Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default "The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

:O
I don't know what y'alls reaction was, but I am simply flabbergasted at the grab that Tyree made on the game winning drive.

I mean, in an age where hyperbole is out of control everywhere you look, the strongest statement I have heard in regard to this play was "it might be one of the best plays in Super Bowl history..."

EXCUSE ME? Here is a catch that 1) is as remarkable a pure "catch" as you will ever see, with the defender trying his balls off to push the ball through the receiver's hands, before WWE-ing the guy across his knee, all while the WR is pinning the ball against his helmet WITH ONE HAND AND somehow managing to prevent the ball from hitting the turf; 2) occurred during the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, with his team down by 4 points, needing a TD, and facing a 4th and long conversion inside their own territory if he doesn't make it.....and that doesn't even include the amazing escape that Eli makes to get the ball off in the first place!!(I'm working myself into a frenzy here)....3) immediatly leads to the game winning score against a previously unbeaten (and supposedly unbeatable) team that is gunning for "best of all time" honors.

Does that cover it? I mean, honestly, what play can you name off of the top of your head that has more going for it? I say that this might be the greatest catch in NFL history--certainly the best that I have witnessed.

Maybe we should come up with a new name for it, but its easily a more noteworthy and remarkable play than what Dwight Clark did, so why not?
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's close to being the same as Clark's catch, and the more impressive part of that play was when Eli somehow got out of that jumble.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the play should be called the Great Escape cause of Eli's part in that play. I think that was more impressive than the catch personally.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Eli's "The scramble" was more impressive.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think "The Great Escape" would be more fitting. Eli escaped about 5 sacks on that play.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I don't think so. I'll admit that I'm biased, however that catch in the 1981 NFC Championship isn't necessarily remembered for how spectacular it was. it was an impressive catch, but there have been far better ones in NFL history. It's remembered for putting the 49ers in the Super Bowl and finally getting over Dallas after losing to them time and time again in the 70's, starting their dominance in the 80's...while Dallas didn't get back to the Super Bowl for at least another decade. That's why it's so important and retains that name.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad the catch is getting some attention here, after the play that was the part that really amazed me.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 AM    (permalink
sup3rdup3r
Rookie

sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Well I don't think so. I'll admit that I'm biased, however that catch in the 1981 NFC Championship isn't necessarily remembered for how spectacular it was. it was an impressive catch, but there have been far better ones in NFL history. It's remembered for putting the 49ers in the Super Bowl and finally getting over Dallas after losing to them time and time again in the 70's, starting their dominance in the 80's...while Dallas didn't get back to the Super Bowl for at least another decade. That's why it's so important and retains that name.
Ditto. The "catch" has very little to do with the catch itself, but rather what it represents. We don't know what this super bowl holds for the giants, so it would be hard to put it on par with that, but I do think that was one of the greatest plays I've ever seen in my life. Maybe "the scramble", who knows.
sup3rdup3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"The Great Escape" sounds nice to me.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excuse me?

Don't get me wrong, Eli getting out of the sack was a real wow moment, one that stands on its own as an all time great moment.....but Tyree catching that ball was something that you will only see a handful of times in your life.

How many times this year have we seen QBs get out of sticky situations like that? But I can't remember a better catch this year in any game,....and maybe not even in the last several.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh. How many times do you see Eli Manning, or any QB weasel his way away from 4 defenders?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

So you're telling me that a catch that ends one dynasty and starts another, while sending a team to its first Super Bowl is bigger than a catch that 1) WINS the Super Bowl, 2) Ends the only 19-0 bid in NFL history and 3) is faaaar more impressive athletically?

I'm not trying to buzz kill it by comparing it to Clark. My point is that this was the most amazing catch I have seen in a loooong while, and it happened to have occurred IN a Super Bowl, in the waning minutes, and set up the game winning TD.

Plus, "the Great Escape" is not indigenous enough to football to carry the distinction that this moment is worth of, having been used tons of times in other genres.

I'm telling you, this should and likely will go down as one of the legendary moments in all the annals of this great game we love.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 AM    (permalink
sup3rdup3r
Rookie

sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Excuse me?

Don't get me wrong, Eli getting out of the sack was a real wow moment, one that stands on its own as an all time great moment.....but Tyree catching that ball was something that you will only see a handful of times in your life.

How many times this year have we seen QBs get out of sticky situations like that? But I can't remember a better catch this year in any game,....and maybe not even in the last several.
Were you responding to me? I'm not sure. I should have clarified my post a little more. Dwight Clarks "the catch" had very little to do with the catch itself, but what more about what it represents. The fall of the cowboys(in the 80's), the rise of the niners 5 super bowls victories etc etc. I wasn't discrediting the super bowl catch, but I'm just saying, Clarks catch is more than the catch itself.
sup3rdup3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet we will see a couple names thrown out there in the papers tomorrow. I like "The Escape" or "The Great Escape" though. I don't know maybe they will make something better.
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest I "saw the escape" as more ****** tackling than Eli Manning escaping.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about "The Play" ? or "The Completion" ? I feel "The Catch" doesn't give justice to the play Eli made prior to launching it down field.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
How about "The Play" ? or "The Completion" ? I feel "The Catch" doesn't give justice to the play Eli made prior to launching it down field.

"The Play"= Stanford Cal
Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And this was more impressive then McNabb's scramble on Monday Night Football right? I think it ended in a long completion to TO.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look who caught the ball, David frickin Tyree, yea thats who...Thats how you knew it was time for the ball to go in someone else's court and not the Pats, during the reg season nothing like that happens...Harrison played excellent defense on that play, couldnt of been better, it was just time for the run to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"The Great Escape" ftw.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Plus, "the Great Escape" is not indigenous enough to football to carry the distinction that this moment is worth of, having been used tons of times in other genres.
It's still the most memorable part of that play. There's not one person who thought Eli Manning wouldn't be sacked on that play, so just to get the throw off by itself was an amazing play. The catch was amazing too, but it never happens if Eli doesn't escape the pressure. Hence, "The Great Escape".

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I would like to see the catch incorporated into the phrase though. Because it was just a notch below the escape by Manning. I'm sure one clever sports writer across teh nation will help us out.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, "The Completion" kinda covers it all, as a completion means more than just a catch.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Catch will always remain part of 49er and NFL folklore. No way will the meaning change after 26 years. Hell, there's even a Catch 2 (Terrell Owens catch against Green Bay in 1998.

I like what everyone else has been suggesting, "The Great Escape"
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 AM    (permalink
adamprez2003
Rookie

adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.

Quote:
:O
I don't know what y'alls reaction was, but I am simply flabbergasted at the grab that Tyree made on the game winning drive.

I mean, in an age where hyperbole is out of control everywhere you look, the strongest statement I have heard in regard to this play was "it might be one of the best plays in Super Bowl history..."

EXCUSE ME? Here is a catch that 1) is as remarkable a pure "catch" as you will ever see, with the defender trying his balls off to push the ball through the receiver's hands, before WWE-ing the guy across his knee, all while the WR is pinning the ball against his helmet WITH ONE HAND AND somehow managing to prevent the ball from hitting the turf; 2) occurred during the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, with his team down by 4 points, needing a TD, and facing a 4th and long conversion inside their own territory if he doesn't make it.....and that doesn't even include the amazing escape that Eli makes to get the ball off in the first place!!(I'm working myself into a frenzy here)....3) immediatly leads to the game winning score against a previously unbeaten (and supposedly unbeatable) team that is gunning for "best of all time" honors.

Does that cover it? I mean, honestly, what play can you name off of the top of your head that has more going for it? I say that this might be the greatest catch in NFL history--certainly the best that I have witnessed.

Maybe we should come up with a new name for it, but its easily a more noteworthy and remarkable play than what Dwight Clark did, so why not?

Greatest single play I have ever seen in the Super Bowl. Words fail

Eeez Ezpecially Delicious
adamprez2003 is offline   Reply With Quote