Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Wherever he will win the most titles is the answer.
^10charrrr
Old 07-03-2014, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently there was a high ranking Time Warner executive attending the Melo meeting with the Lakers.

Maybe they promised some sort of contract for him and his wife for a reality show or something.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know if it's been touched upon but fwiw the Clippers are looking at a sign and trade for Luol Deng per "sources". I then went on to read in the comments on twitter and someone said DeAndre should be involved. Some things can't be unseen and some people can't be saved.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Apparently there was a high ranking Time Warner executive attending the Melo meeting with the Lakers.

Maybe they promised some sort of contract for him and his wife for a reality show or something.
That's ******* brilliant. Sell to the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3yr/$30mill for Dirk. With a PO on the 3rd year and a no-trade clause. How the deal is structured not sure. If it's backloaded, that gives us some extra cap this offseason then I originally predicted.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post

Can see it now, "hey Melo come to L.A. and be the next Lamar Odom". Not what i would call a big selling point.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I saw the headline that Gasol would return to the Lakers if Melo came and I LOL'd.

I agree with you. Let a new page turn... but you'd really have to tank hard to keep that pick. Even a bottom 3 record could result in you picking 6th... and having to give the pick away. You would need a bottom 2 record to secure it. Can LAL handle that?
I'd be a-ok with it. Most franchises spend years in the lottery, watching lottery pick after lottery pick come and go. Our fanbase finally has one and he's being viewed as a legitimate savior at #7, it's a complex dynamic. Let's try and snag another one, I say, build from the ground up before splooging all over free agency. But I'm interested to see how it shakes out, i'm watching every move as always.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Julius Randle is being viewed as a savior?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Julius Randle is being viewed as a savior?
Fanbase was really excited to get him, and he's been saying all the right stuff to make everyone thrilled to have him.

"The six teams that passed me will regret it."

"I'd rather face LeBron than play with him."

"I don't have anything green."

"I grew up a Lakers fan." (with a picture of him as a kid with a Bryant #8 jersey)

A lot of people are extremely excited about him, and think he's going to be a focal point for the team for the next decade. Hopefully he is, but I agree, the excitement for the guy is through the roof.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I'd say the vibe around Randle is very welcoming and hopeful, I'm sure the usual anti-Laker folks can somehow paint that as a bad thing but I think that is objectively pretty silly.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Isaiah Thomas' supposed list of favorite destinations:

1. Lakers
2. Heat
3. Pistons

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Yeah I'd say the vibe around Randle is very welcoming and hopeful, I'm sure the usual anti-Laker folks can somehow paint that as a bad thing but I think that is objectively pretty silly.
I hate the Lakers but Randle will be a damn good player, and the Magic are going to be embarrassed when Gordon is an 8th man off the bench and Randle is averaging 20/10 in a few years.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It should not be like this but I feel like going to a team like that with Kobe still on the team and rich tradition just motivates him that much more.
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Wherever he will win the most titles is the answer.
Phoenix it is

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Absolutely Akez, golden era of bigs. There was just a frightening lack of perimeter talent after the obvious few top names.
How was it any less deep than the current era?

Jordan, Pippen, Stockton, Payton, Price, Strickland, Hardaway x2, Brandon, Richmond, Mullin, Kidd, Drexler, Mashburn, Hill, Rice, Miller, Wilkins, Hornacek, KJ, Lewis, Jones, Van Exel, Starks, Harper, Jackson, Blaylock, Iverson, Stackhouse, Sprewell, Houston, Harper, Porter, Thomas, Elliott, Dumars, Majerle and Schrempf were all legit players, a lot had shorter than desirable careers but they were all very good or great players. I'd say it was every bit as deep as today.

There were some rubbish teams back then but the perimeter depth was just as good as todays talent, I'd argue better. The C and PF position were historically great but lets not act like it was a weak perimeter generation.

For me it's the multi generational guys that show things up and really make the comparisons possible. Kobe was great in the 90s and was still great last year when his body was washed up. Duncan is possibly more effective now than he was in the 90s and 00s. The game changes and what not but the great players are still great in multiple eras. Wade for me is a guy who is a "90s" style player and he has done fine. Miller was very much a modern day player and he did fine. Malone and Stockton ran the pick and roll that dominates this league now better than anyone ever has and probably ever will. Nique's style worked in the 80s and 90s and LeBron uses a pretty similar package to probably even better effect these days (largely because he is a much better passer).

I think the NBA is coming out of one of the weaker eras in the 00s when there really was a lack of talent in comparison to now and before. If you think the East is bad now you don't remember the 00s obviously. The East has pretty much been rubbish since Ewing, Mourning, Jordan, Pippen, Hill and Penny basically all went down/left in the space of a couple of years. The 90s East was fairly strong, the 80s East was beastly though.

It's great though that the NBA is coming good on the talent levels. It's great to have teams with 2 and 3 stars, I'd rather an inbalanced top heavy league like the 90s where teams seemingly either have 2-3 stars or none than the 00s where each team had 1 star and the game was pretty awful to watch at times.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
How was it any less deep than the current era?

Jordan, Pippen, Stockton, Payton, Price, Strickland, Hardaway x2, Brandon, Richmond, Mullin, Kidd, Drexler, Mashburn, Hill, Rice, Miller, Wilkins, Hornacek, KJ, Lewis, Jones, Van Exel, Starks, Harper, Jackson, Blaylock, Iverson, Stackhouse, Sprewell, Houston, Harper, Porter, Thomas, Elliott, Dumars, Majerle and Schrempf were all legit players, a lot had shorter than desirable careers but they were all very good or great players. I'd say it was every bit as deep as today.
That list might be hurting your argument more than it's helping it tbh. A large chunk of those guys were mediocre chuckers.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As awful as "The Decision" was, it fixed the NBA in a lot of ways. James saw what the Celtics were doing (all three did, they couldn't do **** against that team), and decided that it was stupid to become old before becoming wise.

Hopefully the Spurs have taken the NBA further with building teams and being smart, not tanking (though, to be fair, the Spurs were built on the ultimate tank job).

In today's NBA, T-Mac stays with Vinsanity. Can you imagine?

Last edited by nepg : 07-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
As awful as "The Decision" was, it fixed the NBA in a lot of ways. James saw what the Celtics were doing (all three did, they couldn't do **** against that team), and decided that it was stupid to become old before becoming wise.

Hopefully the Spurs have taken the NBA further with building teams and being smart, not tanking (though, to be fair, the Spurs were built on the ultimate tank job).
That wasn't tanking. The Spurs were ungodly awful that year, and Admiral was hurt.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
That wasn't tanking. The Spurs were ungodly awful that year, and Admiral was hurt.
:shrug: It's pretty commonly accepted that the Spurs did tank down the stretch that year with Duncan being in that draft.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
:shrug: It's pretty commonly accepted that the Spurs did tank down the stretch that year with Duncan being in that draft.
Quiet, Alec.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean, Stern was going to draw balls for #1 until it didn't say Boston anyway. Spurs were just the first non-C's ball out of thousands.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quiet, Alec.
Nah you don't really want to silence me. You need someone to help you fight against the glorification of past chuckers.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
That list might be hurting your argument more than it's helping it tbh. A large chunk of those guys were mediocre chuckers.
Yeah but on those criteria who is really good now? I mean the best SG in the league right now is a "mediocre chucker" in Harden. I don't think there is a great case that the perimeter talent is better now than it was then. I mean Harden and Mitch Richmond weren't very different as players other than Richmond being better on defense (that feels like such an absurd sentence to write) and shooting at a better percentage (Harden is a better ball handler and passer by a decent margin).

The league really has a great PG in Paul who would be one of the best in the 90s as well and 2 legitimately all time great SFs and several other good players (no doubt the SF position is stronger right now) but the SG position is almost certainly the weakest it's ever been since Jordan made it relevant and even as great as the SG position is if you do a top 5 of 90s/Now then at least 2 come from the 90s (Mullin vs Melo and George for the 5th spot would be an interesting debate)

I'm not really arguing that the 90s perimeter guys were significantly better than now, just to be clear, just that they were on par, especially at the top end. I think part of the difference in style genuinely came about from the historically great center play but also because the PG play was at a very high level teams could do more. The centers though are just absurdly good, most era's don't have more than 1 or 2 and that era had 4 genuinely all time elite guys and a whole group of excellent players (Mutombo, Mourning, Smits, Duckworth, Cartwright, Seikaly, Willis, et al)

Quote:
In fairness they kind of shut the Admiral down to make sure they stunk, they just got lucky to win the lottery though more than anything malicious.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

A lot of the arguments against then vs now is range shooting. The players in the 90s didn't grow up with the 3pt line. Never mind a consistent distance for it.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:04 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8m
Yahoo Sources: Portland has reached agreement on a two-year deal with free agent center Chris Kaman.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote