Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Walden was named NFC Defensive player of the week.

http://blog.packers.com/2011/01/05/w...r-of-the-week/

Not bad for a guy who was looking for a team in the middle of the season

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers signed LS Brett Goode to a two-year, $1.6 million extension through 2012.

I like our approach so far in getting our free agents locked up.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
by inconsistent I mean that he has flashes of brilliance, and the skill is obviously there, but for whatever reason the dude seems to have trouble with drops and fumbles, and is lazy when it comes to jumpballs. I wasn't talking about yardage/td production
Jones has three fumbles this year. It's not like he has some crazy number where he fumbles all the time. That's more than you'd like, but it's not something to be overly concerned about. Jordy Nelson also has 3 this year, and you never hear anything said about him, Greg Jennings has two this year and Driver has one. The fact that he had the one to lose the Bears game is what's sticking in people's minds, making it seem like a bigger problem than it is. In 2008 and 2009 he didn't have a single fumble either, so it's not like it's always a problem with him. As for drops, I don't have the stats for that, but I bet Jennings and Driver are close or even have more than he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I know what you mean already, it doesn't make a difference.
Alright, so why bring it up. It doesn't matter.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Jones has three fumbles this year. It's not like he has some crazy number where he fumbles all the time. That's more than you'd like, but it's not something to be overly concerned about. Jordy Nelson also has 3 this year, and you never hear anything said about him, Greg Jennings has two this year and Driver has one. The fact that he had the one to lose the Bears game is what's sticking in people's minds, making it seem like a bigger problem than it is. In 2008 and 2009 he didn't have a single fumble either, so it's not like it's always a problem with him. As for drops, I don't have the stats for that, but I bet Jennings and Driver are close or even have more than he does.

I remember 2 fumbles in the Bears game in 09; I have a problem with his hands when the weather turns cold. He could be a very good wideout for a team that plays somewhere warm and he doesn't have to worry about catching wet balls.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Being healthy doesn't matter? Keep repeating yourself.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I remember 2 fumbles in the Bears game in 09; I have a problem with his hands when the weather turns cold. He could be a very good wideout for a team that plays somewhere warm and he doesn't have to worry about catching wet balls.
Jones fumbled 2 times in the 07 season, at home, vs the Bears in October on primetime, both in the first half, back to back possessions in the red zone.

It kept the score from being about 35-7 to only like 21-10 or something, and then we lost in the 2nd half. One of our 3 losses that season.

I like him, but he's had bad moments in Bears games since entering the league. More evidence of the Bears luck. (No really, they teach a special way of stripping the football that no other team does).
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That was 2007, his rookie year, the first week of October. Every WR is going to fumble sometimes. Jones had has two seasons with three and two with none. Jordy Nelson has 3 fumbles each of the past two years no one ever brings up his fumbling problems. Jones' might fumble slightly more than the average WR, but it's not that much of a difference.

According to this he had 6 dropped passes, which tied for 24th in the NFL. As I thought, Donald Driver is ahead of him with 7. No one ever gets on Driver for his hands. And I'll definitely put up with 6 drops for the 50 that he caught. Look at the other players on those lists, a lot of notable names. You don't part with a receiver because of a few drops. I don't buy the whole he can't play in cold weather argument either. I couldn't find any stats that break down the drops by each game, but I doubt there's much of a difference between warm and cold.

Both announcers and JSOnline have gotten on him for him being inconsistent, and I do think that's the reason some fans are now thinking that too, but there's not a whole lot to back that up.

Honestly it's completely ridiculous to not care if he's back or not. The only reason he wouldn't be back is if his price gets way too high. Other teams are going to see his value and there will be plenty of suitors. Unless his market price is extremely unreasonable he needs to be brought back.

Quote:
Being healthy doesn't matter? Keep repeating yourself.
No, their past injury history doesn't matter. Going forward Hawk is just as likely to have a season ending injury as Barnett is. I've already explained that. I shouldn't have to keep repeating myself, but apparently I do.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta have Jones back next year, love the guy. Guaranteed he would flourish as a number one in a lot of offenses. Same with Kuhn, gotta keep him. TT could probably afford to get rid of Korey Hall, I like him, but he is hurt quite a bit, and he is not nearly as dynamic as Kuhn or as massive as Quinn.

Cullen Jenkins is a beast but I am just not sure if TT keeps him, I hope he does but I feel that with Neal coming back and Wilson getting some reps and maybe adding another young guy in the draft, the Pack could probably go without Cullen.

I really hope Johnny Jolly has kept himself in shape, I would like to see the Pack give him a second chance. I think a year away from football should be enough to keep him from drinkin that purple drank....I hope... I think an in shape Jolly would make a lot of people forget about Cullen.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't dump Cullen for a 50/50 Jolly, Neal, and Wilson. Cullen was our best d-linemen before the injury. Raji stepped up, but there is no replace Cullen.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't dump Cullen for a 50/50 Jolly, Neal, and Wilson. Cullen was our best d-linemen before the injury. Raji stepped up, but there is no replace Cullen.
Raji has grown into his potential, which is much more then simply "stepping up."

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Both announcers and JSOnline have gotten on him for him being inconsistent, and I do think that's the reason some fans are now thinking that too, but there's not a whole lot to back that up.

Honestly it's completely ridiculous to not care if he's back or not. The only reason he wouldn't be back is if his price gets way too high. Other teams are going to see his value and there will be plenty of suitors. Unless his market price is extremely unreasonable he needs to be brought back.

I'm not basing my thoughts based on JSOnline, etc. Something about Jones just doesn't sit right with me. He obviously has the talent but it's like he doesn't show up on certain plays, etc, as if he's not giving 100%. I assume with a bigger role(replacing DD) he could step up and blossom. As far as letting him go or bring him back, I'm more apathetic to it. Obviously, if he agrees to return on a very reasonable deal, I'd be for it. I just think he's probably the 5th or 6th priority as far as impending FA's go on this club. They already locked up the top priority in Tramon. JEnkins would be next. I don't expect them to bring Bigby or Colledge back. I think they will re-sign Jackson to
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm old enough to remember Sterling Sharpe and his whole Packer career.
He had a bad problem with drops early in his career.
But because he was the starter and the #1-guy, and a great receiver, he got a ton of balls and put up big numbers... and eventually cut down on his drops.

Gruden and some others compared Jones to Sharpe when we drafted him.

I hope, and believe, that if Jones were to get more passes his way, he'd cut down on his drops..... actually his drops aren't that much of a problem to me. It's the 3 huge fumbles in Bears games that have killed us. Two games. That's concentration, as Tiki Barber and Adrian Peterson showed. They learned to cut down on their cough ups.

Jones still refuses to carry the ball in the correct arm.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No, their past injury history doesn't matter. Going forward Hawk is just as likely to have a season ending injury as Barnett is. I've already explained that. I shouldn't have to keep repeating myself, but apparently I do.
Maybe to you. I don't care if they're fluke injuries or whatever. Injuries are injuries.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe to you. I don't care if they're fluke injuries or whatever. Injuries are injuries.
You're not understanding this concept at all are you...you're evaluating a players present talent based upon his past injuries, ones which we have already established as being irrelevant going forward.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Boston : 01-06-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I can't interpret the argument you guys are having there back and forth, but I have to say some guys just for some reason, seem to get hurt a lot, while some guys, like Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen, AJ Hawk, Kevin Williams, somehow seem to avoid injuries.

Will Blackmon, Atari Bigby, Cullen Jenkins.... those guys always are hurt one way or another. Nick Barnett has been too the past 3 years.

Now, it must be pointed out that Charles Woodson was as injury-prone as anyone when the Raiders let him leave in 2006, and I feel we have been A) luck as hell with him staying available and B) fans have totally taken that fact for granted.

So Charles has shown that a once-injury prone guy can turn it around and stay healthier, even as he's gotten old.
But that's pretty rare, and so is Charles as a talent.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's 90% luck. Barring guys who keep reinjuring the same way, it's kind of just luck of the draw. Obviously certain positions put certain areas of the body in more risk, but player to player it's mainly who lucks out.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 AM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But seriously, which 2 out of the 3 in question are the most talented?
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

I think that proper technique is a non-trivial factor influencing whether guys are injury-prone or not.

I've watched some linebackers play sloppy and take poor angles, which led to concussions or sprains or dislocated shoulders. They're otherwise solid players, but for whatever reason, they take risky angles during tackles.

Some players just have a knack, or an instinct, for taking exactly the right angle during a tackle (LB) or during a run (RB) to minimize the stress on the body. AJ Hawk is probably one of those guys.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Wow, very sad... the Lions and Vikings boards have had more and recent discussion today than we have.
Draft > Playoffs?

Anyway, here's McCarthy's press conference from today. I like what he's saying, to be honest. I hope it has an effect.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2895
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Wow, very sad... the Lions and Vikings boards have had more and recent discussion today than we have.
Draft > Playoffs?

Anyway, here's McCarthy's press conference from today. I like what he's saying, to be honest. I hope it has an effect.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2895
Not much else to talk about. Time for us to put up or shut up. :( RODGERS PLZ DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE QBS WHO DOESN'T WIN PLAYOFF GAMES.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Mike McCarthy:

"Yes, we elected our playoff captains. It’s a tradition here in Green Bay. On offense, Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings were elected. This is clearly from the other players in the locker room. On defense, it’s Charles Woodson and A.J. Hawk, and on special teams Mason Crosby and Jarrett Bush.

I think it’s a tremendous honor. I know for A.J. and Greg Jennings and Jarrett Bush, this is their first time. They will wear the ‘C’ in the Philadelphia Eagles game, and they will also participate in the coin toss. We have the tradition of having weekly captains, but this is something that’s voted on by the team, and it shows a lot of respect and I know every individual is proud of it."
Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bush has definitely improved over the years. Probably won't become a solid CB, but he has really been great on ST.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bush has definitely improved over the years. Probably won't become a solid CB, but he has really been great on ST.
I threw up a little bit. He has become a great gunner, though.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 AM    (permalink
jsa230
Rookie

jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i used to hate bush much more than i do now. I mean all the blown coverages/screw ups are hard to forget but the mistakes havent happened as much this season. Its nice to know Bush has the respect of his peers, but im s0o glad we found shields.

On Andrew Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.
jsa230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
You're not understanding this concept at all are you...you're evaluating a players present talent based upon his past injuries, ones which we have already established as being irrelevant going forward.
No, I actually know what he's saying and I don't agree with him. Do you not understand that concept either?

Quote:
Amazing what happens when you leave a player at one position. Lets hope they keep that going with the offensive line.