Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 01-06-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I'm just so thrilled we finally won a playoff gamea again...

I thought Rivers stepped it up hugee in the second half after a very average first half...a good sign for the rest of the playoffs but we got a hell of a battle next week against Indy...
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rivers was money all game long on 3rd down. That's what QB's get paid to do.

Now that the playoff monkey is off of their backs, the Chargers can just rear back and play a loose game against a team that doesn't scare them, Indy. I'm feeling pretty good about their chances and they'll relish the "underdog" role.

Great game today. Great crowd, hardly any Titans fans. My buddies and I still found a way to mess with a few of them though. We shook up a few beers and offered them to our "guests", said cheers to a good game then, kaboom! Immature, I know.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was glad to see Vincent Jackson step up in the absence of Antonio Gates. The Chargers needed someone to help out Chris Chambers and they got it in Jackson.

Was anyone else pissed off at the weak throw by Rivers when Chambers was WIDE OPEN by about 10 yards? A little more effort on that throw and Chambers doesn't have to stop to catch it. Would have been an easy TD for Chambers
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

GAME REVIEW - RIVERS

This game was a breakthrough performance for rivers... he had a shaky first half.. but at the start of the second half to the end of the game rivers was tremendous.. He made throw after throw and single handedly led the chargers on scoring drives multiple times... It seemed VERY apparent that the titans had a choice to stop either LT or rivers, and chose LT. They routinely had 8 or 9 guys in the box and made it near impossible for LT to run the ball -- Michael Turner should have been used more, he was a better fit for the defense we were facing. RIvers was probably told at halftime about the titans putting alot of guys in the box and took it as a challenge. He read hte defense well and made the right throw. OFten times the first read was good enough and he didnt really have to do too much, but regardless he made the throws. Especially with gates out, with LT not performing well, and losing.. he lead the team to a win...

The stats dont really show it, but this I felt was rivers best game of the year.

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First, I would like to say that I hope Gates gets better soon and can play in the Indy game. That being said, I think him getting injured (hopefully not too seriously) and leaving the game, was the best thing that could happen to Philip Rivers.

Why? Because it forced Rivers to stop relying on Gates and LT so much. He was able to hit Chambers and Jackson (and even Manu) for huge gains. As a result, this game showed that he can win it for the team despite both of our top offensive guys (LT and Gates) being neutralized.

Oh and I would also like to add that he has done a better job of looking off his receivers and pump faking (one of the reasons the receivers were so wide open).
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
First, I would like to say that I hope Gates gets better soon and can play in the Indy game. That being said, I think him getting injured (hopefully not too seriously) and leaving the game, was the best thing that could happen to Philip Rivers.

Why? Because it forced Rivers to stop relying on Gates and LT so much. He was able to hit Chambers and Jackson (and even Manu) for huge gains. As a result, this game showed that he can win it for the team despite both of our top offensive guys (LT and Gates) being neutralized.

Oh and I would also like to add that he has done a better job of looking off his receivers and pump faking (one of the reasons the receivers were so wide open).

I thought the same thing. Having Gates out of the game forced Rivers to look elsewhere. Gates is his rock and not having him in there forced him to look outside and throw to what would normally be secondary options. Honestly when was the last time you saw 2 Chargers recievers oveer 100 yards? I can't even remember. It's just another thing that opposing defenses will have to think about now. Phillip spreading the ball around can be a beautiful thing.
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I don't think we're better without Gates...but I definitely know what you two are saying. I actually discussed it with my friend while watching the game, that by losing Gates it helped Rivers because he didn't give defenses the crutch of knowing where he would always be looking. Now if we can get Gates back, and Rivers can keep that new ability it will mean a lot, because when he focuses in on Gates is when he makes his mistakes...

Just hit the open guy.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

When we play the colts and they dont have 8 guys in the box and they dont let guys run past their corners, we're gonna hope we have a healthy gates playing. Rivers is at his best when he makes the throws down field to his guys (VJ 4 20+ catches) but those kind of throws will not be there against this defense. If gates has an injury that slows him to the point of ineffectiveness, id throw the chances of us winning the game right out the windwo.

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Great crowd, hardly any Titans fans. My buddies and I still found a way to mess with a few of them though. We shook up a few beers and offered them to our "guests", said cheers to a good game then, kaboom! Immature, I know.
But youre san diego. youre supposed to stay classy :)
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The reason the pump fakes worked is because Tennessee plays a fairly aggressive man defense. it won't have nearly the same effect on Indianapolis and their cover 2 zone.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
The reason the pump fakes worked is because Tennessee plays a fairly aggressive man defense. it won't have nearly the same effect on Indianapolis and their cover 2 zone.
how many times did rivers pump fake? i saw one that looked more like something he does before he throws rather than an actual pump fake...

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I don't think we're better without Gates...but I definitely know what you two are saying. I actually discussed it with my friend while watching the game, that by losing Gates it helped Rivers because he didn't give defenses the crutch of knowing where he would always be looking. Now if we can get Gates back, and Rivers can keep that new ability it will mean a lot, because when he focuses in on Gates is when he makes his mistakes...

Just hit the open guy.
agreed, rivers should just do the least challenging thing.. seeing as how he is an average talent an all

sig by bosanac01
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
The pump fakes and looking off receivers is just a Rivers comment in general due to the fact that those were some of his weaknesses earlier in the season. But thanks for the info about the Colts.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
The pump fakes and looking off receivers is just a Rivers comment in general due to the fact that those were some of his weaknesses earlier in the season. But thanks for the info about the Colts.
The only problem is that the two long passes (to Jackson and Chambers) were both completed on Cover 2 coverage schemes. With that said obviously the Colts Cover 2 is about a million times more scary than the Titans.

I think the game will be much closer than everyone is saying. Yeah the Colts are getting some weapons back but I would still trade Marvin Harrison on a questionable knee for Dwight Freeney any day of the week. I think we will blitz the hell out of Manning early and trust our corners and Safties to hole the recievers. Hopefully we can get enough pass rush to effect Peyton into hurried throws ans possible INT's. I think the fact that we were playing without players like Hardwick and Castillio for the regular season game is being severely understated. Hardwick is the captain of our line and Castillio gets such good pass rush for a 3-4 d-end its we-todd-did.

Last edited by KRS1 : 01-09-2008 at 04:16 PM.
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote