Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't say for sure but it seems like the packers probably would have one of the best support groups to deal with this. Very sad story... there's nothing close to ones life but lets hope the packers can bring home the SB trophy in honor of this kid and his father Joe.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always thought that McCarthy still basically ran this offense, not Philbin.

Anyone know for sure, how that works behind the scenes as far as those first-15 scripted plays and the playcalls afterwards?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I've always thought that McCarthy still basically ran this offense, not Philbin.

Anyone know for sure, how that works behind the scenes as far as those first-15 scripted plays and the playcalls afterwards?
McCarthy does the playcalling. The team hasn't scripted it's first 15 plays in a few years. My understanding is that in game, Philbin mostly serves as the "eyes in the box."

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Philbin took on a bigger role in coaching the OL(that was his job before he got promoted to OC)

he also helped McCarthy with the gameplanning etc so MM didn't have so much on his plate
Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Philbin took on a bigger role in coaching the OL(that was his job before he got promoted to OC)

he also helped McCarthy with the gameplanning etc so MM didn't have so much on his plate
Philbin was another pair of eyes for McCarthy, but he is involved in game planning and running of the offense. He controls the change of formations during practice, so it's perfect during the game. If Philbin leaves, I hope Tom Clements gets promoted to offensive coordinator as we will have to groom another QB coach for our next back up.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is from one of the beat writers whom I asked about all that Philbin does:

Quote:
Yeah, McCarthy is the engine behind the offense and calls plays. Philbin does a lot of hands-on work such as running the meetings of the entire offense, which allows McCarthy to tend to other head-coaching duties. He also has a big role in helping McCarthy game plan, and he runs the offensive portions of practice. His area of greatest expertise is the offensive line, so he works there in some drills, though he seemed to spend more time there in camp than in the regular season from what I can tell.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

With Hue Jackson being fired by the Raiders, It appears Winston Moss is gone to Oakland and he could be taking other coaches with him.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
With Hue Jackson being fired by the Raiders, It appears Winston Moss is gone to Oakland and he could be taking other coaches with him.
Likely which sucks.... lets hope our guys want to stay with champions not go to one of the worst teams over the last 10 years.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

It's funny that our defense allowed an NFL-record amount of passing yards this year, and also made the Bears 3rd & 4th string RBs look good, made LeGarrette Blount look fast, and yet they want our D-coaches, not Kevin Greene.

As long as we keep Trgovic and Greene with Capers, I'm fine with that.
Not sure about D-Perry, would like to keep him, but won't lose sleep if we lose him.

I just wonder if any good ones will spring from the McCarthy coaching tree as did from the Holmgren tree:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nice!

was lookin at frames from this place. Click on the ad at the top about Packers frames

globalrecognition.com

as well as this

http://www.giveashare.com/frames-for...FYvDKgodnx5hkw
Just got my frame yesterday! I ordered from the top link and got the oak frame. It looks awsome. Got my share in it and couldn't be happier.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Donald Driver has said that he plans on playing next year but realizes it will probably not be in a Packers uniform

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Donald Driver has said that he plans on playing next year but realizes it will probably not be in a Packers uniform
Thats a shame, yesterday when we needed someone to step up and just catch the ball Driver was the guy. That diving catch he made was top class. I really dont wanna see him leave!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

Miss America who happens to be Miss Wisconsin wants Aaron Rodgers to call her. Hmm not so bad after all?

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron needs to get on that in every sense of the term

Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

So moving forward whose not on this team next year?

- Ryan Grant - (Pretty sure his deal is up and he wont be resigned)
- Donald Driver - (Sad but I think it has finally come, its time for Cobb)
- Chad Clifton - (Old and cant stay healthly)
- Matt Flynn

* Nick Collins - (Lets hope he can continue his career)

Those are more of the easier likely ones I think.. Im sure there will be all kinds of changes at that OLB spot besides Matthews but who....

I also see the rumor about Woodson not being back has started. Its because he is due a 4 million dollar bonus in a few months. Which I expect he will and should get. Hes still a great leader and a playmaker for this team.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
So moving forward whose not on this team next year?

- Ryan Grant - (Pretty sure his deal is up and he wont be resigned)
- Donald Driver - (Sad but I think it has finally come, its time for Cobb)
- Chad Clifton - (Old and cant stay healthly)
- Matt Flynn

* Nick Collins - (Lets hope he can continue his career)

Those are more of the easier likely ones I think.. Im sure there will be all kinds of changes at that OLB spot besides Matthews but who....

I also see the rumor about Woodson not being back has started. Its because he is due a 4 million dollar bonus in a few months. Which I expect he will and should get. Hes still a great leader and a playmaker for this team.
Hard to see him gone and while he is due a bonus, his cap figure for 2012 is still pretty reasonable at $6.5 million.

Sadly though I believe that Nick Collins will retire so that would be a perfect opportunity to shift Woodson to safety. He's been a liability in coverage the past 2 seasons but he could be a very good safety at this stage in his career.

Unfortunately Tramon Williams took a huge step back this year and Shields failed to build upon his rookie season. CB could be turn into a bigger need as well.

Don't forget that Pat Lee and Jarrett Bush are also free agents. Its hard to see Lee back and Bush could be pricey seeing his value as a special teamer and nickle/dimeback.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Morgan Burnett & Charles Woodson as the 2 safeties could be great for a few years.
Woodson looks better than Rod Woodson did when he shifted to safety.
I think Charles is just a rare, special athlete, he could have some great years left at that position. He's so smart too.
Just asking him to cover so much as a corner will expose him.
As it would to Ed Reed or Polamalu.

That means we need some cornerbacks.
I wanted Carlos Rogers last year but the Niners got him from the Redskins. This was a talented guy who went before Rodgers in that draft, as did Antrel Rolle and Adam Jones.

Anyway, I haven't begun to look at free agent cornerbacks because we all know we're not players in the FA market.

I hope we keep Jarrett Bush because he seems pretty good as a blitzer in Charles' role.

Also, let's hope Davon House is ready. We need 5 decent corners, with Tramon and Shields hopefully looking a lot better if we get some pass rush help.

A lot of the reason Tramon appeared worse this year was the time the QBs had to throw. That makes a difference. It doesn't explain all his completed passes allowed, but some.

I can't even imagine seeing Driver on another team. I bet he'd like to go to the Texans if anyone other than us.

We play them next year in Houston.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I can't even imagine seeing Driver on another team. I bet he'd like to go to the Texans if anyone other than us.

We play them next year in Houston.

Even though I am a big supporter of James Jones, I would almost rather keep DD rather than Jones. 1) Fan base loves DD (not that this is a reason to keep him, but it is true) 2) He can be content in his role, whereas it seem Jones would mentally check out 3) We could call up Gurley and he could be our big WR 4) DD has more knowledge about the game to help continue to teach our young guys.

In an ideal world, I would love to see the Packers package Jones and Flynn together and get a 1st or early second round pick. But I would rather trade Jones for a DB or DL and call up Gurley.....this appears more reasonable....
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no way I'd keep Driver over Jones. Jones is younger and better. DD is easily one of my top 5 fav Packers but you gotta be smart about it. I would like to see him back next year as their #4-5 guy but Gurley apparently has shown a lot in practices and has been getting high praise from the other receives and coaches. I think you have to part ways with him, unfortunately. Nature of the business, etc. You can't hold on to guys for sentimental value. Packers are trying to win the SB...so they need to field the best team possible. If Gurley offers more at this stage than Driver then you have to make the move, especially since we already know the Vikes tried to get Gurley late this past season

I'm glad that he was able to win a ring here, but if he wants to keep playing then it looks like he'll have to move on somewhere else. He'll forever be a Packer and will undoubtedly be in the Packers hall of fame
Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There is no way I'd keep Driver over Jones. Jones is younger and better. DD is easily one of my top 5 fav Packers but you gotta be smart about it. I would like to see him back next year as their #4-5 guy but Gurley apparently has shown a lot in practices and has been getting high praise from the other receives and coaches. I think you have to part ways with him, unfortunately. Nature of the business, etc. You can't hold on to guys for sentimental value. Packers are trying to win the SB...so they need to field the best team possible. If Gurley offers more at this stage than Driver then you have to make the move, especially since we already know the Vikes tried to get Gurley late this past season

I'm glad that he was able to win a ring here, but if he wants to keep playing then it looks like he'll have to move on somewhere else. He'll forever be a Packer and will undoubtedly be in the Packers hall of fame
I completely agree with your reasoning; however, I feel that it would be best for the team if Driver stayed and Jones left. With Jones, he is the #3, and will continue to be the #3. With him being the number 3 that means Cobb/Driver is the 4th and Cobb/Driver/Gurley is the 5th, leaving neither of them with many opportunities to develop as J-Mike ends up being the 4th or 5th WR in many formations.

I like Jones just as much as anyone else, but we are doing him a disservice and Cobb/Gurley a disservice by him staying. If Driver stays, he can easily work the 3rd and 4th WR spots giving way to Cobb, and then Gurley can start getting reps at the 5th WR spot spelling Finley when ever he needs a breather or whenever the Packers truly go 5 wide with WRs.

Either way I am looking at it, Driver or Jones, IMO, will not be a Packer next year.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we could trade Jones for a draft pick and keep Driver we would have Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Gurley, Driver.

I'd be happy with that.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

with Quarless' unknown health status for next year, we could place him on I.R. and hold onto 6 WR's with 4 TE's

Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
with Quarless' unknown health status for next year, we could place him on I.R. and hold onto 6 WR's with 4 TE's
If Finleys back...

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

I fully expect Finley to be back. Pack will tag him

then hopefully they re-sign Wells. Continuity is huge on the OL and he was their most consistent starter this past year on the line. He has to be priority #1 I'd think
Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

Quote:
This is quite possible. You know what is funny, I would almost being willing to put money down that the Packers will draft a TE.

Now this is completely hypothetical, but what if the Packers drafted Orson Charles.....Imagine he and Finley together for the next 5 years or so. We could be like the Patriots except both of our TE's would be ridiculously good athletes.

Last edited by bigboiajhawk : 01-19-2012 at 02:36 PM.