Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
hahaha

I don't believe you are actually writing this. Street smart? Book smart? Give me a break. That is garbage.

How is not going to class, ignoring your schoolwork, and just copying off somebody or whatever better than going to class, doing your schoolwork, and earning your grade? How does "playing the system" make you a better worker?
Just wait and see who is the most successful. The book smart and street smart thing was just for lack of better ways to describe it, you know what I meant by it.

Those people who follow all the rules, work hard, yes they will be successful, they will be management at large companies. Those who know how to work the system will be the CEO's and owners of those same companies. The way to get the **** you money is knowing how to play the system. The way to live a comfortable, nondescript life is to bust your ass on meaningless assignments.

Have you ever heard the term, work smarter, not harder?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

CannedToast hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
Tell me, as a boss, would you rather have someone who is "street smart" or "book smart?" The people who get things done are the ones who can play the system. Those are the people you want on your side, those are the people who will be wildly successful. Those are the people who will do the dirty work needed to be successful.
Hell, as a Boss I would want the guy who was a known cheater, so I could hire someone to watch over him constantly to a) do his work and b) not cheat the company out of any money. That's obviously a better option than someone who is obviously bright, hard worker, and someone with integrity who won't stab the company in the back.
CannedToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
hahaha

I don't believe you are actually writing this. Street smart? Book smart? Give me a break. That is garbage.

How is not going to class, ignoring your schoolwork, and just copying off somebody or whatever better than going to class, doing your schoolwork, and earning your grade? How does "playing the system" make you a better worker?
Nice guys finish last.

yes im kidding
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. I have no practical experience because I am not sure what I am going to do. As of now, I am planning on coaching football, so playing for Jerry Glanville is my practical experience. But I have no idea if I will still plan on doing that in three years when I graduate.

I also respect his ethics, but I would also like to point out, that people like you are the people that people like me will take advantage of.
Yeah i'm not saying its the bets thing to do, cause i hate it. I want to have the proper University experience that Moses talks about, but i am going to do it for 12 months so i can say i have experience in the real world and don't come out of uni totally useless. Hell, i dont even know if this is what i want to do, in fact im pretty sure its not what i want to do. But the truth is its still gonna help me in the longterm so im gonna slog it out for 12 months, go overseas for 12 months (and hopefully come back with a clearer idea of what i want to do with my life) and come back, nail out a university degree in whatever it is i chose then get this education rubbish behind me and move on.

haha, what am i even talking about anymore? just a note for all of you, try to get home before 4am when you have to work at 8:30 the next morning caue otherwise it could result in rambling such as this
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Just wait and see who is the most successful. The book smart and street smart thing was just for lack of better ways to describe it, you know what I meant by it.

Those people who follow all the rules, work hard, yes they will be successful, they will be management at large companies. Those who know how to work the system will be the CEO's and owners of those same companies. The way to get the **** you money is knowing how to play the system. The way to live a comfortable, nondescript life is to bust your ass on meaningless assignments.
Right, I'm sure Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Sergei Brin & Larry Page, Steve Jobs, etc. just gamed their way through school...
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedToast View Post
Hell, as a Boss I would want the guy who was a known cheater, so I could hire someone to watch over him constantly to a) do his work and b) not cheat the company out of any money. That's obviously a better option than someone who is obviously bright, hard worker, and someone with integrity who won't stab the company in the back.
Yes, like I said in my last post, those people who play by the rules will be management, but those who break those rules will be the boss. Sorry, but look throughout history at successful people, what do just about all have in common? They bent and broke rules to get where they are.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
Right, I'm sure Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Sergei Brin & Larry Page, Steve Jobs, etc. just gamed their way through school...
HEY! Hey...

Bill Gates was, and still is, a money making playa.
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right, so you need experience, knowledge, and skills...

Don't know what your point is.
haha, either really. Just that i think your over-valuing the nitty-gritty of an education when it comes to life after college/university
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Yes, like I said in my last post, those people who play by the rules will be management, but those who break those rules will be the boss. Sorry, but look throughout history at successful people, what do just about all have in common? They bent and broke rules to get where they are.
Name some examples of people who cheated their way through school and are successful.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
Yes. And the evidence for that is right here *pulls folder out of ass*.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
familyguy555
Pro Bowler

familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Well Bill Gates didn't even finish school.

sig made by BoneKrusher
familyguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't go to college. Warren Buffet sure seemed to game his way into his business deals. I didn't say that people had to cheat to be able to play the system, but if someone is very good at cheating, it is obvious they can play the system.

Sergei Brin and Larry Page are exceptions, but it also has to do with the type of work they went into.
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguy555 View Post
Well Bill Gates didn't even finish school.
Right, but he also went to a super prestige school and was learning tons of stuff on his own. He had a great idea so he went and ran with it. He didn't "game" his school to get by. He decided to go out on his own and start his own company.
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
Also, you said "as a boss, would you rather." That's idiotic, no boss would hire a known cheater over someone he believes to be an intelligent hard worker. This isn't that goddamn mafia.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Name some examples of people who cheated their way through school and are successful.
That is an impossible thing to do. But I will bet you ANYTHING that the vast majority of people, successful or not cheat.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't go to college. Warren Buffet sure seemed to game his way into his business deals. I didn't say that people had to cheat to be able to play the system, but if someone is very good at cheating, it is obvious they can play the system.

Sergei Brin and Larry Page are exceptions, but it also has to do with the type of work they went into.
Both Gates and Jobs went to college but dropped out to start their companies.

Give some examples of people who cheated their way through college and are successful. That is your argument, so back it up.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That is an impossible thing to do. But I will bet you ANYTHING that the vast majority of people, successful or not cheat.
Oh really? What evidence do you have for that claim?

Wait, I forgot, you're just making stuff up.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

And the street smart, book smart thing. In my opinion it is a 100% relevant and legitimate term. You'll often find girls to be the book smart hard workers (terrible generalisation but stick with me) and atleast in my state most of the top acheivers in the state's standardised testing are females. Now look at the business world, what sex are most of the top acheivers around the world?

Now i know this is pretty much a ridiculous statement with not even half a leg to stand on, but in my head it makes sense. I refer you to Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd in the 1983 classic, 'Trading Places'. Not only will you thoroughly enjoy it, but you will also learn something of the concept of 'street smart, book smart'.

haha, im absolutely dillusional, but its time for lunch so i don't care
Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
Wow. So, based on no evidence whatsoever, you're going to make an entire argument? Circular logic, for the win. Did you know that things are flammable because they contain phlogestin?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
And the street smart, book smart thing. In my opinion it is a 100% relevant and legitimate term. You'll often find girls to be the book smart hard workers (terrible generalisation but stick with me) and atleast in my state most of the top acheivers in the state's standardised testing are females. Now look at the business world, what sex are most of the top acheivers around the world?

Now i know this is pretty much a ridiculous statement with not even half a leg to stand on, but in my head it makes sense. I refer you to Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd in the 1983 classic, 'Trading Places'. Not only will you thoroughly enjoy it, but you will also learn something of the concept of 'street smart, book smart'.

haha, im absolutely dillusional, but its time for lunch so i don't care
Right, I'm sure the reason women make less than men has to do with "book smart" verus "street smart". Not like gender biases, tendencies, or work/life balance have anything do with it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
And the street smart, book smart thing. In my opinion it is a 100% relevant and legitimate term. You'll often find girls to be the book smart hard workers (terrible generalisation but stick with me) and atleast in my state most of the top acheivers in the state's standardised testing are females. Now look at the business world, what sex are most of the top acheivers around the world.
Wow.

Wow.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thats silly. Nobodys gonna openly explain their cheating expierences.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedToast View Post
Also, you said "as a boss, would you rather." That's idiotic, no boss would hire a known cheater over someone he believes to be an intelligent hard worker. This isn't that goddamn mafia.
I never said a known cheater. Here is an example of what I mean. Way to put words in my mouth. As a boss, tell me which you would rather have working for you. Both of these people never miss deadlines, and their work is of equal quality. Would you rather hire that guy who stays late every day busting his ass to get it done, or would you rather hire that guy who is out of their at 5 oclock every day, yet always somehow gets high quality work done on time? I would take the latter every single time. Odds are, that guy is playing the system, but he gets more done in less time.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
I never said a known cheater. Here is an example of what I mean. Way to put words in my mouth. As a boss, tell me which you would rather have working for you. Both of these people never miss deadlines, and their work is of equal quality. Would you rather hire that guy who stays late every day busting his ass to get it done, or would you rather hire that guy who is out of their at 5 oclock every day, yet always somehow gets high quality work done on time? I would take the latter every single time. Odds are, that guy is playing the system, but he gets more done in less time.
If he's playing the system, he's playing YOUR system. Which means somewhere along the line you're the one getting jobbed.

Jesus, think for three seconds.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What? How would somebody with less skills and knowledge get stuff done faster than a guy with more skills and knowledge. That makes no sense.