Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagHombre22 View Post
the 1980's could go down as the greatest...Ronald Regan was president, arguably one of the best we've ever had...cold war ended...trade prospered around the world...Rock and Roll was at it's greatest...Atari ruled the world...and the Lakers were the greatest team on the planet...in the history of the planet...
I would agree. +rep

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as I'm concerned the 1900's, 1950's, and 1970's were all the best for various reasons.

My least favorite decades are the 1920's, 1930's, and 1990's.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
As far as I'm concerned the 1900's, 1950's, and 1970's were all the best for various reasons.

My least favorite decades are the 1920's, 1930's, and 1990's.
The 20's were unarguably the most prosperous years in American History.

The 30's were unarguably the worst. Great Depression, Start of WWII, The "New Deal".

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
The 20's were unarguably the most prosperous years in American History.

The 30's were unarguably the worst. Great Depression, Start of WWII, The "New Deal".
Actually the 20s being the most prosperous is VERY arguable. The 90s saw the longest stretch of economic development, the 50s was the start of the movement from an industrial society to more of a technical/services based society. And, as you said, in American history, you're discounting the 1870s-1890s which saw American surpass Great Britain and Germany as the major industrialized power in the world.

And you cite the New Deal as a negative...why?
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Not sure how one could really consider the 70's the best. There was so much wrong with the 70's with the Watergate Scandal, the aftermath of the Vietnam War, the Oil Crisis, severe economic issues, the beginning of the Iran hostage situation, the Cold War was still very prominent, etc. Entertainment may have hit a peak in the 1970's though if that's what you mean.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best.
1. 90's. I'm biased.
2. 60's. Two words: free love. :D
3. 20's. They don't call it "the roarin' 20's for nothing.

Worst
1. 30's. They don't call it "the great depression" for nothing.
2. 40's. No, Hitler wasn't the only person alive, but they didn't call it "World War II" for nothing.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Gatz
Rookie

Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.

40's,10's,30's were all pretty bad. World War II, Holocaust, Stalin purging people, Great Depression, World War One (which affected Europe much more than it did America). there was a great boom in the 20's in america, but the other nations were still recovering, guess it wouldn't be the worst. in the later part of the century,50's, 60's were alright(despite the hippies), later part of the 80's was good too. although there was a long period of cold war. Although imo society/culture gets crappier every single decade, so depends on what you view as best or worst.
In the decades that people didn't suffer, they pretty much got dumber, meh.
Gatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i don't think that everyone realizes that nazi aggression started in the mid 30s... shame. the 40's are combined with 'ww2' only because that's when the americans got into it...

i still think the 40's were the best decade. the science and research on it was second to none...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a bit surprised that more people don't think that the 10s weren't the or among worst. Like I said earlier, it could be argued that it helped LEAD to the bad 40s, while being very bad in of itself.

I didn't do best decades...hmm. 50s, 80s, and 90s come to mind. 20s were good, but the economic success was based off of poor money management that blew up in everyone's face at the end of the decade.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
i don't think that everyone realizes that nazi aggression started in the mid 30s... shame. the 40's are combined with 'ww2' only because that's when the americans got into it...
Psst, don't look now, but most have the 30's as the worst.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Gatz
Rookie

Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.Gatz is a cocksman.

It's arbitrary really. The Nazi aggression and rise of hitler started in the 30s but wwII and the killing took place mostly in 40's, plus with the Atomic bomb and then the arms race starting around that period, I can't see how it can be considered as the best.

Another thing, right before WWI, with advancement in science peoploe were optimistic that the development will continue and the world could become a place of pardise, so an argument can be made for the 1900's.
Gatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a historian I like the thought behind this thread, but cut out the politically motivated jargon.

And if I have to hear that Ronald Reagan was one of our greatest presidents again in my life I'm going to puke.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My own opinion (and I agree that it's pretty arbitrary) is:

Best: 1920's and 1990's (although Rwanda was pretty terrible).

Worst: 1910's (Unseen is correct, World War I was the dumbest war ever), 1930's, 40's, 60's, 70's.

The 20th century was arguably the worst century in recorded history, at least in terms of violence and genocide.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 1980s were and it was just the icing on the cake on Saturday, May 6th, 1989 when Yoda was born. Plus, I wasn't around for any of the decades before, so I will not discuss them cuz I'd have no clue what I would be talking about.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
As a historian I like the thought behind this thread, but cut out the politically motivated jargon.

And if I have to hear that Ronald Reagan was one of our greatest presidents again in my life I'm going to puke.
Was your blatant contradiction on purpose?
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good
70's, 80's, 90's

Bad
10's, 30's

Maybe its because I miss AC/DC and Van Halen is why I love the 70's and 80's, Wish i was born in that time

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Good:00's,40's,50's,80's
Bad:10s,20s,30's,90's
Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In what way were the 20's or 90's Bad? Compared with the other decades in this century they were the best, while the recession in the 80's and that little thing called WWII could be considered bad.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
In what way were the 20's or 90's Bad? Compared with the other decades in this century they were the best, while the recession in the 80's and that little thing called WWII could be considered bad.
So the 80's is bad because of its recession, yet the 20s is one of the best?

EDIT: I was thinking the crash was in 27, not 29. Oops.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
Was your blatant contradiction on purpose?
Yes and no.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:07 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Yes and no.
Well aren't you hilarious.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Good:00's,40's,50's,80's
Bad:10s,20s,30's,90's
the 1900s basically lead to WWI with the surge in imperialization and such. it was better than 1910-1930, but without the mistakes made in 1900 who knows if 1910-1930 would have been different.
the 90s had a surge of innovation so i dont know why its bad. We made huge progress in the 90s in the way we live today, and most likely how we will live in the future. The Economy was on the way up in America and there were less wars worldwide then a lot of the decades, and the ones in the 90s werent as big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heart the 80s.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
the 1900s basically lead to WWI with the surge in imperialization and such. it was better than 1910-1930, but without the mistakes made in 1900 who knows if 1910-1930 would have been different.
Im going on US economics and hisory for the most part mainly because I know more about it.But Imperialism had gone on well before 1900.Tensions between counrties like Germany,Britian,and France had been going on since the Franco-Prussian.Which was about 30 years before the 1900's.Alliances had already been made before 1900.In America during which Teddy was president everything was moving forward and doing well.
In the 1910's however everything went downhill for both America and the world.The Federal Reserve System was established which isnt federal.Its a central bank that prints out money like crazy.Ever since it was made the purchasing power of the dollar has gone down 90%.WWI happened and like bf51 said its the dumbest war ever.America entered WWI so that bankers like the Rockefellers and the Morgans could make money off the loans to Britian and France.If Britian and France lost to Germany then they wouldnt had been able to pay off their loans.If America hadnt entered WWI Germany would have won Hitler would have never taken power.Another thing is that the founding fathers of the USA thought that America shouldnt get involved in European affairs and thats what we did and look whats happened since.
Quote:
the 90s had a surge of innovation so i dont know why its bad. We made huge progress in the 90s in the way we live today, and most likely how we will live in the future. The Economy was on the way up in America and there were less wars worldwide then a lot of the decades, and the ones in the 90s werent as big.
We did alot of stupid things internationally during this time.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Another thing is that the founding fathers of the USA thought that America shouldnt get involved in European affairs and thats what we did and look whats happened since.
Really? The Founding Fathers were pretty cautious in getting involved in European affairs because they knew a fledgling nation like themselves would get bulled over if they got in their business.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote: