Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
hahaha I wouldnt be surprised if they do that. Its a really good school if you dont mind that stuff. The Galleria is close by and you are pretty close to downtown Houston. The Houston Medical Center is within walking distance just in case you are interested in Biology or pre-med. You are really close to Reliant Stadium if you ever want to see a Texans game.
My recommendation is not to go to an urban campus unless you are 21+. There are less parties because everyone goes to the bars. If you don't have a fake id and you aren't 21 the first couple of years will not be any where near as fun as they could be. Go to someplace that is in a college town.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
well i got 3 major scholarships so i was set. but if youre going to have to take out a buttload of loans just stay in community college for another year. you should save the loans and the out-of-state school for graduate school. you'll be better off in the end.
If you want to go out of state and the amount of tuition is a big quality then I recommend taking a year off and working in the town that your college is in. If you work there for one year then you can get in state tuition and will be a lot cheaper.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im young and havent looked into colleges yet. Generally what would you say you need for a scholarship, grade wise? Im not what you would say is the best student, but I do want to play football in college. Do colleges look at all 4 years of HS? If I started to get my grades up now, would the past even matter?

Just some questions I havent asked my guidance counselor yet.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

speaking of colleges, I have had between a 2.7-2.3 my whole high school career, I am not certain that will get me into a 4 year university. Also I have the option of being a part time senior and attending the local CC to get credits.

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
speaking of colleges, I have had between a 2.7-2.3 my whole high school career, I am not certain that will get me into a 4 year university. Also I have the option of being a part time senior and attending the local CC to get credits.

Any tips or suggestions?
Apply anyways to a 4 year university and see what happens. At worst you lose the application fee that you paid for. Try to bring up your grades during finals this semester if you are a senior or any grade for that matter. If you are a senior then next semester obviously wont be sent to colleges but if you are younger then keep working to try and bring up your GPA.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I just filled out the Fafsa and got my loans through the school/government I didn't have to fill anything else out. That is the best way to do it, because you will probably get at least some of it subsidized, I don't have any interest on 3/4ths of my loan until I graduate, plus I can defer it for either 6 months or a year afterwards.

I didn't know you could get loans through Fafsa; I'll look in to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post

Any tips or suggestions?
That's why I went to a CC for a year. High school my GPA was 2.53, College around 3.5, and my counselor said I could get to any college I want now; even though I only been in CC for 1 year.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea the thing is I dont wanna go to a CC, I wanna go to a college all 4 years. It seems like such a great expierence and I dont wanna spend a year or 2 at home.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
I didn't know you could get loans through Fafsa; I'll look in to that.

That's why I went to a CC for a year. High school my GPA was 2.53, College around 3.5, and my counselor said I could get to any college I want now; even though I only been in CC for 1 year.
Yep, I didn't get a single grant, only subsidized loans. It all depends on how much money your household makes.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

KillerSanta, if you really want to go out of state but think you will have a hard time affording it come to Canada. Tuition here is way cheaper and there are some great schools in Ontario for just about every field of study. I have a few friends from Maine, Mass and Rhode Island who go to school with me in Nova Scotia. They love it, are getting a degree that will be just as good for them back home and they're saving on tuition.

Plus you only have to wait until you're 19 to legally drink.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
KillerSanta, if you really want to go out of state but think you will have a hard time affording it come to Canada. Tuition here is way cheaper and there are some great schools in Ontario for just about every field of study. I have a few friends from Maine, Mass and Rhode Island who go to school with me in Nova Scotia. They love it, are getting a degree that will be just as good for them back home and they're saving on tuition.

Where do you go ?

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:

You go to St. FX??
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

Oh, I go to Saint Mary's.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
True enough. Did you make the trip to the Vanier? I played football you here with Darcy Brown...you know him?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hate you for beating the **** out of us in Uteck Bowl :P

#MoncriefArmy
Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:

In any event, I agree. I think people underestimate Canadian schools ALOT. I think it would be a great idea, plus he would be able to loans to pay for school. Not to mention, depending on where you go, you would have one hell of a time. For example, if you went to University of Toronto, you would have a great night life, more so off campus, because you are right down town, and have all the bars/clubs etc very close to you. Or you could go to a school like University of Guelph, where it is in somewhat of a hick town, and almost everything you have/need is on campus. The parties are usually big house parties and can get pretty wild. I would reccomend a CIS school if you were interested.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Haha, yeah we've gotten pretty good again.

Didn't make the trip up for the Vanier. Too busy with school this year.

Yeah I know Darcy Brown, not well tho. You played with him in HS?

I used to be on the team, but never got any playing time so left after 2005 season.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Billingsley where do you go next year finally ?

#MoncriefArmy
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Haha, yeah we've gotten pretty good again.

Didn't make the trip up for the Vanier. Too busy with school this year.

Yeah I know Darcy Brown, not well tho. You played with him in HS?

I used to be on the team, but never got any playing time so left after 2005 season.
Not, HS, but in Ontario we have the OVFL and I played with him for the Mississauga Warriors. He was a TE then, and I was shocked to see lined up at WR/SB...I didnt remember him having that much speed. No knock on him tho.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
I'll look in to them, thanks.

Also, I'm just planning ahead. I plan on filling out a boat load of scholarships, also my counselor told me, if I can get a 3.0, which I'm way above, she could get me a nice scholarship.
Just for the record.

