Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 08-11-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, guys like Young and Jayme Mitchell and even Brandon Jackson are young guys whose best football is still ahead of them. Mitchell and Young in particular could be longterm starters for this defense if they pan out. Mitchell has a really high upside.

Also, it sounds like Greg Little hasn't been dropping the ball the past two practices, which is a good sign. Evan Moore has been destroying coverage with his size/speed/height mismatches, can't wait to see him play. Hopefully he stays healthy all year, we'll really need him and Watson to step up.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

preseason game vs the packers on saturday night.

most interested in watching:

Greg Little
Carlton Mitchell
EVAN MOORE!
Jabaal Sheard
and Colt McCoy of course

of course everyone is interested in seeing all the rookies during the preseason, but I wanna see Little and Sheard the most b/c those two are supposed to make a bigger impact this year more than the others. Taylor being great would be a plus, but I'm not expecting him to be a huge dominating DT so early in his career.

intrigued to watch Jayme Mitchell too to see what all the fuss is about from our FO
Old 08-13-2011, 12:07 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
preseason game vs the packers on saturday night.

most interested in watching:

Greg Little
Carlton Mitchell
EVAN MOORE!
Jabaal Sheard
and Colt McCoy of course

of course everyone is interested in seeing all the rookies during the preseason, but I wanna see Little and Sheard the most b/c those two are supposed to make a bigger impact this year more than the others. Taylor being great would be a plus, but I'm not expecting him to be a huge dominating DT so early in his career.

intrigued to watch Jayme Mitchell too to see what all the fuss is about from our FO
I can't argue with any of those. I'm always so excited for preseason; maybe I'm just conditioned after so much losing. The offseason just gives me hope I guess. Anyway. My order of guys I want to watch:

1. Colt (of course; he's the most important guy out there)
2. Jayme Mitchell
3. Hardesty (not sure if he's playing though)
4. Evan Moore
Tie - 5. Usama Young
Tie - 5. Sheard

I just don't know what I'm going to do after this week. I don't get to see any games living down in FL. At least this one is on NFLN.
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like what Heckert has done with the team so far. Last year the rebuilding method wasn't so clear since we kept Mangini and Mangini kept all his veteran players and his system. We were one of the oldest rosters in the league last year and were supposed to be rebuilding. This year we get rid of these veteran players:

Jake Delhomme, Lawrence Vickers, Robert Royal, John St.Clair, Kenyon Coleman, Shaun Rogers, Robaire Smith, David Bowens, Eric Barton, Matt Roth, Abram Elam, Eric Wright, and Nick Sorenson.

Now some of those guys are still young and some of those guys are quite good, but their future didn't fit with the Browns' future. We are now a very young team that has been stripped bare and is being replenished with the bevvy of draft picks the team has had in the past 2 drafts. Next year we will have a ton of picks again including two 1st rounders and two 4th rounders as well I believe, not to mention a few compensatory picks that we are bound to add after losing a bunch of quality free agents this year (notably Roth, Elam, Wright, Vickers, and Smith). We are probably two drafts away from having a very good looking young roster and people will start realizing how much better it is to build through the draft in the mold of Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and San Diego - 4 teams who are good year in and year out and are almost exclusively built with draft picks.

This is all of our young talent, and it will look a lot better after next April (probable long term solutions bolded):

QB-Colt McCoy
RB-Peyton Hillis, Montario Hardesty, Brandon Jackson
FB-Owen Marecic
WR-Greg Little, Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Josh Cribbs, Carlton Michell
TE-Evan Moore, Jordan Cameron
LT-Joe Thomas
LG-Jason Pinkston
C-Alex Mack
RG-Shawn Lauvao, John Greco
RT-

LDE-Jayme Mitchell, Marcus Benard
LDT-Phil Taylor
RDT-Ahtyba Rubin
RDE-Jabaal Sheard
WLB-Kaluka Maiava
MLB-D'Qwell Jackson
SLB-
LCB-Joe Haden, Dimitri Patterson
RCB-Buster Skrine, Coye Francies
FS-Usama Young
SS-TJ Ward, Eric Hagg
It will all be irrelevant if McCoy doesn't take the next step toward being a solid NFL starter. Add in the lack of real impact players on defense and a very average receiving corp and it could be years before we see any positive results especially if we have to start over at QB.
Considering we have 2 very positive franchises in our Division in Pittsburgh and Baltimore, I shudder to think how long it will take to get competitive. Both of them are very solid at QB while it is still a big ??? mark for us.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of all the days to be negative, you pick this one? On the first day of Browns football after a lock out, after McCoy played well against a good defense, and the Browns won the game (albeit a preseason game).

Let me enjoy this. Damn dude.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Yes, if McCoy isn't the answer then of course it will take a little longer. On the flipside, if he has a good year this year and proves that he is the franchise QB, then we aren't as far off from being a contender as we thought. Once you have a franchise QB, the battle is half won.

We are headed in the right direction regardless. We are building the team the correct way and we'll be good eventually. And I disagree about impact players. Haden and Ward are impact players. Taylor and Sheard have potential to be impact players. The FO loves Mitchell, he could be an impact player if he turns into a good pass rusher. Same with Benard. All these guys are very young. We are in the process of laying a foundation of good young cornerstones on defense, if we keep doing that then impact playmakers will emerge.

Enjoy the positives we saw today after Colt's great outing, dont' worry about all that other stuff.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:07 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Browns will be pretty solid. The 3-4 to 4-3 transition will take a little time but they seemed to believe getting these parts in the draft were a top priority this year. I think they have done a good job though with the roster. Next year they should have the "luxury" of drafting an impact WR to help Colt out after not getting Jones this year.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:08 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...back_c_15.html

Article about McCoy working out with Brett Favre in Mississippi this summer to learn the west coast offense. The only thing that possibly can keep this kid from succeeding in the NFL as a starting QB is his physical tools and nothing else IMO.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had read that he was putting on weight for this season but Colt looked noticeably bigger Sat night. Trying to hold off praise for what I thought was an impressive debut by Shurmur and the squad until they play again but I thought the play-calling and execution was solid. Also thought the new defense was solid. They were physical and made few mistakes. But we'll see if it's a trend or not.

But, I did find it interesting that Sam Bradford didn't look that great in his debut under McDaniels. I remember he was not pleased when hearing that Shurmur was leaving. I'm also really liking Shurmur's personality-it's probably just a byproduct of having to listen to Romeo and Mangini all these years.

Norwood was a pleasant surprise. Skrine surprised me but reports said he had moments in camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

click here for optimism. I'll hold off until I see at least one or two more pre-season games.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 AM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

Gentlemen, I happened across this season preview this morning. Since I now live in Florida, I wasn't able to see many of last years games, so I was hoping you guys could fill me in on how accurate of picture this is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterfootball
Given that McCoy is small and fragile, the offensive line has to play better than it did last year. Left guard Eric Steinbach, once a Pro Bowl talent, has been awful the past couple of seasons. At 31, his career could be pretty much over. Pork Chop Womack and John St. Clair, respectively the starting right guard and right tackle in 2010, are both gone. Second-year Shawn Lauvao embarrassed himself in his one career start, but is currently penciled into the right guard slot. The right tackle position is up for grabs, but it appears as though the dreadful Tony Pashos is the favorite.

There are just two lone bright spots up front - left tackle Joe Thomas and center Alex Mack - so McCoy will be fortunate to play all 16 games this year.
1. I was under the impression that Steinbach was still a pretty good guard.

2. I know Pashos has been injured the past couple of years, but is he really dreadful?

I also take issue with calling out Lauvao and McCoy like that seeing as they were both rookies last year. I don't generally expect 3rd round rookies to set the world on fire.

I have a lot of issues with the write up, but will not freak out until Browns fans more in the know than I give their perspective.

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2011cle.php
Old 08-18-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

1-Steinbach was good last year after being injured and playing poorly in 2009 until December of that season where we won 4 in a row.

2-Pashos has been hurt so much that he's missed a lot of games. Great run blocker, we'll see how he does against pass rushers this year.

