Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 AM    (permalink

I would take the Panthers or Falcons to beat them. Not the Pack or Rams. The Rams defense is terrible and the Packers have beat no one. I thought the Panthers and Falcons were eliminated already though before this game.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:57 AM    (permalink
cheesehead10790
Veteran

cheesehead10790 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
I would take the Panthers or Falcons to beat them. Not the Pack or Rams. The Rams defense is terrible and the Packers have beat no one. I thought the Panthers and Falcons were eliminated already though before this game.
The Pack could take care of the Giants.

Rams are iffy but Id even put money on them to beat NY.

^tek
cheesehead10790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
I don't know, they were the last four in it though. I was just saying that I'd take them in a head to head game not that they are more deserving of a playoff spot.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everything is going right but the Vikings...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:50 PM    (permalink
cheesehead10790
Veteran

cheesehead10790 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

and Houston and Carolina and Detroit

^tek
cheesehead10790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well, good season, it was better than many expected actually. hopefully the packers will be back next year to make a deserving push for the playoffs. I guess i will look on the bright side, and that is that the pack beat the vikings twice.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:10 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804
I'm 90 percent sure the resurgent Redskins will beat the Strahan, Shockey-less Giants.
nice prediction.. that 10 % just had to become true.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:30 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead10790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead10790
I dont want to sound like a bad sport here but the Giants dont deserve the playoffs. They fell apart and always kill themselves. A young refreshing team like the Packers has a much better shot at a win in the playoffs than the g men.

*********** Redskins... :evil:
The Packers haven't beaten a playoff team all year. Everytime they've faced tough competition they've gotten thumped. Drowe is right.
How could I forget how the Bears dominated their tough schedule :roll:

Chicago has only beaten 2 playoff teams and neither one are playoff deserving.
Actually three. We were 3-1 against playoff teams this year. Not too bad.

And there is a difference between 13-2 and 7-8. If the Packers had more wins they wouldn't need a strength of victory tiebreaker.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

I like where this team is going. Nearly everyone is young -- only 2 players on defense 30 or older (the next oldest starter is 27) and only 3 starters 30 or older on offense,

The O-Line is looking very solid, and the three youngings (Wells (25), Spitz (24), and Colledge (24)) in the middle well only get better as time passes. Tauscher (29) is steady. Clifton (30) is somewhat of a concern, hopefully his knees can regain stength this offseason.

The D-Line is looking very good. Jenkins at DE has really added a new demension to this line. Kampman is solid as rock. Pickett is good. And all are about to enter their prime -- they are 25, 27, and 27, respectively. Add in Corey Williams (26), Colin Cole (26), Mike Montgomery (23), and Johnny Jolly (23), and this group will be solid for the next 6 or so years.

To reflect on this past two paragraphs, remember that the game is won and lost in the trenches.

The starting linebackers are: MLB Nick Barnett (25) -- solid, dependable, still some potential, WLB AJ Hawk (23) -- strong, fast, showing flashes, and SSLB Brady Poppinga (27) -- strong, stout, and maniacal. Hawk will be a star in 2 or 3 years. If Abdul Hodge (24) makes it apparent he deserves to start, Barnett would slide over to SSLB -- a move that can only be made if he is given an extension. This group also has a bright future for about the next 8 years.

The skill positions are not as deep. Favre (37) will most likely come back and be serviceable for one more year. Hopefully Rodgers (23) shows some noticeable improvement next preseason. Green (29) may or may not be resigned -- he could ay be a reliable member of a running back by commitee situation for the next 3 years -- but not a feature back. Morency (26) is a great change-of-pace back, but also not a feature back. Miree (25) is decent and improving. Driver (31) may have a Rod Smith type career (have his best years starting at age 30 and playing at a high level for the next 5 years). Jennings (23) has a bright future. Martin (24) and Holiday (25) are good #4s. A good third receiver would be a great addition. All the TEs are nothing to write home about. Franks (28) is a better tackle than he is a TE, Martin (27) is too much potential and not enough.. actually good. Lee (26) is serviceable on occasion. Teams have figured out Franks is in there to block, and the other two to catch -- we need one TE that can do both.

The secondary is the oldest and least deep grouping. Harris (32) and Woodson (30) can't be counted on for much longer (say, 2 years). Collins (23) has had a sophomore slump, but will improve. Manuel (27) is rounding out, but nothing more than decent. CB may not need to be addressed this year, but it is apparent that Manuel could easily be replaced. Nickel back Dendy (24) is more of a dime back. Blackmon (22) is a wild card and could be a good nickel back if he can recover from his recurring injuries. Culver (23) and Underwood (24) could either be the answer at SS, but that remains unknown.

And that's all I gotta say about that.
ny10804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Man i really wished the pack had made the playoffs. but it is offical, with the Vikes losing we are out.

looks like the vikes screwed us again.
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:08 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidrunner
Man i really wished the pack had made the playoffs. but it is offical, with the Vikes losing we are out.

looks like the vikes screwed us again.
At least 3 others had the wrong outcome also. Had the Giants lost we would have been in with a win because we have a tiebreaker over STL but that means nothing now. Im not really even excited about the game.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

yea tell me about it. the game does not sound too exciting. oh well i might as well go and get drunk for new years.
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Brett crying in the post-game interview wasn't the most reassuring sight in reference to my prediction that he'd come back.

Here's my tidbits on the game:
  • - Cullen Jenkins was on and off, but mostly on; sometimes he wasn't great against the run, (he got pancaked early on the first or second series -- it looked bad), but he finished with at least 3 knockdowns and even more hurries. Overall, he played well and needs to be resigned.

- Brett Favre looked like Brett Favre circa 2003, if that means anything...

- The D-Line as a whole brought good pressure, got 2 sacks, and directly forced (IIRC) 3 of the 5 interceptions.

- If tonight serves as any indication, Ruvell Martin could very well be the 3rd WR next year. That is nowhere near guaranteed, though.

- Nick Collins looked like Ed Reed. Incredible tonight.

- Barnett was good. (remember the first play of the game? ver' nice).

- Hawk was nothing special -- I skipped a beat when that ball came right at him, but, fortunately, he held on.

- Secondary was incredible for all but one play. On that play another miscommunication (Dendy thinking Manuel was playing deep half) cost us a 75-yard touchdown.

How the Pack can be a real force next year:
- Brett comes back
- Resign Jenkins, Corey Williams, and Ahman (1-yr deal)
- Sign Tony Gonzalez
- Draft either a RB, S, WR, or CB high
- Address the CB situation in either the draft of free agency
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

congratulations...

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Empire hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

My free agent wishes from biggest want to least. Not saying these are the most important to the Packers, but they would really be great additions for next year. Feel free to comment

1. Michael Turner
2. Ken Hamlin
3. Lance Briggs
4. DJ Hackett

Some may question DJ Hackett but I really love the guy. I think he could become a very good receiver one day. The Seahawks have a ton of receivers so we may be able to get him for cheap.

Although it's very unlikely we get all or even three of these guys, I think getting one or two would really help the 2007 Packers.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 PM    (permalink
jmanz
Rookie

jmanz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

nice win guys
jmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:45 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Here are my thoughts about how we'll look next year.

We were one team away from the playoffs with plenty of winable games that we just didn't pull off. Hopefully Fave and TT see that. 2 weeks ago I was more certain than the past 2 years that he would be back now I'm seriously thinking that was it. Saying he comes back we have a great chance for playoffs and maybe even do something when we are there. TT did a good job with Woodson last year but he needs to go bigger this year. I believe we have close to $30 million in cap space assuming Favre's back. So let's start on offense. TE - I think we're all agreed that Franks isn't cutting it anymore. I know that a lot of you were against going after Gonzalez but I think it would be a good signing. He is still a top five TE and would be a good receiving target. Then WR - Driver and Jennings are obviously 1 and 2 then I think Martin has improved and showed some progress and could be a decent #3. Now going after a guy like Drew Bennet wouldn't be a bad idea but I think with the addition of Gonzalez it lessens the need and we pass on him. This could go either way but I'll say Ferguson's back. Next we got RB - this could be interesting, I think we let Green go and sign Turner. He paired with Morency would give us not a great run game but a good one. Drafting Lynch wouldn't be a bad opption but then we can save our draft pick. QB- I am assuming that Favre is back for the purpose of this so we are fine here. OL- I believe we have nothing to upgrade here. our interior is young and learning fast and playing well and our Tackles are fine for now. Clifton may be declining but he should certainly be fine for next year and Moll has shown that he is capable of starting when needed.