Sallie Mae is the devil.
Look into Direct Loans (both are government run, but sallie mae is a quasi-governmental entity that is for-profit, unlike direct loans)...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo_oT88 View Post
Billingsley where do you go next year finally ?
Ive got both ears open right now. Im looking at pretty much schools from everywhere. I wouldnt mind OUA schools, but I know a lot of people at Bishops, and they seemed to turn things around. I also have had a lot of contact with St. FX, and UBC. I am somewhat interested in going to a school in the praries as well...but we'll see.

Right now Im at a Juco, so we'll see what makes of that. The only thing, is the academics here are a joke. Its like grade 11 all over again, and I really dont know if I want to hang around here for much longer....I have to be realistic at some point and uderstand that making it to the NFL is NOT going to happen, and I kind of want to get on with my education...so we'll see.

Where are you going to go?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
Ive got both ears open right now. Im looking at pretty much schools from everywhere. I wouldnt mind OUA schools, but I know a lot of people at Bishops, and they seemed to turn things around. I also have had a lot of contact with St. FX, and UBC. I am somewhat interested in going to a school in the praries as well...but we'll see.

Right now Im at a Juco, so we'll see what makes of that. The only thing, is the academics here are a joke. Its like grade 11 all over again, and I really dont know if I want to hang around here for much longer....I have to be realistic at some point and uderstand that making it to the NFL is NOT going to happen, and I kind of want to get on with my education...so we'll see.

Where are you going to go?
I've got offer from Ottawa, Montreal, UBC and Sherbrooke. I'm probably gonna go to Sherbrooke university. 10-15mins from Bishop. My gf is heading there but I may use my option on Ottawa they seems to be a pretty good team so. I'm probably gonna visit some schools in december to meet the staff and all. Next year is gonna be awesome though :D

#MoncriefArmy
Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I've got offer from Ottawa, Montreal, UBC and Sherbrooke. I'm probably gonna go to Sherbrooke university. 10-15mins from Bishop. My gf is heading there but I may use my option on Ottawa they seems to be a pretty good team so. I'm probably gonna visit some schools in december to meet the staff and all. Next year is gonna be awesome though :D
Nice. Last year I went on several visits all over, and I loved it. I thought the Bishos trip was great lol. Ottawa does have a good program, and they have a great QB in Sacobie. Im pretty sure he comes back next year, so Ottawa should be at or near the top of the OUA again.

Dont know much about Montreal, except that they have a relatively new program and have done quite well. I thought I remember them losing to Laval in the Quebec finals a few years ago. Dont know alot about Sherbrooke either.

A couple schools that I want to go to in Ontario are Windsor and Western. Windsor because a few guys from my HS went there and one of them are doing quite well as a freshman. Western because of similar reason listed above, but also because of Greg Marshall and the fact that his programs are always successful, and from what Ive picked up when I met him make me believe in him. Also, If U of T were to ever turn it around I would consider them, ESPECIALLY if they sing Larry Haylor (the former Western HC before Marshall, won a few Vaniers and was very successful) as their HC as it is rumoured. Gonna be intersting.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Nice. Last year I went on several visits all over, and I loved it. I thought the Bishos trip was great lol. Ottawa does have a good program, and they have a great QB in Sacobie. Im pretty sure he comes back next year, so Ottawa should be at or near the top of the OUA again.

Dont know much about Montreal, except that they have a relatively new program and have done quite well. I thought I remember them losing to Laval in the Quebec finals a few years ago. Dont know alot about Sherbrooke either.

A couple schools that I want to go to in Ontario are Windsor and Western. Windsor because a few guys from my HS went there and one of them are doing quite well as a freshman. Western because of similar reason listed above, but also because of Greg Marshall and the fact that his programs are always successful, and from what Ive picked up when I met him make me believe in him. Also, If U of T were to ever turn it around I would consider them, ESPECIALLY if they sing Larry Haylor (the former Western HC before Marshall, won a few Vaniers and was very successful) as their HC as it is rumoured. Gonna be intersting.
Toronto was showing some interest but I thought they were awful :P I may be reconsidering my option on them but I don't really know how good they are or will be. I'm a Wide Receiver so I kind of want a good QB to pass the ball :P

#MoncriefArmy
Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Toronto was showing some interest but I thought they were awful :P I may be reconsidering my option on them but I don't really know how good they are or will be. I'm a Wide Receiver so I kind of want a good QB to pass the ball :P
Well, to show you the coaching staff they had last year...Dave Hamilton was the QB last year and I think led the CIS or was at the top of the CIS in Passing yards. This year they then switch to a rookie QB. Hamilton got hurt at one point, but even when he came back they stuck with the rookie, and its not like the rookie won any games haha.

I have heard rumours that they are serioud about brining in Haylor which would be HUGE for recruiting as well as the on field prodcution. So we'll see. If the same coach comes back, which there is a possibility it happens, then you may want to take a pass on Toronto for now.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well, to show you the coaching staff they had last year...Dave Hamilton was the QB last year and I think led the CIS or was at the top of the CIS in Passing yards. This year they then switch to a rookie QB. Hamilton got hurt at one point, but even when he came back they stuck with the rookie, and its not like the rookie won any games haha.

I have heard rumours that they are serioud about brining in Haylor which would be HUGE for recruiting as well as the on field prodcution. So we'll see. If the same coach comes back, which there is a possibility it happens, then you may want to take a pass on Toronto for now.
Well if I play in Ontario I might switch position to Safety. Much more fun :D

#MoncriefArmy