Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Vikings game review

The game yesterday couldn't be described as much more than an unmitigated disaster. That was one of the worst games I've seen the Chargers play and definitely the worst they've played in the last four seasons. Something inside of the Chargers really has changed. When you say a team breaks an all time rushing record on the Chargers, it seems unbelievable given the personnel, but it's the truth.

From watching the Chargers this season, I really have to question, what happened to Charger football? You know, the physical style of play we have had the last few seasons that dominated the front lines? This team has become a finesse team, and not a very good one at that.

We all know that Adrian Peterson is a special running back and the Vikings have a great left side of their offensive line, which would be a reasonable explaination if they had given up 150-200 yards on the ground. 360 is just an insane number and should never happen (remember, we had a supposedly healthy Jamal Williams, well, he didn't look that healthy in there, getting pushed back alot)

On offense, I will give them credit for knowing we would try to throw the ball, and for having the book on Rivers - blitz him up the middle. Read the discussion thread, it's been an issue since last year. That's why we needed to be patient with the running game (Charger football) after halftime and we weren't. They scored on their opening drive, we got a little cute and had some unencouraging runs, they scored the next drive, we totally abandon the run game. The Chargers must have lost the T.O.P. in the second half by a mile.

Bad bad game, and now they have the Colts coming up.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
The game yesterday couldn't be described as much more than an unmitigated disaster. That was one of the worst games I've seen the Chargers play and definitely the worst they've played in the last four seasons. Something inside of the Chargers really has changed. When you say a team breaks an all time rushing record on the Chargers, it seems unbelievable given the personnel, but it's the truth.

From watching the Chargers this season, I really have to question, what happened to Charger football? You know, the physical style of play we have had the last few seasons that dominated the front lines? This team has become a finesse team, and not a very good one at that.

We all know that Adrian Peterson is a special running back and the Vikings have a great left side of their offensive line, which would be a reasonable explaination if they had given up 150-200 yards on the ground. 360 is just an insane number and should never happen (remember, we had a supposedly healthy Jamal Williams, well, he didn't look that healthy in there, getting pushed back alot)

On offense, I will give them credit for knowing we would try to throw the ball, and for having the book on Rivers - blitz him up the middle. Read the discussion thread, it's been an issue since last year. That's why we needed to be patient with the running game (Charger football) after halftime and we weren't. They scored on their opening drive, we got a little cute and had some unencouraging runs, they scored the next drive, we totally abandon the run game. The Chargers must have lost the T.O.P. in the second half by a mile.

Bad bad game, and now they have the Colts coming up.

Yeah I've just seen extensive highlights on the gmae which just reminds me how bad our safeties are. I'm all for Mccree i love his big hits and big play every now and then, but this game really put a bad spotlight on him. He is a mismatch waiting to happen both passing and rushing. Keil is bad too, even worse as a matter of fact. I hate to say it, despite JK17's crush on him, weddle cant be the full time answer. We could tackle this guy and honestly i would feel alot better if we had a big guy playing safety who can really hit somebody. I'd love a John Lynch type or someone with build. We gotta spend our first round pick on a safety, we just have to.

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Safety is one of the harder positions for rookies, I feel. Players have to get to the point where they know the defense well enough that they don't hurt themselves thinking, rather they are reacting and that allows them to make plays. BBD has a great quote from Parcells summing up this very thing, I know it is a point of emphasis with Coach Dungy (and that's with the base Cover 2/Tampa 2 defense). So I wouldn't write off Weddle just yet.

Was the Chargers' offensive line struggling in pass protection yesterday, leading Rivers to have such a poor outing and likely the biggest reason Antonio Gates couldn't hurt the soft zones of the Vikings' pass defense? If the Colts can generate similar pressure with their front four, that can really help the Colts.

Last edited by Geo : 11-05-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
Yeah I've just seen extensive highlights on the gmae which just reminds me how bad our safeties are. I'm all for Mccree i love his big hits and big play every now and then, but this game really put a bad spotlight on him. He is a mismatch waiting to happen both passing and rushing. Keil is bad too, even worse as a matter of fact. I hate to say it, despite JK17's crush on him, weddle cant be the full time answer. We could tackle this guy and honestly i would feel alot better if we had a big guy playing safety who can really hit somebody. I'd love a John Lynch type or someone with build. We gotta spend our first round pick on a safety, we just have to.
You're all for McCree yet he's been out of position almost the entire game? Then you talk about Terrence Kiel...can you point him out to me on our active roster, I'm a little confused...

