Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
SmarterThanU

Default A newbie Steelers Mock Draft. Let me hear it. ; )

RD1- Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh
Massive offensive lineman that has LT potential. This moves Colon to LG with the leaving of Faneca. And maybe or LT in 2009 if Smith isn't resigned.

RD2- James Hardy WR Indiana
Big Ben complained about not having any tall receivers. Well, the 6 feet 7 inch Hardy is about as tall as they come. Ward is still good but will be 32 in a couple of months. Holmes is about to have a break out season but after that we haven't got a lot. Washington looks to be a possible #3 for the future but Willie Reed is horrible and Cedric Wilson is just a journey man.

RD3- DaJuan Morgan FS N.C. State
Unless it comes to talking Anthony Smith really hasn't showed much. Morgan is a tackling machine and has great speed and hips being a former RB. Also had 3 picks and 6 pbu's. Should make the fs position a little more competitive.

RD4- Cliff Avril OLB/DE Purdue
Can play DE in the Tampa 2 and OLB in the 3-4. Harrison is a stud but also will be 30. This gives the Steelers acouple of years to develop Woodley and Avril at OLB and put Timmons at ILB for Farrior.

RD5- Ryan Torain RB Arizona St.
Torain is a power back that should compliment Parker nicely. Parker is a stud but really needs someone to help carry some of that loan. Davenport just isn't that guy.

RD6- Mike Fladell OG Rutgers
A 6-8 325lb guard that blocked for Ray Rice and Brian Leonard.

RD7- Shannon Boatman OT Florida St.
Another massive o-linemen with potential. Lets coach some of these later round guys up and see if we find a gem.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
JoeSixPac
Rookie

JoeSixPac hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the first two picks.

Kojak Sports Blog (my blog)
I like only two teams, the Steelers, and whoever beats the Patriots.
JoeSixPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if Hardy will be there in the second. Not bad though. I think we need a corner in this draft too.
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not bad but we dont have a 2nd and it doesnt concern our biggest need which is dline

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 PM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie

TheWood56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
not bad but we dont have a 2nd and it doesnt concern our biggest need which is dline
You mean 7th.

But I agree with you in that we need to address the DL, if not in FA, then through the draft.

Also, I'd take Hardy in the 2nd, but I doubt he even makes it into the 2nd, let alone to the bottom of the 2nd, though it is a nice thought.
TheWood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah sorry 7th

Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really like it. Especially rounds 1,2,3,5.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea i like everything except 4 too. i would grab the best 34 DE thats on the board in the fourth instead of an OLB, we have time (atleast a year or two) before we need to worry about that position.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
SmarterThanU

Forgot we don't have a 7th. Thanks for the positive reviews. I know Hardy in the second is a stretch but every draft site I see has him as a 1st or 2nd. And last year Dwayne Jarrett at this time as a top ten pick and he went 45th overall. I think Hardy's negative of not being explosive or real physical will drop him to the second round. Just personal opinion.

The reason I went with Avril is I think he could fit into both the Tampa 2 and our 3-4 defense. He has had 30 TFL and 13 sacks over the last two seasons and Haggans and Harrison aren't getting any younger.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterThanU View Post
Forgot we don't have a 7th. Thanks for the positive reviews. I know Hardy in the second is a stretch but every draft site I see has him as a 1st or 2nd. And last year Dwayne Jarrett at this time as a top ten pick and he went 45th overall. I think Hardy's negative of not being explosive or real physical will drop him to the second round. Just personal opinion.

The reason I went with Avril is I think he could fit into both the Tampa 2 and our 3-4 defense. He has had 30 TFL and 13 sacks over the last two seasons and Haggans and Harrison aren't getting any younger.
while them not getting any younger is a true statement. Haggans is gone this year and a young Woodley is coming in. and while yes Harrison is turning 30 this year, he is still producing. we can wait another year. i don't think we can wait another year for the DE help. Smith goes down and we allow somewhere around 170 ypg on the ground in those two games. we need better depth. two torn biceps is hard to come back from, we don't even know if he will be the Smith. i just think it is more pressing than an OLB at the moment.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
steelersfan27
Rookie

steelersfan27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

nice mock and i would love Otah/Hardy in the 1st 2 rounds.

ps. we have a thread for mocks and welcome.
steelersfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not bad for a 1st mock...some good picks/some bad picks. B-
Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie

AreYouSmarterThanA5thGrader, if you really want Avril or an OLB in the 4th, because I agree, I'd love for another pass rushing OLB considering Haggans will be gone next season and we don't necessarily have good depth there (Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier) why don't you just replace Morgan in the 3rd and replace him with a DE like Langford or something, even though I'm starting to think if we really want Langford, we'd have to select him with our 2nd rounder. Though I really think DL is a big priority, and unless we make a couple of moves in FA and pickup a couple of solid DL for depth, we'll most certainly have to select a young DL come draft day. Also, I say replace Morgan in the 3rd because I've heard Ryan Clark will be able to return healthy next season after having his spleen removed, and I actually don't mind Clark back there as think he's a safe, solid player. I also think Anthony Smith, regardless of what anyone says, has a bright future and has a heap of potential, so I'm still really holding out for him in hopes that he can play a little more disciplined and possibly have a break out year in 2008. I think if Clark's able to return healthy next season after having his spleen removed, which I've heard he'll be able to, I really don't think drafting a FS is a priority, especially considering I still have high hopes for Smith and think he has great potential.

Last edited by TheWood56 : 01-30-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good draft 1,2,3,4 reallllll nice

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

i for one am still an anthony smith lover, idk bout anyone else though

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
agreed. Smith still has a chance to be a good one.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
TheWood56
Rookie

Quote:
I am. Did you read my post above?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
bdcbdc7

Great Mock. I'll do a back flip if the first 4 rnds go that way. Avril would be a great pick and yes we absolutely need OLB depth and another good pass rusher.

The Giants seem to have collected a nice stable of pass rushers and we see it does protect the back 7 quite a bit. As I like to say a great pass rush forgives a ton of the D's sins.

We need a CF kind of Safety a true FS. I like A. Smith but he is a Strong safety and he is being used out of position as a FS. I like Clark and IMO he played well when healthy. I would go after a DE/DT at three. We can get by with the Safeties we have.

STRONG to quite Strong
Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcbdc7 View Post
STRONG to quite Strong
huh?? say what???!!