Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
See I have absolutely no problem with this. I'm with you, let's wait until his career is over before we start throwing labels on him.

My issue is when I hear people come in here and say he's already the 2nd greatest of all time, or are projecting him to be that.

Forget Jordan, that's a slap in the face to guys like Magic, Robertson, West, Chamberlain, even Abdul Jabbar and Kobe. It's just way too early to put a label on LeBron.

There were a lot of great players in this game. LeBron has a long way to go, and to be fair to him, he has plenty of time to establish himself in that tier. It's just not fair to put him there yet.

That I can agree with, I'm ok with saying he's one of the most talented players ever to play the game, but if he retired today he certainly wouldn't be #2. I'm more interested in seeing if he can stay durable through his 30's, and how his game evolves when his athleticism isn't just freakishly off the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't speak directly for those 2 guys bc I never saw them play, but I have had conversations with people who have, and they'll tell you that West and Robertson were studs who get lost in the GOAT discussion bc they're old and people just don't remember them.

They also have the statistics and accomplishments to back them up. I understand it was a different league then, and again, I can't make too strong of an argument for them bc I didn't get to see them play, but I think their biggest crime is being in a forgotten era.
Those guys would argue that West was just cut down by the dominant Celtics teams. West also had great teams but just couldn't dominate. Jerry West probably has had a bigger impact off the court than he did on the court.

No one liked the Big O. He was like Jordan, as he was the biggest asshole of all time, but he didn't win. It might be why I have a negative view of him. He used to be my favorite old player because he averaged a triple a double, but that made me read a couple biographies on him. He was so unlikable and no one had too much to say positive about him because of it. Basically it was he was a great player, but....

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That I can agree with, I'm ok with saying he's one of the most talented players ever to play the game, but if he retired today he certainly wouldn't be #2. I'm more interested in seeing if he can stay durable through his 30's, and how his game evolves when his athleticism isn't just freakishly off the charts.
I've always wanted to see Lebron develop into more of a post player than a jump shooter and I'm kind of hoping that's what he does as he gets older. His combination of size and athleticism, even as he ages, would be hard to defend for most big men.

Also unless he makes some serious strides, I can't envision him turning into more of a jump shooting primary player.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is, LeBron is such a freak athlete I don't know if we'll ever see a dramatic dip in athleticism that would cause him to change his game that much from what it already is.

Even when he's 35 he's still gonna be a bull. He just needs to tweak his game. Someone here said it awhile ago, and I think this analogy is spot on, he's the Shaq of wing men. Just such a physical imposing figure that he can pretty much dictate his game onto you for his whole career even when the athleticism fades.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The thing is, LeBron is such a freak athlete I don't know if we'll ever see a dramatic dip in athleticism that would cause him to change his game that much from what it already is.

Even when he's 35 he's still gonna be a bull. He just needs to tweak his game. Someone here said it awhile ago, and I think this analogy is spot on, he's the Shaq of wing men. Just such a physical imposing figure that he can pretty much dictate his game onto you for his whole career even when the athleticism fades.
He will turn into Karl Malone when he is older. That is a damn good player. The biggest drop off will probably be defensively. Instead of being able to guard 1-5 he might only be able to guard 3-5.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Ehhh I get the "Shaq of wing men" comparison from a physical standpoint, but in terms of their skills and how they play it's not a good comparison at all.

Shaq never had to redefine his game entire as he got older. He was always a post player and just had to develop more of a finesse game (baby hooks and post moves) as he got older vs. straight up overpowering everyone and dunking. Wing players are completely different, even Lebron. Will he always be able to drive and score? Of course. But even Lebron is going to slow down at some point and won't be able to physically get abused in the lane on by big men on every drive his entire career.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was a crime that LeBron wasn't DPOY this year. He's without question in my eyes the best defender in the game. He can literally shut out just about anyone if he puts his energy into it.

And the crazy part is his stamina is so off the charts, he can dedicate himself to blanking any player and still have the ability to never tire on offense for an entire game.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if the Nets hired Brian Shaw that'd be the best thing in ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I like Van Gundy for the Nets too. I think both would be great hires.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Van Gundy would be a great hire just so we don't have to listen to him talk anymore during broadcasts.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Remember when Van Gundy used to coach the Knicks and we stomped your face out?

Don't talk about my man like that.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

shaw, hollins or van gundy. i'd take any of the 3 with great pleasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sooooooo... Apparently Chris Webber wants the GM position with the Kings.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Van Gundy would be a great hire just so we don't have to listen to him talk anymore during broadcasts.
Love JVG as a commentator.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Remember when Van Gundy used to coach the Knicks and we stomped your face out?

Don't talk about my man like that.
You mean this type of Bulls team after everyone left because JVG couldn't beat them?

31 Brent Barry
25 Corey Benjamin
44 Mario Bennett
22 Keith Booth
1 Randy Brown
2 Mark Bryant
21 Cory Carr
18 Kornel David
9 Ron Harper
11 Charles Jones
7 Toni Kukoc
28 Andrew Lang
5 Rusty LaRue
8 Dickey Simpkins
34 Bill Wennington

Yup, pretty impressive...

And I don't mind JVG in the booth usually, just not when he does Bulls games. He acts like he wasn't the Bulls' ***** at the onset of his Knicks career, and that beating the Bulls in the dark years was something to brag about.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

We'll settle this in 2014!

And you won't have an excuse either, bc Rose will be back.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
We'll settle this in 2014!

And you won't have an excuse either, bc Rose will be back.
So, you have to work up yours? MELO NEEDS MORE. HE WAS HURT. I SWEAR.

#BullsOverKnicks2014

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life View Post
Love JVG as a commentator.
Same here - him and his brother are both entertaining.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Sooooooo... Apparently Chris Webber wants the GM position with the Kings.
That would be great. I think he would do a tremendous job.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That would be great. I think he would do a tremendous job.
Especially if he drafts Trey Burke.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, that's crazy. That would be amazing PR, but i'm not sure you can give the reigns to a team to a guy with zero management experience. I'd love to have him on board, but i'm not gonna lie, i'd be a little scared. It would depend in what direction he wanted to take the team from a foundation standpoint and whether it clashes with Malone's perspective.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get it personally......although I think Webber is a dud sooo I'm biased.

Just think the Kings need someone with experience as they are overhauling the whole organization.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

How exactly is Chris Webber qualified to be a GM?

It would be a stupid move.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:09 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steve Kerr wasn't qualified either and he got a job. Granted, he probably did a ****** job in Phoenix but it wouldn't be the first time it happened. I think C-Dub is a great basketball mind, but i'd want him to have just a teeny bit of experience before i let him take full control of a team.

On a slightly different note, hearing Mike Malone's interviews as he talks about how he wants to improve the defense first and foremost to create fast break opportunities is making me excited. He also mentioned how he wants to attack with Cousins early and often in the post. I hope this means no more of this high post action that takes him away from his strengths. Well, at least a lot less of that.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How exactly is Chris Webber qualified to be a GM?

It would be a stupid move.
Qualifications for being an NBA GM don't require a lot. Heck, some guys jump in from broadcasting to get that gig. So many former white NBA players get those jobs with less merit than CWebb. I don't see the hang up to be honest. When he has stuff to say it sticks out to me. I think he has a passion for it and knows what it takes to be successful.

This was an oldie but goodie... but it stuck out to me because the Magic needed a GM a couple years ago and I even thought about Webber back then.

D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote