Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Linux

I just decided to dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu 7.10, with compiz fusion.

Here is a comparison of the visual effects of compiz vs teh visual effects of Vista:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uE...eature=related

Anyone else use Linux here? Once I get it completely set up I'll post some screens of my desktop.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never liked Vista, plus i can't use it on my laptop even though it says vista compitable.

Linux **** looks hot, i would want to do taht but i have no ******* clue how to use it, or how to make it work properly. Also I hear you can't really run a lot of programs on it, like its harder to get surtain programs for it like Auto CAD.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats pretty sick. I have a Mac so I am pretty satisfied with my OS. I would love to dual boot with that, but I am dual booting with XP, because of some of the programs I want to run (mainly sopcast).

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wine allows you to run just about every program that only runs on windows. Once I get the hang of Linux better, I shouldn't even have to boot into windows at all.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

man i want to run that ubuntu **** on mine,
Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

It isn't too hard to set up a dual boot system. Just check around ubuntu.com and read the stuff. It is really easy to be able to go from windows to linux and back.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

i think i will mess around with it during winter break
Old 12-03-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
big linux fan (was using fedora [regular and an enterprise red hat], debian [for a bit], and slackware), especially for the HTPC (don't want anyone playing with it, and the easiest way to make sure they don't is to make sure it looks nothing like windows. unfortunately, half of the hardware i need for recording wasn't supported yet (or wasn't supported well enough) about 6 months ago when i checked. once it is, it seems unlikely that i'll continue to use windows. there's just something fantastic about having nearly every piece of software you'd ever want/need free in a quality that's pretty comparable (or better) to whatever crapware you'd get with a mac or windows.
Ya, free software is the ****. I like ubuntu best of any distros Ive tried.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

What did you guys do about it when it said that it doesn't support MP3s and Dixv files and that. So am i going to have to convert all my stuff. Also would the Ubuntu be compitable with my dell laptop, like all the drivers and stuff
Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
What did you guys do about it when it said that it doesn't support MP3s and Dixv files and that. So am i going to have to convert all my stuff. Also would the Ubuntu be compitable with my dell laptop, like all the drivers and stuff
You can just download codecs that make mp3s and Divx compatible. If you look at the ubuntuforums, they will have threads for dell laptops.