Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
In real life, we cut Hawk and it saves nothing for our cap because that $ is guaranteed.
That was a suspect contract given there...
This isn't real life though. I cut Hawk and had 5 million more in cap space to spend. Is that hard to understand or something.

Quote:
You trade away Finely and then go sign Visanthe Shianco. It makes no sense and is a terrible move IMO.
Yeah i guessed no one would like the Finley trade but tbh i dont like him so i got rid of him. I then had the ammunition to trade up for Nick Perry and i got Kendall Reyes with the Bills second round pick, so in my eyes it was worth it.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Green Bay Press Gazette is reporting that it's looking unlikely that the team will franchise tag Matt Flynn...smart move!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
This isn't real life though. I cut Hawk and had 5 million more in cap space to spend. Is that hard to understand or something.
So we're talking real life here. Packers. Real Packers.
You're talking Fantasy Football or some schit like that?

That IS hard to understand I guess. Nobody gives a rats @ss about board games here, I guess.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
The Green Bay Press Gazette is reporting that it's looking unlikely that the team will franchise tag Matt Flynn...smart move!
Smart?
It's only smart to pass on the rare opportunity to cash in big on an investement that has risen in value IF IF IF we don't have the cap flexibility to pull it off. If that is the case, I am a bit sad.

I can find 5-8 guys I'd cut if it meant getting a high 2nd and high 3rd, or a low 1st rounder.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So we're talking real life here. Packers. Real Packers.
You're talking Fantasy Football or some schit like that?

That IS hard to understand I guess. Nobody gives a rats @ss about board games here, I guess.
I posted my forum-offseason and said i saved 5 million by cutting Hawk and people were saying

"no you didnt save 5million"

"Yes i did, so **** off!"

Thats all...

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Smart?
It's only smart to pass on the rare opportunity to cash in big on an investement that has risen in value IF IF IF we don't have the cap flexibility to pull it off. If that is the case, I am a bit sad.

I can find 5-8 guys I'd cut if it meant getting a high 2nd and high 3rd, or a low 1st rounder.
^^^^^^

what he said.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Smart?

You're assuming there is an opportunity set in stone. There may not be. Its a sticky situation.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
While that may be true, don't forget the local media was also saying that the Packers didn't even have the option of Franchising Flynn ( due to financial terms) just a few weeks ago.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went to the Bucks game (it was "free" for my sports marketing class) But Aaron Rodgers was there. He did his belt thingy. I thought I hated the guy cuz ESPN slurped him so much. But I think Aaron Rodgers is cool. And I like the dude and am bummed I dissed the dude so much. I said the same thing about Favre, but I grew to like him too. Damn u Green Bay for always having good and cool QBs.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
I went to the Bucks game (it was "free" for my sports marketing class) But Aaron Rodgers was there. He did his belt thingy. I thought I hated the guy cuz ESPN slurped him so much. But I think Aaron Rodgers is cool. And I like the dude and am bummed I dissed the dude so much. I said the same thing about Favre, but I grew to like him too. Damn u Green Bay for always having good and cool QBs.
If you listen to Rodgers' weekly radio show, he's got a really good sense of humor and seems like a really down-to-earth guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. Hard not to like the guy.

And sorry you had to watch a Bucks game.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Gravedigger42
Rookie

Gravedigger42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

IMO this whole Manning thing messed up any idea of a sign and trade for Flynn. Most of the potential Flynn suitors are also in the Manning sweepstakes. If the Pack did tag Flynn and then only had team still interested in trading for Flynn they could offer a 5th rounder and say take it or be stuck paying your back up 14 mil. Too many options out there at QB to take the risk of being stuck with Flynn at that price. If your a team looking for a QB, you've got Manning, RG3 and Tannehill to go after if the price for Flynn was too high. The Packers would basiclly have zero leverage in any trade talks until the first ten picks of the draft play out and Manning is signed
Gravedigger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There will be no sign and trade with Flynn

The Flynn decision became easy for the team because there's questionable interest in him throughout the league, the market isn't as large with a Manning and 2 stud college guys out there, the potential 14.4 million dollar price tag on him was scary, and the team will be compensated a 3rd round conditional pick for Flynn so what was really the upside; maybe one round higher with the pick? that potential gain wasn't worth the risk

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Correct on the Manning situation.
Miami has a big play on him, otherwise I believe Philbin would have jumped at Matt Flynn.

But we needed 2 teams bidding against each other, and that's not Ted's forte.

He's never outbattled anyone for a single free agent. Woodson had no other offers and he waited 2 months for another one to come.

Ted is a very good collegiate talent evaluator, and drafter. That's what he's good at.

He's not gonna win a Mario Williams free agent sweepstakes, or apparently shake someone for a high 2nd round pick or late 1st. That's the value that Flynn has, as I think we'll see based on the contract he signs.

Just a pity that the 2 QBs we drafted in 2008 both resulted in nothing for us.

The 2nd rounder sucked, a blown high pick.
The 7th rounder blossomed into a commodity, and we got nothing for him except an early 4th rd comp pick in 2013.

I mean it didn't matter that Brohm sucked or Flynn panned out. Neither netted us anything.

Let's nitpick here: Ted took Brohm and Pat Lee in that 2nd round. He also took Jordy. 2 Fails. 1 Hit.

But other guys he could have taken in place of Brohm and Lee that draft:
Calais Campbell was pick 50.
Ray Rice was pick 55.
Terrell Thomas pick 63.
Kendall Langford pick 66.
Jamaal Charles pick 73.

Anyway, Teddy got us J-Mike in round 3 there. Another hit. Then a miss with Jeremy Thompson in round 4.

Wonder what would have happened if Flynn had been extended after his 3rd season.......
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Miami has a big play on him, otherwise I believe Philbin would have jumped at Matt Flynn.

He's never outbattled anyone for a single free agent. Woodson had no other offers and he waited 2 months for another one to come.

Ted is a very good collegiate talent evaluator, and drafter. That's what he's good at.

He's not gonna win a Mario Williams free agent sweepstakes, or apparently shake someone for a high 2nd round pick or late 1st. That's the value that Flynn has, as I think we'll see based on the contract he signs.

The 7th rounder blossomed into a commodity, and we got nothing for him except an early 4th rd comp pick in 2013.

I mean it didn't matter that Brohm sucked or Flynn panned out. Neither netted us anything.

Let's nitpick here: Ted took Brohm and Pat Lee in that 2nd round. He also took Jordy. 2 Fails. 1 Hit.

Ray Rice was pick 55.
Terrell Thomas pick 63.
Jamaal Charles pick 73.

Anyway, Teddy got us J-Mike in round 3 there. Another hit. Then a miss with Jeremy Thompson in round 4.

Wonder what would have happened if Flynn had been extended after his 3rd season.......
We'll get a 3rd round pick for him so its not too bad.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Ray Rice was pick 55.
Terrell Thomas pick 63.
Jamaal Charles pick 73.

You're conveniently looking at everything from hindsight.

Also, Flynn with net the something next year you can't conveniently look over that.

they get smoked.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, when Flynn gets a big contract elsewhere, TT will have turned a 7th round pick into a 3rd/4th rounder, while getting 4 years of service out of the player. That's about as much of a success as you could possibly hope for.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Seriously, when Flynn gets a big contract elsewhere, TT will have turned a 7th round pick into a 3rd/4th rounder, while getting 4 years of service out of the player. That's about as much of a success as you could possibly hope for.
yeah basically this lol. hopefully our staff can get a few more Matt Flynn's down the road.

and regarding the risk with the flynn trade. i dont see why theres any risk, if we couldnt get a first for him we'd ask for a 2nd and in the unlikely event of no one offering a 2nd we could just ask for a 3rd. Im 100% certain a team would offer a third so why not do it? no risk involved and we get a higher draft pick this year.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, you can take any draft and say "see, we could have gotten Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles," but nobody was actually even considering Green Bay drafting those guys at the time. It's really pointless to just pull out the best players and point to them. What's at least somewhat valuable is to look at players of the same position, or that were actual possibilities at the time and compare them to guys drafted around them. For example, I would take Jordy Nelson over every other receiver drafted in 2008.

That said, Brohm was an absolutely terrible pick.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Yeah, you can take any draft and say "see, we could have gotten Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles," but nobody was actually even considering Green Bay drafting those guys at the time. It's really pointless to just pull out the best players and point to them. What's at least somewhat valuable is to look at players of the same position, or that were actual possibilities at the time and compare them to guys drafted around them. For example, I would take Jordy Nelson over every other receiver drafted in 2008.

That said, Brohm was an absolutely terrible pick.
Right.... and I admit I was excited about Brohm, and not about Flynn.

I feel like Flynn had late 1st round value, that's all.
High 2nd round value at worst.
And we get essentially a high 4th for him.
A year later. That's why I am sad and disappointed. Feel like Teddy should have been able to cash him in.

Pplus by Flynn playing in week 17, raising only HIS value to HIMSELF, it hurt the Arod momentum. Played some part in the meltdown to the Giants.

How much, we'll never know.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
And we get essentially a high 4th for him.
Essentially? We won't know what we "essentially" get until he signs somewhere.

Quote:
Pplus by Flynn playing in week 17, raising only HIS value to HIMSELF, it hurt the Arod momentum. Played some part in the meltdown to the Giants.
That's just an opinion. And probably one I wouldn't agree with. I think most people would put more blame on the defense that got straight rolled by Eli.

they get smoked.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
That's just an opinion. And probably one I wouldn't agree with. I think most people would put more blame on the defense that got straight rolled by Eli.
I'd put more blame on the offense that missed several great chances to get back into the game.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
So you don't think Rodgers missing an extra week had ANY impact on the rusty-looking performance that we hadn't seen ever before, missing wide open guys, mis-reading his receivers routes on key plays? That wasn't the Rodgers we saw the first 15 weeks.

The defense sucked in the first half, but it was only 13-10 until the hail mary miracle.

In the 3rd quarter, they amazingly came up with a bunch of stops, but the offense kept misfiring and fumbling and dropping passes.

Anyway, it's true that Brohm in round 2 was a misfire for us, and Flynn in round 7 turned out great for him, and made Ted look like a smart drafter. But it netted us nothing until a comp pick next year probably prior to round 4.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

But you can't just look at draft picks as what they end up getting you in return. To have a good #2 quarterback on the roster for four years is certainly worth a seventh round pick. Receiving a third round compensatory pick after those years of service is just gravy.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would've been nice to get more for Flynn but we're still going to end up with additional picks next year. I would be hesitant to trade for him seeing he was a 7th round pick, has limited experience, you'd have to pay him big money upfront, and you just don't know how he'll end up in another system.

Guys like Charlie Whitehurst and Kevin Kolb make the teams that traded for them look stupid. With the rookie salaries the way they are now teams can pick a high upside guy while not financially committing the money.

Fact of the matter is what if Rodgers got injured this year? Flynn was a valuable insurance policy and you can't always get a top dollar return on your investment. Look at the Texans, they draft Mario Williams 1st overall and could lose him in free agency. The most they can net is a 3rd round supplemental pick. We took Flynn in the 7th and the most we can net is a 3rd round supplemental pick. Obviously both cases depend on free agent moves/signings/contracts of the teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
But you can't just look at draft picks as what they end up getting you in return. To have a good #2 quarterback on the roster for four years is certainly worth a seventh round pick. Receiving a third round compensatory pick after those years of service is just gravy.
You're just spitting on a fire.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Free agency begins today will the pack sign anybody besides their own. I'm not talking huge names but maybe a mid tier guy who can help... FA is exciting just not for us, but its smart at times to avoid.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote