Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Thomas Jones wants out of Chicago. It will most likely cost a team not higher than a 4rth rounder to get him. What do you guys think about trading a pick for him? Im not convinced with Petersons running style/size.

We could then concentrate on our OL/DL or maybe even a QB of the future.

Link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ears-headlines
Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya
Thomas Jones wants out of Chicago. It will most likely cost a team not higher than a 4rth rounder to get him. What do you guys think about trading a pick for him? Im not convinced with Petersons running style/size.

I don't want a stop gap...again.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G
Quote:

I don't want a stop gap...again.
Not a fan. Plus if we do this before draft day we'd really be tipping our hand at who we'd want to draft and we'd lose a lot of leverage in trading our pick, IMO.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
Not a fan. Plus if we do this before draft day we'd really be tipping our hand at who we'd want to draft and we'd lose a lot of leverage in trading our pick, IMO.
We wouldnt make the trade until the 4rth round, we wouldnt be tipping anything.

Im just saying If we dont draft Peterson, I personally would like to have some proven depth at the RB position other than a 3rd down back.

Droughns and Jones/Harrison are better than Droughns and Harrison. Especially for a team thats use to having a RB injured at one point or another.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21
Quote:
Quote:
For real, everyone is way underrating Frye's arm. His arm is not Brett Favre's but it is not as weka like Brees' or Penningtons' in a sense, though those two's games are all about making reads and using great accuracy on their throws. If we get 2 good guards and Adrian Peterson then Frye will actually get a chance to throw this year and we'll find out if he can win games with a running game and protection.
Heres the difference, when Charlie throws harder, his accurancy dramatically decreases. I think this is due to him either rushing it (OL) or he just isnt very calm in the pocket. I liked it alot better when Anderson played and hes was supposed to be our 3rd string QB.
i have to agree with you joe, 100%. i dont think charlie's arm is as weak as chad's. but its nothing special. and while his problems can be fixed. a few of my buddies have settled on anderson. he compares to tom brady of yesterday. a helacious arm. quick read's. not very mobile but great pocket presence. i do like charlie's mobility, thats def. a plus for him. but if anderson can improve his decision making and work on his accuracy, then its not a contest on who would start between the 2.
Anderson isn't a quality type who can ever start in this league. All through his college career, he barely completed 50% of his passes and more importantly threw a lot of interceptions. With him, what you see now is what you get. A QB with accuracy problems who has a real tendacy to throw interceptions. He will always be a backup. It appears that we are going with Frye unless all the talk is a smokescreen so nobody trades with Detroit to secure Quinn ahead of us. Only draft day will tell!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Fresh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

I'm all for it for a 4th round pick. I think Jones is better than Droughns. This would work out great if Thomas fell to us, but I really don't want to take anyone besides Joe or AD unless we trade down. Maybe throw Droughns in the trade, as well? I don't know.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Screw Thomas, Droughns isn't that much worse and I'd much rather have Peterson. AD will be a 9 time pro bowler after we draft him and lead us to the playoffs at least 6 times. Yeah, optimism!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
dlions20

My favorite RB in the draft in Marshawn Lynch. He can run the ball, catch it and throw it because he was a good QB in high school. If this article is correct on his 4.3 speed, he has to be our guy. Lynch is also only 20 years old so hes almost 2 years younger than Peterson with no injury history. Has a better pro body and more versitle. Also possibly a better pass blocker.

Lynch has NFL speed and size
Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer
California running back Marshawn Lynch owes a lot to his mother.

Back in Oakland, Calif. where the family resides, Delisa Lynch worked three jobs to support Lynch and his siblings and still managed to attend every one of the children's athletic events, sometimes going to several in a day.

And now, just weeks from being drafted into the NFL, Lynch is ready to thank his mother for everything she has done.

Lynch, who has a tattoo reading "Mama's Boy" from shoulder blade to shoulder blade across his back, said the first thing he'll do when he receives his signing bonus later this summer is buy a house for his mother in the city in which he'll play.

But honoring one of the Ten Commandments isn't enough to get you selected within the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, as Lynch is projected to be.

Lynch is a football player -- and a good one.

In fact, at 5-feet-11 and 215 pounds and with 4.3 speed, he might have the best combination of size and speed of any running back in the 2007 draft.
He calls that combination his greatest strength.

Lynch originally was a quarterback at Oakland Technical High School (he said to this day he can throw the ball about 70 yards) until his cousin, Joshua Johnson, beat him out for the job.

The move worked out for the best. Lynch turned out to be a better running back, rushing for 4,722 yards and 23 touchdowns in just eight regular season games as a senior. Johnson was successful too and now is the starting quarterback at the University of San Diego. He earned All-America honors this past season.

The start of Lynch's college career was quiet but relatively notable. He played behind J.J. Arrington as a true freshman in 2004 but still managed 71 carries for 628 yards for an 8.8 yards-per-carry average, and eight touchdowns.

He took over the team's starting role in 2005 and rushed for 1,246 yards on 196 carries with 10 touchdowns in just 10 games. While not as good as his freshman average, his 6.4 yards-per-carry average as a sophomore continued to raise eyebrows.

In 2006, he was the Pac 10 offensive player of the year (yes, ahead of star USC Trojans like John David Booty, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith). Lynch rushed for 1,421 yards and 11 scores.

The pass-catching threat also posted 600 receiving yards on 68 catches during his three seasons as a Bear.

After putting up those sorts of numbers, Lynch decided to forgo his senior year and make sure his motherno longer hadto spend all her time working just to make ends meet.

"I feel I accomplished a lot on the college level and I'm ready to test what I have on the next level," he said.

The athletic running back has his share of adversity to battle before making it in the NFL, however. Two incidents have raised questions about his character and have threatened to lower his draft stock.

In June 2006, he was riding in a car near his former high school when assailants opened fire on the vehicle. It turned out Lynch and the other passengers in the car were not the intended target of the shooting.

"It was tough but that problem was resolved," Lynch said. "It was a miscommunication. The guy thought I was somebody that I wasn't.

Remarkably, within 20 minutes the shooter phoned Lynch's mother to apologize.

"I guess I mean that much to Oakland," he said.

On January 25, Lynch was accused of sexual assault by his former girlfriend. Two days later a deputy district attorney declined to press charges citing inconsistencies in the accuser's story.

While Lynch was never arrested or charged in the crime, it's negative press at an inopportune time.

He said when teams ask him about the issue he'll simply be honest.

"I'm just going to tell them thre truth," he said. "It's something they want to know and I have nothing to hide. I'll tell them straight how it was."

Lynch confirmed Friday that he has met with the Browns, among several other teams, but said his dream would be to continue to build a legacy in the town in which he was raised. He'd love to be a Raider.

Good to see the Browns are keeping there options open.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Did anyone else notice that 3 of our losses last year were within 1 TD to playoff teams? (saints, ravens, chargers), we also beat 2 playoff teams (jets and chiefs). Then there were 2 very close losses to almost playoff teams (pittsburg, carolina)

We had a total of 8 losses that were within 10 pts also.

Injuries also very much effected some of these losses.

Im excited to see our team next year with some new players and better health/luck.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Not to take anything away from lynch, and i've already said i'd be all for taking him if we trade down in the first round, but there's just something about peterson that i think makes him a special player.

Also, if their 40 times match up (within about .05), which i expect to happen and for both to be under 4.4, the speed factor is really a wash. So yea lynch may be more versatile but something tells me peterson can catch a screen pass and go upfield just fine and if he has any kind of coach, he's plenty athletic/strong/smart to be a great pass blocker.

I know i'm probably in the minority here and maybe rightfully so, but I think the injuries have really overshadowed what a freak athlete and rb this guy was/is.

Ill take peterson over lynch in the 3rd spot anyyyyy day.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
dlions20

I dont think taking Lynch 3rd was really an option, its more of a trade down scenario.

Quote:
I know i'm probably in the minority here and maybe rightfully so, but I think the injuries have really overshadowed what a freak athlete and rb this guy was/is.
Um, that screams Courtney Brown all over again.

Think if we traded down with Minnesota for the 8th pick.

RD1 - Marshawn Lynch
RD2 - Victor Abiamiri
RD2 - Robert Meachum

that would be rediculous for our offense.

Sign Kris Dielman and Fraley in FA. Then push for Nate Clements.

Next year is the year we need to worry about getting DL, because that class for next years draft is stocked with 3-4 potential.

BJ Raji is 6'1 340 DT from Boston College, rated in the top 6 DT's in 2008.

Red Bryant is 6'5 335 from Texas A&M and is also rated in the top of the DT's.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

Quote:
I dont think taking Lynch 3rd was really an option, its more of a trade down scenario.

Quote:
Um, that screams Courtney Brown all over again.

Think if we traded down with Minnesota for the 8th pick.

RD1 - Marshawn Lynch
RD2 - Victor Abiamiri
RD2 - Robert Meachum

that would be rediculous for our offense.

Sign Kris Dielman and Fraley in FA. Then push for Nate Clements.

Next year is the year we need to worry about getting DL, because that class for next years draft is stocked with 3-4 potential.
First, off Minnesota has the 7th pick, 1 spot before the Texans, who would be the next team to take Peterson barring a trade to get him. Would you take lynch over peterson at 7 or at any spot if they were both available?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
Would you take lynch over peterson at 7 or at any spot if they were both available?
When Peterson rushed for almost 2,000 yards he was great, and also had a top 3 OL in the country.

Since then his numbers have dropped, injuries have risen, and there are many more quetions about him, including running style, size, injury concerns etc....

Lynch doesnt have any of those concerns, is almost 2 years younger, and equally produced at a high level, and arguably is more versitile.

Everyone knows the Browns injury history, so why draft someone in that mold?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Would you take lynch over peterson at 7 or at any spot if they were both available?
When Peterson rushed for almost 2,000 yards he was great, and also had a top 3 OL in the country.

Since then his numbers have dropped, injuries have risen, and there are many more quetions about him, including running style, size, injury concerns etc....

Lynch doesnt have any of those concerns, is almost 2 years younger, and equally produced at a high level, and arguably is more versitile.

It was just a yes or no question, and i respect those reasons, but I'll take that response as a yes that you would draft him over peterson if they were both available at 7?

Also, of all of those reasons "almost 2 years younger" is probably the one that i'd factor LEAST into the decision. I mean seriously, almost 2 years younger? Your thinking must be that lynch will stay in his prime for ALMOST 2 more years, which is basically about ONE more football season, that doesn't really matter to me personally.

If they both turn out to be great, would it really matter to a team drafting, to say well we like peterson more but he might only have 8 great years and lynch, well he's a half notch below but could have 9 great years?

And i know this isn't a clear indicator by any stretch of the imagination, but when i watch a highlight video of peterson...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AP5RgOy5fjA

and then one of lynch...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WxwFmss2E...elated&search=

peterson just looks much more explosive, and impressive to me and i see nothing but superstar.

in the end don't get me wrong i'm not saying lynch isnt good or wont be good, but if it were my choice im taking peterson anytime, any place.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
dsnyder038

I think its plain as day that we're picking up our franchise back: either Turner in FA or on rd1 of the draft. If we fail to pick up Turner in FA -who we've already expressed interest in, and from what rumors are now coming out, won't be a Charger next season - then we'll either go Peterson at #3, or trade down with the Texans (for which Savage has already spoken to about a trade down) and pick up our franchise back in Lynch.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no argument that Peterson is a better pro prospect than Lynch. No need to show videos when you can get expert testimony from basically any scout you can find that Peterson is more than twice the prospect than Lynch. Also look at how former 2000+ yard rusher and 4.3 RB JJ Arrington from Cal did in the pros. Every back who has played for Tedford pretty much puts up freaky #s especially in the Pac 10. I'd rather have Peterson than Lynch and another 2nd round pick.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:

if you watch those video's. there's only a few difference's that seperate those 2 runners.

Lynch is defiantly the more shifty of the 2. i'll give that to him, and can stop and change direction before anyone else blinks.

Peterson is more physical. his qoal seems more to be, "shoot up the middle, get the promising yards, then go from there."

b/c of lynch's awesome elusiveness, i think he dances around inthe backfield to much. sure, that worked great in college, but young players fall more for fakes and jukes and whatnot. that wont happen nearly as much inthe NFL. i forsee a lot of TFL by opposing NFL defenses against lynch.

Quote:
his numbers' dropped b/c he was hurt. NOT the other way around. his injuries were eitehr freak or common.high ankle sprain? happens all the time.shouldnt even be considered a problem. a broken collor bone? not a severe injury. not career ending. a broken collerbone is one of the longest healing process's for the body to repsond too. that's proven science. it may also get stronger, but thats from personal memory and i may be wrong so PLEASE dont rape me about that.

as far as questions about his running style. he runs' upright, very hard and very fast. very physical. ppl are concerned about it upright running style. but its worked before (eddie george)

there are no questions on his size. you make height a weight a much bigger factor for every position that it really needs to be. age is of not concern for a rookie. tye hill was a 24 YOR. didnt stop him from going in the first rnd. teddy will be 39 this season. altho is best years are long gone. Tiki could still have his best year(s) in front of him, but yet he elected to retire as a fairly young age for a RB.

JRiles, i'll join you on the Peterson bandwagon.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Fresh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If the Brown's don't trade down, I will be very upset. Trading to 7 will still allow us to get AD probably, and if not, we can trade down again and get Lynch, along with a ton of picks. I also pretty much agree with JSimmsy on everything he's said regarding this.

Also, Kalil and Thomas had great combines today. Justin Blalock also had a great day, especially in the weight room (40 reps).
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
GoldenBoy

At the scouting combine today (I was there with the media) I was absolutely blown away with Calvin Johnson. I was there with a lot of other receivers who said their strength is their size, and Calvin makes them look tiny. If he does have the agility he says he has and can leap like he can in game situations... oh my! He's billing himself as a Randy Moss type player with a Marvin Harrison attitude. We could be looking at the "Michael Jordan of Football" If I were Phil Savage I would seriously consider drafting Calvin with the #3 pick, even if the team need is elsewhere. The upside with Calvin is just HUGE!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:39 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

Default Re: Calvin Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBN570
At the scouting combine today (I was there with the media) I was absolutely blown away with Calvin Johnson. I was there with a lot of other receivers who said their strength is their size, and Calvin makes them look tiny. If he does have the agility he says he has and can leap like he can in game situations... oh my! He's billing himself as a Randy Moss type player with a Marvin Harrison attitude. We could be looking at the "Michael Jordan of Football" If I were Phil Savage I would seriously consider drafting Calvin with the #3 pick, even if the team need is elsewhere. The upside with Calvin is just HUGE!
Don't say thattttttt it just complicates everything even more. Potential franchise QBs, RBs, LT, or a WR. I like Peterson but i really wouldn't blink if we picked johnson. How could you be upset with that pick? It would give Edwards a kick in the nuts if nothing else and let him see hes not hot s h it anymore and he better step up his game. Winslow could roam everywhere in the middle too if he ever gets healthy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Re: Calvin Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriles0522
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBN570
Don't say thattttttt it just complicates everything even more. Potential franchise QBs, RBs, LT, or a WR. I like Peterson but i really wouldn't blink if we picked johnson. How could you be upset with that pick? It would give Edwards a kick in the nuts if nothing else and let him see hes not hot s h it anymore and he better step up his game. Winslow could roam everywhere in the middle too if he ever gets healthy.
Yeah, maybe not the first choice, but definitely couldn't be mad if we got him. I would be excited.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Guard

Crennel says you have a starting guard that is an UFA, is he any good? We may lose Dielman (maybe to you guys!!!), you guys got burned with the Bentley injury, this franchise is cursed like the Cubbies in baseball.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

Default Re: Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergo23
Crennel says you have a starting guard that is an UFA, is he any good? We may lose Dielman (maybe to you guys!!!), you guys got burned with the Bentley injury, this franchise is cursed like the Cubbies in baseball.
I'm not positive but i think hes talking about our RG Cosey Coleman. First, if the Browns are letting him walk, he can't be that good, and frankly hes not. He's a veteran guy who could spot start and be a valuable back up for a few years. If you're looking for more, look elsewhere.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

In case you haven't heard, Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 at the combine today. This has many impacts on the Browns.

1) If Johnson keeps blowing people away the Raiders will probably take him #1, meaning Jamarcus Russell will be there at 3 for the Browns. Interestingly enough i just read an article (I'll try to find the link) that said if Jamarcus would fall to 3, savage would take him "in a heartbeat" and make him his "signature draft pick".

2) If Johnson is still availabe at 3, then I say we flip a coin on him or Peterson and frankly, it might just be safer to take CJ, even though as everyone knows i love Peterson.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-25-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
CherryGarcia510
Rookie

CherryGarcia510 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yea after this run if johnson is there i jsut don't think we can pass him up. I know we have other needs but this seems to be a once in a decade player and you don't want to be the team that passed him up. Plus having another good WR wouldnt hurt. Imagine Winslow, CJ, and Braylon at the same time.

props to Eaglez. Fan on the sig
CherryGarcia510 is offline   Reply With Quote