Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Pistons make a trade.. any trade.. just a trade, or two, or three. Get rid of everyone except Jerebko and Will Bynum. Please, for my sanity.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Wait, when was Jordan ever considering going to New York?
there was always speculation and innuendo that he would go to New York just like there is now with LeBron. The difference being that the Knicks then had Ewing, Houston, Starks, Grandmama...they were an actual NBA team so to speak

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
there was always speculation and innuendo that he would go to New York just like there is now with LeBron. The difference being that the Knicks then had Ewing, Houston, Starks, Grandmama...they were an actual NBA team so to speak
Yea, when they had those players, there was never any realistic chance of Jordan going to New York. New York hated Jordan and Jordan didn't like New York.

I could maybe understand prior to the 90s, but people making up rumors hoping Jordan would come doesn't = Jordan ever considering going to New York. There was probably 0% realistic chance Jordan would go to the Knicks.

I've never heard or read that Jordan ever expressed any interest in New York. Lebron has openly said things that would link him to New York. I mean, I can say Lebron wants to come to Chicago and it will have the same validity as Jordan wanting to go to New York.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
Except that Houston and Larry Johnson weren't on the Knicks til 96. So do you mean after the 2nd threepeat or after the first retirement he would go to the Knicks?

If you mean after the 2nd Threepeat Starks would be gone in 98-99 to the Warriors. I am just wanting to know about your timeframe.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember after his first contract was getting close which would be early 90's it was a big story. After the first retirement, he came up for free agency once. It was just the media wanting the biggest player in the biggest market, hence the comparison. It's not a perfect comparison because I believe that LeBron is considering it...but I don't believe he's going to do it.

sig by BoneKrusher

Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fair enough. I just meant that Jordan never really ever expressed interest in playing for New York. If it was just the media, then you can say the same for any player being interested in any team. Jordan wasn't interested in New York, realistically.

Also, his first contract was probably up in the mid to late 80s, unless the Bulls game him a 8-10 year contract as a rookie. And again, I highly doubt Jordan had little interest to play for any other team than the Bulls from 90-98, let alone the biggest rival of his career.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

Yah, post 3 peat he wasn't going anywhere...but early in his career when he couldn't get past Detroit in the late 80's I would guess that he at least considered leaving.

sig by BoneKrusher

Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aside from Amare and TMac, what are some other trade deadline rumors?

I guess the Pistons have tried moving Tayshaun Prince for Chris Kaman. Denver asked about Ben Wallace. The Nuggets have also supposedly asked the Spurs about Antonio McDyess.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Derrick Rose has 29 points on 14-18 shooting before the end of the 3rd quarter. It is excellent.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NETS WIN NETS WIN NETS WIN!!!
wooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
Derrick Rose has 29 points on 14-18 shooting before the end of the 3rd quarter. It is excellent.
That's because a high school team probably would have played better defense then the knicks did tonight. BTW, via SI:

Knicks finalizing deal to land T-Mac from Rockets
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ady/index.html

Upsetting that this trade is gonna cost us Jordan Hill, but the ability to clear almost enough space for 2 max free agents (one would be max, the second would be about $1.5 million less) is too good to pass up. I think the Rockets are getting the better end of the deal, the one prospect that has shown some ability even though he will now be buried in the depth chart with Houston. I was hoping with all this that Donnie would be able to pry the Rockets 2010 first round pick cause then magic like this could happen:

And it only took me 14 tries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYtitan View Post
That's because a high school team probably would have played better defense then the knicks did tonight. BTW, via SI:

Knicks finalizing deal to land T-Mac from Rockets
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ady/index.html

Upsetting that this trade is gonna cost us Jordan Hill, but the ability to clear almost enough space for 2 max free agents (one would be max, the second would be about $1.5 million less) is too good to pass up. I think the Rockets are getting the better end of the deal, the one prospect that has shown some ability even though he will now be buried in the depth chart with Houston. I was hoping with all this that Donnie would be able to pry the Rockets 2010 first round pick cause then magic like this could happen:

And it only took me 14 tries!

The article says they're still talking about protection of the picks, so I would bet that if the Rockets got the first pick they would get to keep it.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
That's because a high school team probably would have played better defense then the knicks did tonight.
This is very true, but it will not take away any man love I have for Derrick Rose.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They are talking about a swap of 2011 picks and protection of a 2012 pick.

John Wall is in the 2010 draft he is talking about wishing that we can somehow get Houston's pick this year so the Knicks future pg would be John Wall let Titan dream.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I don't get it. How many PF's do the Rockets need? Luis Scola, Carl Landry, maybe now Jordan Hill..

And I think the Rockets should trade Larry Hughes if they get him. That's $13 Million expiring. How about Rip for Larry Hughes?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

I love how these teams (Knicks) wanna clear room for two max contracts. Have fun when nobody signs!

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
I love how these teams (Knicks) wanna clear room for two max contracts. Have fun when nobody signs!
And if the Knicks succeed in their plain of signing two star players then what will you say
Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
Because of course no one would want to play in NYC, alongside with a marquee name and contend for a playoff spot. Bill Simmons (who has some notorious Knicks hate) said the worse case scenario the Knicks could have would be signing Amar'e and Rudy Cool and guaranteeing at least the 6th seed for years to come. I'm not settling on that, players will come if you pay them to, you make it seem like this is Milwaukee, Minnesota, Indiana or Washington's market.

BTW, thank you LT, I am trying to dream and swallow the difficult pill that would be trading all these picks to rid oneself of cap space.

Another rumor that is picking up steam again is the Nate to Boston deal, not sure how it works out logistically, but there is a rumor

Quote:
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
Because of course no one would want to play in NYC, alongside with a marquee name and contend for a playoff spot. Bill Simmons (who has some notorious Knicks hate) said the worse case scenario the Knicks could have would be signing Amar'e and Rudy Cool and guaranteeing at least the 6th seed for years to come. I'm not settling on that, players will come if you pay them to, you make it seem like this is Milwaukee, Minnesota, Indiana or Washington's market.

BTW, thank you LT, I am trying to dream and swallow the difficult pill that would be trading all these picks to rid oneself of cap space.

Another rumor that is picking up steam again is the Nate to Boston deal, not sure how it works out logistically, but there is a rumor
New York still believes markets matter as much as they used to. The fact of the matter is with the NBA packages, internet, and several channels dedicated to sports markets matter much less to players than they used to, especially with stars who are looking for a max contract.

A large market does make you more marketable, but because Miami, Chicago, LA (the Clippers), and now possibly Washington may have the money to sign a Max contract. All of these cities are large enough for a player to be marketable as a person to sponsor products.

Now the difference is that New York even with the ability to sign 2 Max Contracts can no way definitely sell the fact to a player that they will sign another player. This will cause the first player to be wary of being on a team with little to no help in carrying a team to an 8th seed. Teams like Miami, Chicago, and the Clippers do have a better cast to be immediate threats and therefore more attractive. It is much harder to market yourself on a losing team in New York than it is on a winning team in Chicago, Miami, or LA.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

The Knicks are just clearing this cap space so they can trade for Charlie Villanueva and Rip Hamilton without having to match contracts.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Ya its a steep price to pay for a gamble. Trading a lottery pick in his 1st yr, possibly trading down in the 2011 draft and giving up another 1st rd pick the next year even though it maybe protected to what degree we don't know yet.

You can always trade Nate to Boston for expiring contracts and either for their late 1st this yr or to make up for the 2012 lost pick so that isn't bad. I think this makes the Al Harrington for Tyrus Thomas trade much more likely to happen.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I don't get it. How many PF's do the Rockets need? Luis Scola, Carl Landry, maybe now Jordan Hill..

And I think the Rockets should trade Larry Hughes if they get him. That's $13 Million expiring. How about Rip for Larry Hughes?
We have no centers (Anderson and Hayes? Bleh), so two of the 3 could very well be on the court at the same time very often.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
New York still believes markets matter as much as they used to. The fact of the matter is with the NBA packages, internet, and several channels dedicated to sports markets matter much less to players than they used to, especially with stars who are looking for a max contract.

A large market does make you more marketable, but because Miami, Chicago, LA (the Clippers), and now possibly Washington may have the money to sign a Max contract. All of these cities are large enough for a player to be marketable as a person to sponsor products.

Now the difference is that New York even with the ability to sign 2 Max Contracts can no way definitely sell the fact to a player that they will sign another player. This will cause the first player to be wary of being on a team with little to no help in carrying a team to an 8th seed. Teams like Miami, Chicago, and the Clippers do have a better cast to be immediate threats and therefore more attractive. It is much harder to market yourself on a losing team in New York than it is on a winning team in Chicago, Miami, or LA.
How is Miami exactly a better team? It is Wade and that is it for the Heat. Everyone considers it a foregone conclusion that Miami will resign him, but Wade hasn't come out and said yes I will be back. Chicago, they are on the up and ups as well and are in better position to succeed then the Knicks, I have to admit that and the Clippers, are just cursed and really only need a SF, cause all the other positions are locked (Kaman at center, Griffin at PF, Gordon at SG and Davis at PG, really limits your market). It will be difficult to convince two people to coexist and basically say, one person is better then the other, but in the end, they will win cause they will form one of the more dominant teams. Honestly, how many teams can say they have 2 legit stars, perhaps they can't carry a team by themself, but partners? Like Bosh and Joe Johnson or Rudy *** and Bosh, or Amar'e and Joe Johnson, lots of mixes and it doesn't even include the 2 biggest fish, and I believe that if you told LeBron that he would have another teammate that can help relieve the scoring load, he would be all for it, cause he never ever had that in Cleveland. He was always the man, and he always will be, but who said that he can't go half speed for a bit and not have to worry about his team completely dissolving when there are is another player that can take over when needs to?

Quote:
Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
The Knicks are just clearing this cap space so they can trade for Charlie Villanueva and Rip Hamilton without having to match contracts.
NOBODY! want's Charlie V or Rip...sorry man

sig by BoneKrusher

Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
How is Miami exactly a better team? It is Wade and that is it for the Heat. Everyone considers it a foregone conclusion that Miami will resign him, but Wade hasn't come out and said yes I will be back. Chicago, they are on the up and ups as well and are in better position to succeed then the Knicks, I have to admit that and the Clippers, are just cursed and really only need a SF, cause all the other positions are locked (Kaman at center, Griffin at PF, Gordon at SG and Davis at PG, really limits your market). It will be difficult to convince two people to coexist and basically say, one person is better then the other, but in the end, they will win cause they will form one of the more dominant teams. Honestly, how many teams can say they have 2 legit stars, perhaps they can't carry a team by themself, but partners? Like Bosh and Joe Johnson or Rudy *** and Bosh, or Amar'e and Joe Johnson, lots of mixes and it doesn't even include the 2 biggest fish, and I believe that if you told LeBron that he would have another teammate that can help relieve the scoring load, he would be all for it, cause he never ever had that in Cleveland. He was always the man, and he always will be, but who said that he can't go half speed for a bit and not have to worry about his team completely dissolving when there are is another player that can take over when needs to?
Miami is a better team. You say there is no guarantee that Wade re-sign but there is no guarantee that the Knicks best player David Lee re-signs. The Heat at least has young players in Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers that can contribute to a team. Miami also is in a better position to sign two max contracts than the Knicks do.

I am not saying it is impossible for the Knicks to get two top free agents, it will just be more difficult than you and other Knick fans are making it out to be. Also, how does having a good team around you limit your market? (Talking about the Clippers.