Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Which way is she turning?
Clockwise 71 62.28%
Counter Clockwise 43 37.72%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
How are you so sure your way is correct but? I can only see counter and can't even imagine how anyone else can see it different
I know because I have two working eyes and it's plain as day that she is turning clockwise. There is no disputing that, because it is fact.

I've seen many optical illusions that are very deceiving, but this is not one of them. It's pretty easy to see that she is constantly turning to her right. I can understand why some people may be able to see the illusion, but the actual image is most definitely continuously turning clockwise. Whatever illusion people are seeing in this is just that; an illusion.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
I know because I have two working eyes and it's plain as day that she is turning clockwise. There is no disputing that, because it is fact.

I've seen many optical illusions that are very deceiving, but this is not one of them. It's pretty easy to see that she is constantly turning to her right. I can understand why some people may be able to see the illusion, but the actual image is most definitely continuously turning clockwise. Whatever illusion people are seeing in this is just that; an illusion.
This picture isn't actually possible.

Take a look at this

I think this is a good picture to show how this works.
You can look at this one of two ways.
A)She is standing on her right foot...turning clockwise. AKA she is turning into you.
B)She is standing on her left foot....turning counterclockwise. AKA she is turning away from you

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is more visual help.
Clockwise

Counter-clockwise

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post

Take a look at this

A)She is standing on her right foot...turning clockwise. AKA she is turning into you.
B)She is standing on her left foot....turning counterclockwise. AKA she is turning away from you
Well, I see what you're saying, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual image is constantly turning clockwise. That handicapped ballet dancer may have a mangled leg, but that alone shouldn't fool people so easily, imo.

The picture is possible because it is here in front of us. You've shown what led people to trick themselves into believing she was turning counterclockwise, but the fact remains that their eyes were just deceiving them.

I'm not saying I don't believe that people see the illusion. I'm just saying that she is in fact turning clockwise.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well, I see what you're saying, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual image is constantly turning clockwise. That handicapped ballet dancer may have a mangled leg, but that alone shouldn't fool people so easily, imo.

The picture is possible because it is here in front of us. You've shown what led people to trick themselves into believing she was turning counterclockwise, but the fact remains that their eyes were just deceiving them.

I'm not saying I don't believe that people see the illusion. I'm just saying that she is in fact turning clockwise.
Not true the perception of the foot facing forward or backward doesn't change it one way or the other...there isn't one way that is right or one way that it wrong...it is just how you preceive the given image.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Not true the perception of the foot facing forward or backward doesn't change it one way or the other...there isn't one way that is right or one way that it wrong...it is just how you preceive the given image.
Well you can choose to think what you want, but the gif is spinning clockwise. That's a fact. I can see how somebody could look at the still images you posted and see it either way, but the actual gif is definitely spinning clockwise. Those who've seen it moving counterclockwise were seeing an optical illusion.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Ok, I'll eat my words and change my view on this.

My apologies to thule, 7-11 and others for being stubborn.

In reality, she is not spinning at all. This is just a series of 2D images that our brains automatically try to perceive as a fluid 3D movement.

When you look at the individual images, you can flip her around on any of them and it looks correct for the most part. That's very common with silhouettes. Although sometimes it looks like she'd fall on her ass due to an extreme imbalance of perceived weight distribution.

Therefore, the switch in peoples minds can happen at any time in the sequence. It really is just an illusion either way, because she is not real and 'she' isn't spinning at all.

It really does piss me off that I can only see it going clockwise though. Which is probably why I insisted that it was only an illusion if it were perceived to be going counter. I am left-handed, so that may explain why I can't get it to flip, considering that even most right-handers see it as clockwise at first, too.

Damn you, d-unit. I wasted too much time staring at and thinking about this. The human brain is indeed quite fascinating.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whats even stranger is that me and my buddy were just looking at it at the same time...and i saw them going counter-clockwise and she saw it going clockwise! strange
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
CalBears99
Pro Bowler

CalBears99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

she's going Clockwise

sig by Nyi28nhl from Islander Mania
CalBears99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
CalBears99
Pro Bowler

CalBears99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can't see her going counterclockwise at all

sig by Nyi28nhl from Islander Mania
CalBears99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBears99 View Post
I can't see her going counterclockwise at all
I can only see her going counterclockwise.... i cant see clockwise at all:S

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

OK i take that back now that i look at it again i can only see it going clockwise.... im so confused!!!!

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
osi+ap=allshallperish
Rookie

osi+ap=allshallperish hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Ok, I'll eat my words and change my view on this.

My apologies to thule, 7-11 and others for being stubborn.

In reality, she is not spinning at all. This is just a series of 2D images that our brains automatically try to perceive as a fluid 3D movement.

When you look at the individual images, you can flip her around on any of them and it looks correct for the most part. That's very common with silhouettes. Although sometimes it looks like she'd fall on her ass due to an extreme imbalance of perceived weight distribution.

Therefore, the switch in peoples minds can happen at any time in the sequence. It really is just an illusion either way, because she is not real and 'she' isn't spinning at all.

It really does piss me off that I can only see it going clockwise though. Which is probably why I insisted that it was only an illusion if it were perceived to be going counter. I am left-handed, so that may explain why I can't get it to flip, considering that even most right-handers see it as clockwise at first, too.

Damn you, d-unit. I wasted too much time staring at and thinking about this. The human brain is indeed quite fascinating.
Try unfocusing your vision while watching her legs and just watch her legs if you think you see her legs moving in a motion they don't typically see, refocus and you'll see her going the other direction. I'm ambidextrous if it matters, but this works perfectly for me.
osi+ap=allshallperish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
osi+ap=allshallperish
Rookie

osi+ap=allshallperish hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
I have a degree in maths, and absolutely would say I have more characteristics in the Right listing as opposed to the Left, yet I see clockwise, weird!
I'm studying biology and have been working in a cancer research lab since high school and she's almost always starts of as clockwise for me aswell, granted I can make her change directions but the initial direction is more often clockwise than not.
osi+ap=allshallperish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
Who cares, what way she is turning! Why isn't she locked up and in my Basement?
Did you vote?

And this is weird! At first, and most of the time, I saw her going clockwise. But every 1ce in a while, I see her going counterclockwise.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

goddammit, i tried multiple times yesterday to see it counterclockwise to no avail, then all of a sudden when I clicked on it a little while ago I could only see it counterclockwise. Damn u brain.

Check that, now it keeps on switching on me.

Last edited by DHVF : 11-19-2007 at 12:15 AM.
DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

i looked at this for about 5-10 mins and showed my roommates. There was no way i could see her counterclockwise. Looked again a bit later, and now she is counterclockwise, and i cant switch it back.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clocks don't turn this way: --->
so counterclockwise. But why just a silhouette? :(
Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Clocks don't turn this way: --->
so counterclockwise. But why just a silhouette? :(
Because it wouldn't be an optical illusion otherwise.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love this thing. i looked at it once for the past 3 days.
first day-counterclockwise
second day-clockwise
third day-counterclockwise
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Take a look at this

Thats a really good way of looking at it. It's really strange, when I look at the gif I naturally see it turning clockwise but the still images I see her the opposite way, with her right foot on the ground meaning she would be turning counter. And I'm right handed which throws me off as well, because I should probably be left brained, though I am lefty for some other things (for instance, in baseball I throw righty and hit lefty). And the other thing that makes this strange is that math is definitely my better subject and the left-brained characteristics that D-Unit posted describe me much better than the right ones.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS (Counter Clockwise)
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS (Clockwise)
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking
Hmm, I got clockwise but I'm pretty much a left-brained guy. Interesting.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I initially seen it clockwise then I scrolled back up and it was goin counter clockwise.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

clockwise, obviously.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sweet, i can switch the directions on demand now. here is what i did.

-scroll the screen down so you can only see the shadows of the leg moving around the other leg.
-if you want a CC spin, imagine the leg moving behind the pivot foot.
-if you want a clockwise spin, imagine the leg moving in front of the pivot foot.
-scroll back up while you're imaging the desired spin.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote