Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2010, 05:01 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
The only way Favre legitimately affected the Packers was by helping his new team this year beat us twice and win the division, which a lot of people seemed to think would have happened anyway.
I highly, highly doubt it.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bringing up Brett Favre is alwyas going to stir up some bad emotions
So lets shift gears.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

New punter... from Australia!

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Regular View Post
Bringing up Brett Favre is alwyas going to stir up some bad emotions
So lets shift gears.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

New punter... from Australia!
A 6'5" left-footed Australian. I love it.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Hate to open this can of worms - If I have to watch Favre and [...]
I am dumb.

That Aussie punter we signed is 6'5" 215 lbs, cool I guess. Another lefty, why do we like lefties so much? We signed him to a 3 year deal. He better not suck like all our punters since we cut Jon Ryan for some reason. Better than using a draft pick on a college kid. Just bring in some soccer player who's been practicing with an oblong ball.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am dumb.

That Aussie punter we signed is 6'5" 215 lbs, cool I guess. Another lefty, why do we like lefties so much? We signed him to a 3 year deal. He better not suck like all our punters since we cut Jon Ryan for some reason. Better than using a draft pick on a college kid. Just bring in some soccer player who's been practicing with an oblong ball.
The ball spins a different way off a lefty which makes it harder for the returner to handle.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am dumb.

Lefties give you the reverse spin, more likely to fumble.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post

This game helps.
That was Brett.

This is Brent.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thought if the Packers should take a chance on Shawn Andrews? Of course I first would like to know if he is in football shape, or he can still play.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:18 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He hasn't played a game since September 2008. His injuries are too serious. If he was worth anything the Eagles wouldn't have cut him.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
He hasn't played a game since September 2008. His injuries are too serious. If he was worth anything the Eagles wouldn't have cut him.
I think its his contract that caused them to cut him.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Injuries and depression? Not even worth the hassle if you ask me. This guy has little dedication to the game. Not someone I'd want on my team. Plus wasn't he strickly on the right side in Philly? I'd much rather keep developing Sitton and find a long term solution at RT.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

He's not worth the risk at all.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jim View Post
He's not worth the risk at all.
If a guy is suffering from depression, there's more to worry about than his skills. You have to wonder if his mind is really going to be focused on football or if he's hungry enough to be an NFL starter. Risker greater than the reward.

Totally different situation, but I compare it kind of to Antonio Cromartie. He has 7 children with 6 different ladies. Young and great talent, but there is heavy baggage. How can you, or any person with a conscious I should say, focus solely on football when your personal life has so much going on.

I root for both guys, but have to pass.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Journal Sentinel today had an article about this Aussie punter. He looks impressive but has never punted in competitive American football. The article had some NFL executive I think it was, saying Green Bay's punting situation is a complete mess...Hmm, we'll see I suppose.

EDIT: Ah, here's the quote:

Quote:
"It just really seems they don't know what they're doing up there with the kicking personnel," one special-teams coach said. "I don't know what they're going to do. They shouldn't have let Jon Ryan go."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/88013147.html

Last edited by Whistler6 : 03-17-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
The Journal Sentinel today had an article about this Aussie punter. He looks impressive but has never punted in competitive American football. The article had some NFL executive I think it was, saying Green Bay's punting situation is a complete mess and this is a desperate move...Hmm, we'll see I suppose.
I think the Dolphins or someone signed an Australian punter last year to a 3 year deal and cut him in training camp. The Packers probably just want to get a look at this guy and if he works out they have him locked up cheap for 3 years. I'm kind of expecting us to draft a punter and watch while some fans chastise TT because of Shermans bust with Sander.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

I don't remember exactly, but I think I was the most frustrated with the pick because Sherman spent a 3rd round pick on the guy. He won the Ray Guy Award and boomed the ball in college (43.5 net), but it's hard to swallow a 3rd round pick being wasted on a punter.

What was the criticism mainly about... The round he was drafted in, only being a starter for 1 year in college? I'm almost ashamed to be spending this much time dicussing punters. But as we've seen, they are crucial to a team's success.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will the Thrills return to the Packer Punt Return team?

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2010 10:17 AM ET
Cornerback Will Blackmon has signed his one-year tender offer and will stick with the Green Bay Packers.

Blackmon, a restricted free agent tendered at the original-round level, signed the tender Monday prior to the start of the Packers' offseason workout program, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Blackmon's 2009 season ended when he suffered a serious knee injury in a Monday night loss to the Vikings in October.

Signing the tender gives Blackmon a $1.176 million salary in 2010.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Restricted free agents don't mean anything seeing they need to be on the 53 man roster in order to be paid. Its just securing their rights for the time being which is why pretty much every restricted free agent of ours was tendered an offer.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

So the quiet offseason thus far begs the question: If Green Bay goes into the 2010 season with the exact same team plus a few new members from only the draft, are they good enough to actually contend for a superbowl?

I want to believe the are, and I'm forcing myself to say "yes" to that question. Still, I do remember the rough start to this past season, and the Cardinals torching our defense through the air gives me nightmares to this day...

Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
Restricted free agents don't mean anything seeing they need to be on the 53 man roster in order to be paid. Its just securing their rights for the time being which is why pretty much every restricted free agent of ours was tendered an offer.
Does anyone think some team will offer a 4th for Blackmon? Would it be worth it to accept that? Blackmon has shown flashes and I remember being geeked when he was drafted out of BC, but he seems stuck in his progression as a CB. I suppose injuries will do that. If he can provide a spark to the special teams for a full season, then I'm more than okay with that $1.7 mil salary.

Last edited by Whistler6 : 03-19-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:23 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
So the quiet offseason thus far begs the question: If Green Bay goes into the 2010 season with the exact same team plus a few new members from only the draft, are they good enough to actually contend for a superbowl?

I want to believe the are, and I'm forcing myself to say "yes" to that question. Still, I do remember the rough start to this past season, and the Cardinals torching our defense through the air gives me nightmares to this day...
Yes.

Last year was our first year in the 3-4, so we won't have the learning curve we'd had.

The team in general will be a year older, and considering how youthful we are overall, that's a good thing. Guys like Finley, Raji, and Jones should be better.

The offensive line can't be nearly as bad as it was in the beginning of last year. It just can't.

Of Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, and anybody we draft, somebody is bound to turn into a better nickelback than Jarrett Bush.

The only player we lost was Aaron Kampman, and I think our defense is better with Jones in the lineup anyway.

There's always the chance for impact rookies, which Thompson has a pretty good track record for drafting.

Obviously, that's not to say we will be better, but we definitely have the potential to be. Considering where the team was last year, better means contending for a Superbowl.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's the thing: Our best player on defense is Charles Woodson. He's been amazingly durable. That could easily change. People take his health for granted I think. You have to remember he was injury-prone before we got him.
The law of averages says don't count on 16 more starts for him, and you think it was bad missing our #2 CB Harris? What would it look like without Woodson?

On offense, we've been remarkably healthy at the skill positions. Rodgers missing 0 starts in 2 seasons.... Grant, Driver and Jennings have been very fortunate.

What's gonna happen if some of those guys go down? Other teams lose QBs for a game here or couple games there. Remember our WR's in the late 90's? Tons of injuries.

So the injury situation is something you can't predict, but expect some. We all know it can de-rail a season.

As far as natural improvement goes: I expect some on the DL and OLB. The offense is phenomenal and that should continue.

I still don't have any faith in any of the young CB's. Ted seems to have a problem drafting that position for some reason. Maybe his 5-11 rule, I don't know. But we don't have anyone that he's drafted who can cover.

The special teams HAS to be better right?

By the way, we had the team to contend for a Super Bowl LAST season. We just couldn't stop a good passer, and part of that is on Capers. He had as much talent on D as Greg Williams in Nawlins did, IMO.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The special teams HAS to be better right?
Can Crosby rebound and be consistent? Will someone step up and provide a spark to the return game? Will they continue to give up big returns? Will a free agent punter who has never punted in American football be a legit NFL punter? If, if, if, if... It scares me.

You make a great point about injuries though. Somehow they powered through season enders to Al Harris and Kampman along with guys like Blackmon, so we'll see. If Woodson or Rodgers goes down though, they are through.

That is the same with almost any NFL team. You take away their QB, RB, or star defensive player and they can be the Rams almost instantly. I don't even want to consider it. But that's also another reason I love the depth and D-line and resigning of Pickett.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

As long as Rodgers is under center for 16 games we'll be alright. Everything else you can adjust too as the season progresses.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
As long as Rodgers is under center for 16 games we'll be alright. Everything else you can adjust too as the season progresses.
That's pretty true, except losing a bunch of key WR's will also throw off the offense. It happened to the Packers even during their Super Bowl seasons with Farve. It got so bad they had to bring in a new starter in Andre Rison. Today, that would never happen. Ted would bring in another Josh Bell. Seriously. That's not a rip, it's just a different philosophy he has taken from Ron Wolf.