Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Is Channing Frye the most influential NBA PLAYER EVER?
Yes 623421 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 623421. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's definitely odd at how few championship winning teams had elite PGs. Outside of Magic, none of my top 20 PGs of all time were the clear #1 guy on a title winning team.

Walt Frazier, Isiah Thomas, Chauncey Billups, and Tony Parker are the only arguable ones, but as good as they all are/were, they were just pieces of great overall teams rather than the clear main guy.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glad to see people realizing it. Your PG is to facilitate and D up. Its why guys to start and win championships are guys like Blake, Fisher, Chalmers....
Old 07-08-2014, 04:22 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
Lol he called himself elite, but if Carlise can make jose and monta look decent on defense then maybe felton can lose like 20 pounds and be useful.
Yea, I don't expect him to be any worse. I mean, how can he be?

But more the fact that he said he "still" can play as an elite PG. He thinks he ever was one is pretty funny.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if fans will be more willing to root for LeBron if he rejoins the Cavs than they were when he was with the Heat?

LeBron with a young cast of stars compared to the big three.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Shreckart
Veteran

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopSandwich View Post
I wonder if fans will be more willing to root for LeBron if he rejoins the Cavs than they were when he was with the Heat?

I'd be more inclined to cheer for the Cavs relative to the Heat because 99.9% of Heat fans are the absolute worst. The one's on this site I've met are good people, but the majority of Heat fans deserve nothing but the worst.
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopSandwich View Post

Probably. As long he goes to a fairly neutral team, he'll get much better reception. The Heat were polarizing because of the way he left, people that hate Wade (me), and the whole "South Beach" thing that goes with the Miami Sheep.

Of course, he could go to the Knicks, Clippers, or Lakers and come off pretty terribly.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont care either way. Dont hate him, dont love him.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be fair, kidd would've had one if shaq and Duncan weren't unstoppable in their primes. And if we had someone better than Aaron Williams trying to stop them

But then again Kidd is a fart face because I'm bitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D-Unit why are you letting these guys take shots at you...you don't have to defend moves like paying Frye 8M or drafting Gordon just because you're a Magic fan. Why not say 'alright ******* let's see how it pans out?' rather than hyping up the team or defending the moves?
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Bosh would actually be perfect for Houston. Scary perfect to be honest.

Him playing stretch 4 while Dwight beats em up in the post/pick n roll would be so hard to stop.

Honestly if they land Bosh I'd see if I could trade Harden for a PG who could feed it to Dwight and Bosh.
what in the actual ****
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

I didnt know the 76ers had Aaron Craft! Watching the summer league and he is in right now. Nerlens hasnt made a impact yet in the first.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deon Thompson in the D league!?

dear god..for Memphis yiiiipppeeeeeeeeeee
Go Amare.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

KJ McDaniels will be a solid 2nd round pick.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
I didnt know the 76ers had Aaron Craft! Watching the summer league and he is in right now. Nerlens hasnt made a impact yet in the first.
He should have been the first overall pick.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

I can agree with that, he was Clemson's best player by FAR...probably since Booker T Washington.
Go Amare.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
D-Unit why are you letting these guys take shots at you...you don't have to defend moves like paying Frye 8M or drafting Gordon just because you're a Magic fan. Why not say 'alright ******* let's see how it pans out?' rather than hyping up the team or defending the moves?
I honestly didn't like the Frye contract at all when I first heard it. But the more I find, the more at ease I've become. I've actually held back on posting a lot of other good reads on the topic. I know it seems like I'm just being a blind homer and that rubs people the wrong way, but I think the moves have made "enough" sense. Doesn't always have to make "perfect" sense.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Aaron Craft legit just tried to alley opp to Nerlens from 3/4 the court length with like 3 seconds left on the clock....
Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have thrown a ***** fit if he resigned for $8MM a year or $4MM for that matter

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Box Score Geeks has a pretty sweet write up and spreadsheet for free agents.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

Frye is a tall guy that can shoot, it is a unique thing to have. Too bad more and more bigs are learning to shoot so it isn't as unique as it once was.

If anything, the fact we are talking about him this much is amazing...he should be honored.
Go Amare.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
Frye is a tall guy that can shoot, it is a unique thing to have. Too bad more and more bigs are learning to shoot so it isn't as unique as it once was.

If anything, the fact we are talking about him this much is amazing...he should be honored.
We're talking about him because it's such an absurdly bad contract. Bradley was an overpay by about $6 million (total), Frye was an overpay by $39 million. $7 million more than the contract they gave him. That's epicly bad. Like...you could offer Detroit the world for Josh Smith in exchange for Channing Frye, and Detroit should still turn it down.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

A player on the Rockets team has 5 fouls and we have 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
We're talking about him because it's such an absurdly bad contract. Bradley was an overpay by about $6 million (total), Frye was an overpay by $39 million. $7 million more than the contract they gave him. That's epicly bad. Like...you could offer Detroit the world for Josh Smith in exchange for Channing Frye, and Detroit should still turn it down.
I do not agree with this statement.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
I would have thrown a ***** fit if he resigned for $8MM a year or $4MM for that matter
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ho...his-evolution/

This was an interesting read. I'm hoping Frye will be able to help our young guards in a similar way.

Quote:
This isn’t just Seven Seconds or Less basketball. The Suns have also quickly become one of the best pick-and-roll acts in the game. Recent player-tracking data analytics suggest that the Dragic–Channing Frye pairing is the most efficient pick-and-roll tandem in the league. According to the data, the Suns are averaging a ridiculous 1.3 points per possession on the 392 Dragic-Frye pick-and-rolls this season.

People around the league have noticed:
Phoenix Suns TV @SunsTV
Follow Pacers head coach Frank Vogel called the Dragic/Frye pick and roll "maybe the hardest to cover in the game."

Dragic is quick to point out that the return of Frye — the team’s most vital spacing agent — has been central to Phoenix’s dramatic offensive improvements. “Last year he had some heart problems and couldn’t play with us, so when I played pick-and-roll I didn’t have that space guy,” he says. “This year, when we play pick-and-roll, Channing stretches the floor so I have room to operate; I can get inside the paint and make other plays for him and everybody else. He just gives us that spacing, and especially for me and Eric he makes things much easier because nobody can rotate from him.”

Nobody can rotate away from Frye; there are very few bigs in the league who can shoot from distance as well as he can.

Frye says the keys to their pick-and-roll success are quick recognition and smart decisions to create defensive stresses.

“Goran is an extremely prolific scorer and for me it’s about establishing that I’m going to set a good screen every single time and try to get my guy to get off Goran’s body,” Frye said. “If Goran’s guy goes under, it’s Goran’s job to be able to shoot that shot and my job to give him the space to shoot it in. If my guy stays on Goran, it’s my job to create space for myself to get an open shot. You know, I’ve got to assess this within milliseconds, but we’ve been good at it. Goran’s been aggressive and smart, while I’ve been pretty good at hitting the shots that I’ve been given and trying to make the right decisions.”

Frye takes more 3s than 2s, and his ability to drain those 3s is worth far more than just the handful of points that directly result from those baskets. It’s a constant threat that demands defensive attention and changes the defensive tactics in a way that opens up the interior for his attacking teammates. Frye’s proficient above-the-break shot is arguably the most important in the whole offense, and it obviously wasn’t there last year.

But this season, the Suns run a terrifying pick-and-pop that results in Frye threatening near the top of the arc and, as he says, puts the defense in a horrible predicament:

“If you have penetrators like Goran there’s no way the defense can stop the ball and get back to the shooter in time, especially with me because I’m almost 7 feet tall and have a pretty quick release,” Frye said. “It’s just a matter of who is doing what on the defense, and our offense making the decision from there.”

Frye has a gravitational pull that forces bigs away from the rim, creating attacking corridors for Dragic, who excels at “turning the corner,” attacking the basket, and making plays. In turn, Dragic’s attacking abilities create wide-open looks for Frye or other perimeter shooters. This symbiosis is the heart of the Suns’ offensive ecosystem, and it is by no means an accident.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

does that thing think PJ Tucker is worth 5/80 though *njx*

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote