Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Petition for me to be Steelers GM

Here's a 2 year plan to put us at the top of the league.

Offseason:

Sign:

Stacy Andrews, RT, Cincinnati.
Randy Starks, DE, Tennessee
Tom Osborne, ST Coach, Arizona

Fire:

Bob Ligashesky, ST Coach

Re-Sign:

Max Starks, LT
Greg Warren, LS
Chris Kemoeatu, RG
Andre Frazier, OLB
Arnold Harrison, OLB
Trai Essex, LT
Nate Washington, WR

Draft:

1) James Hardy, WR, Indiana ~ 6'5 220lbs 4.52

2) Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana ~ 5'10 190lbs 4.38

3) Nick Hayden, DE, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 310lbs 5.12

4) Jon Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt ~ 6'2 240 4.67

5) Jeremy Thompson, LOLB, Wake Forest ~ 6'5 262lbs 4.75

6) Barry Richardson, RT, Clemson ~ 6'7 338lbs 5.24

Hardy will give us that Big Physical powerful WR that can stretch the field and Be a future #1. How do you beat a team like the Patriots? A strong OL, Deep talented Secondary/WR Core and being physical. Hardy is the first piece of that.

Porter will give us a fast quick CB that will not only give us a pair of hands, an elite returner, but also a good coverage guy.

Hayden gives us a solid and quick SDE that can eventually take over for Hayden.

Jon Goff gives us a solid run stopping and fast ILB that will eventually replace Farrior.

Thompson gives us a solid backup to LaMarr Woodley and good special teams player.

Barry Richardson gives us a backup RT for Andrews.

Depth Chart:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger -> Charlie Batch -> Adam Tafralis (UDFA)
RB: Willie Parker -> Najeh Davenport -> Gary Russell -> Jehuu Caulcrick (UDFA)
FB: Gary Davis -> Jehuu Caulcrick(UDFA)

WR: Hines Ward -> James Hardy
WR: Santonio Holmes -> Cedrick Wilson
WR: Nate Washington -> Tony Burks (UDFA)
TE: Heath Miller -> Matt Spaeth -> Jerame Tuman

LT: Max Starks -> Trai Essex
LG: Willie Colon -> Sean Mahan
OC: Kendall Simmons -> Darnell Stapleton
RG: Chris Kemoeatu -> Sean Mahan
RT: Stacy Andrews -> Barry Richardson

LDE: Aaron Smith -> Nick Hayden
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke -> Kory Robertson
RDE: Brett Keisel -> Randy Starks/Ryan McBean

LOLB: LaMarr Woodley -> Jeremy Thompson
LILB: James Farrior -> Jon Goff
RILB: Lawrence Timmons -> Larry Foote
ROLB: James Harrison -> Arnold Harrison

CB: Ike Taylor -> Tracy Porter -> William ***
CB: DeShea Townsend -> Bryant McFadden -> Anthony Madison

FS: Anthony Smith/Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu -> Tyrone Carter

KR: Tracy Porter
PR: Tracy Porter

P: Daniel Sepulveda
K: Jeff Reed

2009 Draft:

1) Ricky Sapp, ROLB, Clemson ~ 6'4 245lbs 4.58
2) Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 6'0 205lbs 4.43
3) Peria Jerry, NT, Mississippi ~ 6'3 310 4.98
4) Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State ~ 5'9 210lbs 4.43
5) Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi ~ 6'1 190lbs 4.37
6) Xavier Fulton, OT, Illinois ~ 6'5 298lbs 4.96
7) Nick Patterson, S, Ohio State ~ 6'2 210 4.49

Sapp gives us a future passrusher. Reminds me of a taller lankier and more explosive Freeney.

Macho Harris is a Physical CB. I love his counterpart Brandon Flowers but Brandon will go much higher. Harris isn't as physical as Flowers, but he's still physical, has great hands and attacks the run game. With the Patriots, having a CB Repetoire of Taylor, McFadden, Porter and Harris will give us one hell of an edge.

Peria Jerry is a fast NT that will work his way up from 3rd string to Starter eventually.

Javon Ringer is a bowling ball that will be a great asset to us. Basically a MJD for us.

Mike Wallace will give us a second Deep threat. 2 sub 4.4 guys with 2 very tough possession receivers will give us a huge advantage.

Xavier Fulton is an athletic OT to pick up for Essex since we'll likely not pick him up long term with the money we have invested in Andrews/Starks.

Nick Patterson could battle Tyrone Carter for the 4th Safety spot.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 12-31-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

steelersfan27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
LT: Max Starks -> Trai Essex
LG: Willie Colon -> Sean Mahan
OC: Kendall Simmons -> Darnell Stapleton
RG: Chris Kemoeatu -> Sean Mahan
RT: Stacy Andrews -> Barry Richardson
cut Marvel Smith?
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Essex sucks and needs to go.

Max Starks should be resigned, but at RT and not LT. No way these handful of games warrants giving him starting LT money. It would be a big mistake.

You have good knowledge when it comes to the draft, but thank heavens you are not the GM, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

i actually wouldnt mind you being the GM. I like the way you think.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
cut Marvel Smith?
He had season ending back surgery, there's no guarentee he'll ever play again.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleEd View Post
Essex sucks and needs to go.

Max Starks should be resigned, but at RT and not LT. No way these handful of games warrants giving him starting LT money. It would be a big mistake.

You have good knowledge when it comes to the draft, but thank heavens you are not the GM, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Essex played really good against Suggs tonight.

Starks won't get starting LT money, but Between Tony Pashos money and Starting LT money.. Something like..

5.5-6M A year with a 12-14M Signing Bonus.

Starks showed more potential at LT. Starks has outplayed Marvel this year and with another solid offseason of training with Zierlein I think he'd be a heck of a Franchise LT. And he'd probably be the already ready version of Jeff Otah.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

Quote:
Starks showed more potential at LT. Starks has outplayed Marvel this year and with another solid offseason of training with Zierlein I think he'd be a heck of a Franchise LT. And he'd probably be the already ready version of Jeff Otah.
so then why draft Otah? If our coaches really think that Starks is the long terms answe at LT then I think we should draft Duke Robinson or any other good guard instead of Otah. (unless we take Otah and move Colon to guard)
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Essex played really good against Suggs tonight.

Starks won't get starting LT money, but Between Tony Pashos money and Starting LT money.. Something like..

5.5-6M A year with a 12-14M Signing Bonus.

The Steelers reached for Essex in Rd 3 because although he was inconsistent at Northwestern and definitely a project, they said he was off the charts athletically. He's now been in the NFL for 3 years, but when Smith went down did they call on this athletic lineman to take his place? No! Instead they started Starks who has always been considered a big, strong, mauling RT. They had more faith in a career RT whose strenght is run blocking to protect Ben's blindside than they did with the more athletic Essex who's been being groomed to play LT for nearly 3 seasons! That's not saying much about Essex regardless of whether he played well tonight against Suggs or not. However, I will retreat from my strong words about Essex earlier and say this instead: If the Steelers coaches feel he is worth keeping around, then so be it, but he better come cheap!!!!!

And, Mr. Stiller, I hope you know I was just busting your chops about the GM thing. The Steelers could use a forward thinker like yourself in some capacity, however you would need someone else more conservative working with you to keep you grounded!
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleEd View Post
The Steelers reached for Essex in Rd 3 because although he was inconsistent at Northwestern and definitely a project, they said he was off the charts athletically. He's now been in the NFL for 3 years, but when Smith went down did they call on this athletic lineman to take his place? No! Instead they started Starks who has always been considered a big, strong, mauling RT. They had more faith in a career RT whose strenght is run blocking to protect Ben's blindside than they did with the more athletic Essex who's been being groomed to play LT for nearly 3 seasons! That's not saying much about Essex regardless of whether he played well tonight against Suggs or not. However, I will retreat from my strong words about Essex earlier and say this instead: If the Steelers coaches feel he is worth keeping around, then so be it, but he better come cheap!!!!!

And, Mr. Stiller, I hope you know I was just busting your chops about the GM thing. The Steelers could use a forward thinker like yourself in some capacity, however you would need someone else more conservative working with you to keep you grounded!
As for GM, I agree, Frankly I just want to be more of a drafting guy. I don't exactly want to control the contracts, but I don't mind someone giving me the input.

As for the original part..

1) Starks is naturally left handed. From what he said prior to this season, "Grimm was more of a guy that said, whatever works for you do it, Coach Z is strict on technique and I've seen improvement".
Starks is improving, and I think with the 15 lbs he lost, his footwork everyday with Z, and the fact he's playing his natural stronger side will allow him to be more consistent. I think with even another offseason he will get a lot better.

2) As for Essex not getting the call, Starks showed to be the Most consistent LT and best run blocker. I'd say Essex is a solid pass blocker, but Starks has the potential to be the best LT we had in a while if he progresses.

3) Essex is a RFA, He'll be signed for one more season then he'll likely hit the FA market. Which is why I drafted the LT in 5th round after Essex is leaving.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
so then why draft Otah? If our coaches really think that Starks is the long terms answe at LT then I think we should draft Duke Robinson or any other good guard instead of Otah. (unless we take Otah and move Colon to guard)
I didn't draft Otah. The only reason we draft Otah or Chris Williams is because we don't get Starks.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:36 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like it...i didnt get to see the game, so can some one explain how the oline played. thankyou