Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Backup QB's often untested. Have no idea what they'll do if needed, in-game or starting in a pickle. Young or old.
Wallace was never a world-beater to begin with. Let's be honest there. I like him, but.....

Now what about Flynn has a backup QB for this team, system? What's he capable of?

Well...... do we have more to go by than just wild guessing?

I never liked Matt, but he proved me way wrong in his 2 starts. And his recor-setting one, he got a win unlike a Romo, and he did it missing Greg Jennings. He did it basically with the same Big 3 WR's we have now plus Finley.

I've never seen a no-brainer more obvious and sensical than this.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the way, and I have said it for a while now, the Packers have struggled in the red zone recently as team defenses have adjusted to the routes Jordy Cobb and Jones do down there... but to our fault, we have forgotten about this way too often down there:

Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glazer's tweets about Clay make it sound like he'll be missing 6+ weeks. Thumb has to be stabilized with pins for 4 weeks and THEN he has to have more time to heal. Yuck
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was originally going to post a rebuttal with a bunch of pictures of Finley dropping the ball, but we already know how much he does that. He would not be my top choice in the red zone.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordy is their best receiver so I go with him
Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nick Perry seemed to show some rush ability once Clay broke is thumb and he was brought in on the right side. Was that a result of Reiff not being very good or is it an indication that he was being asked to play more of a contain role previously? I'm hoping it is the later and that he can help get us through Clay's injury.
TimmG6376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I was originally going to post a rebuttal with a bunch of pictures of Finley dropping the ball, but we already know how much he does that. He would not be my top choice in the red zone.
I sometimes think Finley has caused more interceptions than Rodgers has thrown of his own accord since they've been together. I remember the Raiders game in our 15-1 season where Rodgers threw a sexy ass fade to Finley in the corner against a linebacker and Finley actually shoved it into the linebacker's hands (who never actually turned or saw the ball at all) and it got reviewed and called an INT.

Finley sucks. He's not a great red zone target. He's really best used in the 10-25 yard intermediate range when he gets matched up on linebackers, that's the area where he has a touch of a speed advantage over most linebackers and before he gets picked up by a safety. But his ball skills simply aren't that great. Nelson and Jones are both far superior options in jump ball type situations.

Anywho.

Clay being out hurts. A lot. I really liked how our defense was coming along but losing Clay is basically the same as losing Rodgers for our offense, unless Perry suddenly turns it all on (which isn't completely unreasonable.)

We need Heyward back. Anyone heard timeline on him recently?

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't heard anything official but he has been doing drills in pads recently. That would indicate he's getting close.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there is too much Finley hate.

He is what he is and when he can catch the ball he is arguably the most dynamic weapon Rodgers has (Cobb really stands out but I think you could argue Finley). Sure he is a knuckle head that is easy to hate but at the same time its safe to say he has helped the team tremendously.

Would I prefer someone more consistent that could occasionally block... you better believe it but for now I will put up with the Finley headaches as long as he helps more than he hurts.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

I've been critical of Finely before, but this season he's been playing pretty well outside of the gift INT he handed over in the SF game. I don't know if it is scheme or his route running but he doesn't seem to catch the ball on the run very often. When he does he is a dangerous weapon. Just seems like he is always running curls or out patterns where his momentum is stopped before he tries to turn upfield.

I made that comment to my brother last weekend after he was ranting on Finely and he said maybe it is because Finely can't catch the ball on the run. To which I had no rebuttal.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
I've been critical of Finely before, but this season he's been playing pretty well outside of the gift INT he handed over in the SF game. I don't know if it is scheme or his route running but he doesn't seem to catch the ball on the run very often. When he does he is a dangerous weapon. Just seems like he is always running curls or out patterns where his momentum is stopped before he tries to turn upfield.

I made that comment to my brother last weekend after he was ranting on Finely and he said maybe it is because Finely can't catch the ball on the run. To which I had no rebuttal.
This sounds like soooo many conversations I have with one of my co-workers. I am a huge Finley fan, and I feel like we never see Finley run a 10 Yard square-in where he sits in the middle of a zone somewhere. All to often, we throw a 2 yard route, a deep throw down the seam in extremely tight coverage, or the occasional fade.

I want to see more slant routes from Jones and Jordy, more crossing patterns from Jones and Cobb. Less 3rd and one bombs that land incomplete. Less deep patterns. The run game and quick pass game will lead to the deep bombs.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

The thing I am always worried about Finley is the deep seem route where he barely gets behind the LB who grabs and tugs him quick.... then the pass barely gets thru to him.... telegraphed, and the safeties come up with a blind kill shot on Finley. Some to the head, some to his knees...

Where I want him more utilized is in the red zone, where coincidentally we have struggled.

Use his heighth on the edges of the end zone..... ask the Bears... he had the hat trick on them there last year or the year before. Hard to cover in there.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

MM said good stuff about Sherrod, expects him to play this year.
And Worthy thinks he's ready now.

I'll believe either when if I see it.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
MM said good stuff about Sherrod, expects him to play this year.
And Worthy thinks he's ready now.

I'll believe either when if I see it.
I would be interested to see Sherrod at right tackle, if possible, and Barclay kicked inside to center.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I would be interested to see Sherrod at right tackle, if possible, and Barclay kicked inside to center.
My only concern with that would be whether Barclay is ready to make all the line calls required at this point since he does not have much experience at center. If I recall correctly he had never played the position until OTAs.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
My only concern with that would be whether Barclay is ready to make all the line calls required at this point since he does not have much experience at center. If I recall correctly he had never played the position until OTAs.
It's not a scenario that would be realistic for this year, for the reasons you stated, but I would like to see the team entertain the possibility again following this season.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
It's not a scenario that would be realistic for this year, for the reasons you stated, but I would like to see the team entertain the possibility again following this season.
If we get one or two injuries there on the OL, it is possible this season.

We can never ignore that possibility with our team and OL specifically, already missing both of our #1 picks on the OL.

How have Sitton and Lang graded out so far this year?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

This guy is the BIGGEST worry on the Ravens for us. http://packersinsider.com/?p=5971
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Welp, fractured fibula for Cobb. Expected to miss 6-8 weeks

this team will be battling some adversity over these next 6-8 games. Likely playing them without Clay, Cobb and perhaps Perry if the broken foot report is true
Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Bedtime Update on Packers WR search:

Quote:
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8h
Talked to Tavarres King, who's on Broncos practice squad. GB has offered 53-man roster opportunity. But Broncos would like to keep him,

As of now Broncos don't have 53-man roster spot available.

As of now WR Tavarres King is still a Bronco. Packers want him on 53 but Broncos trying to keep him. May not know til tomorrow.

Tavarres King is rookie from Georgia, Broncos' 5th round pick. He was surprise cut but he cleared waivers and made it to PS.

Practice squad salary is $5,700/week -- $96,900 for 17-week season. But teams can pay PS players more if it helps keep them.

Broncos' practice squader Tavarres King on Packers 53-man offer: “I’d like to stay here. But we’re talking about a spot on the 53. It’s a business. We’re still trying to sort it all out. We probably won’t know until (Tuesday) morning.’’
Remember when someone tried to sign away Boykin or Gurley off our practice squads (Diondre Borel? Where he at now?) and the Packers bumped their practice squad pays and they chose to stay?

That's what it sounds like is going on in Denver. And the brother wants to say there, doesn't want to come to the village Green Bay.
We'll see....

Our new 2 WR's have to play though, NOW. Not sit and learn.
I would hope and expect we bring 2 guys in TODAY who can play this week.

Less talent or whatever, they have to know what the hell is going on. Right away.

Who does that leave?

Tyrone Walker?
Jeremy Ross?
Brett Swain?
Tori Gurley?
Shaky Smithson?
Donald Driver?
Bill Schroeder?
Andre Rison?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Myles White promoted from the practice squad.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Yep. White promoted to 53 man roster and Randall Cobb was placed on IR/designated to return. Greg Van Roten was placed on IR as well and the Pack promoted TE Jake Stoneburner to the 53 man roster. They also signed LB Victor Aiyewa to the practice squad

here's another interesting note

Quote:
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 15m

Here's why the Stoneburner move was made: TE Jermichael Finley is going to be playing a lot of WR with Cobb gone. #Packers
If Finley wants that money, now is his chance to step up and earn it

Last edited by BloodBrother : 10-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
BloodBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go Boykin!

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Bedtime Update on Packers WR search:

Remember when someone tried to sign away Boykin or Gurley off our practice squads (Diondre Borel? Where he at now?) and the Packers bumped their practice squad pays and they chose to stay?

That's what it sounds like is going on in Denver. And the brother wants to say there, doesn't want to come to the village Green Bay.
We'll see....

Our new 2 WR's have to play though, NOW. Not sit and learn.
I would hope and expect we bring 2 guys in TODAY who can play this week.

Less talent or whatever, they have to know what the hell is going on. Right away.

Who does that leave?

Tyrone Walker?
Jeremy Ross?
Brett Swain?
Tori Gurley?
Shaky Smithson?
Donald Driver?
Bill Schroeder?
Andre Rison?
SWAINZZZZZZZZ!!!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

Taco Wallace is available