Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Our Biggest Draft Need

Come draft day, what position do you guys think, will be our biggest need? OLB, DE, CB, OT, QB, or something else?

I think it will be DE, With Suggs wanting to go to Arizona, and Trevor Pryce getting up there in age I would love to see us bring in either Campbell or Gholston. I think they'd be great fits in our defense and be a part of a already very good d-line with ngata gregg and suggs(when kept happy).

CB- With Samari slowing down and McAlister showing signs as well I think its time to bring in some younger talent but will there be a corner worth a top 10 pick? If there is its most likely going to be Mike Jenkins and the Pats might take him.

OT- JO wont be here much longer, Gaither has shown flashes, Terry has been decent IMO, and Yanda has played the best out of the 3 but is better suited as a backup imo. I think bringing another tackle in, to compete with Gaither and Terry to get the best out of them would really help. I would love Ryan Clady and he will most likely be at our pick.

QB- With Harbaugh coming in as the new HC, hes going to want to find a QB to lead his team and if he's not satisfied with eitehr Boller or Troy, and I hope he is, he will probably draft his own :( which I would think is a mistake because we've got much bigger needs imo. If he really wants s QB then I think he should wait till the 2nd round.

I think we'll end up taking either a OT or a DE (with the 1st rounder) because Coach Harbaugh has said he really believes that games are won in the trenches and I respect that.

What are some of your thoughts?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 AM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

funny thing is that some of our draft needs of this year were strengths going int the draft last year

personally, i feel that corner is where we need the most help... ed reed wasnt as effective last year because of the poor play of our backups

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wont be real happy if we go OT in the 1st. I would prefer a CB,Dline, and WR but there isnt a WR at that level.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Corner. But I honestly have no idea where we will be going come April.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think there will be a Corner worth the 8th pick come draft day but you never know. And what if John Harbaugh wants his own QB and isnt satisfied with either Troy or Kyle? I would really hate if we targeted a QB. I really want a D-Linemen, I mean say we re-sign Suggs and keep him happy-

DE- Terrell Suggs
DT- Kelly Gregg
DT-Haloti Ngata
DE- Calaias Campbell/Vernon Gholston (whoever we get)
^ now thats a sick defensive line IMO.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd really rather have a corner in Round 1, we all see the lack of depth behind Corey Ivy, who is suited to play nickel and not start.

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:55 PM    (permalink
The Beast in the East

id like to see them get a really good pass rushing end. Looking back at last year yes the secondary had problems but it was partially because the opposing QB had too much time to throw the ball and we were getting almost no pressure. I think if you fix the problems on the D line then the secondary will get much better as a result. I really like gholston but im not against cambell or ellis either.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Corner. We got exposed all year because of our lack of depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

The Ravens (Offensive or Defensive)
Matt Ryan or Leodis Mclevin - 1st Round
James Hardy or Dre Moore - 2nd Round

The Legends Ravens Mock Draft
1st Round Pick: Leodis Mclevin CB
2nd Round Pick: James Hardy WR
4th Round Pick: Joe Flacco QB
5th Round Pick: Marcus Harrison DT/DE
6th Round Pick: Johnny Dingle DE/OLB
7th Round Pick: Keon Lattimore RB/ST
Keon Lattimore is Ray Lewis lil Brother :)

Last edited by The Legend : 01-28-2008 at 01:40 AM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
The Ravens (Offensive or Defensive)
Matt Ryan or Leodis Mclevin - 1st Round
James Hardy or Dre Moore - 2nd Round

The Legends Ravens Mock Draft
1st Round Pick: Leodis Mclevin CB
2nd Round Pick: James Hardy WR
4th Round Pick: Joe Flacco QB
5th Round Pick: Marcus Harrison DT/DE
6th Round Pick: Johnny Dingle DE/OLB
7th Round Pick: Keon Lattimore RB/ST
I doubt Flacco falls to the 4th round.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:01 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
I doubt Flacco falls to the 4th round.
his stock has drop so far it sad, had a terriable i mean horriable Senior Bowl even the host of the show dont even want to talk about him, also this kid may run a 5.0 40 time they say at best he'll run a 4.9

its alot like Derek Anderson stock which drop and he feel from 3round to late 6th
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB or DE!!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 AM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Troj2man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
his stock has drop so far it sad, had a terriable i mean horriable Senior Bowl even the host of the show dont even want to talk about him, also this kid may run a 5.0 40 time they say at best he'll run a 4.9

its alot like Derek Anderson stock which drop and he feel from 3round to late 6th
I don't see how you can say his stock has dropped at all. It wasn't even that high to begin with. He's always been considered that wildcard type QB coming from a D2 college. He has everything you look for in an NFL QB. He'll just need time to put everything together. He's certainly a developmental QB.

For the draft I still think the Ravens go BPA. A guy like Sedrick Ellis or Leodis McKelvin could be there at 8. I still wouldn't rule out Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm if either is there at our pick.

my dream first day would be:

1) Sedrick Ellis- DT, USC
2) Chad Henne- QB, Michigan

DT isn't really a big need, but Sedrick Ellis was absolutely dominant all week at the senior bowl. He's very explosive and can cause problems in the backfield. The only question about this pick is the players at the DT position already on the roster.

QB is a huge need for this team regardless of what anyone thinks about Troy Smith. Steve Mcnair is done, and Kyle Boller is gone after this season. Henne has a huge arm and looked very impressive at the senior bowl against the top talent.

Here's how I rank the Ravens needs:

CB- Lack of depth killed us this past season. Rolle and Cmac are up there in age, and injuries may start to pop up for both of them.

DE- Re-signing Suggs would help in a big way. We still need another pass rusher to come off the edge. Pryce isn't getting any younger and injuries may have caught up with him.

QB- The Ravens still need a franchise QB. Troy Smith has shown some promise, but still has a long way to go to even be considered the future leader of this team.

OT- Ogden is likely gone leaving you with average offensive tackles. Adam Terry needs to prove he can handle the LT position, Marshall Yanda was solid, but still needs a lot of work as he struggled at times during the season, and Gaither is still a huge question mark. He has all the physical tools, but needs time to get it all together.

Last edited by Troj2man : 01-28-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Troj2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troj2man View Post
I don't see how you can say his stock has dropped at all. It wasn't even that high to begin with. He's always been considered that wildcard type QB coming from a D2 college. He has everything you look for in an NFL QB. He'll just need time to put everything together. He's certainly a developmental QB.

For the draft I still think the Ravens go BPA. A guy like Sedrick Ellis or Leodis McKelvin could be there at 8. I still wouldn't rule out Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm if either is there at our pick.

my dream first day would be:

1) Sedrick Ellis- DT, USC
2) Chad Henne- QB, Michigan

DT isn't really a big need, but Sedrick Ellis was absolutely dominant all week at the senior bowl. He's very explosive and can cause problems in the backfield. The only question about this pick is the players at the DT position already on the roster.

QB is a huge need for this team regardless of what anyone thinks about Troy Smith. Steve Mcnair is done, and Kyle Boller is gone after this season. Henne has a huge arm and looked very impressive at the senior bowl against the top talent.

Here's how I rank the Ravens needs:

CB- Lack of depth killed us this past season. Rolle and Cmac are up there in age, and injuries may start to pop up for both of them.

DE- Re-signing Suggs would help in a big way. We still need another pass rusher to come off the edge. Pryce isn't getting any younger and injuries may have caught up with him.

QB- The Ravens still need a franchise QB. Troy Smith has shown some promise, but still has a long way to go to even be considered the future leader of this team.

OT- Ogden is likely gone leaving you with average offensive tackles. Adam Terry needs to prove he can handle the LT position, Marshall Yanda was solid, but still needs a lot of work as he struggled at times during the season, and Gaither is still a huge question mark. He has all the physical tools, but needs time to get it all together.
I see it the same way but I think we should give Antwan Barnes a shot at taking over for Pryce but I dont think he can be a full time DE. So i still think DE is a pretty big need especially if Suggs leaves. I doubt there will be a CB worth a top 10 pick at our pick so I think we should target a OT instead. Like you stated, Ogden is going to be out soon and Terry hasnt been great, Yanda has been solid but is better suited as a backup, Gaithers got huge potential but I think throwing another guy in there would really help. Ryan Clady imo should be that guy.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie FTW! The kid was electric in the Senior Bowl.

Although I think there is something to this speculation that Ellis out of USC might be the pick. And lets just end this Suggs leaving nonsense. He made his comments at an Arizona State Basketball, he's an Arizona guy and everyone dreams of playing for their hometown team. With that, he's always said how much he loves Baltimore and wants to stay here. 2 words that finish off this nonsense: Franchise Tag!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie FTW! The kid was electric in the Senior Bowl.

Although I think there is something to this speculation that Ellis out of USC might be the pick. And lets just end this Suggs leaving nonsense. He made his comments at an Arizona State Basketball, he's an Arizona guy and everyone dreams of playing for their hometown team. With that, he's always said how much he loves Baltimore and wants to stay here. 2 words that finish off this nonsense: Franchise Tag!
no offence but is he worth like 7.5 mill?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

True, and if Suggs does stay and we DO draft Ellis, where does Ellis go? Does he take over for Ngata and play DT? Or will Ellis play at DE?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
True, and if Suggs does stay and we DO draft Ellis, where does Ellis go? Does he take over for Ngata and play DT? Or will Ellis play at DE?
If we keep Suggs and draft Ellis, I feel we would then run more of a 4-3 and possibly more of the 46 defense, therefore allowing for a line of Ngata, Gregg, Ellis, and Suggs. Plus you could always push Jarrett Johnson back up to the Defensive Line in 46 formations.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
no offence but is he worth like 7.5 mill?
Without question, yes he's worth that. He's 25 for God's sake and most likely has his best years in front of him.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A player not really in our range, but I'm a big fan of is Phillip Merling. I think he's an ideal replacement for Trevor Pryce. He's a former prep guy, and had 3 productive years at Clemson, 2 as a starter, where he racked up some big numbers. A high school TE and basketball player, he's a good athlete for being a big man. And then strangely enough, he's 6'5 280 and a Clemson Tiger, just like Pryce, although that doesn't matter that much. He's a stout player, but has the ability to get after the QB, and not only that he's great at holding up blocks and then getting around them to make the tackle behind the line.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
If we keep Suggs and draft Ellis, I feel we would then run more of a 4-3 and possibly more of the 46 defense, therefore allowing for a line of Ngata, Gregg, Ellis, and Suggs. Plus you could always push Jarrett Johnson back up to the Defensive Line in 46 formations.
but where would each player line up?

DE-Suggs
DT-Kelly Gregg
DT- Sedrick Ellis ?
DE- Haloti Ngata ?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
but where would each player line up?

DE-Suggs
DT-Kelly Gregg
DT- Sedrick Ellis ?
DE- Haloti Ngata ?
Sure why not, that line could easily disrupt the pocket and cause havoc in the backfield.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we would have to play a 46 or a 4-3 over like that, there is no way Ngata has enough lateral speed to play 43 DE. I wouldnt mind some 46 plays but not as our base defense.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
we would have to play a 46 or a 4-3 over like that, there is no way Ngata has enough lateral speed to play 43 DE. I wouldnt mind some 46 plays but not as our base defense.
why not a normal 4-3 and just get a good DT rotation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
why not a normal 4-3 and just get a good DT rotation?
Not a bad idea, but should we draft Ellis just to be a part of a rotation? I would think taking a player #8 overall would and should serve a bigger role.