Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: what is the most difficult sport to play?
Football 6 9.09%
Basketball 3 4.55%
Baseball 9 13.64%
Soccer 4 6.06%
Rugby 4 6.06%
Tennis 4 6.06%
Golf 21 31.82%
Hockey 15 22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll have to go with Baseball.

Try to hit a 95+ mph Fastball. MLB pitcher can also throw some NASTY off-speed and breaking pitches that will make you look foolish.

Last edited by MaxV : 11-22-2007 at 01:01 PM.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pure athleticism means nothing in golf. You have to find the right swing. On top of that, there is often a small margin of error on the course itself. I play for fun, but I am definitely addicted. I have invested $600 in my clubs and another $500 in lessons to play the game right. Lessons have taken me from a 40 over par golfer to a bogey golfer. Really not bad progress considering I've been playing for less than 3 years...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I'll have to go with Baseball.

Try to hit a 95+ mph Fastball. MLB pitcher can only throw some NASTY off-speed and breaking pitches that will make you look foolish.
I don't think anyone is saying that any specific sport is not hard to play. I believe that physical skill means more in other sports except golf. You can have all the raw physical ability, but if you don't focus and do things the right way, you won't get by. People can get by on athleticism in every other sport.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 11-22-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Pure athleticism means nothing in golf. You have to find the right swing. On top of that, there is often a small margin of error on the course itself. I play for fun, but I am definitely addicted. I have invested $600 in my clubs and another $500 in lessons to play the game right. Lessons have taken me from a 40 over par golfer to a bogey golfer. Really not bad progress considering I've been playing for less than 3 years...
Lessons in golf are a must.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on your definition of hard, and who you are. For me, it's definitely hockey or golf. There are a lot of people out there who can't even control themselves on ice skates. Let alone play a fast paced, physical game on them. I believe golf requires the most skill out of all the sports I've tried.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MMA or Hockey

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Depends on your definition of hard, and who you are. For me, it's definitely hockey or golf. There are a lot of people out there who can't even control themselves on ice skates. Let alone play a fast paced, physical game on them. I believe golf requires the most skill out of all the sports I've tried.
When I picture you playing golf I picture this:

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
Lessons in golf are a must.
You know what's weird about golf? When a decent looking girl is out there on the course, she almost instantly becomes hotter. Weird phenomenon...

Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
You know what's weird about golf? When a decent looking girl is out there on the course, she almost instantly becomes hotter. Weird phenomenon...
Absolutely. I have definitely seen some hot girls playing golf. Its even worse when them hot girls are better then you.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-22-2007, 11:08 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

It is usually embarrassing when a girl is better than me at anything, unless we're talking about pleasing a man...

NYGibril28
Pro Bowler

NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Absolutely. I have definitely seen some hot girls playing golf. Its even worse when them hot girls are better then you.
My ex-girlfriend played golf. She was good, thankfully, I was still better. We played together twice.

I remember one score, i shot a 43, she shot a 47.

The second time I don't remember, we both played pretty crappy. On 18, I think i was between 90-95.

Paul

New York Giants
New York Yankees
New York Knicks (unfortunately)
UConn Basketball
Virginia Tech Football
UConn Football
NYGibril28 is offline   Reply With Quote
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
When I picture you playing golf I picture this:

Haha, nice. Man I wish I golfed more often. I've actually only been out to the links a handful of times. I can hit the thing pretty far most of the time, but it's all over once I get close to the hole. Definitely the most frustrating game I've ever played, but also the most enjoyable atmosphere. So that makes up for it.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGibril28 View Post
My ex-girlfriend played golf. She was good, thankfully, I was still better. We played together twice.

I remember one score, i shot a 43, she shot a 47.

The second time I don't remember, we both played pretty crappy. On 18, I think i was between 90-95.
Between 90-95 is awesome.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-22-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Haha, nice. Man I wish I golfed more often. I've actually only been out to the links a handful of times. I can hit the thing pretty far most of the time, but it's all over once I get close to the hole. Definitely the most frustrating game I've ever played, but also the most enjoyable atmosphere. So that makes up for it.
I've only played golf a few times too. Not a fan. Too much walking and not enough playing in my opinion. I can see why business is done on the course though.

I was pretty bad my first time, but it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. The hardest thing for me was driving it because I tried to crank it instead of just hitting a nice solid shot which resulted in some shanks. Still, I think I was instantly a decent putter and my short game wasn't terrible either.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If I shoot under 100 on 18 holes, I consider it a good day. I aim to par every hole. If I had started playing younger, I might have been better. Oh well.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I'm going to start a golf thread. Link to come soon.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I've only played golf a few times too. Not a fan. Too much walking and not enough playing in my opinion. I can see why business is done on the course though.

I was pretty bad my first time, but it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. The hardest thing for me was driving it because I tried to crank it instead of just hitting a nice solid shot which resulted in some shanks. Still, I think I was instantly a decent putter and my short game wasn't terrible either.
I get a golf cart every time. I never walk.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-22-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=15075

Official Golf Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post

Yeah I remember the first time I went to the driving range I was swinging the damn club like it was a baseball bat and it took me awhile to straighten the thing out. Definitely a tough transition for people who are used to baseball. It's weird how it's all about your mechanics much more so than your power if you want to hit it far. Kinda the same in baseball, but not quite to the same extent.

As far as putting, I just plain suck. It takes awhile to get used to how fast that green is. Seems like you barely tap the ball and it goes rolling 20 yards. It's all about repetition, and I've just never spent enough time on it. The fun part for me is hitting it off that tee.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The old saying goes, "You hit for show, but you put for dough." Doesn't matter how far you can hit it off the tee. In the end, you can be successful hitting it straight and using your short game to win.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

The question is :

WHAT IS THE MOST DIFFICULT SPORT TO PLAY?

Golf is not that difficult to play. In terms of any one person going on on the first try and playing sport, someone can play Golf relativly easily because it is not hard to get the jist of it. A sport like Football is similar. My pick would have to be Hockey or Baseball. Technically, it would probably be Baseball because in Hockey, it all comes down to if you can skate or not.
Baseball, take probably the mosr prized skill in all of sports, in hitting a MLB baseball.

Im talking about which one takes the longest to be good at....im talking about which sport it takes the longest to get somewhat of a feel about the game.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:28 AM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
If Golf was so difficult, then why do you see 50 year olds start playing and end up playing pretty well. It is Tennis. Not only is it a sport that takes incredible endurance, but it mixes in hand-eye-coordination and split-second strategy.
Smart guy. I had trouble just playing it in Gym class when I took it, and I consider myself to be semi-athletic. People are saying how hard it is to hit a 95 MPH fastball, but what about a 120 MPH serve? And you have to decide in less than a second, forehand or backhand or lob or smash.

I think golf is the hardest to master however.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my reasoning for why hockey is harder than golf. If I put a golf ball 50 feet from you, you could walk to it(or get a cart, which makes it even easier) and hit it. Now would you hit it well? Proabaly not. But eventually after like 40 strokes, you could finish the hole, and you're playing golf. Now if I put a puck at centre ice and you started from the boards, if you don't know how to skate, can you get to that puck to actually do anything? Maybe if you crawled, but then you're not playing hockey. In terms of getting good at the sport, yes golf is probably the most difficult. But in terms of pick up and play? Hockey is easily more difficult than golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
The old saying goes, "You hit for show, but you put for dough." Doesn't matter how far you can hit it off the tee. In the end, you can be successful hitting it straight and using your short game to win.
It always amazes me when I'm watching the golf highlights where some guy just smacks it out of a sand trap or something and it takes a hop onto the green and rolls perfectly into the hole. Always a big WTF!? moment for me. Even just some of the long putts on a slanted green are amazing as hell. The real game of inches.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
Here's my reasoning for why hockey is harder than golf. If I put a golf ball 50 feet from you, you could walk to it(or get a cart, which makes it even easier) and hit it. Now would you hit it well? Proabaly not. But eventually after like 40 strokes, you could finish the hole, and you're playing golf. Now if I put a puck at centre ice and you started from the boards, if you don't know how to skate, can you get to that puck to actually do anything? Maybe if you crawled, but then you're not playing hockey. In terms of getting good at the sport, yes golf is probably the most difficult. But in terms of pick up and play? Hockey is easily more difficult than golf.
Good stuff man. Thats the right stuff there.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote