Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer26 View Post
OT has to be priority.

And right now, the two l ikely candidates look to be Sam Baker out of USC and Gosder Cherilus out of BC.

Baker, 6'5 310, is a natural LT. He would be a replacement for Marvel Smith.

Cherilus, 6'7 315, is more suited to be a RT and could start from Day 1 next year. The potential could be there to be the LT down the road.

IMO, our 1st round pick needs to be one of these guys.

Owen Schmitt is my favorite player in this draft, however, he will continue to rise up draft boards and will probably end up being out of our reach.

Keilan Dykes would be a solid 3-4 DE for the Steelers. Also, I really like what Jonny Dingle showed this season, and he will be entering the draft and would be a great Day 2 pick up as a backup 3-4 OLB and 3-4 DE.

I'm also keeping an eye on the two OTs from Rutgers, Pedro Sosa and Jeremy Zuttah.
Theres no way that Schmitt is out of our reach in the first round, i love the kid but unless we can get him with our fourth... MAYBE third pick then i'd pass on him.. he just doesn't fill any holes for us

As far as OT's go i am not a fan of gosder at all, he may be an above average run blocker in his prime but he has been whipped around in the ACC this year, especially against speed guys.. and if you can't be dominant in the ACC then you won't be in the NFL. I am not sold on Baker, i think he kid is a little soft.. guys I would only look at with our #1 pick right now would be Otah and Clady, but I doubt either of them will be there

Also, love dingle, i love the kids motor, his passion, not to mention his skill set... if he can be had with our 4th i wouldn't hesitate to grab him

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keep in mind, if we cant get Owen, we can still pick up Jehuu Caulcrick as an UDFA. I believe Caulcrick is faster then Schmit.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
Quick Mock

1: Adarius Bowman - WR - Oklahoma St - 6'4" - 220 - 4.50

2: Erin Henderson - ILB - Maryland - 6'3" - 242 - 4.58

3: Darrell Robertson - DE/OLB - Georgia Tech - 6'5" - 245 - 4.72

4: Barry Richardson - OT - Clemson - 6'7" - 338 - 5.25

5: Keilen Dykes - DE - West Virginia - 6'4" - 295 - 5.03

6: King Dunlap - OT - Auburn - 6'9" - 315 - 5.06

If you've got any questions about any picks, i'll be happy to answer. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks guys.
I like the draft, pretty sexy at top and fills holes / depth towards the bottom, I hope Erin will be there in the 2nd, i would cry tears of joy, but we'll see after the combine where I expect him to put up huge numbers.

Bowman is probably my second favorite receiver in the draft, next to Malcolm Kelly, and the only reason why i like Kelly more is because the dude is a beast for me in Madden.. hahah

All joking aside though I love Bowman I think he would be an excelelnt pick for us and would be a great steeler. Also, does anyone remember how much ben loved Plax... mainly because of his height? We don't have anything like that right now, and adding Bowman would be an awesome addition to our team.

Only thing I would like to see addressed would be a return man...

Darrius Reynaud I think would fit the bill quite nicely. A guy like him will be a special teams Daemon on all faucets of the game... Punt, Return, Kick, Kick Return...

I do not know much of Robertson, anything you can tell me Jakey?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Stiller and I were talking about this last night, he brought it up and I just have to agree...

Brandon Flowers, CB, VT = Beast.

Dude's about 5'11" 200lbs-ish, and is an animal, goto youtube and type in his name and watch some of his clips from LAST year, he is one of the most physical corners I have ever seen.

But, not only is he physical, he has the complete package, he can run with most of em, and his ball skills are above average.

My only knocks on him is that some of the hits that he makes (tackling up high) may not work in the NFL.

He is only a junior, but there are rumors that he will come out, and if he does it would be intriguing to see where he ends up on draft boards, and I think is a player the steelers need to seriously look at getting.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
Stiller and I were talking about this last night, he brought it up and I just have to agree...

Dude's about 5'11" 200lbs-ish, and is an animal, goto youtube and type in his name and watch some of his clips from LAST year, he is one of the most physical corners I have ever seen.

But, not only is he physical, he has the complete package, he can run with most of em, and his ball skills are above average.

My only knocks on him is that some of the hits that he makes (tackling up high) may not work in the NFL.

He is only a junior, but there are rumors that he will come out, and if he does it would be intriguing to see where he ends up on draft boards, and I think is a player the steelers need to seriously look at getting.

Oh trust me man, I have a crush on him too. I think his Facebook picture will make people not be high on his character, but I believe if hes there in the second, we better pick him. That is if he comes out this year. Would make me smile everytime I see Flowers and Smith jack someone up and talk **** to them. I can see it now.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Oh trust me man, I have a crush on him too. I think his Facebook picture will make people not be high on his character, but I believe if hes there in the second, we better pick him. That is if he comes out this year. Would make me smile everytime I see Flowers and Smith jack someone up and talk **** to them. I can see it now.
yeah his facebook picture was stupid but i mean... the steelers are pretty darn good at evaluating character, and after talking with flowers if they feel like he will be a good citizen and teammate for them and stay out of trouble then i back their decision 100%

i am excited to watch his play tonight

Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

steelersfan27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

what do you guys think of Nick Hayden? He reminds me of Aaron Smith.
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Palmer26
Rookie

Palmer26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Theres no way that Schmitt is out of our reach in the first round, i love the kid but unless we can get him with our fourth... MAYBE third pick then i'd pass on him.. he just doesn't fill any holes for us

As far as OT's go i am not a fan of gosder at all, he may be an above average run blocker in his prime but he has been whipped around in the ACC this year, especially against speed guys.. and if you can't be dominant in the ACC then you won't be in the NFL. I am not sold on Baker, i think he kid is a little soft.. guys I would only look at with our #1 pick right now would be Otah and Clady, but I doubt either of them will be there

Also, love dingle, i love the kids motor, his passion, not to mention his skill set... if he can be had with our 4th i wouldn't hesitate to grab him
Yeah, I was referring to Schmitt still being around in the 2nd or 3rd.

I disagree about Cherilus. He didn't look too great this year because he was at LT all year for the first time in his career. Before that, I thought he was a dominant RT for BC.

As for Baker, other than Clady I don't know if there is a better pure LT prospect. He is a bigtime pass protector and would be a franchise LT to protect Ben's blindside.
Palmer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer26 View Post
Yeah, I was referring to Schmitt still being around in the 2nd or 3rd.

I disagree about Cherilus. He didn't look too great this year because he was at LT all year for the first time in his career. Before that, I thought he was a dominant RT for BC.

As for Baker, other than Clady I don't know if there is a better pure LT prospect. He is a bigtime pass protector and would be a franchise LT to protect Ben's blindside.
I really want to see more of Baker, i think with Clady entering we could have a shot of either of the two in the first quite possibly

Old 01-03-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I dont think we need all that much on the oline front. We have the pieces, they just need to play in the right spots. I believe they will move Colon to RG, with Starks at LT. Simmons could play a good LG, and if he shows something, Essex can play RT. Mahan sucks as a starter, so put him on the bench. We have Stapleton as our backup center. We have Kemo as a backup at both guards. We have Capizzi and Parquet as backup tackles. Smith will be back next year maybe. I really think we need a guard/tackle tweener. John Greco comes to mind in the third round. We can get an UDFA for center. All we need is depth, other then that, my main focus is toughening up our defense by getting replacements for Farrior, Aaron Smith, Keisel, and Deshea. Plus getting a Hines replacement.

I see us cutting Reid, Wilson, and maybe Marvel Smith. I would like to sign Flozell Adams, Bryant Johnson or Ian Scott. Damien Woody would be a good option as well as oline depth.

Washington has grown on me the past couple of weeks and I think if he works on his hands in the offseason, he can be a great slot reciever for us. Wilson, while he does make plays for us, is too expensive for a fourth/fifth reciever, so he is cut.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I dont think we need all that much on the oline front. We have the pieces, they just need to play in the right spots. I believe they will move Colon to RG, with Starks at LT. Simmons could play a good LG, and if he shows something, Essex can play RT. Mahan sucks as a starter, so put him on the bench. We have Stapleton as our backup center. We have Kemo as a backup at both guards. We have Capizzi and Parquet as backup tackles. Smith will be back next year maybe. I really think we need a guard/tackle tweener. John Greco comes to mind in the third round. We can get an UDFA for center. All we need is depth, other then that, my main focus is toughening up our defense by getting replacements for Farrior, Aaron Smith, Keisel, and Deshea. Plus getting a Hines replacement.

I see us cutting Reid, Wilson, and maybe Marvel Smith. I would like to sign Flozell Adams, Bryant Johnson or Ian Scott. Damien Woody would be a good option as well as oline depth.

Washington has grown on me the past couple of weeks and I think if he works on his hands in the offseason, he can be a great slot reciever for us. Wilson, while he does make plays for us, is too expensive for a fourth/fifth reciever, so he is cut.
your only problem with that line is yoou have no starting center i believe :)

move Simmons to C, and put kemo at LG then the rest of the lineup seems decent enough

Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
your only problem with that line is yoou have no starting center i believe :)

move Simmons to C, and put kemo at LG then the rest of the lineup seems decent enough
Thats what I was going to do really. It would be ideal. We have depth at the tackles, and guard spots too. We just need to sign a mid level free agent for the oline.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i am trying to decide on players for a mock....if i list guys and i have a few will you guys tell me what you think? i will list 4 or 5 at a time by position.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
steel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Yeah sure, go right ahead.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steel man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why i want your opinion is because every time , it seems, that i like someone or pick them in a certain round you guys tell me there is no way he will be there or i am picking him to high. last year it drove me nuts trying to get a complete mock. i know these are just opinion and what you think but you guys study this more and have inside hook ups that i dont and i dont have time(with 3 girls and working 50+ hours a week) to look stuff up that why i go months at a time with out being on here.

so here is to your endless knowledge. I SALUTE YOU!!!!!

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible
Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah sure, go right ahead.
Thanks

Let's go position by position:

QB: do we need a better back up than Batch, he looked awful last week and i know that is just one game but he is older. having said that what do you guys think about

Sam Keller- NEB
Brandon Cox- AUB
Joe Flacco- Delaware

Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 PM    (permalink
steel man
DC GFX Team
Veteran

or would it be better to pick someone up in FA or UDFA because if Ben keeps getting sacked like he did this year he is going to miss games here and there and one game could cost us a playoff spot

Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I think we could use a backup to push BSP off the roster. Flacco will be a first day player, and I think we will go UDFA with this one.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

what day is the cutoff to register for the draft. Is it January 16th?
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:24 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
what day is the cutoff to register for the draft. Is it January 16th?
i thnk around there, possibly the 19th

as far as qb's go do we still have randall on our P.S.?

the kid can throw the ball a hundred miles an hour

Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

Quote:
i thnk around there, possibly the 19th

as far as qb's go do we still have randall on our P.S.?

the kid can throw the ball a hundred miles an hour
Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
p.s. i just spent a solid 4 minutes staring at jakey's sig
So did you smoke a cigarette at the end of that four minutes or simply roll over and go to sleep?

It is a great sig!
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Eddie Royal is the next Devin Hester or Josh Cribbs. He is that damn explosive returning kicks.

OH and btw, Randall isnt on our practice squad.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

I would love either Brandon Flowers or Dre Moore to be available for us in Rd 2. I do like Heyden a couple rounds later, but prefer Dre Moore.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I saw Hayden play against the Vols. The kid was in the backfield every play.

Flowers is hitting like a truck tonight, and LT Duane Brown is impressing me with his pass blocking.