Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Ripping music to your computer illegal?

The Recording industry now wants to make sure that you don't even download a CD to your own computer regardless if you aren't planning to share it?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/sho...sic.chetry.cnn

Sorry if all ready posted.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

that's stupid...they will be hurting themselves...because if you download from itunes it's already on your computer...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How in the hell could this be enforced?

Or are they counting on the honor system . . .
Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

coooooooool. so, i don't download music basically because i don't know how. BUT, i do have an Mp3 player. so the only way i get music on my player is to rip a cd to my puter and then put it on the player...but i'm not supposed to do that anymore? so, should i just wipe my ass with my Mp3 player and donate it to somebody that actually does steal music online?
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
coooooooool. so, i don't download music basically because i don't know how. BUT, i do have an Mp3 player. so the only way i get music on my player is to rip a cd to my puter and then put it on the player...but i'm not supposed to do that anymore? so, should i just wipe my ass with my Mp3 player and donate it to somebody that actually does steal music online?
Sounds like a mighty good plan.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post

You say that as if the honor system wouldn't be an effective method here.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is crap I don't download or share music but I do rip my CD's to my PC for my own use I don't see any thing wrong with it if you paid for the CD's.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

the music industry is ran by retards. music should be free anyways....
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will admit that I download music for free. You can't really call it stealing, because it doesn't deprive the artist of anything. I support the artists by going to as many concerts as I can, and I will buy cds and t shirts from those concerts. The artists make almost no money when you buy a cd. It is ridiculous. The people who should be making the money actually make very little off of what I pay for.

Support artists by buying directly through them and going to concerts. **** the RIAA
Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post

they can make it so you can't download the cd onto a comp.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
anyone who still buys CDs from RIAA artists is an idiot. i don't necessarily advocate anything that RIAA has paid congress to call "illegal", but if you're still paying them $18 for 9 songs of crap and 1 song they pay DJs to endlessly play on the radio for a week, you need to seriously reconsider your interest in music/general economic sense.

then again, you could just listen to the independant labels and none of this would be an issue.
says you...if everyone did things independently there would be no record...anyways, I'm sure your a fan of the independent movies as well...independent labels can't afford to make the music like the huge record companies...thus the reason why people still buy the big record label cd's...they want quality (as in sound) music...that basement crap only sounds good for so long...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
they can make it so you can't download the cd onto a comp.
And within a week it would be cracked. The internet is an incredibly powerful tool. Major media corporations don't have much time, unless they embrace the internet and use it to their advantage, rather than trying to shut it down.

The older people in charge of the media don't realize the true power of the internet. Hell our generation takes the power of the internet for granted. You have to talk to the late 20's early 30 year olds. The people who didn't grow up with the internet. They will tell you how much it has changed our world already. We are only scratching the surface of what it will do.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Horray Limewire!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I will admit that I download music for free. You can't really call it stealing, because it doesn't deprive the artist of anything. I support the artists by going to as many concerts as I can, and I will buy cds and t shirts from those concerts. The artists make almost no money when you buy a cd. It is ridiculous. The people who should be making the money actually make very little off of what I pay for.

Support artists by buying directly through them and going to concerts. **** the RIAA
Downloading music for free is absolutely stealing. Even if you aren't taking much away from the artist, you're still getting something that you would typically pay for. It does all end up going back to the artist anyway, because if the record companies start making less money, they start paying the artists less money.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Downloading music for free is absolutely stealing. Even if you aren't taking much away from the artist, you're still getting something that you would typically pay for. It does all end up going back to the artist anyway, because if the record companies start making less money, they start paying the artists less money.
what does it matter...downloading music will continue to happen whether the major corporations want it to or not...
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
anyone who still buys CDs from RIAA artists is an idiot. i don't necessarily advocate anything that RIAA has paid congress to call "illegal", but if you're still paying them $18 for 9 songs of crap and 1 song they pay DJs to endlessly play on the radio for a week, you need to seriously reconsider your interest in music/general economic sense.

then again, you could just listen to the independant labels and none of this would be an issue.
I see your point, but there is a lot of music that I want to own on CD. For my favorite bands I get some feeling of pride when I own their music especially if I own all of the CD's. But yeah, for everything else I just download it legally (and freely) off of the internet site that my college has a deal with. Then since it is copyrighted so that it can't be put on CD's or MP3's I just use a program on my computer that rerecords the tracks and then it's free to go wherever. Its a legal process, technically... :)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post

QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Horray Limewire!
Limewire :-/

You should upgrade to torrents.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
like someone398572340 said, buy it from the artists directly. i don't have a problem with people supporting radio bands necessarily, but it's never made sense to me why people go to, say, virgin records and pay exorbitant prices that don't support the group anyways. i'll admit that i listen to a few bands on the RIAA labels (and own their albums), but you won't ever catch me in best buy getting their CD.
Eh, I honestly don't own that many(20 CD's at the max) and a lot of the bands that I do buy are ones that do their best to keep their music off of any downloading site (like Tool) so I have to physically buy the CD to get it legally. Like you say I could buy directly from the artists but I haven't had many opportunities for that kind of stuff so I just surrender a few more bucks and go to a store. Even if that money doesn't necessarily support the group. (there, I think I'm good, correct me if my understanding is wrong on anything in here, I haven't paid too much attention to this stuff in the past)
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagHombre22 View Post
what does it matter...downloading music will continue to happen whether the major corporations want it to or not...
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it will ever stop. I'm just saying that having the mindset that it isn't actually stealing is totally wrong.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it will ever stop. I'm just saying that having the mindset that it isn't actually stealing is totally wrong.
I agree you are getting some thing that by law you should have to pay for how is that not stealing?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dl music and dont even think much of it, only time i buy cds is when i need some blank ones to burn

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i listen more to free mix tapes than commercial music. When i go to school in the morning i listen to mike and mike in the morning. This does still effect me though, because if you can't rip a CD, how are you going to put music on a website? Better yet, how is someone going to make a music video? You have to get the music from somewhere, and music sharing is illegal according to these guys.

flaws. sorry for the incoherent babbling, but i make a point. somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
I agree you are getting some thing that by law you should have to pay for how is that not stealing?
It is copyright infringement, not stealing. Stealing requires that the rightful owner be deprived of what was stolen. The artist wasn't deprived of something that wasn't his. Is it a matter of semantics? Yes. But there is a reason no one has ever been prosecuted for it as theft.

Even though it isn't stealing, it is still illegal any way you slice it. But there are lots of laws that I don't follow. I support all artists that I like. I just don't support them by giving my money to big media conglomerates of which the artists get pennies.

When more artists start realizing they don't need to go through the record companies and start to release music by themselves through their website, I will stop downloading music.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Musicians should follow the same route Radiohead took with In Rainbows. Sell directly to the people for a price they choose. Not gonna happen though.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804 View Post
Musicians should follow the same route Radiohead took with In Rainbows. Sell directly to the people for a price they choose. Not gonna happen though.
If every musician around the world was as rich as Radiohead i'm sure they'd love to. Too bad the ability to write a song doesn't naturally translate to being a multimillionaire
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote