Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre will be back. He's a highlander as far as I'm concerned. Every time I see him walk onto the field Queen's "Princes of the Universe" plays in my head.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Favre bitched about the cold at Soldier field this year and he looked like a sissy girl out there on Sunday. Eli Manning didn't seem to be too effected by it...ELI FREAKING MANNING. The guy who looks lost every time he steps up to the line. Come on now...

Btw, 100% chance Brett comes back. Pimpin' needs to retire IMO but he won't.
ELI MANNING WAS 21-40!!! Barely even 50%. He didn't have a TD pass. I don't understand why everyone thinks he played a great game. He played decent. He managed the game and didn't make any mistakes.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'm not outright saying Favre should retire, and I don't think I said that. Even if Aaron Rodgers is the better quarterback on the roster, which I wonder if he might, for what Favre has done for the franchise he has earned the right to still be the starter. And as you said, he had a very good regular season overall.

It's just that instead of playing well in playoff atmosphere, he regressed to being a big liability to the Packers this season (in Dallas in the regular season, and this past weekend against the Giants). If I were a Packers fan, I'd be seriously concerned with that. This isn't the NFC of a few years ago, you're going to have to get through at least one good team even with the bye. And maybe Ryan Grant and the defense can lead the way, but you're going to need your quarterback to win the game at least once if not more to win a championship.

It's one thing to start off poorly and get himself together as the game wears on, but that's not happening with Favre. In the Dallas game, he was plain bad until Rodgers replaced him and then the Packers took off with Rodgers properly executing their offense, and in the Giants game Favre got worse as the game wore on and the pressure mounted. The Donald Driver touchdown was awesome, no doubt, but really credit to Driver for the great YAC and score. That pick Favre threw in overtime ... surely we can agree that was a terrible pass to make. Probably worse than the one he threw in 2004 in overtime against the Eagles that cost them that game, the 4th and 26 game. A game where Favre started out with a very good first quarter, and then didn't do much of anything afterwards. There's a trend here.

He played well against Seattle the week before, but one could very well argue that the Seahawks were easily the worst team playing on divisional playoffs weekend and that Ryan Grant's monster game helped prevent Favre from potentially choking the game away. McCarthy has him not throwing footwork and decision-making out the window, and instead executing the offense very well, but now he's got to help him do that in big games.

Maybe Favre can turn it for the better in 08, as I definitely think he's coming back and he should just end the unnecessary drama by saying so. I'll be interested to see if he does, and I hope Colts @ Packers is the first SNF game of the season because that's an awesome game to have on opening weekend.
Driver had his guy beat on that interception, Favre just threw it behind him. The Packers rushed the ball 13 times. You can't do that against the Giants. Their pass rush is too good. Even if the run isn't working you have to keep trying, especially when you are down by one score.

Favre is not to blame for this loss. 29 rushing yards on 13 attempts is why the Packers lost. Favre isn't the Favre of the mid 90's. Unfortunately he can't carry the team by himself anymore. Neither of his INTs were typical Favre INTs. Neither were bad choices, they were just bad passes.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
ELI MANNING WAS 21-40!!! Barely even 50%. He didn't have a TD pass. I don't understand why everyone thinks he played a great game. He played decent. He managed the game and didn't make any mistakes.
Eli threw some good passes that were dropped, a few by Amani Toomer of course, and Burress' big drop before halftime that kept at least 3 points off the board. In the second half alone Eli and the Giants engineered two touchdown drives and two other drives that resulted in missed field goals.

The only scores the Packers were able to muster in 2nd half of the game: a 3rd quarter touchdown-scoring drive thanks to a 49-yard kickoff return; and a 4th quarter field goal thanks to RW McDumbass fumbling the first Favre interception and Green Bay recovering in field goal range.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Eli threw some good passes that were dropped, a few by Amani Toomer of course, and Burress' big drop before halftime that kept at least 3 points off the board. In the second half alone Eli and the Giants engineered two touchdown drives and two other drives that resulted in missed field goals.

The only scores the Packers were able to muster in 2nd half of the game: a 3rd quarter touchdown-scoring drive thanks to a 49-yard kickoff return; and a 4th quarter field goal thanks to RW McDumbass fumbling the first Favre interception and Green Bay recovering in field goal range.
He also had a couple INTs that were dropped. He had a good game but some people are making it out like he had a game for the ages.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Get out of it, he was brilliant.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:19 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna have to agree. The Giants won primarily because of their defense. The fact that Eli is getting so much credit just reinforces the media's desire to make everything about the quarterback.

Eli had a running game. Favre didn't.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I'm gonna have to agree. The Giants won primarily because of their defense. The fact that Eli is getting so much credit just reinforces the media's desire to make everything about the quarterback.

Thank you. Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch football. Defense and a running game wins championships. The reason the Packers lost this game was because of their lack of a running game.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he had 8 dropped passes. and 21-40 in those conditions aren't exactly bad either.

outside of 2 passes, Favre did much worse in comparison. Heck, even including those 2 TD passes he did fairly worse. This is Brett Favre we're talking about. One of the GOATs. For Eli to outplay him speaks volumes about how well he did.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thank you. Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch football. Defense and a running game wins championships. The reason the Packers lost this game was because of their lack of a running game.
not everyone has a chance you arrogant idiot. Stop acting like you're the king of football.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

This is absolutely true. I think our defense's development is a huge reason why Eli doesn't force the ball like he used to. He has faith that our defense can make a stop now.

We don't make it to the SB without our defense this year. More importantly, without Spags.

But to say Eli played poorly or just ok is not correct either. Considering the cirumstances, I think he's played well. In fact, he's had a better postseason than any qb in the playoffs if you want to throw stats around. (although i hate doing that, so i will cede any valid points to disprove me).
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
we threw it 40 times. its not like we lived and died with our run game either. We put the ball in Eli's hands to win us the game. He did. Its not like he threw it 18 times and drove the bus. Far from that.

Eli threw it more than Favre did. Eli completed more 3rd and longs than Favre did (which makes your run game stat invalid because they both go against nickel defenses on 3rd and long).

Eli played a good game.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
we threw it 40 times. its not like we lived and died with our run game either. We put the ball in Eli's hands to win us the game. He did. Its not like he threw it 18 times and drove the bus. Far from that.

Eli threw it more than Favre did. Eli completed more 3rd and longs than Favre did (which makes your run game stat invalid because they both go against nickel defenses on 3rd and long).

Eli played a good game.
I never said he didn't play a good game. I said he didn't play the great game that everyone else has been saying he did.

More important than Eli Manning throwing the ball 40 times is they still ran in 39 times. Favre threw it 35 times and the Packers ran the ball 13 times. The Giants offense was balanced. The Packers were not.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
not everyone has a chance you arrogant idiot. Stop acting like you're the king of football.
What the hell was that? Anyone that said Eli Manning played a great game is deluded. He played well. He managed the game. He was impressive for Eli Manning.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
he had 8 dropped passes. and 21-40 in those conditions aren't exactly bad either.

outside of 2 passes, Favre did much worse in comparison. Heck, even including those 2 TD passes he did fairly worse. This is Brett Favre we're talking about. One of the GOATs. For Eli to outplay him speaks volumes about how well he did.
Ya, Manning outplayed Favre. Favre didn't have a very good game.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a greedy selfish player. We all know he wants to be known as the greatest QB ever. GIVE AARON RODGERS A CHANCE ALREADY. Any1 see the post-game conference? He said "We didn't do enough to win the game." He was the one who threw the pick in overtime. And one lucky pass play got him 80+ yards.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
He's a greedy selfish player. We all know he wants to be known as the greatest QB ever. GIVE AARON RODGERS A CHANCE ALREADY. Any1 see the post-game conference? He said "We didn't do enough to win the game." He was the one who threw the pick in overtime. And one lucky pass play got him 80+ yards.
Are You serious you dont just retire after 18 years to give another guy a chance...and Favre is the first one to tell you that he is not the best ever...He always comments about how Marino is the best ever and when he broke his record he couldnt stop giving marino credit for how great he was...Thats ridiculous katnip

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Tell me what QB will succeed when his RB has 13 carries for 29 yards. "We" includes him. He hit DD in stride on that long pass, how was it "lucky."

Why should he give Aaron Rodgers a chance when he is better than him? If not for Brady's incredible year, Favre may have had his 4th MVP. Favre played amazing this year.

He does want to be known as the best ever. You don't make the NFL much less have an 18 year career without that drive. I would be worried if he didn't want to go down as the best ever. You don't think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady want to retire with people considering them the best ever? You're an idiot.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Tell me what QB will succeed when his RB has 13 carries for 29 yards. "We" includes him. He hit DD in stride on that long pass, how was it "lucky."

Why should he give Aaron Rodgers a chance when he is better than him? If not for Brady's incredible year, Favre may have had his 4th MVP. Favre played amazing this year.

He does want to be known as the best ever. You don't make the NFL much less have an 18 year career without that drive. I would be worried if he didn't want to go down as the best ever. You don't think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady want to retire with people considering them the best ever? You're an idiot.

I would have to second that.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well you clearly think it was unfair to Aaron that Favre starts ahead of him, but was it fair to Favre that the Packer organization drafted Aaron? Especially after a year in which Favre threw 30 TD's.
Plus didnt Steve Young sit for like 4 years?
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre has pulled out of the Pro Bowl. I see that as another sign he'll be returning in 2008. If he was going to retire I'm sure he'd want to get that one last game in.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 AM    (permalink
fondoffilm
Rookie

fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.

Favre will be back. I just hope he's not such a princess about it this time.
fondoffilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Fooath
Rookie

Fooath hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He's already said he's coming back...

And he did whine when he played at Soldier field, and lost, with Kyle Orton as the opposing QB. They also had a running game that day.

Eli managed the game and didnt make mistakes, Favre didnt manage the game and made mistakes.
Fooath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooath View Post
He's already said he's coming back...

And he did whine when he played at Soldier field, and lost, with Kyle Orton as the opposing QB. They also had a running game that day.

Eli managed the game and didnt make mistakes, Favre didnt manage the game and made mistakes.
40 mph winds kinda destroys any talent advantage at QB. Not to mention, two blocked punts and a 9 yard punt.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
40 mph winds kinda destroys any talent advantage at QB. Not to mention, two blocked punts and a 9 yard punt.
ya people need to realize it was not favres fault...yes he did not have the greatest game but there were a lot of other factors that came into it too...cut one of the greatest QB ever a break