Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_dQrqiFIKI

Two catches I think are better than this one. Not better plays, just better catches.

Now a play that rivals this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnfbK...eature=related
The Immaculate Reception.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have always seen the Immaculate reception and heard so much about it, but what were the circumstances during that play?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I have always seen the Immaculate reception and heard so much about it, but what were the circumstances during that play?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception
Old 02-04-2008, 02:13 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ridiculous.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just remember, every time you use the phrase "The Great Escape", you owe d34ng3l0 and I money. I'm just saying. It's being copyrighted as we speak.

Pay us! Now!

In all seriousness though, it was a spectacular effort by Tyree. I think it's a great catch in it's own right. However, you throw in The Great Escape (cha-ching) and it becomes one of the best plays in Super Bowl history.

Of course, I'm probably bias.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:25 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bullcrap. I want in on TGE too.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
So you're telling me that a catch that ends one dynasty and starts another, while sending a team to its first Super Bowl is bigger than a catch that 1) WINS the Super Bowl, 2) Ends the only 19-0 bid in NFL history and 3) is faaaar more impressive athletically?

I'm not trying to buzz kill it by comparing it to Clark. My point is that this was the most amazing catch I have seen in a loooong while, and it happened to have occurred IN a Super Bowl, in the waning minutes, and set up the game winning TD.

Plus, "the Great Escape" is not indigenous enough to football to carry the distinction that this moment is worth of, having been used tons of times in other genres.

I'm telling you, this should and likely will go down as one of the legendary moments in all the annals of this great game we love.
Bottom line is that it's not going take the name "The Catch" away. That has already been set in stone and represents something great in it's own regard. Whether you believe it's better or worse than what we witnessed tonight is simply one person's opinion.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said out loud when Eli somehow got out and launched the ball that if someone catches it the Giants win.

But I think that play is bigger than that. That is a career defining play for Eli, he now has done something that his brother hasnt, he has made the play that won his team a superbowl, Peyton bascially got an MVP by default, Eli won it.

That play was the highlight of the game, probably the best play of the season.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When i saw him pulled by Adalius Thomas i was like: ******* throw it away or make a shuffle pass... but what then happened...WOW.

It shouldnt be the scramble because, well he didnt scramble alot. The Catch? No . Dont disrespect the 9ners and Eli Manning. The Great Escape? Yes. I mean wasnt it Eli who kept the play going?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of the most amazing plays in super bowl history. I dont think it will be as remembered as many of the others because it did not end the game on that moment. But, it sure is one of the greatest.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Won't take credit for this, got it from another board, but I think "The Perfect Reception" (although I still say 'Completion' is more universal for the entire play) has a bit of character to it and dual meaning - basically, the reception that killed the Pats' chance at perfection or at least the peak moment of the drive that did, and secondly, it was anything but a perfect passing play that did it.

Or for that matter, maybe "The Imperfect Reception/Completion" to highlight the latter above meaning but it still references the Pats' quest for perfection by the sheer inclusion of the word perfect.

Last edited by OzTitan : 02-04-2008 at 07:15 AM.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just so happy for Tyree. First of all he, unexpectedly lost his mother a month ago. But besides that Tyree, is basically just a special team guy. I don't know why we never give him more plays on offense or a look as our #3 WR when guys were injured. Over the past 4 years, everytime David Tyree gots on the field, he makes plays.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 AM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I think both parts of the play were amazing we would not be talking about it if the catch was not made.And there would not be a catch if it were not for the great escape.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is just plain silly how amazing that whole play was.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
NYGibril28
Pro Bowler

NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how about, "The Improbable Reception"

Emphasizes how big of an upset this was, yeah, I could be a sportswriter.

G-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

New York Giants
New York Yankees
New York Knicks (unfortunately)
UConn Basketball
Virginia Tech Football
UConn Football
NYGibril28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It so hard to pin that play on just one guy. That play was amazing by both Eli and Tyree. It was simply an amazing play, and probably the greatest play in SB history.

They should call it "The Play"

That entire drive was something else. Maybe its bc im in euphoria right now, but I still can't believe it. What a game.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

That was such an insane catch I have no idea what to think about it...I was actually a little surprised they didn't call Eli down in the pocket for forward progress but oh well....

One of the best catches I can remember seeing recently.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I'm calling that play "The Great Escape" in my next article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It so hard to pin that play on just one guy. That play was amazing by both Eli and Tyree. It was simply an amazing play, and probably the greatest play in SB history.

They should call it "The Play"

That entire drive was something else. Maybe its bc im in euphoria right now, but I still can't believe it. What a game.
"The Play" --> Cal vs Stanford

Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for "The Great Escape". Everyone will know what play you mean, and everyone will know what ensues.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
"The Play" --> Cal vs Stanford
Damn.

The thing is, it has to be a two word phrase. The Catch, The Drive, The Tackle, etc, they were all 2 word phrases.

What 2 words can describe this play in its entirety? I don't know if thats possible. The Escape doesn't discuss the incredible play made by Tyree. The Catch doesn't explain what Eli did.

What 2 words can describe both? This is a hard one.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was a great play and "the great escape" fits it well, but I think people are just overhyping it a bit at this point, it's not the greatest SB play of all time, I can think of a couple more impressive plays and I don't even think that this was the toughest catch to make this year, yes the circumstances were the biggest, but I can think of one catch that would have been flat out harder to make and it was Ronald Curry against Minn. Getting popped from behind and being blanketed by 2 defenders, lost his helmet and still made the catch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8044bca6
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

The Great Escape works so well. Dont know if there could be something to incorporate both the escape and the completion. Hm. I will get my brilliant mind on that.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

"The Impossible" ? I mean impossible concerning ending the Perfect streak, making an impossible catch and making an impossible escape?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubNoize View Post
It was a great play and "the great escape" fits it well, but I think people are just overhyping it a bit at this point, it's not the greatest SB play of all time, I can think of a couple more impressive plays and I don't even think that this was the toughest catch to make this year, yes the circumstances were the biggest, but I can think of one catch that would have been flat out harder to make and it was Ronald Curry against Minn. Getting popped from behind and being blanketed by 2 defenders, lost his helmet and still made the catch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8044bca6
The circumstances buddy. Thats what makes this just so amazing. This would have been another regular and amazing play if it were against the Vikings with nothing on the line.

This play was against the 18-0 Patriots with less than 2 minutes left while they are down by 4. Thats why this play goes down in history, and another of Roethlisberger or Romo's escapes dont.