Now for Defense. DE - While a lot of people are wanting improvement to the position, I don't think we do. There is no FA that will be available to us that is an upgrade and there isn't a first round DE I like either. Maybe addressed in rounds 2-5 but I'm only giving names for FAs and the 1st round as I'm not doing a mock draft. It'll stay with Kampman on one side and Jenkins on the other with KGB on pass downs. DT - I wouldn't be totally opposed to getting a top DT in the draft but we have more pressing needs. Branch will be gone but Okoye intrests me. In the end we stay with Pickett and Corey Williams and the young rotation that we have there. LB - Hawk and Barnett are solid and young no need to change them. Poppinga I think would be fine to start again next year but why not add someone to improve? No, not Briggs I'm talking about Adalius Thomas. It's a lot of money tied up at LB but we'd easily have the best in the league and it would help the DE as they would have 3 great tacklers behind them. CB- Woodson and Harris are the oldest on our defense but are still only 30 and 32 and playing at a probowl level. That means no upgrade this offseason. Behind them is question about but I think we'll be fine. Dendy has played well at nickle and is certainly better than Carrol. I don't think he's the long term answer but he'll be fine. Blackmon has been hurt all season but if he can stay healthy he could even challenge for the Nickleback spot. another will probably be picked up in rounds 3-6 for depth. S - Nick Collins had a bit of a down year compared to last year but he is still a good starter and should improve. Manuel has blown coverages and at times has trouble wrapping up. I like the depth with Culver who has been good when in but needs to improve and Underwood who was injured but was challenging to start in preseason. With that said I haved used the round one pick so here is where it lands. Landry would be my #1 with Nelson being the fallback. We could go after Hamlin in FA but this should be the better option.

Special Teams. K-Rayner stuggled at Chicago but other than that has been good. The hasn't been a time were I wished we still had Longwell. P -Like Rayner, Ryan has a leg. I prefer seeing his long line drives than BJ's floaters that went 20 yards. Once again no need to upgrade. KR/PR - Assuming Blackmon comes back he would probably take over these duties. Morency is alright on KRs but Woodson scares me on PRs. I would hate to see him go down for the season on a return considering his injury history. Drafting a guy wouldn/t be out of the question but after the Corey Rodgers thing this year I think we bank on the fact that Blackmon will do it and if not stick with Morency/Woodson.

So our roster would be

QB-Favre/Rodgers/Martin
RB-Turner/Morency
WR-Driver/Jennings/Martin/(Ferguson, Holidaye, Francies, drafted wr from round 2-5)
TE-Gonzalez/Franks/Lee
T-Clifton/Moll
G-Colledge
C-Wells
G-Spitz
T-Tauscher
with Moll to fill in when needed

DE-Jenkins/KGB
DT-Pickett
DT-Williams and rest of rotation
DE-Kampman
LB-Thomas
LB-Barnett
LB- Hawk
CB-Harris/Dendy
CB-Woodson/Blackmon
S-Collins/Underwood
S-Landry or Nelson/Culver

K-Rayner
P-Ryan
KR-Blackmon/Morency
PR-Blackmon/Woodson

That is definately a playoff team in the NFC and could even contend.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:57 PM    (permalink
CARDIAC CAT 7
Rookie

CARDIAC CAT 7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

- Brett comes back
- Sign Tony Gonzalez

Love this list ny10804, except one thing. They should draft Zach Miller or Greg Olson (which ever one comes out early) in the second round, plus I doubt that KC would let Tony G go.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDIAC CAT 7
- Brett comes back
- Sign Tony Gonzalez

Love this list ny10804, except one thing. They should draft Zach Miller or Greg Olson (which ever one comes out early) in the second round, plus I doubt that KC would let Tony G go.
The thing is you know for a fact what you're getting in Tony Gonzalez, you can't say that about rookies, especially in a position where experience, awareness, and intangibles are key.

As for KC not letting him go, they'll probably franchise him, but there's still a good chance they'll let him go to save money for when LJ becomes a UFA next year.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 AM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

BTW, we'll be picking 15th this year. Scott put up the final order from 1-19, as the final playoff teams position is subject to change by their playoff results. link
Old 01-01-2007, 12:17 AM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

Fellas,

Brett is done. Did you not listen to him tonight?

You're in denial if you think he's not done.

He never cries like that. Not even when interviewed about Irv's death.
And when Andrea Kramer asked him what a game LIKE THIS does for his decision, he said it "makes it HARDER".

that's right, it's harder to walk away now knowing that we are capable of spaking the NFCs #1 team. that HE is still capable of leading us.

if he was coming back, a game like this would have made his decision EASIER. he didn't say that.

I'm sad as hell, but he's done.
Did you appreciate him while he was here?
Did you cherish him?

I already miss him.

Standing on the 20-yard line with a group of teammates, Favre got choked up during a TV interview, saying he would decide "soon" whether he would return next season.

"It's tough. It's tough," Favre said. "I'm going to miss these guys and miss the game."

Still, Favre stopped short of saying he would retire. And the prevailing sentiment seems to be, why wouldn't he return?

After a fairly successful season in which he helped the Packers rebound from last year's 4-12 fiasco -- their first losing season with Favre under center -- to win their final four games and finish 8-8, teammates, opponents and even Favre's own family have said that they see no reason why he should retire.

He still has milestone to pursue: After completing 21 of 42 passes for 285 yards and a touchdown, Favre is only seven touchdown passes shy of breaking Dan Marino's career mark of 420. With the Packers' victory, Favre tied Marino for No. 2 in career victories (147) and is only one away from tying John Elway for the record.

And unlike last offseason, Favre won't have to decide whether he wants to play for a new coach and learn a new offense.

But while Favre maintains that he still enjoys loves to play, he doesn't seem quite as convinced as everybody else that he should keep playing. He exchanged handshakes and hugs with teammates before he was pulled in favor of backup quarterback Ingle Martin with less than two minutes remaining in the game.

Favre's left ankle has been bothering him since before the beginning of training camp and likely will require surgery in the offseason. He has hinted that the weekly grind of practices are beginning to wear him down.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

I get the feeling he think he's done right now, but when he starts thinking about it more rationally in the coming weeks I think he will realize it's best to come back.

The Packers were basically the next team in the playoffs, and that with the youngest team in the NFL. A lot of the losses early in the season were due to inexperience. I think the Packers biggest improvement for next year will not come from a free agent or a rookie but from the growth and experience of the young Packer players.

Favre will play for only one reason next year, if he thinks the Packers are capable of competing for the Super Bowl. With the current state of the NFC I see no reason why the Packers won't be competitive next year with a couple additions.

Plus Favre will make a ton of money next year. Sure he doesn't care about the money, but it probably won't hurt.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 AM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Here's the Packers schedule next year:

Home
Eagles
Redskins
Raiders
Chargers
Saints
Falcons
Buccaneers
Panthers

Away
Cowboys
Giants
Broncos
Chiefs
Seahawks
Rams
49ers
Cardinals

Predictions? I think the Packers will win the bolded games for a final record of 11-5. Sure some of them may seem a little tough but with a couple more playmakers for the offense and the growth of the youngest team in the NFL over the course of the year, I see no reason why they can't win those games.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:13 AM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

theres a tidbit on profootballtalk.com that says that sharper might be out in minni...would you guys give him a shot or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:27 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

LETS HEAR IT FOR BRETT ******* FAVRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a stud.. even if he does hang em up he went out in style, beating everyone in the NFC north one more time. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COME BACK....

is #4 done?

please jesus, God, micheal jackson, gerald Ford, vince , and chuck norris, don;t retire.

they get smoked.