Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Concerning Joe's mock....I would prefer the combination of Peterson, Harrell, and Higgins; EVERYDAY to Shaub, Lynch, Jarrett, and Brown.

What does Shaub give us?....An imobile Charlie Frye. Same arm, both are 6'4, neither have proved they can read a defense or be a franchise QB. All this BS about Shaub being worth a 1st or 2nd rounder is crap, what has he proven?????

We already have our redzone guys in K2, Beasy, and JJ. We don't need another. Give me someone explosive who can come in and return punts right away and be a vetical threat.

Harrell would be a first rounder had he not been injured. He would make an imediate impact, something Brown wouldn't.

I guess i am saying i would rather stay put than trade down, because it is time we get a truly elite player on this team. So far we only have one with that type of potential, that being K2 when healthy (quetionable weather or not he will ever be). After 7 the elite talent will be gone, and Lynch really isn't worth that high of pick. He is more in the 15-25 range.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Freddy, Harrell would have to play DE for us. He benched 23 reps at the combine, that is nowhere near the strength needed. Brady Quinn for example benched 24 times. His scouting report says he cannot shed blocks, big negative as a 3-4 DL. It says he doesnt use his hands well and isnt stout at the point of attack.

Hes just not a 3-4 DE.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
Freddy, Harrell would have to play DE for us. He benched 23 reps at the combine, that is nowhere near the strength needed. Brady Quinn for example benched 24 times. His scouting report says he cannot shed blocks, big negative as a 3-4 DL. It says he doesnt use his hands well and isnt stout at the point of attack.

Hes just not a 3-4 DE.
Of course Harrell would play DE. If you were thinking Brown was going to play NT, you are sorely mistaken.

By the way, one of Harrell best attributes is the fact that he is stout at the point, and he plays the pass equally well. I assume you never saw him play. A good comparison would be Ty Warren, except Harrell is just a scosh less of an athlete.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
icantackleclaret
Rookie

icantackleclaret hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Reuben Droughns-RB- Browns Mar. 4 - 2:58 pm et

There was reportedly talk in Denver last week that Reuben Droughns could be traded back to the Broncos.

Rotoworld.com

Thanks to Bosanac01 for the sig.
icantackleclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Scott right himself said that harrell isnt stout at the point of attack, just ask him. He has watched him play more than any of us.

"If you were thinking Brown was going to play NT, you are sorely mistaken."

Brown would be a DE. But because he hasnt lifted at his pro day Im starting to think he wont be strong enough either. he doesnt have much quickness.

Read his scouting report, its not the description anyone would prefer.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...inharrell.html
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got a question for u browns fans, who are ur recivers besides like Brylon E., and Joe J. Dont you guys think another wr would be good like CJ
Old 03-04-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
icantackleclaret
Rookie

our 3 reciever is Travis Wilson. He is our 3 rounder from last year. Do I think we could use CJ? I think CJ would be an upgrade for all 32 teams @ WR. It will/ could be hard to say no to him.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
Scott right himself said that harrell isnt stout at the point of attack, just ask him. He has watched him play more than any of us.

"If you were thinking Brown was going to play NT, you are sorely mistaken."

Brown would be a DE. But because he hasnt lifted at his pro day Im starting to think he wont be strong enough either. he doesnt have much quickness.

Read his scouting report, its not the description anyone would prefer.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...inharrell.html

Is that all you look at is scouting reports? Ever watch anyone play?

Even if you do only look at reports, read the whole thing. In the notes it says, "possible 3-4 DE" in more words or less. Also, notice his question at the point is one of the last things in the negatives, Scott wrights his reports in order of strengths. So, that isn't by anymeans his most glaring weakness. Also, in strengths it says, "plays the run well".

Flat out, Justin Harrell is a great fit for the 3-4 and can make an immediate impact, if not start from day 1.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

"Is that all you look at is scouting reports? Ever watch anyone play?"

Let me guess, a 17 year old like yourself studied game film of harrell and now thinks hes a great 3-4 DE? Theres a difference from catching the average game on TV, and studiying a guy.

You know nothing more about harrell than the average guy on this board.

Im willing to be 90% of everything you know about the guy has been from READING SCOUTING REPORTS. But you will say thats not true.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Hail Browns hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBN570 View Post
For what it's worth I'm very high on Lynch too... I love his size, his athleticism, his pass catching ability... there's so much to love. I think I would almost rather have him than Peterson, because I think he is more versatile, has less of an injury history, and isn't as big of an injury risk as peterson and his upright running style. Sure Peterson is more athletically gifted, but I'd rather have Lynch... if we can trade down and still get Lynch that would be gravy!
Well, then I guess it's a matter of preferance. I think Lynch will be a good back, I just don't agree that we should trade down and take him. I think other "elite" guys would have a bigger impact on this franchise. And my preferance is not Lynch.
Hail Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Harrell would fit a 3-4 DE, as would Brown, but I would rather have Harrell. And I have seen him play, he would do fine.

Joe, don't be deceived by age, Freddy know a lot more than most of us about the 3-4. Listen to his words of wisdom. You don't have to be old to be intelligent.

bhaarat316, after Braylon and Joe, we have Travis Wilson and Joshua Cribbs. We undoubtedly need a WR, but I'd rather not take an elite type WR, just someone who can fill the slot, stretch a defense. It would provide us with more options as an offense.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

"Joe, don't be deceived by age, Freddy know a lot more than most of us about the 3-4. Listen to his words of wisdom. You don't have to be old to be intelligent. "

Harrell Benched 23 reps, how is he strong enough to take on the 2 blockers that will be stronger than him?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
juve1325

If we didend up trading down to ten I think the most logical pick would be either omobi okoye or adam carriker because I think that either one could play end for us effectively. Our d-line is one of the biggest needs for us and would make our linebackers play alot better. Also, I saw some people saying we should move pool to corner and if we did that and traded down I wouldn't mind us taking laron landry to be our free safety. I think that he is going to be an absolute beast in the pros.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
"Joe, don't be deceived by age, Freddy know a lot more than most of us about the 3-4. Listen to his words of wisdom. You don't have to be old to be intelligent. "

Harrell Benched 23 reps, how is he strong enough to take on the 2 blockers that will be stronger than him?

You think football is a game of bench presses?

To play DL you need a strong base, average bench numbers are just fine. Joe Thomas only did 28, Mike Huff did 24 last year, Daryn Colledge only did 19 oe 20, and 260lb Mike Kudla did 40 something, whoopty do. Judging by your logic, Mike Huff would be playing DE and Kudla NT.

3-4 ends need to be strong through their legs...and yes butt. And even more importantly they need to play with good leverage, something Harrell does very well. I could care less about the bench numbers as long as they are not completely terrible (15 or below).

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post

To play DL you need a strong base, average bench numbers are just fine. Joe Thomas only did 28, Mike Huff did 24 last year, Daryn Colledge only did 19 oe 20, and 260lb Mike Kudla did 40 something, whoopty do. Judging by your logic, Mike Huff would be playing DE and Kudla NT.

3-4 ends need to be strong through their legs...and yes butt. And even more importantly they need to play with good leverage, something Harrell does very well. I could care less about the bench numbers as long as they are not completely terrible (15 or below).
Agreed, it's more about lower body strength and positioning in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

also agreed. they should add squats or leg press to the combine.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Hail Browns
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
I actually think that would really help teams evaluate prospects. Good idea, too bad it won't happen though.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
icantackleclaret
Rookie

Reuben Droughns-RB- Browns Mar. 8 - 5:39 pm et

The Browns are shopping Reuben Droughns on the trade market.
Good luck.
Most teams have filled their holes at running back and Droughns averaged 3.4 yards-per-carry last season. Droughns is likely to be off the team before a mid-March roster bonus is due.

Rotoworld.com

Old 03-08-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21 View Post

It would have to be squats in order to get an accurated measure. But that is kind of too dangerous (back) so i doubt we would see.

Leg presses would be misleading. I can't even begin to imagine what the players would push. I mean i am 175-180 on good day, and i rep like 450 (five 45lbs on each side) 15 times on a leg press (i play soccer). I doubt they could get a machine that could hold enough weight for most of these guys.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

In his radio interview (jamal Lewis), he mentioned the team is really serious about the run game and told him they plan on getting another OL guy to make our run game dominate.

I wonder if that leans towards Peterson and an OL early?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
bigrick0016

Quote:

Maybe Marty Shotenheimer?
Are you Insane?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
It would have to be squats in order to get an accurated measure. But that is kind of too dangerous (back) so i doubt we would see.

Leg presses would be misleading. I can't even begin to imagine what the players would push. I mean i am 175-180 on good day, and i rep like 450 (five 45lbs on each side) 15 times on a leg press (i play soccer). I doubt they could get a machine that could hold enough weight for most of these guys.
you right about it being a little dangerous. and these guys probably have a 800+ lbs max on leg press. i think the most accurate way to do this would to do leg presses, rep a certain percentage of body weight, and in a certain time limit. so like this.

DT weights 300 lbs.
leg presses 150-175% body weight.
15-20 seconds.

so this guy has 15-20 seconds to do 450-525lbs as many times as he can.

this could show burst, motor, leg strenght. probably some other small things like how well this guy carries his own weight around. things like that.

wont ever happen, but its a thought.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

800 plus is easy for those guys. There is an OL at my old high school that does 1000 like its nothing.

"Are you Insane?"
That was the comment about Marty S.........Why not at this point? How many rookie coaches can the Browns sign? The players usually dont respect them, why not bring in a proven coach? Wouldnt that be the next step?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bigrick0016

Quote:
800 plus is easy for those guys. There is an OL at my old high school that does 1000 like its nothing.

"Are you Insane?"
That was the comment about Marty S.........Why not at this point? How many rookie coaches can the Browns sign? The players usually dont respect them, why not bring in a proven coach? Wouldnt that be the next step?

Apparently you don't remember the long and storied history of Schottenheimer choke jobs. As much as I'd like to actually get to the playoffs, I want towin when I'm there more.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrick0016 View Post
Apparently you don't remember the long and storied history of Schottenheimer choke jobs. As much as I'd like to actually get to the playoffs, I want towin when I'm there more.
Marty turned our franchise around in the 80's. We choked in the playoffs, then he left and we sucked worse. marty helped turn around the Chargers, choked in the playoffs then left. At least let him turn around our team and then let him leave.