Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
fixed that for you.
Spoiled Boston sports fan... Typical.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Doc is probably a top three coach in the league..
Right behind SPO and Pop.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The C's are hosed without Jordan as far as being able to re-form the team and start building around a new core.
TL;DR: I'd rather have another run with Pierce & KG than a bunch of second round draft picks any day of the week.
Jordan is far from a make or break piece in a rebuild. He's still young so he can improve, but at the moment he has some serious holes in his game and would be vastly overpaid at $13mm/yr due to his trade kicker. I wouldn't hate acquiring him, but he comes with some negatives.

I get the sentimental aspect of wanting to keep KG/PP, but letting Doc go clearly shows that we we are going into a rebuild. Might as well get some assets while we can.

Quote:
Doc is probably a top three coach in the league..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Doc is a significant upgrade from Del Negro.
This. Doc is a great coach. It's a good deal for both sides. The Clips go from one of the worst coaches in the league to one of the best. The Celtics get a 1st and save $21mm going into a rebuild.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 06-24-2013 at 08:05 PM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But what difference does a coach actually make?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard to not **** up when you've got KG, Paul Pierce, Rondo, and Ray Allen.

The only aspirations Boston had in 2007 were for Greg Oden. If they wouldn't have got screwed over by the Lottery, Doc Rivers would've been fired by 09.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Welp, everyone constantly complains about coaching so I'd say a decent amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post

The only aspirations Boston had in 2007 were for Greg Oden. If they wouldn't have got screwed over by the Lottery, Doc Rivers would've been fired by 09.
Ooo, ooo, I love the what if game!

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post

After the draft Ainge said he would have gone with Durant if he got the top pick.

Durant/Pierce/Rondo/Al Jefferson isn't half bad.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Would the Nugs have beaten the Warriors without George Karl?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
prime example would probably be 2012-2013 Bulls.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pretty big difference IMO.

Well at least we know they make a bigger difference than baseball managers.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
prime example would probably be 2012-2013 Bulls.
They were still a good team, and Thibs ran Rose/Deng/Noah into the ground.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Spoiled Boston sports fan... Typical.
I just remember Rivers before KG and Thibodeau. Not even talking about the year before KG (though Doc was definitely pretty awful that year too), and even after with how he played Scal and Baby while guys like Powe and Bill Walker sat.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just remember Rivers before KG and Thibodeau. Not even talking about the year before KG (though Doc was definitely pretty awful that year too), and even after with how he played Scal and Baby while guys like Powe and Bill Walker sat.
I'm sorry, but did you just use sitting Bill Walker as an example of a coach being bad at his job?
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I'm sorry, but did you just use sitting Bill Walker as an example of a coach being bad at his job?
Exactly what my response was going to be. Gotta be pretty delusional to think the next coach will be as good as Doc.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The greatest coach evar in the NBA just played a big part in his team losing the NBA Championship, so it's hard to gauge just how "good" good coaches are. I think having a coach that won't **** up is more important than having a coach that will be some elite strategic mind.

Pop just made me lose all faith in coaches. He wasn't supposed to do that. He was supposed to be the one guy that wouldn't blink on the biggest stage. Ugh.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
An example odd his refusal to deal with young players on aLarry Brown level of stubbornness. I'm on my phone and don't have the will to slog through the entirety of Doc Rivers's awfulness.

I admit, without context, the Bill Walker mention looks like a terrible point.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as a future state championship winning basketball coach, the lack of importance held in coaches makes me wince in pain
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who was the last bad coach to win a title?
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Who was the last bad coach to win a title?
Doc Rivers, if nepg is to be believed.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is not to be.

Going back to '95 there isn't anyone close to bad (I know nothing about how Tomjanovich was as a coach.)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
He is not to be.

Going back to '95 there isn't anyone close to bad (I know nothing about how Tomjanovich was as a coach.)
To be fair, the fact that they won titles might have a lot to do with how they're viewed as coaches.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

That's a fair point but that's still almost 20 years, possibly more.

I think we generally overstate small mishaps and mistake solid/good coaches as bad because certain decisions don't work. A lot of the things that Pop did in game 6 were things he has done throughout his career, they just happened to not work this time. Giving stars rest at the beginning of the 4th quarter is nothing new. Letting Ginobili play through mistakes is nothing new. He's had bad games before but because Pop let him play through them he ended up making big plays down the stretch. It didn't work this time and I would have sat him eventually but hey, Popovich is smarter than me or anyone that is questioning him and he's proven that for over a decade now.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's one thing to let your guy fight through mistakes during the regular season, or when he has shown that he can consistently perform at a high level. Like you mentioned, Ginobili was bad ALL season, and he was awful for the whole series. The way the Spurs collapsed while Pop just sat there watching them, is absolutely unforgivable. They had a championship slip through their hands.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess you missed game 5?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I guess you missed game 5?
Watched every minute of the series. Second half of game 5 is why i said "consistently". And Leonard came out and admitted after game 4 that they were completely caught off guard and unprepared for what the Heat did lineup-wise. Not necessarily a gold star for Pop, either.