Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I definitely do not want to spend higher than a fifth on a backup QB. The one Ted Thompson move I truly hated was drafting Brohm in the second. Even if he hadn't busted that would have been a terrible move. Say we get a third for Flynn. That's a nice gain since we took him in the seventh. If we trade off a second or third round QB the net gain is going to be lower. It's high risk low reward. No thanks. I'd rather try to find another Matt Flynn late in the draft.
to land Ponder, it may take our 2nd round pick, but i feel like Dalton can be had in the 4th round.

I wouldn't dump Flynn if that means they're going to have to select a qb in rounds 2 or 3, but as you said earlier, Flynn's a FA next year. They should get something now, unless they plan to tag him next year and than trade him.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been under the assumption that we wouldn't use a pick any higher than a 5th or 6th on a QB, but if Flynn gets us an extra 3rd and there is a guy they really like I could see maybe a 3rd or 4th. That changes the prospective QBs that would be in the mix.

I find it hard to believe that Harrell is suddenly going to make the leap to backup QB, but if they didn't see something in him he wouldn't be around.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I respect Scott, but the Packers taking a CB in the first round is ******* ********.
Well you have to consider we have 3 cornerbacks on the field more often than not, one is 34 or 35 years old, there isn't much hope past that, and Sam Shields, while we aren't looking to replace him or anything, some insurance would be good there. It's hard to imagine us picking anyone besides OL or OLB anyways and there is a good chance value won't line up with need, in which case CB is definitely a possibility and probably next on our need list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4ever View Post
Harrell is actually a better passer and has better pocket presence. He will surprise a lot of people. Thats why i wouldnt be surprised to Flynn gone for a pick whatever it may be. However Flynn as tons of intangibles that makes him attractive to other teams.
I like Harrell as a backup. Well, it's not so much that I like Harrell but if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt we are probably screwed anyway. Matt Flynn is a much better backup but I'd like to trade him before his contract is up. There are a lot of quarterbacks in the middle to late rounds that we could pick up and cycle through our system like we are doing with Flynn, did with Brunell, Hasselback, etc.

To name a few:
Pat Devlin
TJ Yates
Scott Tolzien

But there is still the question of do we need that pick more than we need Flynn for a Super Bowl run next year? Lets say we trade:
Flynn, a 1st, a 5th and get Carimi/Castanzo and TJ Yates
So what it would come down to, probably, is what do you like better:

Flynn, DeMarcus Love (or a CB or something), and a 5th
or
Carimi/Castanzo and TJ Yates

I have no idea what's going to happen on draft day but this is one scenario I'm sure Ted Thompson and co. are considering.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Well you have to consider we have 3 cornerbacks on the field more often than not, one is 34 or 35 years old, there isn't much hope past that, and Sam Shields, while we aren't looking to replace him or anything, some insurance would be good there. It's hard to imagine us picking anyone besides OL or OLB anyways and there is a good chance value won't line up with need, in which case CB is definitely a possibility and probably next on our need list.
Exactally. CB isn't a huge need with Shields emergence but its still a need IMO. Woodson started to miss a step last year and I think we'd be lucky to get 1 more season out of him at CB. So basically we need Shields to take a Tramon-like leap (like Tramon did in his 2nd year, not the player he is today).

Aside from that, like umphrey mentioned, we have nobody behind those 3. If a CB is the best player available then by all means take one. We're fortunate enough to have them develop as a dimeback/special teamer behind 2 of the games best CBs.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20
Rookie

PackerFan20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.PackerFan20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Everyone keeps talking about trading Flynn, but don't forget that players cannot be traded until a new CBA is in place. If that doesn't happen until after the draft, then we lose our best chance at trading him since the teams that need QBs will draft them instead. I doubt many teams will want to trade for Flynn in July or August, as that would not be enough time for him to learn the offense and get used to his new teammates. We might get screwed over by this whole situation and not even get the chance to trade him.
PackerFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously doubt TT has any desire to trade him, but that's still a good point about the CBA.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

F*** you Cowherd
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think i could watch that TD pass to Nelson on repeat all day.

damn.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are the Champions, of the world!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

A few of you have not seen this yet.....
Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think that the obvious even needs to be said, so I'll just leave this here if you want to take a look. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...e-for-asomugha
Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think that the obvious even needs to be said, so I'll just leave this here if you want to take a look. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...e-for-asomugha
Works for me. That'd be an amazing secondary with Woodson at SS. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best secondary in the league...easily. That would be amazing.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
would he also give up his jersey number for Aso
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question.

I need an honest fair assessment of AJ Hawk as a player. I noticed personally that he seemed to step it up this year, but I don't know what to make of him.

You guys obviously seen a lot more of him than me and know his strengths and weaknesses. Can I get an honest breakdown?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Question.

I need an honest fair assessment of AJ Hawk as a player. I noticed personally that he seemed to step it up this year, but I don't know what to make of him.

You guys obviously seen a lot more of him than me and know his strengths and weaknesses. Can I get an honest breakdown?
he was a very up and down guy in his first few seasons in the league, but he turned it around the last 2 years; I wouldn't put him in the first group of guys at ILB, but he's in the 2nd group and a very good player. He isn't a superstar and shouldn't be paid like one, that's why us fans are debating keeping him at his 11 million dollar price tag he has this year.

He's a piece to the puzzle for a team to have, but not the final piece. Some of us think a healthy Barnett can do all the things Hawk does, but at a cheaper price.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...team-s-success

Quote:
“Everybody in football should have the opportunity to coach for the Green Bay Packers at least once to find out what football is really all about,” he said.

“This is real football here. This is the Green Bay Packers. It’s the only show in town. It’s fantastic to be part of something like that.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Look at Jennings footwork..... Wow..... CB had no chance here other than 100% guessing.
I like scoring TDs against the Vikings!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Look at Jennings footwork..... Wow..... CB had no chance here other than 100% guessing.
I like scoring TDs against the Vikings!

he reminds me so much of a young chad jonhson, and even Jones/Nelsom seems like a Housh type.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Jennings is better now than Chad Johnson ever was.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

Quote:
Greg Jennings is better now than Chad Johnson ever was.
i might disagree, but what Johnson was known for during his prime is exactly what Jennings is doing in his now.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Jennings reminds me of a combination of a younger Isaac Bruce & Torrey Holt.

He runs precise, impossible-to-read routes like Holt did, and he gets deep like Bruce did (when younger).
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To comment on the CB having no chance bc of Jenning's footwork...if a DB is looking at a WR's feet he has no business playing in the NFL.

You're taught to look at the core, that never moves until the rest of the body moves in a particular direction.

You're also taught to look at hips so you can predict which way he'll go. Down and distance, tons of film study of what type of routes they like running out of different formations and what types of motions that particular player does on his route running etc also gives you clues.

It's complicated. But long story short, you never look at feet.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

We will not use the franchise or transition tag.

Not happy about this. They better get a long term deal with Jenkins now.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To comment on the CB having no chance bc of Jenning's footwork...if a DB is looking at a WR's feet he has no business playing in the NFL.

You're taught to look at the core, that never moves until the rest of the body moves in a particular direction.

It's complicated. But long story short, you never look at feet.
All true, but look at Jennings waist, chest, head... that move was wicked.
Deion Sanders 1994 would have been beaten on that play, unless he guessed.
Correctly.

Quote:
We will not use the franchise or transition tag.
Not happy about this. They better get a long term deal with Jenkins now.
I hope you're right on Jenkins but I'm very worried he's gone.
I'm glad we didn't use a tag on Crosby.