Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Please don't get me wrong... I will be the first Bengal fan to sit and put faith in the team to improve and can look in many directions to see why that faith should be there. However, there are no definitives and a lot of "I hopes" floating around.

We have no idea about the health of the o-line going in and in looking at the depth chart, can you really say our depth at almost every position is Andrews ?? Collins is an unknown at this point...

Rivers "should" make an impact in his rookie year, but who knows how he will adapt and there is no clear cut answers when it comes to Odell being on the field and the status of Brooks (I like to hit women allegedly)...

We can say we got first round talent in Sims, but he's not going to start right away as I see Peko holding it down and the team not getting rid of the only veteran depth in Thornton. That doesn't mean they won't get rid of him, but I just can't see it.

Odom was a monster in Tennessee, but he also had MUCH help on that D-line and all we can do is "Hope" that he can produce the same with Geathers and whomever we place in the middle of the D-line.

Running backs are a HUGE question mark and to have the thought that adding a 31 year old injury prone RB to the mix says enough in my opinion.

The WR corp is based upon a headcase, someone who's been out of the league the last season, and rookies. TJ is the man, but we can only hope against hope that at least one of the rookies will produce in their first season. History is not on our side with that one...

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID, I still think we can make a run at the Division this year and bring it all together. Why ?? Because I am a fan and homerish like many other fans out there, but not because of anything definitive that can be pointed out...
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean you can never be sure how the season will turn out, or how certain players will perform etc. But I find it hard to believe that Rudi Johnson is done with this game. Last year, he rushed for a hundred yards in the browns game before his injury. I honestly think he could have a 1k yard year in 07' if he didn't get injured.

With a solid running game, Carson will have a better composure and perform better - regardless of who his receivers are (even rookies in my opinion).

Which leads us to the defense: We have a lot of young players on defense, and the few strong veterans we do have seem to be in positions that won't make a huge difference. However, with youth you do lack experience, but you gain energy - if our defense can just play 4 quarters, we may be able to make up for those missing veterans.

Obviously, it could all go wrong - you never know whats going to happen, but currently I think we look very solid in a weak division (dare I say that??!).
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We've got a lot of questions but I think we all realize the talent is there, some front office stuff/uncertainty will have us asking questions pretty much throughout the year. I am confident we will have a successful 9-11 win season.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Once again, I believe we are in a good position and could see a 10 win season, but that is also having everything fall into place. I will say this though... We could get by with the offense if the defense were to just step it up to middle of the road. Give me a #15 defense and I'd be willing to place a large sum of cash on the fact the Bengals win the Division.

How great would that be with Chad sitting on the sidelines watching the Bengals not only go to the playoffs, but win a game or so ?? I still want him gone !!!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

The newest article I have seen on the subject:

It sounds like the Bengals didn't draft three wide receivers last week just because of the Chad Johnson holdout and the Chris Henry firing. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis tells me there's a T.J. Houshmandzadeh element to it, too.

"T.J.'s at the end of his contract this year,'' Lewis said, "and I don't know if it's possible to re-sign him. Chad says he won't play without a trade. We just have to be prepared for anything this year, and for the future.''

Hmmm. Hadn't heard the Houshmandzadeh reference before, but it makes some sense. This is the last year of a four-year contract for Houshmandzadeh, who has been in Johnson's shadow for most of his seven years in Cincinnati. He's due to make $2.65 million, plus a $100,000 workout bonus if he accrues enough time in the Bengals' offseason program.

Few receivers can match his production over the past two years -- 202 catches, 2,224 yards, 21 touchdowns -- and he'll be 31 at the end of this season. He's missed only four games over the last four years, so injury shouldn't be a concern. Will someone be willing to pay him $10 million a year if he becomes a free agent? Probably, if he exits this year injury-free. Don't laugh. Shoot, if Javon Walker can get $27 million in the first three years of a deal with Oakland and he can't stay on the field for a season, and if the market for wideouts is weak, I could see Houshmandzadeh hitting the jackpot.

Two other things from my talk with Lewis: The Bengals wouldn't have taken the relatively unknown Jerome Simpson from Coastal Carolina in the second round if Lewis didn't think he could play a significant role as an NFL rookie. The Bengals think he's smart and ready to adapt quickly to their offensive system -- even though he had only 41 catches last season at a relatively low level of play.

And they're digging in with Chad Johnson, who says he wants out of Cincinnati after playing two seasons in a 2006 renegotiated contract with four years left (at $3 million, $4.5 million, $5 million, $6 million.

"We've made it clear what the stance is,'' Lewis said. "It's not going to change, today or in August, whenever. You cannot allow a player to get up on his high chair with four years left on his contract and demand to get out. If you do that, you set a terrible example for the rest of your team, and we won't do that.''

We'll see. Sounds like a long, hot summer in Cincinnati.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...05/06/mailbag/

Get up on his high chair ?? Great stuff Marvin !!!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we lose Housh I'll be really sad.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I can't say as I want to see TJ go either and hope he sticks, but at least the Bengals had enough foresight (did I just say that?) to go out and get some WR's in the draft.

After all the flack Marvin has taken in regards to not only his dealings with Chad in the past, but how it affects the locker room, you have to love how he's handling it now. The hard part is, you make it more difficult on yourself when you let things brew and then take a hardline stance after the fact. I give Marvin a lot of credit though...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really believe TJ will be here for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if he let the team structure his contract to make that possible.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-07-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Props to Marvin for standing strong, this is going to be very interesting as the season comes into play...Chad won't want to play, and some guys might not want him in the huddle, maybe it was just me but towards the end of last season, in particuliar the SF game Chad and Carson looked out of sync, I know this because Chad was on my fantasy team so I watched him closely down the stretch and saw that game...For guys who played together as long as them should of been hitting on all cylinders like Peyton and Marvin, but Chad was either in the wrong spot, or Carson was putting it in the wrong spot, they just looked like they had their signals crossed quite a bit, it didn't look the same.

Simpson looks like a future #1, at least he has the potential, he might not pan out to be that, but he has that type of ability, I'm excited to see him play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its simply because Chad isnt a very motivated team player. He is an "I me, mine" player. He only cares about himself. That would be fine if he played professional Tidily Winks.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta love the way TJ is going about things.

He wants a new contract, he's made that clear. Plus, he's only got one year left anyway. He's basically said if it gets done, it gets done. If not then he'll deal with it later. He said regardless he was going to get ready to come in and win this season.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

ya TJ is a pretty classy guy.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ron Burgundy once told TJ to stay classy when TJ was 10 years old. He has been classy.

Maybe the Bengals should have their own commercial like the Chuck Norris Nissan one. Tough Meets Classy with TJ.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We will see what happens. I don't Think TJ deserves a #1 receivers salary. The Bengals shouldnt give him a #1 receivers salary. He will prolly go to another club that will pay him such. Doesn't take away from his class though. I think if he can prove himself as a locker room leader then the Bengals will pay him.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guy wants to get paid, he's grossly underpaid as it is and on the last year so I can't blame him for wanting more. I guess we'll see, we've still got #9 back there if we lose him so our rock on offense is still there.

I think from now on I'm just going to refuse to say that loud mouth WR's name or any reference to him by his number etc. He's not worth the time. My sig speaks the truth.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:27 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

We will find out this year if Housh will be worth a big contract. We will find out if he is a product of "whom we shall not speak of" or if he is an actually solid receiver that can step up and play #1. If he steps up and becomes a leader he will undoubtedly get a contract extension.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I've convinced myself that if that WR sits more good will come of it.

Guys will be forced to step up, hopefully TJ will become more of a leader and we'll stop being so reliant on the passing game.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
We will find out this year if Housh will be worth a big contract. We will find out if he is a product of "whom we shall not speak of" or if he is an actually solid receiver that can step up and play #1. If he steps up and becomes a leader he will undoubtedly get a contract extension.
I know its only business, and its logical to do it that way, but thats the part I hate about football =P. TJ proved he deserves to get paid more than he does already, but now he's got to prove it again because no one has faith in him without Chad. I get it, but I have no doubt he can still play ball with chad off the field.

I think people waaaaay overrate the double team coverage on Chad. I'm not saying it doesn't help, because it does - I'll even go as far as to say it helps a lot. But people who act like TJ is all the sudden going to only get 30 catches and have 300 yards or something are kidding themselves.

TJ will at least get 75 catches (I realize thats low for a #1 with a good QB throwing to him, but hopefully we'll be running a lot more and spreading the ball around more with all of our receivers) and 8 TD's.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

I have no doubt he will play well and get a good number of yards and catches. He may not have Chad to pull a double team, but he does now have a pass Catching TE in Utecht. That alone should help alot. In addition there is a deep threat in Caldwell, and Simpson should pull some looks in the endzone. What would probably be a factor that alot of people overlook is that we should have a healthy Oline which could also translate into a run game. Plus there is a healthy Chris Perry factor. Chris Perry can be a very effective offensive option. If Housh demands a double team then that will leave open one of our young receivers. If Housh doesnt complain about not getting the ball all the time then he is a team leader. If he starts complaining about not getting the ball because he is getting covered all the time then he isn't worth resigning. Because its going to take half a season before anyone realizes you can double team us because then you will get burnt somewhere else. Then Housh will get his catches.

Alot of people don't believe Housh can be a number 1 guy. I sit on the fence on that myself. Remember alot of people thought Reggie Wayne couldnt be a NUmber 1 receiver and he proved alot of people wrong.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

The two biggest "IFS" that I am hoping and praying work out for us are:

Odell Thurman and Chris Perry

What a healthy / non stupid version of these two can do for their respective side of the ball is crazy. I know most people are down on Perry and yes, he could be gone just as easily, but I think him being healthy in the backfield will help Carson and the rest of the WR's tremendously. Just like that, Odell could bring an infusion of talent and attitude that when coupled with Rivers' leadership could turn the LB corps into something monsterous.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen and think the two could be on their way out just as easily with another injury or episode of stupidity, but I will say these two are the two people I will be keeping an eye on through camps and into the preseason.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Agreed 100000000%.

Those two are so massive for both sides of the ball. When Odell was out there we know what he did. Perry was so huge, helped the running and passing game. Teams always had to account for him coming out of the backfield, if not he'd burn you and big time.

Those two were HUGE reasons for our success in 2005.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it August yet?
I want to see Odell on the field soon.
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:06 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I hope to God that at least once in the preseason we get to see Rivers/Ahmad/Odell on the field together. I would mess myself and immediately have a sig of them made.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

IF Rivers is all he's hyped up to be...
IF Ahmad turns potential into production and stays healthy...
IF Odell returns to form and has no setbacks...

There are a lot of "IFS" there with Rivers being the most probable of the three, but "OH MY GOD" if all three transpire !!! When I talk football at work, people give me sh*t about the Bengals defense. I keep telling them the last thing ANY team in the AFCN wants to see is, what I mentioned above happens coupled with one of the rookie DT's producing. I seriously think people are praying Jason Shirley f*cks up again, because if he keeps it together, our front 7 just gets more and more BEASTLY !!!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Oh yeah, Chad still needs to go...