Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't make sense, Ted used it on Williams and Pickett, yet wouldn't use it on Jenkins...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
It doesn't make sense, Ted used it on Williams and Pickett, yet wouldn't use it on Jenkins...
To be fair, Jenkins is injury prone, you guys have a ton of players who will need extensions in the future that are higher priority (Finley, Rodgers and the plethora of young talent on the team), and this is an especially deep class of 3-4 DEs.

Who's to say you can't get Cameron Heyward with your 1st? Or another decorated 3-4 DE?

He can use this draft class as leverage against Jenkins. TT knows his ****, Id trust him.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To be fair, Jenkins is injury prone, you guys have a ton of players who will need extensions in the future that are higher priority (Finley, Rodgers and the plethora of young talent on the team), and this is an especially deep class of 3-4 DEs.

Who's to say you can't get Cameron Heyward with your 1st? Or another decorated 3-4 DE?

He can use this draft class as leverage against Jenkins. TT knows his ****, Id trust him.
i would rather keep Jenkins for one year, with the franchise tag, and draft a LG/OLB in the first two rounds rather than a DE
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
i would rather keep Jenkins for one year, with the franchise tag, and draft a LG/OLB in the first two rounds rather than a DE
I don't know bro. It's HARD finding a stud 3-4 DE. It's one of the hardest positions to draft. An OLB or LG is easy. Those come along all the time. I'd take advantage of a great crop of DEs while I can.

The 34 is still all about the dline at the end of the day.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know bro. It's HARD finding a stud 3-4 DE. It's one of the hardest positions to draft.
Exactly.... see Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey for the Chiefs, and those were top 3 picks. We're at 32.

But you're right, TT's earned the right to be trusted. (except his CB draft picks)
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Even if he's gone I don't want a DE in the first. As good as he is, we'll be fine without him with what's already on the roster. I can understand not re-signing (although I definitely want to), but I do not understand letting him walk. Either tag him to keep him around one more year or tag him to trade him.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

Cason, on the CB comment, was on Ted's radar and would have been a Packer that year had he fell a little bit closer.

Also, with Pickett and Raji on 2 of the 3 DL spots. I would rather have Neal/Wilson/Jolly rotate the other and draft a guy to play behind Raji (Powe in the 4th.)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
We will not use the franchise or transition tag.

Not happy about this. They better get a long term deal with Jenkins now.

He's as good as gone.

From JSOnline

Quote:
"I'm 99% sure something won't happen," Jenkins said when asked in a phone interview from his home in Michigan whether there was a chance the Packers could re-sign him before the start of free agency. "Not at this point. You get to a point where you want to go where you feel you're wanted.

"The way everything came down, it's just time for a new start."

"We've gone for so long," Jenkins said. "We approached them last off-season about doing an extension and we haven't heard anything. You would think you would have received an offer by now.

"It's just one of those things where they have other plans. They showed that in the way they went about it. It's time for me and my family to look at options somewhere else. Whenever they get the CBA done, I'll get out there and see what the situation is."

Sucks, but I was expecting it. The writing was on the wall for a while now. Thompson is always looking ahead, and it's probably one of the reasons he drafted Neal in the 2nd round last year. At the time, DE wasn't much of a need, not as much as perhaps CB and OLB were. Add in that this years draft is pretty rich at DE and it made sense as to why they would let him go. They don't want to commit big bucks to a 30 year old DE who has dealt with various injuries the last few years. I really hope Neal/Wilson/Jolly/draft pick or FA will be able to step in. Jenkins is a very, very good player

Now, regarding the rest of the FA, the Packers must sign Peprah, Crosby, Jones and one of Kuhn/Jackson(or both if possible) + restructuring Hawk's contract. If Hawk agrees to restructure, then we'll see Barnett traded. If he doesn't agree, he'll be cut and the Packers will hang onto Barnett.

Last edited by BloodBrother : 02-25-2011 at 12:52 AM.
BloodBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
He's as good as gone.

From JSOnline

Sucks, but I was expecting it. The writing was on the wall for a while now. Thompson is always looking ahead, and it's probably one of the reasons he drafted Neal in the 2nd round last year. At the time, DE wasn't much of a need, not as much as perhaps CB and OLB were. Add in that this years draft is pretty rich at DE and it made sense as to why they would let him go. They don't want to commit big bucks to a 30 year old DE who has dealt with various injuries the last few years. I really hope Neal/Wilson/Jolly/draft pick or FA will be able to step in. Jenkins is a very, very good player

Now, regarding the rest of the FA, the Packers must sign Peprah, Crosby, Jones and one of Kuhn/Jackson(or both if possible) + restructuring Hawk's contract. If Hawk agrees to restructure, then we'll see Barnett traded. If he doesn't agree, he'll be cut and the Packers will hang onto Barnett.
Definitely doesn't sound good but I don't think it's as open and shut as that. Lots of free agents say stuff like that for leverage and then sign.

No team is really going out and signing their free agents. Franchise tags 'cuz they have to but that's it. He can feel disrespected if he wants but he's not played enough for us to warrant an instant extension (he's played WELL enough, just not OFTEN enough, at least not often enough at full strength.)

Jolly is coming back. Neal looked great. So it's not the end of the world but it hurts and emphasizes our need for another pass rusher.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think Jolly will be back. We'll see.
Maybe nobody will give Cullen that huge of an offer and we can keep him.
I mean he is 30 and has had a bunch of injuries.
He didn't dominate or anything at the Super Bowl right?
I remember big plays for just about everyone on defense that night, but don't recall a big one from him.... hopefully he and his agent are just expecting too much and are disappointed on the open market.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, in the next few years, we'll have Finley, Matthews, Sitton and others that'll need to contracts. We have to pick and choose. And, if not resigning Jenkins means they'll get one more of the guys I listed...fine.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed. In fact, I believe Finley, Sitton and Jordy are FA's after 2011. That's just off the top of my head

I also absolutely think Jolly will be back. They have him locked up for 1 more year for cheap, why not bring him back. They have nothing to lose
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
I also absolutely think Jolly will be back. They have him locked up for 1 more year for cheap, why not bring him back. They have nothing to lose
That makes sense, and I agree because he's so cheap, is fresh, and should be hungry as hell (for a Super Bowl ring, not hungry for the purple drank).

But the reason my money is on him not coming back is because Ted and this organization value a guy's character as a person very much, and Jolly has shown that he does not pass that test. Maybe his value will be too much to stick to those principles in this case and that's part of why they might let Jenkins walk.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My only concern with Jolly is his conditioning and weight. Has he been working out on his own to stay in shape? I would think if they thought character was an issue they would have cut ties by now instead of retaining his rights through the restricted tender. I guess there could be some cap wrangling going on that I'm not aware of.

Someone raised the issue of Jenkins possibly getting lazy after getting the big money. I don't buy it. That was a concern when he got his first contract and he did not fall off at all.

He will not be back because of age and what the market value for a veteran 3-4 DE is going to be. With the depth we currently have and the draft being deep at the position, the estimated franchise tag number of $12 million is not justifiable. He can be replaced by a younger/cheaper guy. Unfortunately, that is how the league works these days. GMs cannot afford to let emotions or loyalty to an individual player based on past performance dictate the personnel decisions they make. And that is my only issue with the quote from Jenkins. This isn't about whether the Packers "want" him; it is the business side of the game.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Championship teams have to deal with some roster turnover unfortunately. I don't want to see Jenkins leave, but I'd rather that than have it cost us Sitton or Jennings or Finley.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

John Henderson got 8 million for 2 years, so Jenkins should get 6 million per season just because of that silly mistake Oakland made.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edgar Bennett has been made WRs coach....hmmmm

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCarthy: "I'm going to have to apologize, because I'm very behind in the draft as far as college players."

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
McCarthy: "I'm going to have to apologize, because I'm very behind in the draft as far as college players."
Well that's probably because he was busy with the freakin Super Bowl. I'll give him a pass for that.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:33 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
That is a little odd. He seemed to be doing a good job with RBs and that is obviously his background.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
here is the rest of the changes on the staff

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers have named Edgar Bennett wide receivers coach, Jerry Fontenot running backs coach, Joel Hilgenberg offensive quality control coach, and John Rushing assistant wide receivers/special teams coach.

would think its weird to see a RB turn into a WR coach, and a former OL(Fontenot) become the RB coach...but this is fairly common stuff. It's a step up for these 2 guys to build their resumes up even more

Last edited by BloodBrother : 02-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People seem to forget that Bennett was an excellent receiver as a RB. In his 7 year career he caught 284 balls. 59, 78, and 61 catches in a 3 year span and an average of 40 per season.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

It's really not a big deal or unusual. It happens all the time. Andy Reid went from our offensive line coach to QB coach.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

And speaking of...he promoted his OL coach to D coordinator just a few weeks ago, when the guy's last experience on the defensive side was over 20 years ago for a High School team
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Edgar is on the track to become an Offensive Coordinator.
This will greatly add to that resume. How do I get that little / over the e at the end of resume?