And please, by all means, after 8 games in his career....8 games in which he's looked fairly sharp in, give up on Weddle. I can't think of a better idea...especially because he was the only player who looked bad yesterday and all....Weddle is 5'11, 200 pounds, he's got enough size...he's not huge, but he's big enough. I think its ridiculous your ready to give up on someone after 8 games...all that will lead to is a revolving door of undeveloped players. Safety is an issue; getting rid of Weddle won't fix it.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weddle didn't appear to be playing very much to me yesterday. This year he is basically a "rover" and they've been using him alot to blitz and do different things. I see Weddle playing in mostly dime packages which weren't used very much yesterday. Clinton Hart is the guy who got the bulk of the snaps and he missed quite a few tackles, and McCree missed a ton and took lots of bad angles. Florence was pathetic. Usually if DB's don't fill, they contain, and visa versa. Yesterday they neither filled, nor contained. I don't blame Weddle and I like how he's played in his role all season.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
You're all for McCree yet he's been out of position almost the entire game? Then you talk about Terrence Kiel...can you point him out to me on our active roster, I'm a little confused...

And please, by all means, after 8 games in his career....8 games in which he's looked fairly sharp in, give up on Weddle. I can't think of a better idea...especially because he was the only player who looked bad yesterday and all....Weddle is 5'11, 200 pounds, he's got enough size...he's not huge, but he's big enough. I think its ridiculous your ready to give up on someone after 8 games...all that will lead to is a revolving door of undeveloped players. Safety is an issue; getting rid of Weddle won't fix it.
hold on there buddy, first i made a littel mistake with kiel yeah my bad.. by yeah anyways i didnt say give up on weddle... no way do would i say that. What I'm implying is that both safeties need to go.. Weddle can be one of the safeties but in all honesty i dont think he can carry that group like a great safety could. Hes gonna need to lean on another, bigger safety for help. the numbers of his weight and height really dont paint the picture with him. jammer is a corner, typicaly a smaller position, and he looks like a monster next to weddle.

sig by bosanac01
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Safety is one of the harder positions for rookies, I feel. Players have to get to the point where they know the defense well enough that they don't hurt themselves thinking, rather they are reacting and that allows them to make plays. BBD has a great quote from Parcells summing up this very thing, I know it is a point of emphasis with Coach Dungy (and that's with the base Cover 2/Tampa 2 defense). So I wouldn't write off Weddle just yet.

Was the Chargers' offensive line struggling in pass protection yesterday, leading Rivers to have such a poor outing and likely the biggest reason Antonio Gates couldn't hurt the soft zones of the Vikings' pass defense? If the Colts can generate similar pressure with their front four, that can really help the Colts.
The Vikings blitzed EJ Henderson alot, and doubled Gates. I know the Vikings are primarily a cover 2 team, but they gave the Chargers alot of man to man looks. Rivers was targeting Chambers for most of the game, and when he had a five step drop he was getting buried. Even when the Vikings didn't blitz, Ray Edwards beat McNeil on more than one occasion and caused a fumble.

Turner's main strategy was to pick on Marcus McCauley with Chambers, but Rivers couldn't get the ball out due to the pressure, and just flat out missed other throws. The run game was abandoned with about 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

They really did have a good defensive gameplan and they were confident they could stop LT, and they did.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
The Vikings blitzed EJ Henderson alot, and doubled Gates. I know the Vikings are primarily a cover 2 team, but they gave the Chargers alot of man to man looks. Rivers was targeting Chambers for most of the game, and when he had a five step drop he was getting buried. Even when the Vikings didn't blitz, Ray Edwards beat McNeil on more than one occasion and caused a fumble.

Turner's main strategy was to pick on Marcus McCauley with Chambers, but Rivers couldn't get the ball out due to the pressure, and just flat out missed other throws. The run game was abandoned with about 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

They really did have a good defensive gameplan and they were confident they could stop LT, and they did.
Why is that? its so obvious now that that has to be an answer as to why we're ddoing so poorly.. .what has changed since last year so dramatically? i dont understand... is it all really just coaching or was LT and our offense as overrated and overrachieving as some of the players and teams whose hot air balloons we like to deflate so often..

sig by bosanac01
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's all a compounding problem.

If the OL can hold their blocks a few seconds longer, Rivers hits Gates and Jackson downfield - things open up more for LT.

If Jackson and the other WR's consistenctly made the average catches that are expected from a starting WRs - things would open up a lot more.

If the defense played at the level if did last year - we'd have an opportunity to start a lot more drives out in good field position and wouldn't feel it is necessary to throw every third down.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

zdh87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Chargers fans we need to relax. Refer to my post in the Luis Castillo thread. Cromartie is a man-child. Chambers has become a target for us. We're still in first place. Remember what happened last year: we lost Merriman for 4 games and Shaun Phillips during that same span. We had two back up OLBs and still held it together. It'll be okay. The D will prove themselves worthy this week.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdh87 View Post
Chargers fans we need to relax. Refer to my post in the Luis Castillo thread. Cromartie is a man-child. Chambers has become a target for us. We're still in first place. Remember what happened last year: we lost Merriman for 4 games and Shaun Phillips during that same span. We had two back up OLBs and still held it together. It'll be okay. The D will prove themselves worthy this week.
Something else was different too...oh yeah, the coaching staff, motivation level, and overall level of play.

Not saying the end of the world is near, and not saying we can't hold together...but its not like anything has given us indication this year that it will.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote