Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 AM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 351
Reputation: 217
TheWood56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Steelers o-line next season....

http://pit.scout.com/2/717046.html

This is going off of an article I read (above), which means we make an effort to re-sign Faneca and Starks and we succeed in doing so. So here we go, my hopeful Steelers o-line for next season:

LT: Max Starks
LG: Kendall Simmons
C: Alan Faneca
RG: Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Willie Colon

What do you think?

Starks has played well at LT in limited action and this may be his true position considering he was a LT in college and he is left handed. Also, with Smith and his back problems now, you don't know if he's going to be able to return 100% and he only has 1 year left on his contract here anyways.

Shifting Simmons to LG may improve his play as a whole. With Simmons being more athletic and being good on the move and pulling, this may ultimately be his true position considering the LG in our scheme has to pull occassionally and generally has to be the more athletic guard of the two.

With Faneca at C, there's a very good chance this move may very well improve our o-line play as a whole. I made this move keeping in mind what Zierlein said, that being he thinks Faneca's very smart and that he could see Faneca ending his career as a C in this league. I personally think he could make for a great C and could improve our o-line play as a whole. IMO, this would be a very good thing for our o-line.

Kemoeatu finally finds himself in the starting lineup. He's a big road grader that will pave the way for the running game on the right side of the line. With some fine tuning and some starting experience, he could be a force to be reckoned with at RG. Also, IMO, he's a better fit on the right side then he is on the left, which is why he's the RG and Simmons the LG.

Colon has shown a fair bit of potential at RT. People say he's better suited inside at guard, and though that may possibly be true, he's shown he can handle the RT position and with this only being his 1st season starting, he still has a heap of time to grow and improve as a player. I think making him make the transition inside to guard would only prolong his development, so keeping him at RT where he has shown potential to be a really good player is the best thing to do IMO, and I think with Colon entering his 2nd he's only going to get better and improve. I think he could potentially be a great RT in this league.

With our o-line being in place for the next few years, we will have much more flexibility come draft time, which is a very good thing.
TheWood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Moderator
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,423
Reputation: 102758
toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Has Faneca shown any indication on a willingness to resign? Obviously, if you can bring him back, sure. Somehow, my gut feeling is that Tomlin would probably prefer not to spend so much on an older OL guy. I also have a tough time seeing you cut the cord with Marvel. It's possible I guess. I just tend to think the higher probability lies in drafting an OL guy to eventually take his spot (and if you fail to resign Starks and Faneca, then said OT draft pick starts at RT and Colon slides into guard).
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Has Faneca shown any indication on a willingness to resign? Obviously, if you can bring him back, sure. Somehow, my gut feeling is that Tomlin would probably prefer not to spend so much on an older OL guy. I also have a tough time seeing you cut the cord with Marvel. It's possible I guess. I just tend to think the higher probability lies in drafting an OL guy to eventually take his spot (and if you fail to resign Starks and Faneca, then said OT draft pick starts at RT and Colon slides into guard).
Marvel has had to have Back surgery Toon, we're not even sure he'll play again.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 111
Reputation: 35
steelersfan27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56 View Post
http://pit.scout.com/2/717046.html

This is going off of an article I read (above), which means we make an effort to re-sign Faneca and Starks and we succeed in doing so. So here we go, my hopeful Steelers o-line for next season:

LT: Max Starks
LG: Kendall Simmons
C: Alan Faneca
RG: Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Willie Colon

What do you think?

Starks has played well at LT in limited action and this may be his true position considering he was a LT in college and he is left handed. Also, with Smith and his back problems now, you don't know if he's going to be able to return 100% and he only has 1 year left on his contract here anyways.

Shifting Simmons to LG may improve his play as a whole. With Simmons being more athletic and being good on the move and pulling, this may ultimately be his true position considering the LG in our scheme has to pull occassionally and generally has to be the more athletic guard of the two.

With Faneca at C, there's a very good chance this move may very well improve our o-line play as a whole. I made this move keeping in mind what Zierlein said, that being he thinks Faneca's very smart and that he could see Faneca ending his career as a C in this league. I personally think he could make for a great C and could improve our o-line play as a whole. IMO, this would be a very good thing for our o-line.

Kemoeatu finally finds himself in the starting lineup. He's a big road grader that will pave the way for the running game on the right side of the line. With some fine tuning and some starting experience, he could be a force to be reckoned with at RG. Also, IMO, he's a better fit on the right side then he is on the left, which is why he's the RG and Simmons the LG.

Colon has shown a fair bit of potential at RT. People say he's better suited inside at guard, and though that may possibly be true, he's shown he can handle the RT position and with this only being his 1st season starting, he still has a heap of time to grow and improve as a player. I think making him make the transition inside to guard would only prolong his development, so keeping him at RT where he has shown potential to be a really good player is the best thing to do IMO, and I think with Colon entering his 2nd he's only going to get better and improve. I think he could potentially be a great RT in this league.

With our o-line being in place for the next few years, we will have much more flexibility come draft time, which is a very good thing.

then what do we do with mahan? cut him? hes being payed sarter money. if we cut him it would free up some cap room.
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Palmer26
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
Reputation: 7
Palmer26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

I have my doubts about that article.

First and foremost, I doubt Faneca re-signs. With the cap going up, some team will throw some serious money his way. If he were to somehow sign the withe Steelers, it won't be to play C.

Starks is another guy that I doubt comes back. The thought of him being the starting LT is also a scary one.

I just don't see this scenario playing out at all.
Palmer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
then what do we do with mahan? cut him? hes being payed sarter money. if we cut him it would free up some cap room.
He's really not.. 5 yr 3.5M/yr is backup money. Especially for a versatile 3 position backup like Mahan.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:51 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canton, MD
Posts: 4,119
Reputation: 19156
mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer26 View Post
I have my doubts about that article.

First and foremost, I doubt Faneca re-signs. With the cap going up, some team will throw some serious money his way. If he were to somehow sign the withe Steelers, it won't be to play C.

Starks is another guy that I doubt comes back. The thought of him being the starting LT is also a scary one.

I just don't see this scenario playing out at all.
starks did a very solid job filling in for smith when smith was out

but i agree about faneca
__________________

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 111
Reputation: 35
steelersfan27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
He's really not.. 5 yr 3.5M/yr is backup money. Especially for a versatile 3 position backup like Mahan.

backups are being paid 3.5/yr? i need to getup to speed with things.
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,342
Reputation: 7355
skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The times, they are a changin....

I would love to see Faneca back and could easily wave the long goodbye to Smith and bring Starks back. I hope Starks can continue his recent play as a starter and isnt just benefiting from his time on the bench. I like that Oline though, could be very solid.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
backups are being paid 3.5/yr? i need to getup to speed with things.
Yeah.

Starters are getting 7/7per.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.