Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess I'm happy with my TO jersey :P

I think Stanback will be active for all of the next games (if healthy). He had some good returns in his first game, and showed amazing speed in the longest one. I think right now he could be faster than Newman or Glenn, I haven't seen a Cowboys with that much speed in a long time. If you don't remember the kickoff I'm talking about, just tell me and I'll grab it for you from the tape.

I agree that Akin is invisible this year. Last year he was our best LB not named Ware (when Ellis went down). He was making pressure, interception and some other good plays, but this year he seems to be just another guy. Maybe he doesn't fit the scheme?

One thing I noticed from the game against the Redskins is that, even when we were generating a good pressure, Campbell was able to throw and complete the ball. Those were throws off his back foot, and are easy to pick off.
Infact, Wade, in his press conference, said

Quote:
Cover guys playing too soft?
Some of it was that, but we didn’t play it right. We’re playing a zone and one guy plays man-to-man. (Are they not contesting the ball on passes?) Several of them we had the QB falling off, throwing off the back foot. If everybody played the right zone coverage it would have been an INT.
source: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/story...1/19/154012/59

Still, I'm pretty confident with our D. First because Campbell throwed for 300 but in 55 attempts and at 6.4 YPA (which is not great), second because with Henry back we are a lot better, because we have someone who can play tight and npt give the 10 yards cushion that Jacques Reeves does all the time, and last but not least because we were playing good football on defense and I don't think we won't show any improvement.

P.S.: If not for that intentional grounding, now Ware would have 10 sacks, leading the league. And, opposite to Merriman, he doesn't get his sack 3 a game against crap teams, but he's getting one sack every game.
We still have to face Detroit, so I think Ware will reach the 16 sacks marker.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's the same with every fan on every team. ...well except for maybe Patriots fans... Any time you have a weakness on the team, fans criticize the players responsible and search for a fix. Roy certainly isn't the only problem on the team, but his contract makes him an issue not worth wasting breath on.
Yes i know, but it makes it more frustrating to see someone that you always bragged about turn into this. I always used to say "yeah you guys wish you had a player like roy on your team" and now its like "at least you guys dont have roy at safety" but whatever ill live with him because I have to.

Side note d-unit -- Magic look sick this year. I just wish we would have tried to go after Gerald Wallace and Lewis instead of giving lewis bigger contract than needed, but this team seems to be working. I'd like to see ariza get some more PT, but apparently he is only a situational guy in SVG's eyes. We could really do some damage in the east this year though. I'd say they are only a year or 2 away from being legitimate title contenders. We could even make it this year if all the chips fell the right way but I doubt we could beat a team like the spurs.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Yes i know, but it makes it more frustrating to see someone that you always bragged about turn into this. I always used to say "yeah you guys wish you had a player like roy on your team" and now its like "at least you guys dont have roy at safety" but whatever ill live with him because I have to.

Side note d-unit -- Magic look sick this year. I just wish we would have tried to go after Gerald Wallace and Lewis instead of giving lewis bigger contract than needed, but this team seems to be working. I'd like to see ariza get some more PT, but apparently he is only a situational guy in SVG's eyes. We could really do some damage in the east this year though. I'd say they are only a year or 2 away from being legitimate title contenders. We could even make it this year if all the chips fell the right way but I doubt we could beat a team like the spurs.
Eh... Don't get me started on what the Magic "should've" done... but yeah, they look good early on so far... I don't think they're legit yet, but it's fun to see what they're unfolding to be.

Me, you and MOTH... Cowboys and Magic fans..??? What are the odds??? Anyone else? :)
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Funny. True. Unfixable.

Roy's contract makes him a permanent issue that we have to learn to live with.
Wrong, bench him. Hamlin and Watkins. (Ain't that right Burns?)

Regardless, if the Skins can burn the Archuleta contract after 1 fing year. We can do so also.

The problem is ..... there are still many people that think he is good, that he will EVENTUALLY make a big play, that SS "don't cover" so what is the problem, that he makes lots of tackles, that he makes money, that he makes the Pro Bowl eery eyar .................. and these same folks use other really stupid ways of measuring his performance and then saying he is "above average" or "has not given up any big plays this year."

But the eyeball test is Roy's failure. He makes plays that mediocre back-ups could make. Tackling Cooley. Wow! Big game changer. Cooley, nice player --not a physical presence. When it comes to coverage maybe on the level of a Tampa II MIKE but without the same physical presence.

Just like it took the Cowboys time to realize Bledsoe was not the answer (even Jerry had his serious reservations). Allegedly smart football people and fans could not believe an Undrafted FA could be better than the #1 pick in the Draft. Those people are as wrong on Bledsoe as others are on Roy Williams. No amount of goodwill takes away from his being a failure.

Ken Hamlin and Pat Watkins would be a dramatic improvement in our Base D and Nickel -- already made a huge difference in DIME. We just have yet to have the traumatic catalyst to force change. And yes it will take trauma to finally make the move because as you point out -- it requires admitting you mis-spent $$$$ and you need to write it off. Horrid feeling htat takes the smartest folks time to admit.

But, either way. Roy will retire a very rich man and I keep slaving away at crap. So, just a game, but garbage is garbage no matter what it was before.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post

Regardless, if the Skins can burn the Archuleta contract after 1 fing year. We can do so also.

The problem is ..... there are still many people that think he is good, that he will EVENTUALLY make a big play, that SS "don't cover" so what is the problem, that he makes lots of tackles, that he makes money, that he makes the Pro Bowl eery eyar .................. and these same folks use other really stupid ways of measuring his performance and then saying he is "above average" or "has not given up any big plays this year."

But the eyeball test is Roy's failure. He makes plays that mediocre back-ups could make. Tackling Cooley. Wow! Big game changer. Cooley, nice player --not a physical presence. When it comes to coverage maybe on the level of a Tampa II MIKE but without the same physical presence.

Just like it took the Cowboys time to realize Bledsoe was not the answer (even Jerry had his serious reservations). Allegedly smart football people and fans could not believe an Undrafted FA could be better than the #1 pick in the Draft. Those people are as wrong on Bledsoe as others are on Roy Williams. No amount of goodwill takes away from his being a failure.

Ken Hamlin and Pat Watkins would be a dramatic improvement in our Base D and Nickel -- already made a huge difference in DIME. We just have yet to have the traumatic catalyst to force change. And yes it will take trauma to finally make the move because as you point out -- it requires admitting you mis-spent $$$$ and you need to write it off. Horrid feeling htat takes the smartest folks time to admit.

But, either way. Roy will retire a very rich man and I keep slaving away at crap. So, just a game, but garbage is garbage no matter what it was before.
You cannot bench Roy. He makes too much money. He's also one of the leaders of the team even if he makes the mistakes he's making. He's got the resume that the younger players look up to. And he'll make the Pro Bowl once again, but that doesn't mean we're saying he deserves it. It means we're saying it will happen and we will be right about it.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Roy Williams was too distracted with zones that were not his in this past game. He's trying to be Ed Reed and be that center field guy, and it costed us big plays. He just needs to focus on his man or his zone and play football. He can be good if he only plays within himself.

BoneKrusher

Last edited by Staubach12 : 11-20-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are beyond talking to, so whatever.

The most surprising thing I've heard all week was Phillips praise of Ratliff. To say that he is the best pass rushing NT in the league, when Phillips himself has coached the likes of Jamal Williams, is high, high praise indeed. Wow. I am loving Ratliff's play this year, and I'm beginning to think that he has a chance to be a star. He was the only guy I noticed consistently getting into the backfield against the Skins other than DMW.

A few more notes/thoughts on this game before we move on to the Jets:

- Speaking of Ware, I was wondering why in the hell we didn't flip him over to the strongside more? Wouldn't you want to give your best pass rusher, and possible DPOY candidate (yes, he deserves to be mentioned as such), to get some shots against the other teams worst lineman, an UDFA rookie, no less? We have flipped him tons all throughout the season, and all of a sudden no? The few plays I did notice him there, he blew by the guy every time. I just don't get it.

- People need to remember that we still haven't had a chance to play the defense that WP has intended for us to play since day one. He wants to play a lot of man-to-man with heavy pressure up front and Hamlin in the middle of the field, with Roy roaming the underneath zones and LOS. Haven't seen that look yet because of the ongoing issues at CB. As a result, we have been playing a ton of zone, which, as Thule has so vocally pointed out, we struggle mightily in both recognition and execution. If we ever get healthy at CB, this defense might look vastly different than what we've seen up to this point.

- Cooley has a chance to become a legitimate game changer at TE. He has improved every time I see him play. He is faster and bigger than he was even as recently as last year, and he has incredible savvy with his route running. I always thought of him as a "nice player" type, but he might be able to make it into that elite tier.

- Anyone who doesn't realize how amazing that tackle from Roy was is blinded by their own hard feelings towards the guy. When the catch was made, I already started yelling because I thought there was no way in hell that we had a chance to bring him down before he got to the marker. Roy closed with amazing speed, and made the tackle even though he had a bad angle. If you listen to the broadcast, both Aikman and Buck also were marveling at it. That play was huge, and was just as good as a TO/FF/Int/Sack, as it ended a potential scoring drive.

- I am struggling to get over Tony's willingness to throw the ball up for grabs. It seems like he is a lead-pipe lock for at least 1 Int and another two or three close misses a game. It might seem like quibbling, because he more than makes up for it with all the big plays he delivers, but it sure as hell freaks me out.

- Anyone who refuses to acknowledge how well Bradie James is playing has no credibility left with me. He had a little bit of a disappointing game this week.....and still played well enough for me to notice him. He is playing at a Pro Bowl level, and I can say that with 100% confidence.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

We've started to see Burnett get more of Ayodele's playing time... I hope that continues. Right now Ayodele has 33 tackles to Burnett's 31 and Burnett's minutes have been significantly less.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
We've started to see Burnett get more of Ayodele's playing time... I hope that continues. Right now Ayodele has 33 tackles to Burnett's 31 and Burnett's minutes have been significantly less.
It's coming.... Wade needs that flexibility in the middle.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Eh... Don't get me started on what the Magic "should've" done... but yeah, they look good early on so far... I don't think they're legit yet, but it's fun to see what they're unfolding to be.

Me, you and MOTH... Cowboys and Magic fans..??? What are the odds??? Anyone else? :)
Dodgers too by any chance? I dont know, I think I must of had a thing for blue and white as a kid or something and didn't realize it. I picked those 3 teams when I was young and have stuck with them ever since... To say the least, It's been a rough stretch -- especially the past 10 years.

I agree with you though. They arent legit yet, but the east is so weak that you never know. I still think were a year or 2 and some competent help for Dwight down low away from being real contenders. He's the future at Center though and should dominate the league for years to come.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I'd be open to seeing how that worked but once again, RW's jersey is probably the one you see the most of when watching a cowboys game, he is still a "name" among common fans who don't really break down games, he is tied into cowboys marketing and is still a fan favorite for the most part (once again, the average fan). I think everyone on this board has actually accepted that he sucks in coverage, and isnt the overall playmaker he used to be, but we're stuck with him for more reasons than one so we'd better get used to it.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would love that move if it happened, initially I thought it would make us weaker against the run, now im pretty sure that it would make us all around better...

I have a question about Carpenter though, if he is only playing special teams how is he going to get a chance to prove himself? Granted maybe he isnt playing up to his level of play, but id love to see him start one game out there or get some snaps instead of rotting on special teams..I know trades never happen, but we could really get something of need for a 1st rd draft pick who hasnt played nearly enough to label him a bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I would love that move if it happened, initially I thought it would make us weaker against the run, now im pretty sure that it would make us all around better...

I have a question about Carpenter though, if he is only playing special teams how is he going to get a chance to prove himself? Granted maybe he isnt playing up to his level of play, but id love to see him start one game out there or get some snaps instead of rotting on special teams..I know trades never happen, but we could really get something of need for a 1st rd draft pick who hasnt played nearly enough to label him a bust
If Burnett moved into the base defense I would think there is a chance carp could be used to spell him in the nickle....However, I think a more likely situation would be Akin spelling Burnett in the base and allowing him run the nickle full time.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
I'd be open to seeing how that worked but once again, RW's jersey is probably the one you see the most of when watching a cowboys game, he is still a "name" among common fans who don't really break down games, he is tied into cowboys marketing and is still a fan favorite for the most part (once again, the average fan). I think everyone on this board has actually accepted that he sucks in coverage, and isnt the overall playmaker he used to be, but we're stuck with him for more reasons than one so we'd better get used to it.
D/Burns ---

Well between you me and a lamp post, keeping Roy around b/c he made Pro Bowls he did not deserve, is "popular," has sold T-Shirts, and has a big contract is about as bad an example for our young players, and for the morale of the team, as I can imagine.

Can it be any worse to sit in a room looking at a guy who is around because he was around? A shell of a player sitting their taking up space and pointing fingers at others to pass off his failures? Talking about Jesus when he can't talk football?

Sure must be nice to be the teacher's pet. Never had the luck to have a Jerry Jones have a man-crush on me.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
If Burnett moved into the base defense I would think there is a chance carp could be used to spell him in the nickle....However, I think a more likely situation would be Akin spelling Burnett in the base and allowing him run the nickle full time.
If we move Burnett to replace Akin then safe to assume two thign IMHO ....

1) Wade wants less beef and more athleticism and speed --- which Carp can provide better than Akin.

2) Akin is expendalbe this off season.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
D/Burns ---

Well between you me and a lamp post, keeping Roy around b/c he made Pro Bowls he did not deserve, is "popular," has sold T-Shirts, and has a big contract is about as bad an example for our young players, and for the morale of the team, as I can imagine.

Can it be any worse to sit in a room looking at a guy who is around because he was around? A shell of a player sitting their taking up space and pointing fingers at others to pass off his failures? Talking about Jesus when he can't talk football?

Sure must be nice to be the teacher's pet. Never had the luck to have a Jerry Jones have a man-crush on me.
I agree with you, We were just saying that this is probably what goes through Jerry's mind when he considers roy's place on the team.