Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

steelersfan27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Steelerfan27's writeup/analysis offseason

now that the season is over we need to take a glance at what we have, then go from there:

QB-Ben has been spectacular this year and will continue to develop each year. Batch is a servicable backup, but is getting up there in age and a new backup QB might be a need in a couple of years

RB- Not much of a need for running back. Willie was great behind a suspect o-line. Najeh is a good backup and change of pace/ short yardage back. Some people might disagree with this but Najeh gets the job done on short yardage. Gary Russell has potential and can take some heat off of Willie.

FB- Kreider is likely done. Carey Davis is doing fine and FB is not a huge need at the moment.

TE- Miller is good and is underutilized. He will be even more involved next year. We have good depth with Spaeth. Tuman will not be around much longer. So that leaves a third tight end spot on the roster. I think Jon Dekker can fill tat spot.

OT- Smith has back problems and is getting up there in age, but is still a descent left tackle. I think he comes back for his final year next season. I think Starks has looked very good in his limited action. If we draft a tackle, we could slide Colon to guard (which is where he belongs). Trai Essex proved that he deserves a roster spot.

OG- Faneca is as good as gone. (at least he should be) He hasnt shown that he deserves the kind of money he wants this year. Simmons isn’t playing well either. Kemoeatu deserves a shot at a starting position.

C- Mahan get pushed around by more physical D-tackles. His poor play is definitely affecting those around him. I think center is the #1 position that needs to be addressed, but this center class isnt very deep. Stapleton is a very promising backup.

DEFENSE;

DE- Aaron Smith is more valuable to us than we thought before his injury. He is aging. We need to start grooming a replacement for him. keisel is descent but gets the job done. Kirschke is old, Eason is garbage, and we dont know what we have with McBean. Depth is needed.

NT- Big Casey is had a down year but is still one of the best in the league. Chris Hoke is a capable backup.

ROLB- James Harrison came ot and suprised us this year. Hes a good passrusher and a god runstopper. Lawrence Timmons will play ILB next year. Andre Frazier is a descent backup, but we could use a more solid backup (someone who could give Harrison a breather.)

LILB- Farrior is getting older but still seems to be solid. We will need a replacement for him but we have more pressing needs this year. Kriedwaldt is a good special teamer, but is getting older.

RILB- Foote is not a solid tackler, and is not a force in stopping the run game. Timmons will replace him next year and will be an immediate upgrade.

LOLB- Haggans didnt do much of anything this year. We will let him walk. LaMarr Woodley looks to be a dominant pass rusher and will aso be an immediate upgrade. Arnold Harrison is a so-so backup but can fill in when necessary.

CB- Ike Taylor had a phenomonal year and is a really good corner. (if only he had hands). Deshea is average and is getting old. Bmac needs to step it up and earn a starting role, even though i dont think he will. *** is good depth.

SS- Troy had a down year and when healthy he is a force to be reckoned with. Tyrone cant make an open field tackle and isnt very young, but is a good backup and played well when he had to fill in for Troy.

FS- I have heard that Ryan Clark will be healthy for next season. I also think that Anthony Smith will be very good despite what happened toward the end of this past season.

2008 STEELERS FREE AGENTS

Brian St. Pierre, QB (unrestricted)-gone
Dan Kreider, FB (unrestricted)-gone
Alan Faneca, OT (unrestricted)-gone
Max Starks, OT (unrestricted)-resigned
Nick Eason, DT (unrestricted)-gone
Clark Haggans, LB (unrestricted)-gone
Chris Kemoeatu, OG (restricted)-resigned
Trai Essex, OT (restricted)-resigned
Travis Kirschke , DT (unrestricted)-gone
Nate Washington, WR (restricted)-resigned
Greg Warren, LS (restricted)-resigned

SIGNED

Bryant Johnson, WR
Kevin Bentley, LB

DRAFT

We trade our 1st round pick for the Falcons' 2 2nds.

Round 2a- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt. 6-6 315lbs 5.25/40
Williams will be our left tackle for years to come after sitting behind Marvel Smith for a year. Hes is an outstanding pass blocker and is great against speed and power rushers. Playing in the SEC, he is battle tested. He needs to put on some bulk and can become a force in the run game too.

Round 2b- Dre Moore, DE, Maryland. 6-4 306lbs 5.04/40
Moore has all the ability to play 3-4 DE and can start over Keisel. He has a great wingspan and broad shoulders. He is a very good athlete. He can dominate the line wih his size and strength. He is an amazing run stopper and can draw double-teams.

Round 2c- Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech. 5-10 195lbs 4.45/40
Flowers is a very physical corner and has excellent coverage skills. I think weighing sub-200lbs and his "character issues" drop him this far. I dont think theres a chance we pass on him here. He also has good hands very good hands. He will sit a year behind Deshea and start in '09.

Round 3- Cody Wallace, C, Texas A&M. 6-4 298lbs 5.28/40
Wallace is a beast. Hes incredibly strong and punishes defenders. He has the strength and ability to be a great center in this league. He could come in and start over Mahan immediately. He can handle the big DT's that Mahan couldnt. He would be a big improvement over mahan.

Round 4- Eddie Royal, WR/RS, Virginia Tech. 5-10 184lbs 4.39/40
Royal will be a monster in the return game. Punt and kick returner needs are solved. He would challenge Nate Washington for the number 4 reciever spot, but would probably be the #5 reciever. Could develop into the #4 reciever.

Round 5- Jeremy Leman, ILB, Illinois. 6-1 241lbs 4.79/40
Leman is a solid tackler and would be good depth at ILB. He plays with a lot of heart and is true football player. He would be a backup but could possibly start in a couple of years. He would be a beast on special teams.

Round 6- Dominique Barber, FS, Minnesota. 6-0 210lbs 4.55/40
barber is a good safety and provides depth, but the primary reason we draft him is special teams. He would be a great coverage guy, and we all know how important the is.

QB- Ben Roethlisberger/ Charlie Batch
RB- Willie Parker/ Najeh Davenport/ Gary Russell
FB- Carey Davis
WR- Hines Ward/ Bryant Johnson/ Eddie Royal*
WR- Santonio Holmes/ Nate Washington
TE- Heath Miller/ Matt Spaeth/ Jon Dekker
LT- Marvel Smith/ Chris Williams*
LG- Kendall Simmons/ Chris Kemoeatu
C- Cody Wallace*/ Darnell Stapleton
RG- Willie Colon/ Chris Kemoeatu
RT- Max Starks/ Trai Essex

RDE- Dre Moore*/ Brett Keisel
NT- Casey Hampton/ Chris Hoke
LDE- Aaron Smith/ Brett Keisel
ROLB- James Harrison/ Kevin Bentley
RILB- Lawrence Timmons/ Larry Foote
LILB- James Farrior/ Jeremy Leman
LOLB- LaMarr Woodley/ Arnold Harrison
LCB- Ike Taylor/ Brandon Flowers*(nickel)/ William ***
SS- Troy Polamalu/ Tyrone Carter
FS- Ryan Clark/ Anthony Smith/ Dominique Barber*
RCB- Deshea Townsend/ Bryant McFadden(dime)

K- Jeff Reed
P- Daniel Sepulveda
PR- Eddie Royal*
KR- Eddie Royal*

*rookie

Last edited by steelersfan27 : 01-14-2008 at 06:49 PM.
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You have some tremendous selections. You and I like alot of the same prospects for the Steelers. Your first 3 picks are nearly perfect (although if we wanted to be absolutely sure we get Dre Moore, then we could conceivably take him first and OT Anthony Collins at 2B).

I would love to see that trade happen, but I think Atlanta would have to be willing to overpay (though I haven't checked out the draft position points to verify).

Again, I whole-heartedly agree with the Dre Moore selection. Since the Steelers let two back up DE's leave via free agency in your mock offseason, I'd say the Steelers were very lucky to land him. I think you left an already thin D-Line very exposed leading up to the draft by not bringing in a replacement D-Lineman via free agency.

Cody Wallace isn't a prospect I've paid too much attention to, although I have read some positive things about him. But if Alex Mack stayed in school because the NFL advisory board suggested he would be a 4th rounder, then I don't see Wallace going any higher so I think you pulled the trigger a round too soon on him. That third rounder would be nicely used on a RB like Kevin Smith or James Davis, one of whom could still be available since this RB class is so deep.

Why does everyone think J Lehman will last so long? I could be wrong, but I see him as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Let me offer this draft scenario using that very same Atlanta trade:

2a) Dre Moore, DL
2b) Anthony Collins, OT
2c) Brandon Flowers, CB or Tracy Porter, CB
3) Kevin Smith, RB, or James Davis, RB
4) Cody Wallace, C
5) J Lehman (still not sure he's not long gone by now)
6) Dominique Barber, FS

In this scenario, Flowers or Porter would be the return man next year.

Last edited by TerribleEd : 01-12-2008 at 08:45 PM.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleEd View Post
Tremendous selections. You and I like alot of the same prospects for the Steelers.

I would love to see that trade happen, but I think Atlanta would have to be willing to overpay (though I haven't checked out the draft position points to verify).

I agree with the Dre Moore selection. Since the Steelers let two back up DE's leave via free agency in your mock offseason, I'd say the Steelers were very lucky to land him. I think you left an already thin D-Line very exposed leading up to the draft by not bringing in a replacement D-Lineman via free agency.

Cody Wallace isn't a prospect I've paid too much attention to, although I have read some positive things about him. But if Alex Mack stayed in school because the NFL advisory board suggested he would be a 4th rounder, then I don't see Wallace going any higher so I think you pulled the trigger a round too soon on him.

Why does everyone think J Lehman will last so long? I could be wrong, but I see him as a 3rd or 4th rounder.
I'm not 100% on Wallace in the third but we need a center and im not a big fan of Steve Justice.

And i dont think Leman will last to the fifth either, but you never know.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
I'm not 100% on Wallace in the third but we need a center and im not a big fan of Steve Justice.

And i dont think Leman will last to the fifth either, but you never know.
I edited my post since you replied, so now you can reply once again if u like, lol.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

Quote:
2a) Dre Moore, DL
2b) Anthony Collins, OT
2c) Brandon Flowers, CB or Tracy Porter, CB
3) Kevin Smith, RB, or James Davis, RB
4) Cody Wallace, C
5) J Lehman (still not sure he's not long gone by now)
6) Dominique Barber, FS

In this scenario, Flowers or Porter would be the return man next year.
i wouldnt mind that either, but i think Kevin Smith said hes staying for his senior season.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

Kevin Smith did a 180 and declared this past week.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

well thats a turn of events..
Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a few things..

1) Darnell Stapleton will likely be the Center this upcoming season.
2) Anthony Collins is a horrible LT.
3) I really really like Dom Barber.
4) Lehman likely won't be drafted.
5) You forgot Andre Frazier and Arnold Harrison as RFA's (Harrison is a ERFA)

6) I was talking to a guy that covers the Steelers and he was talking that "Pittsburgh only drafts "Big" Passrushers for 3-4 DE. McBean, Keisel, Smith were all 4-3 DE's in college. So With LeBeau calling the shots, expect them to be 4-3 DE's that have a great deal of size."

With that said.. I think we take the Hampton DE's. Kendall Langford in 5 (WDE in 6'5 295lbs) and Marcus Dixon (6'4 298lbs) Both Excellent Pass rushers and much better holding the point/run stoppers than most.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Just a few things..

1) Darnell Stapleton will likely be the Center this upcoming season.
2) Anthony Collins is a horrible LT.
3) I really really like Dom Barber.
4) Lehman likely won't be drafted.
5) You forgot Andre Frazier and Arnold Harrison as RFA's (Harrison is a ERFA)

6) I was talking to a guy that covers the Steelers and he was talking that "Pittsburgh only drafts "Big" Passrushers for 3-4 DE. McBean, Keisel, Smith were all 4-3 DE's in college. So With LeBeau calling the shots, expect them to be 4-3 DE's that have a great deal of size."

With that said.. I think we take the Hampton DE's. Kendall Langford in 5 (WDE in 6'5 295lbs) and Marcus Dixon (6'4 298lbs) Both Excellent Pass rushers and much better holding the point/run stoppers than most.
Anthony Collins wasnt in my mock
Leman will be drafted. trust me. He is an animal
and I would love for Stapleton to start next year but how big is Stapleton and how do you know he will start next season. If he doesnt I think center is the biggest need.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like the mock, dre moore is an absolute beast.. trust me ive seen pretty much every game the guys played in for the past 3 years and he is always disruptive and making plays..

i really enjoyed the rest of your mock, i think you hit on all of our needs and each pick would be great value for the players in that particular spot

although dont count our william ***, the dude is a smart and solid player... not flashy but honestly is a deshea townsend clone, with that said i would still like to take flowers if he were available

royal is a great player but i like darius reynad, he is comparable to royal... maybe a bit slower but is a beast and can be a great ST player as well (on kick coverages, etc.)

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
i like the mock, dre moore is an absolute beast.. trust me ive seen pretty much every game the guys played in for the past 3 years and he is always disruptive and making plays..

i really enjoyed the rest of your mock, i think you hit on all of our needs and each pick would be great value for the players in that particular spot

although dont count our william ***, the dude is a smart and solid player... not flashy but honestly is a deshea townsend clone, with that said i would still like to take flowers if he were available

royal is a great player but i like darius reynad, he is comparable to royal... maybe a bit slower but is a beast and can be a great ST player as well (on kick coverages, etc.)
if he can cover and return kicks/punts i want him. :)
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan27 View Post
Anthony Collins wasnt in my mock
Leman will be drafted. trust me. He is an animal
and I would love for Stapleton to start next year but how big is Stapleton and how do you know he will start next season. If he doesnt I think center is the biggest need.
sorry that was for the OP.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote