Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Championship in 2013?
Miami Heat 15 26.79%
Miami Heat 3 5.36%
Miami Heat 31 55.36%
Miami Heat 6 10.71%
Miami Heat 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. That'd be a great trade for the Clips.

yahoo! is reporting that the Hornets are shopping Marcus Thornton for a 1st round pick. As a fan that's a slap in the face. Thornton is the purest shooter and scorer and their only legitimate threat coming off the bench.

I could see the Bulls as a great fit for Thornton. He's what they need at SG and can light it up from anywhere on the court.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Hockey is not better than basketball djp, it's time you and other Minnesotans realize this.

The way things currently are though other than price I have more fun going to Wild games than Wolves games. The atmosphere is just better and we don't suck.
The NBA is miserable to watch before the playoffs. The game is simply softer than a baby's bottom now. The playoffs, that's a different story. People actually play defense and care.

NHL is better because everything is meaningful. I can watch an entire hockey game and not be bored because what happens in the first period actually matters in the third period. I can turn on an NBA game and watch the final 6 minutes of the 4th quarter and feel like I didn't miss anything before that.

Second, I can't stand the rules of the NBA as they stand now. If you get in the lane, you draw a foul, unless its the 4th quarter in a tight game. Why can't the rest of the game be like this? They cater the game so much towards scoring and the players that it makes defense basically seem meaningless until the last part of the game. Why watch the first 3 quarters? So I can see LeBron dunk on someone (Seen it a million times)? So I can see Ron Artest argue with an official (seen it a million times)? I don't claim to know a lot about basketball, I mean, I know more than the average fan, but it seems to me like the Celtics are good "because they play good defense" according to everyone else. It just seems to me like their whole team puts out more effort than the average, lazy NBA team.

Not to mention the difficulty of playing a game on skates, paired with the physical play and fighting.. it's just a better game all around. Basketball is a great sport to play, but not to watch. Particularly the NBA. College is much more entertaining to me. This is coming from someone who watched the NBA much more than the NHL growing up.

Now, I will concede a few things. First, NBA players are much better athletes than NHL players. Second, a well played, close basketball game is about as good as it gets for entertainment. However, most games never reach that plateau. Third, there are many more Americans playing in the NBA than in the NHL, which kinda sucks. That's basically it, though.

/book
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Amen DJP. I'm in my first ever fantasy basketball league and it has me paying closer attention to the NBA than ever before, but I still don't really watch the games before the playoffs. (Not having had cable the last few months contributed as well.)

In addition to the in game things you brought up, I really hate the NBA's system when it comes to the soft salary cap and fully guaranteed contracts. The players basically lose all accountability since they get paid no matter what...and they basically need to outright murder someone to get their contract voided it would seem. (See Arenas, Gilbert.)

It's also becoming a league where there will be, at most 6-8 good teams every year with a legitimate title shot. The rest of the teams will basically farm young talent until they hit free agency then they'll bounce to try and get to one of those elite teams, if they aren't traded there first.

Without a major change to the entire culture of the league, I'm probably never going to be particularly interested in actually watching the games.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Amen DJP. I'm in my first ever fantasy basketball league and it has me paying closer attention to the NBA than ever before, but I still don't really watch the games before the playoffs. (Not having had cable the last few months contributed as well.)

In addition to the in game things you brought up, I really hate the NBA's system when it comes to the soft salary cap and fully guaranteed contracts. The players basically lose all accountability since they get paid no matter what...and they basically need to outright murder someone to get their contract voided it would seem. (See Arenas, Gilbert.)

It's also becoming a league where there will be, at most 6-8 good teams every year with a legitimate title shot. The rest of the teams will basically farm young talent until they hit free agency then they'll bounce to try and get to one of those elite teams, if they aren't traded there first.

Without a major change to the entire culture of the league, I'm probably never going to be particularly interested in actually watching the games.
Yeah, I was saving the compacted talent and wrong-turn direction the NBA was heading by compressing all the proven talent onto a number of teams, but you hit it on the head. Another major problem with the sport.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NBA followed MLB's lead with too much expansion, too many games creating a diluted product, and guaranteed contracts. Both leagues have overextended themselves beyond their means.

I'm not really against the "super team" concept, because the players are basically forcing contraction themselves. I can also almost guarantee there's a hard cap in place after the new CBA negotiations.

The NBA labor situation is far more intriguing to me than the NFL's. The NBAPA is going to get absolutely crushed.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 02-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
The NBA labor situation is far more intriguing to me than the NFL's. The NBAPA is going to get absolutely crushed.
Yeah, the NFL seems to be more about dividing up that final 1% of the pie and maybe a few relatively minor structural changes...(rookie wage scale, franchise tag usage, etc.)

Meanwhile, the NBA might have to put together a whole new pie and drastically change it's structure. (Which would be a good thing imo.)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Yeah, the NFL seems to be more about dividing up that final 1% of the pie and maybe a few relatively minor structural changes...(rookie wage scale, franchise tag usage, etc.)

Meanwhile, the NBA might have to put together a whole new pie and drastically change it's structure. (Which would be a good thing imo.)
Exactly. And compounding this problem is the fact that the NBA is finally on the upswing after MJ's retirement. A lockout would absolutely destroy any momentum they've gained, yet, their system is tragically flawed and not sustainable whatsoever.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Yeah, I was saving the compacted talent and wrong-turn direction the NBA was heading by compressing all the proven talent onto a number of teams, but you hit it on the head. Another major problem with the sport.
I definitely agree. The small rosters mean there are usually 2-3 players in each draft that will become difference makers down the line, a handful of useful bench players, and then a ton of guys who you'll say, "Oh, so that's where he is now" when you accidentally read a headline from Euroleague. Teams without a high talent level simply can't compete in the NBA against teams with 3 superstars. Heart will simply get you nowhere, as a team, without talent. Individual players, yes, but not teams. It's not like hockey where a team with less talent can grind and play smart and end up competing in some very exciting games. Not to mention the goalie factor.

That, and the fact that most superstars in their prime would probably not think of going out of their way to pair up with another, or 2. Players might leave, yeah, but could you have envisioned Ovechkin not signing an extension and going to play with Crosby? No way. Older players looking for that ring might, but not the young guys. They want to make their own legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:38 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When did the NBA discussion thread become the anti-basketball thread? Love it or leave it. The second half/playoffs are going to more exciting than any year since Jordan.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
When did the NBA discussion thread become the anti-basketball thread? Love it or leave it. The second half/playoffs are going to more exciting than any year since Jordan.
I was simply responding to your reply to me...?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You responded to a quip with an essay.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was simply responding to your reply to me...?

I did not quote you sir. I just get tired of all the bitching about the teaming up of superstars, when come the playoffs it's going to be a blast to watch.

But yeah, basketball fans don't go in the NHL thread and talk about how it's miserable to watch before the playoffs. Nothing good can come from that.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
I did not quote you sir. I just get tired of all the bitching about the teaming up of superstars, when come the playoffs it's going to be a blast to watch.
The playoffs are gonna be great. I like playoff basketball. The intensity picks up tenfold from the regular season.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carmelo Anthony chooses #7, a # already currently on the roster with that African dude who's name i can't remember or spell.

So I'm assuming we're not quite done yet with trades. We might have one more up our sleeve.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone want Childress, Pietrus, Warrick of VC's expiring

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

But yeah, basketball fans don't go in the NHL thread and talk about how it's miserable to watch before the playoffs. Nothing good can come from that.
I think I should start doing that. I actually like and watch hockey in the regular season, but since it's still not all that great until the postseason, IT'S TIME FOR A TAKEOVER.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the Knicks are gonna trade someone just because Melo wants his number.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I think I should start doing that. I actually like and watch hockey in the regular season, but since it's still not all that great until the postseason, IT'S TIME FOR A TAKEOVER.
Except you guys will get destroyed, but go ahead. We have Sniper, and that man has never let anything go in his life. Actually, I'd love to see an actual retort to my original reply to yo, but no one seems to be doing that.

I understand the point, though. I should have just made a new topic. I gave yfs **** last year for doing the same thing to the MLB thread, it was hypocritical of me to do the same.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

djp-

I like international players, I just don't like Eastern Europeans because I can't remember or pronounce their names.

The NHL needs to market their stars better. I can think of more players from the 90's than today, that's a problem.

They also are never on Sportscenter.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

The NHL almost spends too much time marketing Ovechkin and Crosby, to the point where I just don't give a **** about anyone else other than the Wild. They need to spread the love a little more, they put all their eggs in two baskets.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Except you guys will get destroyed, but go ahead. We have Sniper, and that man has never let anything go in his life. Actually, I'd love to see an actual retort to my original reply to yo, but no one seems to be doing that.

I understand the point, though. I should have just made a new topic. I gave yfs **** last year for doing the same thing to the MLB thread, it was hypocritical of me to do the same.
I was there for the YFS thing, and I had my displeasement with it. But since there are people constantly bashing the WWE/TNA in the wrestling thread, I have gotten used to this ****. As for the NHL thing, I WILL ******* DESTROY SNIPER.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
djp-

I like international players, I just don't like Eastern Europeans because I can't remember or pronounce their names.

The NHL needs to market their stars better. I can think of more players from the 90's than today, that's a problem.

They also are never on Sportscenter.
The SportsCenter thing is because ESPN dropped the NHL (stupid idea) and picked up Nascar. Funny that there's no hockey highlights on SportsCenter but there's separate shows for car racing now.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i hope the clip trade for gallo, i do'nt want him on the nets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i hope the clip trade for gallo, i do'nt want him on the nets.

I heard the Nuggets wanted to keep him, I'm too lazy to find the link. He would be much better than Travis Outlaw though.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
I heard the Nuggets wanted to keep him, I'm too lazy to find the link. He would be much better than Travis Outlaw though.
Anything is better than Travis Outlaw.

RIP TheManInBlack