Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Well at least we know for a fact that they'll be extending both Jordy and Cobb this year

$27 mill in cap space for them still

that is a ton of money for a Safety, and Byrd to the Pack was always a pipe dream. Looks like Rapoport's sources were off when he said Pack would be big players in FA this offseason
Yeah money aside I don't think there was any way TT was giving him a 6-year deal either.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Talib was apparently considered the top CB by teams with his big deal.

And Byrd. Wow. No wonder we weren't interested. Massive deal.

I would have had trouble with us giving Byrd 6 years 53 mil. I get that he's a very good safety but that's a massive contract for a player who hasn't been in your system. Even Darrell Revis struggled and is now looking for a new team after a transition. That's a lot or money tied to a guy you haven't seen in your team colors.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 03-12-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post

I would have had trouble with us giving Byrd 6 years 53 mil. I get that he's a very good safety but that's a massive contract for a player who hasn't been in your system. Even Darrell Revis struggled and is now looking for a new team after a transition. That's a lot or money tied to a guy you haven't seen in your team colors.
Revis didn't struggle last year. The reason Tampa is releasing him is because no corner is worth $16 million a year, and the money they saved from his release they were able to allocate to bringing in Johnson and Verner.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

Well were not gonna sign ne one so lets hope we can start to bring back our own guys.
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack_Attack_4 View Post
Well were not gonna sign ne one so lets hope we can start to bring back our own guys.
If anyone is signed at this point it won't likely be someone who does anything to change the face of this defense.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Byrd signed Saints
Sigh.
Meanwhile Denver adds Aqib Talib to shore up their CB position, and TJ Ward at safety, and they are poised to add DeMarcus Ware to bookend Von Miller. So a great team bolsters it's backend overnight, not waiting for the draft?

New England has at least 3 guys in for a visit right now including DE Matt Schaughnessey, a very solid run-defender.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/
San Francisco has also added Polian's #1-ranked FA in Antoine Bethea. In addition to them keeping Anquan Boldin, and adding the talented but enigmatic OT Jonathon Martin via trade.

Wow, Denver, New England, San Francisco.... all adding and bringing in FA's for visits.

I keep reading from Green Bay that good teams didn't use free agency to assemble rosters? Only bad teams do that.

Somewhere, Dom Capers must be steaming at his boss who assures him not to worry, that he will find Capers another jewel at safety like Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings, or Brandon Underwood. Or even a late free agent addition like a Marquand Manuel.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drew Rosenhaus should be charged with a crime against Ted Thompson for getting as much $$ as he did for Shields.

Shields must be up for DPOY, and surely a perennial All-Pro cornerback.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Meanwhile Denver adds Aqib Talib to shore up their CB position, and TJ Ward at safety, and they are poised to add DeMarcus Ware to bookend Von Miller. So a great team bolsters it's backend overnight, not waiting for the draft?
Denver's got a short window with Manning, one or two years at most. They're going all in now but in a couple of years they will be in cap Hell and will be forced to cut guys and will be in danger of having trouble resigning their own.

Similar to the Ravens strategy in Ray's waning years,
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Byrd was the only guy we couldn't realistically replicate immediately from the draft among the FAs (in a jopeful, we nail the draft sort of way) and his contract is absurd.

Frustrating not getting better but we also haven't risked getting worse. I'll be curious to see what late signings we make.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bears signed MD Jennings. Sweet!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Drew Rosenhaus should be charged with a crime against Ted Thompson for getting as much $$ as he did for Shields.

Shields must be up for DPOY, and surely a perennial All-Pro cornerback.
That contract tells me that they think he's about to become an elite NFL CB. He's only played defense for five years since he graduated from High School. There are going to be first round draft picks with that many years under their belts.

And if they're wrong, they can cut him in a couple years.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bears signed MD Jennings. Sweet!
Best news so far. The dude is terrible.

Chris Clemons is still floating out there and he's the guy I've had pegged us our most likely acquisition. Much more affordable and a bit underrated. They has him at SS in Miami and I think he'll get more ints and do better as a FS.

I'm really hoping we make that move. He could be had for 3-4 mil on a two or three year deal. Still draft a safety and let their be a competition for both spots.

Seems like more of a TT move so let's see what happens. Also interesting that Daniels is coming to town. I wonder if that's really just leverage for Finley. I can't imagine we want to sign an injury prone 32 year old tight end.

Also more on Shields. I think we pay too much attention to all these "experts" lists. I think Shields was considered the top FA CB (pre Revis) and once the Packers confirmed that, they moved quickly to lock him up.

Shields gets underrated because of the Tds and long plays he had "given up" except from watching games it's clear most of those he was expecting and should have had over the top help that utterly failed. The long TD to Jeffery that people count against him is the best example. The only route Shields left open for him was a fly route and Jennings utterly failed to cover his deep half.

Shields is lightning fast, good size and has terrific ball skills. Losing him would have doomed us.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 03-12-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also more on Shields. I think we pay too much attention to all these "experts" lists. I think Shields was considered the top FA CB (pre Revis) and once the Packers confirmed that, they moved quickly to lock him up.
I agree with this. Would we really trade him for Vontae Davis or Aqib Talib? Shields is a proven player within the Packers program. I think Shields and Clay are our two defensive cornerstones at this point.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I agree with this. Would we really trade him for Vontae Davis or Aqib Talib? Shields is a proven player within the Packers program. I think Shields and Clay are our two defensive cornerstones at this point.
And Heyward if he returns healthy. That one hurt us last year. Heyward would have made the int that Hyde missed and then who knows what would have happened.

I'm very curious to see if they are able to utilize Perry better this year. His injuries scare me but he's shown flashes and if he stays healthy and they give him more hands in the turf opportunities I think he could still be really good.

Same thing with Jones. I think he needed the year to gain bulk and strength but I really like his skill set for our defense. He's supposed to have a great work ethic so if he applied himself to getting bigger and stronger he could be special.

I don't think our defense is hopeless. We need a couple guys to step up and one or two new guys to come in and bring a spark. And, god forbid, just a little bit of injury luck.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

Bucs released Revis. He could be the second comming of Woodson for us.

Last edited by Pack_Attack_4 : 03-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:50 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

That's fun to think about, but Woodson only signed with us because the Bucs were the only other team offering him a contract, and they wanted him to play safety. Revis is probably going to draw more interest.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Way more interest. And Revis will pull a huge contract - not as silly as what the Bucs were paying but still substantial.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
That's fun to think about, but Woodson only signed with us because the Bucs were the only other team offering him a contract, and they wanted him to play safety. Revis is probably going to draw more interest.
Yeah, everyone likes to point to Woodson as an argument against Thompson's conservative stance on free agency but they either don't remember or selectively forget that he had nearly zero interest from other teams. He had been deemed a locker room cancer coming off of a broken leg. He was not happy about coming to Green Bay and there was friction between he and McCarthy in the beginning. Fortunately, they worked it out and the rest is history.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Food for thought. Jordy's current contract is 4y/12.6m. Lions just signed Golden Tate for 5y/31m. It's going to take a lot of coin to keep Jordy and Cobb.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Food for thought. Jordy's current contract is 4y/12.6m. Lions just signed Golden Tate for 5y/31m. It's going to take a lot of coin to keep Jordy and Cobb.
Definitely. Jordy will likely cost 7 or 8 mil a year and Cobb maybe a touch under that.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:05 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers re-signed Mike Neal to a 2yr deal

Meh
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:
Packers re-signed Mike Neal to a 2yr deal

Meh
He showed some ability in his first year converting to OLB. Good guy to bring back. I'm assuming the price is reasonable. Not very exciting though I agree with that.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
He showed some ability in his first year converting to OLB. Good guy to bring back. I'm assuming the price is reasonable. Not very exciting though I agree with that.
This.

Very good move bringing Neal back. He was surprisingly decent rushing the passer from the OLB position and we need anyone who can pass rush.

I'm sure the deal is very affordable and if he continues to improve he could be a really nice pass rushing threat.

Nothing to dislike about this move. I'm a bit surprised he didn't garner a little more interest on the market, ala Walden.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Smokey
Veteran

I agree. He was just learning the position last year and was really good in flashes. Great to have Neal back.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

I just can't get over how he's constantly dinged up