Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 06-09-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Yeah, he's done in Chi-town, it sounds like. I can't fault the Bears for drafting Benson, I really thought it would be a perfect fit.

The Bears can move on with Forte, Peterson, and Wolfe. That trio can do good things, hoping we see Wolfe more on third downs.
ive been championing that approach for a little while now actually.

forte on first and 2nd, AP giving him a breather every few series, and wolfe in on the passing downs.......could work.

i think we got by with worse at points last year and still came away 7-9
Old 06-09-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great thing: We dont have to see his sorry ass for the first couple of weeks

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
great thing: We dont have to see his sorry ass for the first couple of weeks
Or ever again.
Make that 0 for the last 3 1st round running backs.
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think any of us should be glad, but rather disappointed. Disappointed that once such a good, as close as you can get to a can't miss prospect, is now gone after 3 years. I was one of his biggest backers, but he was a person of horrible judgment. I personally would have given him more time depending on how the charges fell into place and such, but I have no problem with him being cut now for being a freakin dumbass. He wasn't as bad as Tank though, as Tank was a thug more or less. Benson is like his idol Ricky Williams and likes to get hosed up, which isn't a good thing, but it's not as bad as having 100 guns and getting into gun fights at bars.

Oh well, I just wish this happened before the draft so we could have gotten someone like Hillis, Hester (Jacob that is), or Schmitt in the draft. I don't think even if we did cut Benson before the draft, we would have done anything different with the 1st two picks.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't think any of us should be glad, but rather disappointed. Disappointed that once such a good, as close as you can get to a can't miss prospect, is now gone after 3 years. I was one of his biggest backers, but he was a person of horrible judgment. I personally would have given him more time depending on how the charges fell into place and such, but I have no problem with him being cut now for being a freakin dumbass. He wasn't as bad as Tank though, as Tank was a thug more or less. Benson is like his idol Ricky Williams and likes to get hosed up, which isn't a good thing, but it's not as bad as having 100 guns and getting into gun fights at bars.

Oh well, I just wish this happened before the draft so we could have gotten someone like Hillis, Hester (Jacob that is), or Schmitt in the draft. I don't think even if we did cut Benson before the draft, we would have done anything different with the 1st two picks.
well ive been saying i think forte one 1st and 2nd downs, AP spelling him now and then, and Wolfe on passing situations could work out.

problem is now, i keep hearing how we should go after shaun alexander or travis henry...blah blah blah.....

no thanks...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing about getting Alexander or Henry is, in my opinion, they're not the vets you want teaching your young guys. They won't set the right tone, I think.

But I think Henry can still play. Alexander on Soldier Field isn't a fit imo.

There will be some RBs cut after training camp to keep an eye on, as well.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The thing about getting Alexander or Henry is, in my opinion, they're not the vets you want teaching your young guys. They won't set the right tone, I think.

But I think Henry can still play. Alexander on Soldier Field isn't a fit imo.

There will be some RBs cut after training camp to keep an eye on, as well.
deuce mccallister? i know your not talking about the great kenton keith right? lol
Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You've just triggered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Reply
I hate Kenton Keith for all eternity and never want to see him in a Colts uniform ever again.
Maybe Marcel Shipp in Arizona? Philly has to cut at least one back, likely Ryan Moats, but he's not really a guy who could start if need be for the Bears. Remember I've always liked the idea of LaMont Jordan in Chicago, even though he's awful at conditioning himself.

Are the Bears going to carry 4 backs anyways? They already have a fullback, and there's only so many players you can keep. Especially when the Bears need depth at OL, DL, LB, CB, and S.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Kevin Jones still available?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
well ive been saying i think forte one 1st and 2nd downs, AP spelling him now and then, and Wolfe on passing situations could work out.

problem is now, i keep hearing how we should go after shaun alexander or travis henry...blah blah blah.....

no thanks...
I hate that idea of using Wolfe on passing situations only because you are pretty much telling the other team "Okay, we're gonna pass now." Forte is an every down back, and he has the receiving and blocking ability to be one. Wolfe and Peterson should be backups, plain and simple.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I hate that idea of using Wolfe on passing situations only because you are pretty much telling the other team "Okay, we're gonna pass now." Forte is an every down back, and he has the receiving and blocking ability to be one. Wolfe and Peterson should be backups, plain and simple.
ok, its not quite that blatently obvious......but its in a similar way to....idk....how the pats use kevin faulk.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ok, its not quite that blatently obvious......but its in a similar way to....idk....how the pats use kevin faulk.
yeah i like that, and if things dont start out to well, vets ARE available. Kevin Jones is my pick, but hell we might be a better team with these three sharing the load.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone ever left the Lions and done well elsewhere? (We can debate how many players actually do well in Detroit but that's another story)

I just have the feeling that if Detroit cut him, and nobody else picked up him, he's probably not going to play this year. He's been sitting for too long for somebody to not want to give him a chance.

I'd just bring in another UDFA or two. Let competition sort it out, it's not like we're strong in any other area on offense, unless you count tight end.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Stecker could be an option if a deal could be struck to trade w/ the Saints to trade for him.

I still think Travis Henry is probably the best option for you guys that is available right now.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Aaron Stecker could be an option if a deal could be struck to trade w/ the Saints to trade for him.

I still think Travis Henry is probably the best option for you guys that is available right now.
i really kind of doubt we'd dump one trouble making RB who is possibly teetering on the edge of suspension for another...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
The Bears can still run the ball with Wolfe imo, especially with draw plays, and you're right in saying he shouldn't just come in on third downs only. Granted he probably won't see many 3rd and 1s, you know, but he can do some things on the ground and in the air. Rookie Matt Forte might get the most touches, but Peterson and Wolfe are capable backs experienced in the offense and could carry most of the load for this season really.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The Bears can still run the ball with Wolfe imo, especially with draw plays, and you're right in saying he shouldn't just come in on third downs only. Granted he probably won't see many 3rd and 1s, you know, but he can do some things on the ground and in the air. Rookie Matt Forte might get the most touches, but Peterson and Wolfe are capable backs experienced in the offense and could carry most of the load for this season really.
i think AP serves the team the best working all of the aspects of special teams like he does and just giving the main back a breather from time to time....i think our team was hurting towards the end last year with him getting most of the work.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Peterson might also be the best pass protector right now, Forte's got some learning to do and Wolfe is better served chipping a guy (on a route). He was a good draft pick for the Bears, definitely.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Peterson might also be the best pass protector right now, Forte's got some learning to do and Wolfe is better served chipping a guy (on a route).
i understand that though if you had to play a rookie at one spot on your team, i think just about everyone would pick for it to be at RB.

I'm willing to bet with Benson cut now, AP will move to #1 on the depth chart but like i said, his best value to us imo is playing all of the aspects of special teams and subbing from time to time. i think forte will have every chance to supplant him as the starter if things stay as they are now.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

The most important offseason goal for the Bears hasn't changed: get the offensive line back to being consistently good. That will set up both the passing game and the running game for a chance at success, because there was little chance for either with the swiss cheese penalty-fest OL play we saw last season. But I think the Bears are very much focused on that goal, which is great for them imo. Seems there's healthy competition at LT between John St. Clair and Chris Williams, which is good to see.

Getting Kirk Barton at the end of the Draft was a really good pick btw, really good pick. As was Marcus Monk, stellar pick there. Bears cleaned up in the 7th round.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i understand that though if you had to play a rookie at one spot on your team, i think just about everyone would pick for it to be at RB.

I'm willing to bet with Benson cut now, AP will move to #1 on the depth chart but like i said, his best value to us imo is playing all of the aspects of special teams and subbing from time to time. i think forte will have every chance to supplant him as the starter if things stay as they are now.
if he is a #1, it'd be a #1 in name only. "starting" is an overrated concept when touches will probably be 50 forte, 35 AP, 15 Wolfe (percentages).

I do disagree about the pats and kevin faulk though. More like the packers pre-ryan grant i think would be the more analogous situation (although, forte > morancey)

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
if he is a #1, it'd be a #1 in name only. "starting" is an overrated concept when touches will probably be 50 forte, 35 AP, 15 Wolfe (percentages).

I do disagree about the pats and kevin faulk though. More like the packers pre-ryan grant i think would be the more analogous situation (although, forte > morancey)
ok....#1 in name only then. the guy who starts out the game and gets the most touches. however we need to say that for it to make sense to everyone else.

i was just saying about forte "being #1" because lovie had said that it was bensons job and all rookies need to work their way up or some such thing.

well, i think forte will work past AP
Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ok....#1 in name only then. the guy who starts out the game and gets the most touches. however we need to say that for it to make sense to everyone else.

i was just saying about forte "being #1" because lovie had said that it was bensons job and all rookies need to work their way up or some such thing.

well, i think forte will work past AP
i'm saying forte won't get #1 touches. i think no one will get more than 50% of the touches this year (if no on gets more than 50%, imo they're not a #1). jason mckie also will probably get more IMO.

i agree forte will work his way and be the de facto #1 on the depth chart. but he's far from it

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

If he'd be willing to play guard... we should really make a play for LeCharles Bentley.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
If he'd be willing to play guard... we should really make a play for LeCharles Bentley.
couldn't hurt just as an extra body to work with. he'd have to be willing to sign for cheap though because his injuries bother me