Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-20-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Whashington is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) NT in NFL history and in his prime he was 6'5 345-55.

The best today is Jamal Williams and he is 6'3 345

Then you have Hampton at 6'1 320 and Wilfork at 6'2 325.

Ideal size is arbitruary, weight is probably most important when looking at size. Absolutely most important though is how well the player uses leverage, and whether or not he has a strong base.

As gaay as it may sound, rather than size, look for big butts, thick legs, and long arms. That's general, and of course not always accurate, but it is better than just looking purely at size.

Personally, i think i deal size would be 6'2-6'4 330+, but there are so many factors, that size really isn't as important as some make it to be.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

IMO, tank tyler is the next teddy. he's big and he has the form to put on lots of weight. and he doenst have great stamina.

Oshinowa(i'm not even checking how you spell his name) has a good size. he also did very good inthe preseason this past year. i considered him our late rnd gem last year. watch for him if we dont address our NT spot this year. he may be in competition for the starting job for the 08 season. hopefully by then the talent gap on this team will be not so far in between and we can focus on 1 or 2 posistions instead of 5 or 6.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Fresh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriles0522
According to Cleveland.com, Bentley is out for 2007, will need another surgery on that knee for the same injury, and his career is in jeopardy. His agent guarantees he will play again at a pro bowl level, but what is he supposed to say?

I didnt expect him to play this year honestly, and our draft strategy must proceed such that he is not even on our team.
My friend's dad just died from a staph infection in his sleep. We probably can't even expect him back til '09, bbut it's very realistic that his career is over.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21
IMO, tank tyler is the next teddy. he's big and he has the form to put on lots of weight. and he doenst have great stamina.

Oshinowa(i'm not even checking how you spell his name) has a good size. he also did very good inthe preseason this past year. i considered him our late rnd gem last year. watch for him if we dont address our NT spot this year. he may be in competition for the starting job for the 08 season. hopefully by then the talent gap on this team will be not so far in between and we can focus on 1 or 2 posistions instead of 5 or 6.
Alright, this is going to sound ******** because I've seen it posted so much, but what does IMO stand for?

Yeah, It'll be nice when we don't need help everywhere but kick returner and tight end.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

IMO = in my opinion

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
dlions20

The Staph infection definatly wont end his career. I have a buddy thats had 2 staff infections playing division 2 football within the last 3 years.

Quote:
he also did very good inthe preseason this past year.
That was refering to Babatuno Oshinowu, if he was that good we wouldnt have released him, then later signed him to a practice squad after he cleared waivers. Hes not big enough to be a 3-4 NT, hes strong enough, but not massive enough. I think he weighted 310 out of college.

Oshinowu isnt near 325.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya
The Staph infection definatly wont end his career. I have a buddy thats had 2 staff infections playing division 2 football within the last 3 years.

Quote:
he also did very good inthe preseason this past year.
That was refering to Babatuno Oshinowu, if he was that good we wouldnt have released him, then later signed him to a practice squad after he cleared waivers. Hes not big enough to be a 3-4 NT, hes strong enough, but not massive enough. I think he weighted 310 out of college.

Oshinowu isnt near 325.
i'm not saying that he WILL be a starter. and 310 isnt far from 325. he has the so called "perfect" size for a NT, plus a few lbs. and i'm sure they are working with him to gain some weight. plus, just b/c he was cut to the practice squad doesnt mean he wont be good.i also dont think he played every preseason game, or was limited in his game. and he wasnt on the practice squad very long, mabye 4 or 5 weeks i beleive. remember travis wilson didnt play almost the whole year, and while he was listed on the roster, he practiced most of the year with the practice squad. crennel doesnt like to start rookies.

i'm just pointing out that he MAY turn into starting caliber. he gives us good depth at the position. besides, Savage doesnt waste draft picks. :D
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
i'm not saying that he WILL be a starter. and 310 isnt far from 325. he has the so called "perfect" size for a NT, plus a few lbs.
310 is pretty far away from 325. And hes nowhere near perfect size for a NT. i remember Laroiy Glover played NT for the Cowboys and despite having everything it took to play the position he failed miserably.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Cwood8899

Bentley won't be out for sure for the 2007 season. If he gets surgery then he'll be out for 2007. They said it was likely that he will get his third surgery. I say it's 75% chance he's out for 2007.

"Later this week, the team's headquarters will be vacated so a special antiseptic spray can be applied to help combat staph, a highly contagious virus."- Thank you!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
dlions20

I like Charlie Frye now guys! I played 6 seasons in madden 2007 and hes up to a 95 overall rating. His arm power is still at 88 though. i dont do training camp.

IMO best case scenario, Charlie Frye will be a Chad Pennington type.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

since you insist on contridicting me on everything i say, let me prove my points

Quote:
310 is pretty far away from 325. And hes nowhere near perfect size for a NT. i remember Laroiy Glover played NT for the Cowboys and despite having everything it took to play the position he failed miserably.
15lbs is not that much for someone that is 6'1'' or 6'2''. joe staley put on 85 POUNDS.i dont care if that was over a 3 year period. thats alot. i'm sure he will gain weight as he gets older, as that is almost a natural thing. i will agree with you that glover didnt do much as a NT, IMO he would have been a better DE for the 3-4. i'm also not saying that size is everything. you have one example of a disaster NT.(did you not see my post about starting DT's in the league?!?!)

view Freddy's post. i beleive that is the pin point. size means nothing if they can't use it. leverage, high motor, and initial burst are key.

the bottom line is, no team will even consider a NT that is under 300lbs. as far as height goes. it goes either way. 6'1'' ish for ppl that beleive in low center gravity kinda thing and can get good leverage. or ppl like teddy who are 6'5'' and just out powers ppl with his massive size. it goes either way. there is no perfect size. but he is close to IDEAL.

i think he could just fill the void for a year or 2(mabye more) when teddy retires. it is impossible for a team with as many needs that we have to fix them all in one season. or even 2. i'd like to see us address our DE spot first. it would further help the development of Wimbley. it would also force teams to run the ball up the middle more instead of left or right. making them more predictive and leaving us not having to guess which way they are running.

Quote:
According to Cleveland.com, Bentley is out for 2007, will need another surgery on that knee for the same injury, and his career is in jeopardy. His agent guarantees he will play again at a pro bowl level, but what is he supposed to say?

I didnt expect him to play this year honestly, and our draft strategy must proceed such that he is not even on our team.
what is with all the staph infections? we've been having a lot of problems with this the past couple of years. K2 ended up having one. B easy had one. Russel and Bently had one this year. baxter might have had one last year, i dont remember. i've read that they've done tests at the cleveland clinic and have found nothing wrong. mabye the canadians(or those damn michigan fans) are throwing something in the lake and we're getting the result :!: :shock:
Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

Quote:
"Later this week, the team's headquarters will be vacated so a special antiseptic spray can be applied to help combat staph, a highly contagious virus."- Thank you!
FINALLY

i posted my last thought not knowing that. thank you for the info.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 AM    (permalink
dlions20

Oshinowu is listed at 6'1, 305 on the Browns page, what he weighed in at his pro day. So if you think thats perfect size for a NT, you go make your own team, because i would love to see it.

I only contradict you because your so off. You said 6'2, 315, hardly!

He doesnt have the burst needed for DE and doesnt have the bulk for NT, thats why he was released, then resigned for the practice squad.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
dlions20

Heres a pic of him....
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/multi...layer_id =551

looks slim for a NT. even for a DT in the 4-3.[/quote]
Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
TRich28
Rookie

TRich28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TRich28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Browns | Team will be aggressive in free agency
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:53:30 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have $30 million in cap room and are planning to be aggressive in free agency.

Browns | Team might go after Clements in free agency
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:13:10 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns might go after Buffalo Bills CB Nate Clements in free agency.

Browns | Team stepping up negotiations with Fraley
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:56:14 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have stepped up negotiations with C Hank Fraley.
TRich28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

Quote:
Oshinowu is listed at 6'1, 305 on the Browns page, what he weighed in at his pro day. So if you think thats perfect size for a NT, you go make your own team, because i would love to see it.

He doesnt have the burst needed for DE and doesnt have the bulk for NT, thats why he was released, then resigned for the practice squad.
Quote:
I think he weighted 310 out of college.
i based my 310 figure from what you said^^^. not one of my posts said he was 315. and ONE INCH is not "so far off".

i dont know why you think 5 or 10 lbs and one inch is so much. its really not.

i do agree that he wouldnt make a very good DE. i think Glover might have made a better DE. if there was confusion in my statment regarding that, my apologies. i dont think Oshionawu has that burst needed. but i think he's good enough to clog the running lanes if he needed to. and when i say this, i mean this only if we choose not to address this position this year or even next year. (tho i would be upset if we didnt at least attempt to address it next offseason)

he was released, signed to the practice squad, then signed to the active roster.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 AM    (permalink
Westbourne

Quote:
I like Charlie Frye now guys! I played 6 seasons in madden 2007 and hes up to a 95 overall rating. His arm power is still at 88 though. i dont do training camp.

HAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Tell me, does Charlie make all the same mistakes in Madden that he does in real life.

Staring down receivers, throwing across his body, throwing across the field, tries to hard to make a play resulting in something bad...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard...Ryan Leaf was good in Madden, lets resign him...

He'll be ungodly, he was a 99 overall as soon as I got his awareness up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by some idiot
1" and 10lbs IS SO FAR OFF....Hardly!

Ryan "Don't Call it a Comeback" Leaf will lead the Cleveland Browns to the 2007 Super Bowl because he was good in Madden after I got his AWR upped.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

I need to inlist the help of my fellow Browns fans.

Please go to the fanasty section and vote for my "Hot women draft". I am up against sarf, and while i realize his team may have a slight edge, i am relatively close (as of now) and i think my team is better than everyone elses....i don't want to be booted out yet.

Browns fan UNITE!!

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son
Quote:

HAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Tell me, does Charlie make all the same mistakes in Madden that he does in real life.

Staring down receivers, throwing across his body, throwing across the field, tries to hard to make a play resulting in something bad...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard...Ryan Leaf was good in Madden, lets resign him...

He'll be ungodly, he was a 99 overall as soon as I got his awareness up...
Alright I think Joe Montainya was kidding although I did get Kamerion Wimbley up to a 98 in my Madden.

However, we can have a great team with Charlie Frye as our quarterback. IMO (thanks Freddy), all his major faults are easily fixable with a good coach, work, and some protection.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

Quote:
there are scary similarities arnt there? i think that would be best case scenario.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21
Quote:
there are scary similarities arnt there? i think that would be best case scenario.
Actually, think Frye has a better chance of being Jake Plummer (without mistakes 8) ) like.

I think you guys are a little over critical of his arm. It is definitely stronger (by quite a bit) than Pennington's, and while it isn't a cannon by any means, it is certainly adequate, imo. Throw in his mobility, very solid accuracy, natural playmaking ability (its there, just needs harnessed) and intangibles and he has potential.

I'm not saying he is going to be a pro bowler or HOFer or anything, but i certainly think he can be better than Pennington.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For real, everyone is way underrating Frye's arm. His arm is not Brett Favre's but it is not as weka like Brees' or Penningtons' in a sense, though those two's games are all about making reads and using great accuracy on their throws. If we get 2 good guards and Adrian Peterson then Frye will actually get a chance to throw this year and we'll find out if he can win games with a running game and protection.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns | McCutcheon not expected back
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:54:49 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns CB Daylon McCutcheon will likely not return to the team in 2007. McCutcheon missed the 2006 season after having knee surgery in training camp.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
For real, everyone is way underrating Frye's arm. His arm is not Brett Favre's but it is not as weka like Brees' or Penningtons' in a sense, though those two's games are all about making reads and using great accuracy on their throws. If we get 2 good guards and Adrian Peterson then Frye will actually get a chance to throw this year and we'll find out if he can win games with a running game and protection.
Heres the difference, when Charlie throws harder, his accurancy dramatically decreases. I think this is due to him either rushing it (OL) or he just isnt very calm in the pocket. I liked it alot better when Anderson played and hes was supposed to be our 3rd string QB.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Browns | McCutcheon not expected back
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:54:49 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns CB Daylon McCutcheon will likely not return to the team in 2007. McCutcheon missed the 2006 season after having knee surgery in training camp.
Expected.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.