3-Lauvao had a great training camp last year but got hurt and when he did finally see game action, he looked bad, but HE WAS HURT! He has reportedly looked really good this year and quickly emerged as the starting right guard and looks really quick and strong out there so far in one preseason game (he was a beast against the Packers in those 3 series he did see). If Pashos goes down, Lauvao is our RT, that's how quick his feet are for a guard.

Our offensive line should be very very good this year unless we get bit by the injury bug. Thomas/Steinbach/Mack will be one of the best left sides in football this year again just watch. Places like walterfootball and rotoworld which is ran by fans who just write based on rumors and beat writers are usually very polar about players being great or awful.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear the elf View Post
Gentlemen, I happened across this season preview this morning. Since I now live in Florida, I wasn't able to see many of last years games, so I was hoping you guys could fill me in on how accurate of picture this is...

1. I was under the impression that Steinbach was still a pretty good guard.

2. I know Pashos has been injured the past couple of years, but is he really dreadful?

I also take issue with calling out Lauvao and McCoy like that seeing as they were both rookies last year. I don't generally expect 3rd round rookies to set the world on fire.

I have a lot of issues with the write up, but will not freak out until Browns fans more in the know than I give their perspective.

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2011cle.php
Well, imho I've been concerned about Steinbach for a couple seasons now because at times he's incredibly weak upfront-stronger tackles can just easily bulldoze him and throw him aside. But his strength is the finesse game-pulling/trapping and pass protection and he's very steady at that. I think he is a bit overrated but not awful. (pro bowl alternate right?)

Lauvao is in the same mold. Biggest problem with him is his strength. But because he's young there's room for improvement there. But I don't like letting Womack go.

It's been so long since Pashos was healthy, I really don't know about him. He's got to be about as good if not better than St.Claire though. The Jags were a ferocious running team back when he was a healthy starter but who knows if he's got anything left.

Like I posted earlier, Colt is noticeably bigger this season. I'd say if Bradford can take every snap in Shurmur's offense, there's a decent chance Colt can stay in there.

I think the defense is going to utilize some Jim Johnson type blitzing to compensate for the lack of pass rush. Even though Jauron's system is simplified I think we'll see a good amount of zone blitz.

I like Walt's write ups in general but he does tend to fall in love with or hate certain prospects and players.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Snide86
Rookie

Snide86 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Lauvao is in the same mold. Biggest problem with him is his strength. But because he's young there's room for improvement there. But I don't like letting Womack go.
Are you sure that you're thinking of the right guy? From most of the scouting reports I recall when Lauvao came out, it always said that one of his biggest strengths is well, his strength.

http://www.samoanews.com/viewstory.php?storyid=13131
Quote:
Shawn placed second in the Hawaii Strong Man Competition when he was 16 (in the 16 to 18-year-old age bracket). He won the 2005 Hawaii Strongest Teen competition in April, listed as one of his most exciting sports experiences. He bench presses 420 pounds, squats 500 and power cleans 300, he was lettered five times in football and once in Track & Field
At the combine:
Quote:
Lauvao was a top performer at the combine in the bench press with posting 33 reps, the three-cone drill with a 7.56-second time and in the 20-yard shuttle with a 4.51 second time.
Granted, gym strength doesn't always translate to strength on the field, but it can't hurt. Just something to think about, and perhaps feel a bit better about.
Snide86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snide86 View Post
Are you sure that you're thinking of the right guy? From most of the scouting reports I recall when Lauvao came out, it always said that one of his biggest strengths is well, his strength.

http://www.samoanews.com/viewstory.php?storyid=13131

At the combine:

Granted, gym strength doesn't always translate to strength on the field, but it can't hurt. Just something to think about, and perhaps feel a bit better about.
Mmm I wasn't aware of his numbers, good post. I'm just basing it on what he's looked like so far. He seems to anchor well enough but doesn't get a great push. He's more athletic than the average guard but he's not winning the physical battles consistently. But if he's this strong I guess it's basically about technique and experience.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I see where you're coming from regarding Lauvao. He has good strength and quickness, though he's not relatively huge for a guard (6'2" or 6'3" and 310-315) and he is more of a finesse guy than a nasty mauler considering how strong and stout he is. He was a left tackle at Arizona State. Interesting stat is that four of our starting offensive linemen were left tackles in college (Thomas at Wisconsin, Pashos at Illinois, Steinbach at Iowa, and Lauvao at ASU), with Mack being the only one who wasn't, a center at Cal. Steinbach played guard too in college mostly though with Robert Gallery as the LT. You'd figure our pass blocking this year should be decent eh?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Thomas signed a 7 year extension. God I love this man.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...bowl_left.html
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Thoughts on Evan Moore's concussions?

It's a big issue for him because he tends to run completely upright. He's been cracked more than twice because of this. What's more troubling is the concussion last Friday was a routine hit-nothing devastating.

Random

Maiava played really well against Det. It's early to tell but he looks like a future starter in this defense.

Phil Taylor seemed to shut it down after he made a nice play to cause the fumble. Much to passive for a guy with his size and ability-he really needs to find some dog in his game.

I think it was Haden that concussed Best early in that game-another guy with a serious issue concerning concussions.

Lauvao did indeed play really well against Suh.

Is Marecic looking like the best FB in his draft class? I'm not so sure but it's early.

Cribbs hammy is bad timing-I'd have liked to see him up against Philly's CBs. Is it possible Cribbs is our #1 WR going into the season? Actually I thought he was playing like a #1 early last season before injuries hit him. Sleeper guy to have a breakout season at WR-provided he's stays healthy.

Honestly loved Little's punt. He was like **** it, flag me. It's the kind of brashness that the offense needs imo. Shurmur as a first year guy of course has to scold him but he should have done it with a smile. /random

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 08-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey Brownies, I just want to put somewhere that I am totally rooting for the Browns this season. Love Haden, Ward and the young D, and would really like to see Colt McCoy succeed.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

best parts against Philly:

-Phil Taylor dominated Philly's rookie center and right guard (who was coincidentally his teammate at Baylor and taken just a few spots later in the first round). He flashed that Kris Jenkins/Shaun Rogers type potential as a huge nose tackle who can rush the QB.

-D'Qwell Jackson has been a monster in all three games. That hit on Vick was as clean as it gets, refs made a big mistake. I think D'Qwell has had maybe 3 or 4 TFLS in his entire career in a 3-4 defense, yet he seemed to have 3 or 4 at least just in this preseason alone in the new 4-3. He is a perfect downfield middle linebacker for this scheme, he is so fast to close on the ball carrier.

-Our D-Line created so much pressure that there were basically no throws by Vick to the outside receivers that were completed. Only Jason Avant caught one as a slot guy, everything else was to Celek or the runningbacks. Joe Haden is a beast too, that helps.

-Colt McCoy showed he could throw a great deep ball, though one bounced off Evan Moore's hands in stride that might've gone for 6, and another was caught by Brian Robiskie (Great game by him btw going against Nnamdi) but the pushoff was called (and that was a 50-50 call too, could've gone either way) negating our chance of a touchdown/redzone oppurtunity.

-Hillis is a bulldozer. Glad we only gave him 3 carries as we don't want to wear him down too much, we'll need him all year. He is such a great receiver too and can break tackles out in space like Brandon Jacobs only quicker.

penalties and allowing pressure from only 4 rushers was a problem last night and the reason why Colt didn't have as good of stats as the first two games, but McCoy actually played very well sans the one bad, off the back foot interception throw.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 08-26-2011 at 03:38 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Phil Taylor dominated Philly's rookie center and right guard (who was coincidentally his teammate at Baylor and taken just a few spots later in the first round). He flashed that Kris Jenkins/Shaun Rogers type potential as a huge nose tackle who can rush the QB.
When the pick first happened, I was a little disappointed we had to surrender a third-rounder to move back up for him, but if he continues progressing, it will be a wise investment. Taylor definitely profiles as a corollary to the Planet Theory. There simply aren't many football players that share Taylor's blend of massive size, short-area explosiveness, and raw power. If he hones the finer points of trench play and keeps his weight from ballooning, he could establish himself as a linchpin for this defense for years to come. The titanic bulk of Ahtyba Rubin and Taylor when paired together presents significant problems to interior offensive lineman and frees up other pieces of our defense.

Quote:
D'Qwell Jackson has been a monster in all three games. That hit on Vick was as clean as it gets, refs made a big mistake. I think D'Qwell has had maybe 3 or 4 TFLS in his entire career in a 3-4 defense, yet he seemed to have 3 or 4 at least just in this preseason alone in the new 4-3. He is a perfect downfield middle linebacker for this scheme, he is so fast to close on the ball carrier.
Jackson was certainly shafted when he got flagged for roughing the passer. Their helmets grazed after the hit, but their initial collision was clean, if I recall correctly. He drove through Vick with his shoulder, but I digress...

Jackson was one of the biggest beneficiaries from the transition to the 4-3. While he was still fairly effective and productive in the 3-4, it naturally mitigated his most impressive trait. Jackson's plus athleticism and solid instincts make him a prototypical run-and-hit linebacker. We've really seen that this preseason. He smoothly flows to the ball and closes on the carrier. Rubin and Taylor occupying blockers have made things easier for him. I actually think Jackson could play strongside and weakside very well in this scheme, too. That kind of positional versatility is a luxury for future drafts and free agency periods.

Quote:
Our D-Line created so much pressure that there were basically no throws by Vick to the outside receivers that were completed. Only Jason Avant caught one as a slot guy, everything else was to Celek or the runningbacks. Joe Haden is a beast too, that helps.
I'm excited about our defensive line prospects, but I'm tempering it a little. It's worth noting that all of our preseason opponents are either breaking in new starters along their offensive lines or attempting to patch glaring holes with Band-Aids. These youngsters haven't been tested by anything other than offensive lines in flux.

Quote:
Colt McCoy showed he could throw a great deep ball, though one bounced off Evan Moore's hands in stride that might've gone for 6, and another was caught by Brian Robiskie (Great game by him btw going against Nnamdi) but the pushoff was called (and that was a 50-50 call too, could've gone either way) negating our chance of a touchdown/redzone oppurtunity.
Colt had a live arm when he entered the NFL, but he appears to have worked at it and strengthened it during the lockout. It's not elite or great by any means, and it still concerns me in nasty weather, but it's a promising start. He's grown on me in all other facets of quarterbacking. His gamer attitude, his leadership, his initiative to learn, his tireless work ethic, his insatiable desire to be the best, etc.

Quote:
Hillis is a bulldozer. Glad we only gave him 3 carries as we don't want to wear him down too much, we'll need him all year. He is such a great receiver too and can break tackles out in space like Brandon Jacobs only quicker.
Agreed. For being such a hard-nosed bruiser, his diverse skill set isn't duly appreciated.

Quote:
penalties and allowing pressure from only 4 rushers was a problem last night and the reason why Colt didn't have as good of stats as the first two games, but McCoy actually played very well sans the one bad, off the back foot interception throw.
Colt was fantastic against the Packers. He was pretty good against the Lions. He struggled last night. Granted, it wasn't entirely his fault. But his interception was terrible and he missed some of his marks. That said, he was thrust into the perfect environment for the Eagles. Philadelphia jumped out to an early lead and capitalized on an advantageous situation. Between the score, our quest to implement new passing concepts, and easing our backs into the season, the Eagles knew we were going to throw. So they went to their nickel defense, pinned their ears back, and came after Colt. That nickel defense is absolutely disgusting. I didn't expect Colt to thrive in that situation. And, let's be honest, our receivers are grossly outmatched against that kind of talented subpackage.

Overall, I've been encouraged and pleased with the direction we've seen this preseason.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

^As am I. I don't really have a problem with that dress rehearsal. If it was a reg season game we would have ran the ball more (Philly's weakness)and controlled the tempo better.

Someone lit a fire under Taylor. After last game and reading reports some were questioning his intensity, he brought it Thurs. Eagles line is young and in flux but our d line is going through a bigger transition transition and is younger than most of our opponents and it did what you would want it to do-control things upfront. A few mistakes here and there (Sheard) but it's to be expected.

Defense overall played well. Basically we were beaten by Vick by himself. Sheard also looks promising-he's playing pretty well for a rookie and looks like he's gotten more comfortable each game.

Colt is also growing on me. His deep balls have been pretty much on the money and if not for some cheapy calls and a fluke Moore drop, 1st team would have put points up. I also like that Little was featured to start things.

Hardesty seemed to look more comfortable after his first carry. It will be good to see he and Hillis together back there. I didn't think our protection was bad at all, considering what we were doing to their line.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
President Mike Holmgren and coach Pat Shurmur consider Massaquoi their "No. 1 receiver," and apparently don't believe Little is ready for a starting job despite back-to-back solid preseason games. The first-team receiver corps in Cleveland has Massaquoi at Z, Brian Robiskie at X, and Jordan Norwood in the slot.
Smh. Cribbs, if healthy, is the better option there than Massaquoi. He's had a good camp at WR thus far and only recently been set back with a hamstring. Cribbs is more physical and explosive than Massa and imo is better at catching in a crowd. The only thing Massa does better is route running-important yes, but Cribbs just needs more live reps there to be better. And is just me, or does it seem like Little and Shurmur on not really hitting it off? 4th or 5th WR is kind of in the doghouse.

For his first NFL start, other than allowing Patterson to beat him one one play, Pinkston played pretty well at LG. Looks like a keeper-fortunate, because Steinbach might be finished-forever.

With B.Jackson down and out-he was one of the slowest backs I've seen this pre season-BEFORE the turf toe-we ought to sign Chester Taylor, who's about to be released.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 08-29-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=keylime_5;2651129]
We are headed in the right direction regardless. We are building the team the correct way and we'll be good eventually. And I disagree about impact players. Haden and Ward are impact players. Taylor and Sheard have potential to be impact players. The FO loves Mitchell, he could be an impact player if he turns into a good pass rusher. Same with Benard. All these guys are very young. We are in the process of laying a foundation of good young cornerstones on defense, if we keep doing that then impact playmakers will emerge.

Here I disagree. As a fan of the Lions as well as Cleveland, I have watched as they rebuilt from a 0-16 season, the right way. Sure they drafted as bit higher than Cleveland but they drafted the correct way under their new management team and if Stafford stays healthy, they will move into the top teams class by 2012-2013 season. They added Stafford, Suh, and Johnson as true impact players with Fairley another possibility down the line.
They aren't talking about potential and who the FO likes, they can now point to the great players on their roster while we still wonder just how good the McCoy's, Taylor's, Sheard's, Bernard's and Mitchell will become. IMO, none of them are true impact players.
As long as Cleveland continues to trade out of the top 10 with the draft, they will have a long road to haul to reach contender status.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

You think we're not adding impact players in this rebuild? Colt McCoy, Peyton Hillis, Montario Hardesty, TJ Ward, Joe Haden, Evan Moore, Greg Little, Phil Taylor, Jabaal Sheard.....all of these guys have the potential to be impact playmakers for this team if they aren't already are. And what's more, you don't win championships by collecting talent on the outside in, you win championships by dominating the line of scrimmage - especially in the AFC North competing with Pittsburgh and Baltimore - and by adding Taylor and Sheard and Thomas and Mack instead of so called "impact" players all while acquiring extra quality draft picks to fill out the rest of the roster with we are well on our way to doing that. Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore and New England have all reached contender status without picking in the top 10.

Detroit picks in the top 10 like every year. For every Matthew Stafford, Ndamukong Suh, and Calvin Johnson you have Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, and Ernie Sims. They would've been better off trading out of their top 10 spot and acquiring core players instead of wasting picks on those "impact players." It's not like the Browns traded away sure things like Suh or Johnson either, they traded away the rights to Julio Jones and Mark Sanchez. I'll take Colt McCoy, Greg Little, Phil Taylor, Alex Mack, and all the extra picks we got in between gladly.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 08-31-2011 at 05:04 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote