Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2014, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I agree, but at the same time, I feel like they're being over-valued in terms of judging a player as a whole. Its computerizing the game of basketball to the point where people are using these stats as the end all be all of basketball. I do acknowledge that they are an awesome way to measure certain things that had been virtually immeasurable, but it's skewing the way people look at players and the game as a whole based off of just these numbers.
How exactly do you think the Spurs, Raptors, Rockets, etc. have all gotten to this point? They use advanced stats extensively to get to the point that they are at. I'm not saying they are the be all end all, but outside of having LeBron, they're the best you can do.

Hell, the 76ers were built on a billion guys who can rebound extremely well and over the top chucker in AI.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a little preview of a mock draft.. this is the first one so I am just playing around with it atm.

2014 NBA Mock Draft
1. Philadelphia 76ers – Jabari Parker/Freshman – Combo Forward – Duke
2. Milwaukee Bucks – Andrew Wiggins/Freshman – SG/SF – Kansas
3. Orlando Magic – Marcus Smart/Sophomore – PG/SG – Oklahoma State
4. Boston Celtics – Joel Embiid/Freshman – C – Kansas
5. Los Angeles Lakers – Dante Exum – PG/SG – Australia
6. Sacramento Kings – Julius Randle/Freshman – PF – Kentucky
7. Utah Jazz – Noah Vonleh/Freshman – F – Indiana
8. Cleveland Cavaliers – Rodney Hood/Sophomore – F – Duke
9. Philadelphia 76ers (New Orleans) – Gary Harris/Sophomore – SG – Michigan State
10. Atlanta Hawks – Aaron Gordon/Freshman – SF/PF – Arizona
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Randle would be an atrocious fit next to Cousins.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
Just a little preview of a mock draft.. this is the first one so I am just playing around with it atm.

2014 NBA Mock Draft
1. Philadelphia 76ers Jabari Parker/Freshman Combo Forward Duke
2. Milwaukee Bucks Andrew Wiggins/Freshman SG/SF Kansas
3. Orlando Magic Marcus Smart/Sophomore PG/SG Oklahoma State
4. Boston Celtics Joel Embiid/Freshman C Kansas
5. Los Angeles Lakers Dante Exum PG/SG Australia
6. Sacramento Kings Julius Randle/Freshman PF Kentucky
7. Utah Jazz Noah Vonleh/Freshman F Indiana
8. Cleveland Cavaliers Rodney Hood/Sophomore F Duke
9. Philadelphia 76ers (New Orleans) Gary Harris/Sophomore SG Michigan State
10. Atlanta Hawks Aaron Gordon/Freshman SF/PF Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Randle would be an atrocious fit next to Cousins.
What Brody said. That just hurts me even thinking about it.

And to think the Kings were 1 pick away from Exum.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That falls on the coaches.. what are you saying they both are scorers?

Therefore they don't fit?
Go Amare.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

They have slightly similar skillsets, except that Randle cannot pass well at all really. And they can't defend, Cousins needs a guy like Josh Smith next to him. I'm not just saying that, I think a Josh Smith that knows his role (ie don't take stupid ass shots) would be huge next to Cousins.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

To say it is an atrocious fit is understandable but how do you not take that challenge with his talent because after that top 6 I feel like it drops big time talent wise..
Go Amare.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They have slightly similar skillsets, except that Randle cannot pass well at all really. And they can't defend, Cousins needs a guy like Josh Smith next to him. I'm not just saying that, I think a Josh Smith that knows his role (ie don't take stupid ass shots) would be huge next to Cousins.
Is a Josh Smith doesn't take stupid ass shots, is it really a Josh Smith?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
To say it is an atrocious fit is understandable but how do you not take that challenge with his talent because after that top 6 I feel like it drops big time talent wise..
Yeah I get that, but it's just really awkward to work with. Part of my point as to why this draft isn't nearly as strong as people think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Is a Josh Smith doesn't take stupid ass shots, is it really a Josh Smith?
Well, probably not. Is your face really YOUR FACE?

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be fair, a Josh Smith that doesn't take stupid ass shots is an incredible player.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

It sucks because J Smoove is one of my favorites just because of his rare skill-set I got his ATL throwback I think last year sometime and then he left but oh well.

He is just one of the most laid back professional athletes.. it is blah to me but he gets away with it.
Go Amare.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cool Beazzzzz

Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know why people are so excited about the 2014 NBA Draft. There are some nice talents, but I don't see a guaranteed elite player.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Cool Beazzzzz

Beasley was awesome at KSU. Getting glimpses of his scoring ability this year on the Heat.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:16 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Don't know why people are so excited about the 2014 NBA Draft. There are some nice talents, but I don't see a guaranteed elite player.
That's because you're a ******.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

He's not wrong. Embiid's a good prospect, but he's not close to Anthony Davis. Parker is great, but not elite amazingness. Wiggins has been too inconsistent with his effort. And outside of those three, what else do we have? Fat forward man Randle, question mark Exum and Marcus Smart. After those six, there's a HUGE drop-off...it's really nothing special at this point.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-09-2014, 01:27 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't seen Vonleh but some mocks have him higher than Randle.

Most of the Kentucky team (Harrison twins particularly) have failed to live up to expectations along with a guy like Aaron Gordon.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's not wrong. Embiid's a good prospect, but he's not close to Anthony Davis. Parker is great, but not elite amazingness. Wiggins has been too inconsistent with his effort. And outside of those three, what else do we have? Fat forward man Randle, question mark Exum and Marcus Smart. After those six, there's a HUGE drop-off...it's really nothing special at this point.
The last time there was a guaranteed elite player his name was Lebron James, and he's a once in a lifetime type of guy. The whole "I don't see a HoF'er" in this class criticism is ******** and anyone that makes that point is ********.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwight Howard was up there. Durant and Oden (barring health concerns) were both going to be elite NBA players.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwight Howard was not at all considered a sure thing. A lot of people thought Okafor was a better pick at #1 because he was safer. Durant definitely had questions regarding his size and frame. Oden is probably your best bet in this argument, but the health concerns were real.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dwight and Okafor were pretty close heading into the draft, which is strange to think about now..
Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
The last time there was a guaranteed elite player his name was Lebron James, and he's a once in a lifetime type of guy. The whole "I don't see a HoF'er" in this class criticism is ******** and anyone that makes that point is ********.
You're ignoring Davis, then. Davis was an absolute lock for a good player, and he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-09-2014, 02:27 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think this is a good draft overall. Sure there doesn't look to be a league changing talent, but those obviously don't come around very often. Parker, Embiid, and Wiggins are all #1 caliber guys in a lot of drafts. Exum is also a dark horse and I wouldn't be surprised to see his stock explode as the draft gets closer. Randle, Smart, and Vonleh are all good (not great) prospects as well.

The hype surrounding this draft before the season was insane. It simply was never going to live up to it, but that doesn't mean it's still not a good draft.

As others pointed out, it's easy to have hindsight and say that past prospects were superior (especially ones that became NBA stars). But when you really look back the majority of these guys has their question marks as well. There are very few, if any, flawless prospects.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 03-09-2014 at 02:31 PM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
I still think this is a good draft overall. Sure there doesn't look to be a league changing talent, but those obviously don't come around very often. Parker, Embiid, and Wiggins are all #1 caliber guys in a lot of drafts. Exum is also a dark horse and I wouldn't be surprised to see his stock explode as the draft gets closer. Randle, Smart, and Vonleh are all good (not great) prospects as well.

The hype surrounding this draft before the season was insane. It simply was never going to live up to it, but that doesn't mean it's still not a good draft.
Not to mention all of the other freshmen and upperclassmen. The thing with this draft is you can get a good NBA player from 1-60. It's so deep.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How exactly do you think the Spurs, Raptors, Rockets, etc. have all gotten to this point? They use advanced stats extensively to get to the point that they are at. I'm not saying they are the be all end all, but outside of having LeBron, they're the best you can do.

Hell, the 76ers were built on a billion guys who can rebound extremely well and over the top chucker in AI.
uhm, what? The Spurs, outside of having at least one HOF big man for the past like 20 years, also have Pop and his system which is based off of selflessness and his players and teams have all bought into it. The Spurs are a horrible example.

The Rockets have the best center in the game, a top 5 SG, and sex Parsons. Advanced stats didn't get them that talent.

The Raptors are your only real example and they're not even really that good. They've got some really good talents with DeRozan developing and Kyle Lowry being the best guard in the east.

What I think is happening is that people are confusing selfless basketball and ball movement with stats and efficiency. This ****'s been around for ever and people are now putting stats alongside with these notions and ideologies and acting like these advanced metrics are creating these mentalities which is absurd.

I guess I just don't really understand it. It's a new craze that I think is just new ways to label what's been happening for decades. It's the mentality of "they've used advanced stats exclusively to get here etc etc" is what's absolutely absurd to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote