson participates in combine despite family tragedy
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 06:47:31 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson took part in his NFL Combine workout despite receiving news early Sunday, Feb. 25, that his half-brother was gunned down and killed in Texas. Despite the tragedy in his family, Peterson was nevertheless able to have an impressive workout, including posting a time of 4.38 seconds in his first 40-yard dash attempt. Peterson had spent much of the time before and after his workout on the phone with grieving family members and did not get much sleep Sunday morning.

Not sure if anyone else was aware of this.
No, but the 4.38 makes me aware of what our pick will be if Thomas isn't there.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Anyone remember us losing Antonio Bryant in FA?

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=510665
"The 49ers are expected to part ways with embattled receiver Antonio Bryant, a league source said. Bryant is in the midst of serving a four-game league-imposed suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy."

LOL.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

how do i delete posts?

Last edited by JSimmsy21 : 03-01-2007 at 01:14 AM.
JSimmsy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Hail Browns hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If the Eagles don't bring Donte Stallworth back, I'd really like to see him sign with us. He's a type of receiver we don't have, a really fast one. He'd help stretch defenses a bit, and he's a legitamite slot man so that we wouldn't need to have someone so unproven (Wilson), sitting at the 3 spot on the depth chart.
Hail Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Hail Browns hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Great news for us, we finally got Fraley resigned. It's a 4-year deal, no news on the money he's getting. I'm just glad we got him back. I found it on ESPN, I don't have the link, you can look for yourself if you like.
Hail Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
snazel
Rookie

snazel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is very good news, thumbs up to Phil for getting a deal done with Fraley. I think this rules out Kalil in rd2 as an option, which is a good thing because I don't think he would've fallen that far, and there aren't many intriguing C prospect behind him in the draft anyway.
snazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Good job Phil. Centers arent in high demand right now, smart move by Fraley, this was his best shot at retaining a starting job.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

hm, a 4 year deal?

i wonder if its a deal involving not alot of money so he would be a backup later on, or a deal that is a security blanket if bently never comes back....interesting. i was really expecting a 2, mabye 3 year deal.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

[quote=JSimmsy21;169656]thank you for stating the obvious. i have a question tho for everyone. with all this talk about us trading with houston for carr and their first pick and whatnot, does the texans trade up for peterson or quinn?

Don't make me sick please. Carr is a bum, he'll end up a career backup. He cannot read defenses, has a slow release, has a hard time finding the open receiver and has no leadership qualities. I just pray Savage doesn't take a shot on this guy, leave him to the Detroit's and Oaklland's, teams that remain on the bottom trying to rebuild through other team's rejects.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:50 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

About the Fraley deal, It was probably leverage (4 year deal) to get it done. And if he plays well it allways leaves the option for Bentley (if he comes back) to play gaurd.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
twotondawg

Does anybody know how interested the Vikings are in a WR? If they are then how about trading our 1st rd for their 1st and 2nd? And getting Branch/Brown/Okoye with the first? Then maybe Blalock with our second.

As an aside....can anybody provide a link for the draft pick value chart? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotondawg View Post
Does anybody know how interested the Vikings are in a WR? If they are then how about trading our 1st rd for their 1st and 2nd? And getting Branch/Brown/Okoye with the first? Then maybe Blalock with our second.

As an aside....can anybody provide a link for the draft pick value chart? I would greatly appreciate it.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...aluechart.html

there you go.

and for the trade with the viks. i've been all over that. if that were to happen, we could still get peterson. or even quinn. ever team before us has bigger needs or don't need a franchise RB.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
twotondawg

Thank you. I just think we need to fix or D first, then worry about the offense. Which is why I would use the second as another DL or Mike Bush; whom I like alot.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotondawg View Post
Thank you. I just think we need to fix or D first, then worry about the offense. Which is why I would use the second as another DL or Mike Bush; whom I like alot.

Personally, I think that the defense is further along than the offense. Yes, we need a few young dlineman, and maybe a corner, but besides that we have plenty to get by. On offense we lack the three most important things, an offensive line, a running back, and a QB. I'm all for BPA in this draft, and if that means Peterson or Thomas then that's our guy. Also, I'm all for the trade down where i would love Quinn or Peterson, branch is solid no doubt, but seriously, do we need a richard seymour more than an LT or franchise QB? I don't think so. Also, i'm not a bush fan, he's too big to run like a fairy.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote