Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
yes i would not say curt play was as gutsy as phillips but rivers has earned the right to talk as much trash as his heart desires. I just hope he thinks about the kids looking up to him before he does it.
Well, he grew up admiring Favre for his trash talking and mannerism on the field, so I don't think he sees the harm when all he views it as having fun. I think the only people that really don't like it are the opposing players. And even then, it's wishy washy. I know Bailey and Sharper don't like it. But guys like Jared Allen love it. Probably because they do a lot of trash talking themselves.

Like I said before, as long as it doesn't pass the line, I can live with it for now.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM    (permalink
UK Cards Fan
Rookie

UK Cards Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.UK Cards Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

At first, I think Rivers performed a truly courageous act. Then, when I began to think about it, I think what he did was incredibly stupid and selfish.

I am not a fan of Rivers, but I will admit the guy has balls, and performing with no ACL is indeed a courageous act. The guy must have been in incredible pain. However, at some point, the coaches should have said alright, enough is enough, Rivers' performance (which was beyond incredible given the circumstances) was likely worse than that which Billy Volek could have given them (although we will never know), and whilst I think what he did was truly courageous and showed such a high pain threshold, I think the more courageous and selfless thing to have done would have been to sit and acknowledge that he could not help the team as much as a healthy Billy Volek could have, although I am not sure that was Rivers' fault as much as Norv Turner should have stepped in.

That is why I respect L. T. so much for what he did. Sure, just sitting on the sideline may not have looked the best, but the guy realised that, in his shape, any performance would have been likely less than that which Michael Turner / Darren Sproles could have given and, therefore, when it really mattered in the biggest game of his life, L. T. performed a highly unselfish and courageous act by sitting out.

Playing in pain is courageous. However, playing in pain which reduces your effectiveness to a level lower than that which your backup can provide is selfish.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Cards Fan View Post
At first, I think Rivers performed a truly courageous act. Then, when I began to think about it, I think what he did was incredibly stupid and selfish.

I am not a fan of Rivers, but I will admit the guy has balls, and performing with no ACL is indeed a courageous act. The guy must have been in incredible pain. However, at some point, the coaches should have said alright, enough is enough, Rivers' performance (which was beyond incredible given the circumstances) was likely worse than that which Billy Volek could have given them (although we will never know), and whilst I think what he did was truly courageous and showed such a high pain threshold, I think the more courageous and selfless thing to have done would have been to sit and acknowledge that he could not help the team as much as a healthy Billy Volek could have, although I am not sure that was Rivers' fault as much as Norv Turner should have stepped in.

That is why I respect L. T. so much for what he did. Sure, just sitting on the sideline may not have looked the best, but the guy realised that, in his shape, any performance would have been likely less than that which Michael Turner / Darren Sproles could have given and, therefore, when it really mattered in the biggest game of his life, L. T. performed a highly unselfish and courageous act by sitting out.

Playing in pain is courageous. However, playing in pain which reduces your effectiveness to a level lower than that which your backup can provide is selfish.
Get out of here with your crap.

It should be the coaches call if you are to injured to be helping the team. If the coaches would have thought Billy V was the man, they would have stuck him in the game. It isn't Rivers' responsibility to evaluate who should be in the game.

Furthermore, you don't think that Rivers' fired up his teammates last Sunday. If I'm an OL or a WR, I want Rivers' as my QB and I'm going to put everything on the line because I know he will too.

And as for future injury - It isn't Rivers' responsibility to decide this. NFL teams have entire medical staffs with more than enough authority to stop a player from doing serious harm to his body.

Rivers basically just showed that regardless of how much pain he was feeling, he was going to play. I won't suggest that LT was the opposite but other people are.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Get out of here with your crap.

It should be the coaches call if you are to injured to be helping the team. If the coaches would have thought Billy V was the man, they would have stuck him in the game. It isn't Rivers' responsibility to evaluate who should be in the game.

Furthermore, you don't think that Rivers' fired up his teammates last Sunday. If I'm an OL or a WR, I want Rivers' as my QB and I'm going to put everything on the line because I know he will too.

And as for future injury - It isn't Rivers' responsibility to decide this. NFL teams have entire medical staffs with more than enough authority to stop a player from doing serious harm to his body.

Rivers basically just showed that regardless of how much pain he was feeling, he was going to play. I won't suggest that LT was the opposite but other people are.
owned. seriously, dissing Rivers for playing is ridiculous. Volek had thrown ten passes all year, any argument that he would have played better is nuts.

Rivers drove down the field constantly, and they couldn't punch it in without the team's two best red zone weapons (LT, Gates). Even the first interception he threw was a direct result of a bizarrely uncalled leg whip. Philip's performance was great even without his own injury being accounted for.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its Norv's call to throw in Volek, you cant ask a competitor to take himself out, Norv could of pulled the plug on rivers at any time, he knew his knee was scoped before the game, he saw Volek practice, obviously he felt better with Rivers as is then Volek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Volek is not close to as good as phillip rivers is even with a blown knee...Volek is a great backup but you cant expect him to do what he did the week before again... bit lucky i feel

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote