Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not necessarily on a short leash, but he has no control over his staff, and the players lobbied publicly for a different coach. I'm not sure how much control he will have over staffing and personnel, and there could be better opportunities next season, in theory.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
i think snyder might make a little offer to him but spag wont get a huge offer from snyder... i dont know why spagnuolo would want to come here with coordinators in place and an owner where he knows he has such a short leash
Agreed. Spags would be better off turning the SB performance and how much he is wanted by other teams into a raise with the G-Men. Be DC one more year at a better salary and then weigh his options with head coaching jobs next year.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if the Giants don't win next year, Spags will be in demand somewhere. You never know what will happen. You could see openings in Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Seattle, St. Louis, San Francisco, and even in Washington again. If I had to guess today, I would think there will be 3 coach openings after 2008-2009. Spags should be interviewed for most, if not all, of those openings.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A league source told the Washington Times that Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo doesn't feel ready to be a head coach yet.
Spagnuolo's remarkable and successful Super Bowl game plan undoubtedly upped his head coaching stock in Redskins owner Dan Snyder's eyes. Spags will interview with Snyder on Tuesday, but it seems unlikely that he'll want the job with defensive coordinator Greg Blache already in place.
Just found this about Spags.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

That makes sense, but there's nothing wrong with talking with the Redskins about the opening. I remember John Harbaugh said that after his interview with the Ravens, he felt like he was a better coach.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be a great sign for the skins. He really showed leadership and good coaching last night on @ the super bowl. Everytime the camera was on him he was yelling or clapping his hands...Great coach big hit for the giants though...

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be a great sign for the skins. He really showed leadership and good coaching last night on @ the super bowl. Everytime the camera was on him he was yelling or clapping his hands...Great coach big hit for the giants though...

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no way the skins would sign him just for the simple fact that the coach the skins really want they wont be able to get until next year when he comes out of retirement. Our next coach is going to be someone that has screwed up before and will easy to put all the blame of next season on.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

If I were Spags I'd stay in NY, they got something special going on that defense, and you know, Coughlin ain't coaching forever. With the new trend of future Head Coaches being in place a year ahead of time, Spags would be right there to take the Giants job whenever Coughlin hangs it up. Plus the only old critical player he has is Strahan, and when he's gone Tuck will take over, and then they still got Kiwanuka who is like a Tuck clone but not as strong. He should be able to develop just fine.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
There is no way the skins would sign him just for the simple fact that the coach the skins really want they wont be able to get until next year when he comes out of retirement. Our next coach is going to be someone that has screwed up before and will easy to put all the blame of next season on.
That is probably the most accurate post by a Skins fan I've seen about this topic.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
That is probably the most accurate post by a Skins fan I've seen about this topic.
yea it was pretty accurate, and has Jim Fassel written all over it if thats the case....but Mooch was acting like he had the job the other day so to speak, why would he want a job for one season where he probably is out after this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I live in DC, and the local media has been saying for a month that all of the assistants were hired on the recommendation of Fassel. They talked to Meeks and Mooch to make sure they weren't missing out, but Fassel helped influence their OC and DC hires.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Spags left Washington without a contract. It seems he either turned it down or Washington wants Fassel. Spags is rumored to have a contract on the table from the Giants that makes him the one of the highest paid coordinators in the league.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020604290.html

Interesting article from the Washington Post...

Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I read that earlier. Washington media is really down on the Redskins and Snyder's crappy ownership.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Washington media should be down on Snyder's crappy ownership. I've been down on it for 6 years now, but my opinion never gets any credibility with Skins fans because I'm not a Skins fan.

What would I know? My team preaches fiscal prudence, patience, and building through the draft and with smart contracts to existing players. They keep their coaches long term and promote from within. They jettison problems and keep core players with prudent extensions.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heh, well, I think it would be wise for Spags to come back another year for us. Of course, I'm bias, but I feel like it'll be a good idea for him. Which reminds me, where is Spags from? It kind of sounds like he's got the New Yorker twist when he speaks. Hmm, interesting thing to find out..

No offense to any Redskins fans - but Daniel Snyder is an absolute joke for an owner. I totally respect how he handled the Sean Taylor situation, he did it with a ton of admiration and respect, but in terms of running an NFL franchise he's laughable.

You can't hire a staff before your head coach is hired unless you want a washed up, desperate coach who will take anything as a staff.

I hope we give Spags a big fat contract with a clause saying he'll be the next head coach, much like Seattle did with Mora. Coughlin isn't a young gun, so it wouldn't be a terribly long wait I would assume.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Heh, well, I think it would be wise for Spags to come back another year for us. Of course, I'm bias, but I feel like it'll be a good idea for him. Which reminds me, where is Spags from? It kind of sounds like he's got the New Yorker twist when he speaks. Hmm, interesting thing to find out..

No offense to any Redskins fans - but Daniel Snyder is an absolute joke for an owner. I totally respect how he handled the Sean Taylor situation, he did it with a ton of admiration and respect, but in terms of running an NFL franchise he's laughable.

You can't hire a staff before your head coach is hired unless you want a washed up, desperate coach who will take anything as a staff.

I hope we give Spags a big fat contract with a clause saying he'll be the next head coach, much like Seattle did with Mora. Coughlin isn't a young gun, so it wouldn't be a terribly long wait I would assume.
Spags is from somewhere in New England I believe. Ironic enough.

Also I'm not a fan of making it officially known that someone else is going to be taking over as head coach in a year or two. It can cause problems and undermind the current head coach.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

ESPN radio is now reporting that the Redskins offered Spags the job and Spags turned it down.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL Network bottom line said Spags is staying in NY
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woohoo! We can only hope.

I see what you're saying though, Jug. I don't think it would be a big deal, Spags is a good guy - but I do see your point. Sadly, if it means having Spags as our head coach down the road, and making sure no one else gets his hands on him - then I'm all for it.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A source told the Washington Post that Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo left town at 1AM Thursday without a contract offer.
Source: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redsk...l?nav=rss_blog

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Woohoo! We can only hope.

I see what you're saying though, Jug. I don't think it would be a big deal, Spags is a good guy - but I do see your point. Sadly, if it means having Spags as our head coach down the road, and making sure no one else gets his hands on him - then I'm all for it.
In our situation is doesn't make sense, unless Coughlin plans on hanging it up sooner than we all think. Coughlin is going to get a 4 year extension. I can't see Spags wanting to hang around that long for the head coach job. I would guess this will be his second and last season as Giants' defensive coordinator. But I figured that. Keep his system in place for another year. Get the coaches and players even more familiar with it. Rumors were linebackers coach Bill Sheridan was likely the in house replacement if Spags left.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, perhaps I'm just sad with the fact we'll be losing another brilliant assistant coach to another team.

Not only that, but the defensive players love him.

Well, at least we get him for at least one more year.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is the story from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote