Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

ripdw27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 2008 draft

thought we could use this

who do you guys they we should go after in the upcoming draft?

id like to see dan connor from psu or kenny phillips in the 1st. id really love to trade up and get a shot at dorsey or jake long. thats a longshot. the rest of the draft really depends on how we go in the 1st. i really hated how last year we went moss/crowder, shoulda been nelson/crowder. id rather see kenny phillips in the 1st because john lynch is on the verge of retirement.
ripdw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdw27 View Post
thought we could use this

who do you guys they we should go after in the upcoming draft?

id like to see dan connor from psu or kenny phillips in the 1st. id really love to trade up and get a shot at dorsey or jake long. thats a longshot. the rest of the draft really depends on how we go in the 1st. i really hated how last year we went moss/crowder, shoulda been nelson/crowder. id rather see kenny phillips in the 1st because john lynch is on the verge of retirement.
long wouldn't fit our scheme and despite how bad we're playing Dorsey will most likely be out of our reach. philips, ellis, rivers, and connor will probably be the most realistic choices. but it wont matter unless the coaches get a clue on how to run a defense and call plays
Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
philips, ellis, rivers, and connor will probably be the most realistic choices.
Phillips - will probably go early due to a thin draft for S

Ellis - not sure the Broncos will want to pair Ellis and Thomas at DT, probably looking for a bigger body to anchor the line.

Rivers - only if we want to address WLB, which means a) Gold is gone and b) they don't move DJ back to the weakside.

Connor - probably the best fit as he could slot in nicely at either MLB or SLB.

I wouldn't rule out OT, as it is a deep class at that position and Lepsis is getting beaten like a rented mule on a regular basis. Also, where we're likely to pick (in the 'teens) there will probably be decent value at both LB and OT.

Quote:
but it wont matter unless the coaches get a clue on how to run a defense and call plays
Sad but true.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm almost resigned to desean jackson (or similar) as shanny refuses to admit that there are serious issues with the team.
I fear this as well.

Quote:
were i to replace mike shanahan tomorrow, i'd be shopping my pick like crazy to move out of the first round (as i'm assuming we won't lose 4 straight and end up with a top 5 pick). i'd want to move down and get picks in the 2/3 this year and something next year. there's
I'm with you on this. One of the mocks had the Broncos getting two 2nd rounders from Miami in return for their 1st... that could definitely work in our favor. I don't see any reason for us to reach, there's enough depth at positions we need to address.

Quote:
i'd really be targetting say, philip wheeler in the early to mid second to plug in at any of the LB spots (i've only seen a limited number of his games, so maybe my first take was off and he'd only fit in at one of the spots?).
I think your first take is correct - he could be very effective at any of the LB positions. I really like his instincts and reaction speed. There are others as well (e.g. Ali Highsmith, Beau Bell)... this is a great draft to be looking for linebackers.

Quote:
i think he goes way sooner, but i'd really look hard at felix jones in the same area. if jackson falls for some reason, he'd get a strong look from me in the late 2nd, otherwise i might look CB here (as it just doesn't seem to me like there's a lot of 2nd round safety value... though i'm open to names).
This draft class sucks for safeties. The good ones will probably go too high (the old supply-demand thing) and the 2nd tier aren't worth first day picks IMO.

CB is a different story - fairly solid class this time around. Probably get decent value wherever you pick.

Quote:
i don't believe we can draft anyone who'd be able to fill that "massive body" role for the team.
I think that's pretty fair to say. It takes DT's time to develop - get a proven player in FA and you can get immediate production. I'm not sure the franchise is patient enough at this point to have another year of growing pains along the DL.

Quote:
actually, to add on to that, i cut loose every single mercenary veteran on the team and refuse to sign any more of them. this team needs to re-build and i'm perfectly willing to accept 3-13 if it's clear we're actually rebuilding and making steps in the right direction.
Yes, Shanahan is entirely against "rebuilding". He's the king of the patch job. The problem is if you patch the team repeatedly you end up with an ugly mess... which is where we are at now.

I think it would be wise to see if Champ has any trade value. There's only so much impact he can have from the CB position - essentially, he's a luxury at this point.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

at least we have a cornerstone to build with we are set at skilled positions on offense, i think your right about how we can still get quality lineman later. is there any site where you can see whos going to be a free agent/last year of there contract?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
that pains me. although not necessarily untrue, i don't think any of our CB depth is ready to step in. a trade this year (imo) would pretty much set us on the road for 3-13, and even though shanny is safe from all criticism by the media, i'm not sure cutler would survive it. if we're able to either replace him or get well beyond value for him, i could see it. on the other hand, i'd hate to lose him for something as insignificant as a mid-first in this year's class.
I think any trade for Champ would have to bring us a player/players we need, not just draft picks. A lesser CB (e.g. Foxy) might do fine with a better pass rush and less concern about stopping the run. Pressure created by the front seven protects the secondary to some degree, and right now that lack of protection limits the impact our top-flight CB's can have on the game.

Champ isn't getting any younger. If our attempt to fix the defense is focused on the draft, then we've got at least another year of transition / growing pains. New DC? Same thing. I'm not sure what Champ's trade value would be after his rather lacklustre season, but if name alone can bring a good price I think the team should consider it carefully.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

no we gotta hang on to bailey. qb's will pick apart the secondary with dre bly high risk/high reward and foxworths inexperience. then we would be giving up lots of pass yards and rush yards which would pretty much mean the offense has to score on nearly every possession.

im gonna play a lil devils advocate on this one tho. there could always be some possibilty of trading bailey for vilma and possibly even justin miller (depth at corner, returner) on the jets. im not sure if ny would go for it but its something to think about.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

urinemonkey hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
i'm almost resigned to desean jackson (or similar) as shanny refuses to admit that there are serious issues with the team. i'm pretty infatuated with laurenitis, but i have a feeling he goes far sooner than we'll have a chance to get him. sed ellis seems likely to go before we pick. i'm not sure dan connor is worth the top 15 pick we seem destined for. phillips will be off the board well before we pick and we can't afford to mortgage our draft to move up.
Saying all those players will be gone is very premature, considering the season is far from over and who knows how those players will grade out after the senior bowl, combine, etc. If the draft were today, Denver would be picking 12th overall. That is primo position to grab somebody of impact. My targets at that spot would include Ryan Clady, Sam Baker, Laurinaitis, Connor, and Rivers.

No thanks to Sedrick Ellis, he is too small.

It's not out of the question for Phillips to fall a little. He has not played like the elite prospect everybody says he is this season. If he puts up LaRon Landry type workout numbers at the combine, then I will agree with you.

Trading down and getting Frank Okam might not be a bad idea either. If Bates sticks around and his system is implemented, Okam is a good fit for it, as he can occupy multiple O-linemen and gaps.

I hope to God you're wrong about DeSean Jackson, I might be traumatized for life if that pick happens.
urinemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I want Dre Moore. Period. It all starts in the trenches.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trade Champ Bailey? What the hell? This guy should have 2 defensive player of the year awards, has 4 more years of good CB play left in him, and then most likely could turn out to be a solid safety in the NFL.
If we trade Champ, it will be idiotic IMO.

That said, the Broncos need to address DT, LB and OT IMO. Heck, add RB to that list too. Safety is a mild concern compared to those other positions. Abdullah has played lights out and is a keeper. LB is a freakin nightmare though. Do we keep DJ in the middle, or move him back outside? First off though is cut Ian Gold.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
yeah, i mean, might as well keep the status quo on a crap team. especially when bailey is basically ineffective because of our complete lack of pass rush and run defense. i mean, why even consider trading someone who's been fairly mediocre this year in coverage because he's been too busy covering for the mistakes of the other 10 guys on defense?

i don't know why you people act like it was suggested that we trade him for janikowski and a 7th round pick.
Yeah, there's always a few rather knee-jerk responses when it comes to trade talk & Bailey. I tend to choose my words carefully, such as it would be wise to see if Champ has any trade value or if name alone can bring a good price I think the team should consider it carefully. No one is talking about dumping Bailey - no point in trading him unless the value is there.

The only way I would even consider Champ "untouchable" is if he was taking a strong leadership role on the team. Unfortunately, he's not.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
lights out? have you watched the games? i mean, at all? abdullah's been weak. i wouldn't mind his play if he were backing someone up. but he's not a starter. ESPECIALLY not enough of one to suggest that RB should move ahead of S (?!?!?!?!?!) on the needs list. i don't know how you'd have come to that conclusion.
Abdullah, before the Texans game, was playing well. IMO he will be a quality starter at safety in the future.
And RB, yes, because we need a FRANCHISE runningback. Not a guy that will just get the job done. We haven't had one in a long time.
And if we address the front 7 issue, safety concerns is a moot point IMO.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

Quote:
you suggested RB was a bigger need than S. it clearly is not.

i'll let abdullah's play last night stand for the season. with the exception of the missed tackle, he's looked about the same in every other game i've watched, which is to say, a bit better than nick ferguson, but a bit worse than the average starter in the nfl.

let's say i agree with you on running back. who do you draft? mcfadden's off the board long since. no other first round running back improves the team anywhere near as much as a few of the defensive players who should be available. i've suggested in NUMEROUS other places that i'd love to get felix jones in the second. who do you take, and how important is the position to you? seriously.
Well, thats where it all comes down to. There is nobody for the Broncos to draft outside of McFadden really IMO. I think RB is a need, but others are clearly more important.
At this point, we are looking at a top 10 pick because we won't beat San Diego and Minnesota. Suddenly, some high prospect guys seem very intriguing because we can get them. Such as Jake Long, Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, James Laurinaitis, heck even McFadden might be available to us. Personally, I'd prefer to trade down a couple spots, take a guy like Ryan Clady, Dan Connor or Keith Rivers. In the 1st, we must take either an OT, Glenn Dorsey, or LB IMO. Unless, of course, a guy like McFadden falls into our lap.
If we trade down, pick up a 3rd at least, we should be in good shape. We'd have a high quality OT or LB prospect from the 1st, and in the 2nd/3rd, look at picking the best available for DT, S, RB and either OT/LB, whichever we didn't get in round 1.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

if we were to go running back and dmc is off the board i think we could go stewart, hes a good vision runner and powerful. but i really think were fine at rb with henry/ selvin young to the point that we dont need to use a 1st rounder on him.

our team would be a lot better if we would have done one thing different imo, and thats draft reggie nelson over jarvis moss. then we really wouldnt need a safety this year (weaker S class anyway) and we got crowder later, plus dumervil is dominant, 11.5 sacks i believe?

i wouldnt want mcfadden tho, i like him better then bush but bush has proven that all that hype went down the drain and he cant be a premier back. who knows though the denver draft ALWAYS surprises me. 3 dlineman and a lt last year..
Old 12-25-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
junior2430
Veteran

junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Players I like:

First:

Phillips
Rivers
Connor
Sam Baker
Sed Ellis

Second:

Frank Okam
Ali Highsmith
Beau Bell
Phillip Wheeler
Steltz
Barrett
DeCoud

If we could come out of the first two rounds with two of those eight players (preferebly a LB and a S) then I would be happy. There are some tackles later that should fit our scheme well as well as numerous G's and C's. We really have to do well in the 4-5th rounds this year.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If the Broncos draft Rivers, a RB, or WR in the first I'm going to break something.

We already have on undersized midget at LB (see Gold) and I doubt he will be back next year. We need some freaking size in our front seven defensively and some OT's that can actually block.

Pears has been absolutely horrible and Lepsis obviously isn't what he once was. Our DT's are probably the worst in the league as are the OLB. But FA has some good OLB's available, so that is where that should be addressed.

Cutler is the future of this team and we need to get some protection for him. OT in the first round is where we should go IMO.

Pick up Jordan Gross from Carolina to play RT and draft a LT to take over for Lepsis next year or the following.

I'd like to see them make a play on Feneca or Smiley as well (Hamilton still hasn't recovered and may never).

Get Corey Williams from the Packers to play DT and then use our second rounder, or first if somebody falls and then pick OT in the second.

I'd like to get a safety as well as we need to find Lynch's replacement. He may not be back next year and is currently splitting time with Foxworth anyway (who has not played well in run support).

Dansby, Briggs, Bailey, etc should be targeted to play OLB and IMO we should keep DJ at MLB. He's made some serious progress. I also wouldn't mind drafting Beau either.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
junior2430
Veteran

junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.junior2430 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really like Trevor Laws too. His stock will go up because he can play 3-4 end as well, but his motor is outstanding. He will be a difference maker at the next level.