Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Patriots Headed for a Fall?

It happened to all the other super bowl losers (other than seattle) since the year 2000. I didnt look back any further than that.

rams missed the playoffs
oakland hasnt been the same sense
panthers missed the playoffs
bears missed the playoffs
giants missed the playoffs

anyone see it coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?

Last edited by Bengals1690 : 02-07-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i only see it happening if Bellichick gets suspended one year.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and didnt Seattle make the playoffs the next year? The infamous Romo fumble game no? I couldve sworn that was the year following the SB.

I think only Indy, Pats, Seattle, and the Giants are the only 4 teams to make the playoffs each of the last 3 years.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

yea...don't see it happening in that division...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Never, Not with the easiest schedule in the league next year. And especially not with Bellichek at the helm.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
and didnt Seattle make the playoffs the next year? The infamous Romo fumble no?
whoops. missed that one.

Quote:
who dey?
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick

yes seattle went 9-7 and made the playoffs

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia
toddmlazarchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This team is way too talented not to muster at the very least 10-12 wins next season. Unlike past Super Bowl losers this is one of the greatest teams of all time.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

I seriously can see it happening. The letdown after going almost perfect and getting beat by a wild card team might take a serious psychological toll. That defense is aging, too. Asante Samuel is likely gone, I belive Randy Moss is a free agent (either him or welker, Im not sure). And all of the spygate drama that is undoubtedly going to take place this summer will be wearysome.

Quote:
who dey?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I do see them however being less talented this upcoming year if that makes any sense. They have a lot of question marks.

1. Will they resign Randy Moss
2. Theyll probably lose Stallworth
3. Will they bring back Seau and Bruschi?
4. Vrabel continues to age as well as Thomas, and Colvin isn't that great to begin with (basically their whole LB core gets worse with time/age).
5. Theyll probably lose Samuel, unless they choose him over Moss
6. Matt Light gets one year older
7. Harrison gets older, and we don't know if Merriweather is suited for SS in their system

basically age is the main issue.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know about everyone else but I certainly hope so.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They will make the playoffs with their division even if they need to limp in at 8-8.

But that won't happen they will be 10-6 at the absolute worst...they will most likely go 13-3.

But i hope they are awfull

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

Last edited by DeathbyStat : 02-07-2008 at 05:11 PM.
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
I do see them however being less talented this upcoming year if that makes any sense. They have a lot of question marks.

1. Will they resign Randy Moss
2. Theyll probably lose Stallworth
3. Will they bring back Seau and Bruschi?
4. Vrabel continues to age as well as Thomas, and Colvin isn't that great to begin with (basically their whole LB core gets worse with time/age).
5. Theyll probably lose Samuel, unless they choose him over Moss
6. Matt Light gets one year older
7. Harrison gets older, and we don't know if Merriweather is suited for SS in their system

basically age is the main issue.
1. Moss should be back, although Im not sold on him yet. He said he only want to play with the Patriots.
2. Stallworth should be gone. Chad Jackson and Jabar Gaffney should fill in.
3. Seau? Its a toss up. Bruschi, I think hes got at least one left.
4. Vrabel and Thomas are still good for a couple more years, I look for them to draft an OLB this year to get younger. Colvin is a solid OLB.
5. Samuel is great, but he is a zone cover corner, and can be replaced. Although it will be a loss that will be missed.
6. Matt Light is fine, as is the OL. Every year, everyone gets one year older.
7. Im most worried about the safeties. I thought higher of Gene WIlson before, but I dont know now. Woudnt be surprised to see Kenny Phillips or Reggie Smith get drafted this year. I think Merriweather will work out to be be a corner with NE.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They still got Tom Brady, so yes.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
1. Moss should be back, although Im not sold on him yet. He said he only want to play with the Patriots.
2. Stallworth should be gone. Chad Jackson and Jabar Gaffney should fill in.
3. Seau? Its a toss up. Bruschi, I think hes got at least one left.
4. Vrabel and Thomas are still good for a couple more years, I look for them to draft an OLB this year to get younger. Colvin is a solid OLB.
5. Samuel is great, but he is a zone cover corner, and can be replaced. Although it will be a loss that will be missed.
6. Matt Light is fine, as is the OL. Every year, everyone gets one year older.
7. Im most worried about the safeties. I thought higher of Gene WIlson before, but I dont know now. Woudnt be surprised to see Kenny Phillips or Reggie Smith get drafted this year. I think Merriweather will work out to be be a corner with NE.
The draft is gonna be key for them. They have the ammo, they can get better at pass rusher (Harvey or Gholston) and can nab a CB in round 2 (if Samuel is gone, they might need 2 CBs though). Oh and Colvin is good, solid, but for a team that doesn't blitz much, they need more pass rush than he offers.

ILB is easily replaceable. Safety though, like you said, might be an issue.

Come to think of it, with a good draft, they might actually get better with some youth.

I stand corrected, maybe, depending on their draft.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're going to have to see a major improvement from at least one other AFC East team for it to be possible. All good streaks end at some point, but the Pats are still a very talented, very well coached, and very motivated team (probably more now than ever).

I'm not sure if they'll produce another season like the one they just had, but they are still easily the best team in the AFC East.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as Belicheck is there cheating then they'll continue to win.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They only needed half of the 16 games they won to win the division last year. I think it's pretty safe to say they're a lock.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
We're going to have to see a major improvement from at least one other AFC East team for it to be possible. All good streaks end at some point, but the Pats are still a very talented, very well coached, and very motivated team (probably more now than ever).

I'm not sure if they'll produce another season like the one they just had, but they are still easily the best team in the AFC East.
Exactly. No one in their division can challenge them. Unless they have some terrible terrible injuries it's not happening.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a little reminder... Who saw the Browns coming last season? Or the Saints 2 years ago? There always seems to be one team that comes out of nowhere to make a push at the playoffs, I just can't see a reason to completely rule out that happening in the AFC East.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They will make the playoffs, but I think they won't be great. Their team this year was built to win in the short term. They, uncharacteristically I might add, added big name players in order to win Super Bowl XLII. I think their offense will still be fantastic; however, I think that defense will hold them back from being as good as they were this year. You have an old and nonathletic LB corp. and a mediocre at best secondary that might lose its best player.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The draft is gonna be key for them. They have the ammo, they can get better at pass rusher (Harvey or Gholston) and can nab a CB in round 2 (if Samuel is gone, they might need 2 CBs though). Oh and Colvin is good, solid, but for a team that doesn't blitz much, they need more pass rush than he offers.

ILB is easily replaceable. Safety though, like you said, might be an issue.

Come to think of it, with a good draft, they might actually get better with some youth.

I stand corrected, maybe, depending on their draft.
Yeah, I agree. With a solid draft this year, I think they could easily revamp things. If they were able to nab a Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, that helps immediately, and alot. If they are able to grab a solid corner in round 2, that helps alot. Safety, Im up in the air about. Merriweather seems like hes slowly making the transition to CB, and in that case, I think safety needs to be adressed before CB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
They will make the playoffs, but I think they won't be great. Their team this year was built to win in the short term. They, uncharacteristically I might add, added big name players in order to win Super Bowl XLII. I think their offense will still be fantastic; however, I think that defense will hold them back from being as good as they were this year. You have an old and nonathletic LB corp. and a mediocre at best secondary that might lose its best player.
The LB's can get by with another year. Thomas and Bruschi in the middle, and Vrabel and Colvin outside (could be Gholston as well). The DL is fine. The secondary needs some looks regardless. Especially if Asante leaves. Safeties need adjusting. I think they need to draft a safety who they think can take over from Rodney.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They will be very good but not even near as good as they were this year. Seriously, the pieces were all aligned perfectly for them this year. Being in the free agency era it is simply amazing what they were able to fit in under the cap this year but there will be a few pieces from this year missing next year. I'm thinking 13-3 or 14-2. But like it was stated earlier, what they do with the draft makes a large difference.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
vatech=accdomination
All-Pro

vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
As long as Belicheck is there cheating then they'll continue to win.

ding ding ding ding ding. I cannot believe how easy Belicheat would have gotten off if it had not been for this guy coming to light recently, at least now Goodell cant help him get away with it.

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....
vatech=accdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they tag Moss and try to make another final push before you start to notice a large drop off. I think it will happen not next year but the year after. I do think they lose some chemistry and momentum and lose the AFC championship game next year though.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote