Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jr View Post

Well, this was one of my fav games ever.
this game was AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Why did they want to move the Penguins to KC if not many people like hockey?
It would have most defintely created interest in the sport here, there's just not a lot of fans of the sport currently...There are some rumors that there might be an expansion team in KC, so idk

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hockey and Soccer are alike in the sense where you have to look for small sometimes subtle things to really appreciate it, and if you play the sport or are an avid fan you just notice these things. Of course there are the big saves/goals that everyone notices, but I'm talking about the small stuff which makes it so appealing to me.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
It would have most defintely created interest in the sport here, there's just not a lot of fans of the sport currently...There are some rumors that there might be an expansion team in KC, so idk
I wouldn't get my hopes up, because recently, Gary Bettman said that they are not thinking of creating an expansion team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Hockey and Soccer are alike in the sense where you have to look for small sometimes subtle things to really appreciate it, and if you play the sport or are an avid fan you just notice these things. Of course there are the big saves/goals that everyone notices, but I'm talking about the small stuff which makes it so appealing to me.
Thats true too. I watch football more now than in 6th grade because I have been playing for 5 years. Its more fun to watch when you play it, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Rich Jr
Veteran

Rich Jr smells like sex panther.Rich Jr smells like sex panther.

Plus Barry Melrose (sp) turns me off to Hockey every time I see him on ESPN.
Rich Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
exactly...I grew up playing soccer, so I love watching pretty much any game, just for the strategy and subtle things that most people outside of the fan base wouldn't understand...personally, I can watch a hockey game if I really wanted to, I have nothing against it, but not understanding any strategies or how to identify what exactly is a penalty vs. what isn't, stuff like that, just kinda turns me off to watching a game on TV
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love hockey, seriously. I'm a fan of the Devils, and it's really awesome to see Brodeur do what he does. He's just so phenomenal, that his great saves make up for a lack of goals. Also, there is simply no feeling in sports even close to as nerve-wracking as being on the penalty kill with a one-goal lead or in a tied game with under 5 minutes to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
exactly...I grew up playing soccer, so I love watching pretty much any game, just for the strategy and subtle things that most people outside of the fan base wouldn't understand...personally, I can watch a hockey game if I really wanted to, I have nothing against it, but not understanding any strategies or how to identify what exactly is a penalty vs. what isn't, stuff like that, just kinda turns me off to watching a game on TV
The refs are all different.
One game, they call everything, but then the next game, they dont call anything.

Its the same thing with me and basketball.
I dont understand all of the fouls, or what a technical foul, etc. are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. I agree CuterChris. I am one of my team's top penalty killers and it is extremely stressful. Being on the kill during a 5-on-3 is just crazy, especially if the puck is stuck in your zone and the opposing team is working it around the zone.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess View Post
some dude got his throat slit tonight. shits crazy
yeah, Richard Zednik. My dad was at that game toninte in Buffalo, and called me right after it happened. He said he hasnt seen so much blood pour out that fast.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I think he means you can't just play it anywhere...you need ice, sticks, skates, puck or just sticks, skates, and a ball. or even just sticks and a ball, but hockey without skates is boring...plus, the fact that not many people play it means you can't really just play whenever you want, as far as the average american kid goes...I agree that it is about the same level of interest as soccer, mainly because if you do not play it, majority of people would not understand it/be interested in it
I agree with TimDris on this one. Where I live, there are hockey rinks everywhere. And for the most part, they are almost always unavailable due to over booking. Where I am staying right nowin Buffalo, there were 3 outdoor rinks that were made in the park right bhind my house. Things like that make it avalable anytime.

But I guess it does depend on where you live. I mean someone from Texas wont have all the hocey rinks that we do in Toronto.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I think its all about exposure. Hockey can exist anywhere in the country (either on the ice, in the streets, or organized roller hockey). It all comes down to whether or not people are exposed to it. There are plenty of people in Florida, California, Arizona, etc. who play ice or roller hockey. People just are not exposed to it like they are with baseball, football, and basketball. That's why it is not popular.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Simple question...

I think the NHL is more exciting to watch in the NBA... especially if it's a close game.
That pretty much says it all...
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think its all about exposure. Hockey can exist anywhere in the country (either on the ice, in the streets, or organized roller hockey). It all comes down to whether or not people are exposed to it. There are plenty of people in Florida, California, Arizona, etc. who play ice or roller hockey. People just are not exposed to it like they are with baseball, football, and basketball. That's why it is not popular.
Exactly. In Toronto, you are basically born to play hockey. I played for a couple years before I quit for football. Its just something that you are bound to do. Everyone is given hockey sticks, nets or goalie equipment for bdays or christmas, and everyone plays. Its just the way of life in some areas.

It does depend. You are right though, there are hockey fans everywhere, and it does come down to exposure. I guess the same could be said about football in Canada. Its really all about intrest and who gets it going around you.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like hockey but, give me basketball any day if we're comparing the two. All my hockey player friends absolutely hate basketball for some reason, though.

Of the big 4...hockey would be my least favorite but, i do like it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I like hockey but, give me basketball any day if we're comparing the two. All my hockey player friends absolutely hate basketball for some reason, though.

Of the big 4...hockey would be my least favorite but, i do like it.
Yeah I've never really thought about that, but its the same with my friends. I am one of the few hockey fans that can watch a basketball game (only college though). I guess the sports are so opposite and the popularity the NBA gets makes hockey fans jealous. What always gets me going is that there will be obscure college bball games on (Del St vs Hampton) on instead of an NHL game.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there was a NHL team in Milwaukee I could probably get into it. I watched the NCAA championship a couple years ago when Wisconsin won and it was entertaining. They started airing Minnesota Wild games on FSN Wisconsin last year, but that doesn't do it for me. I was hoping that the Predators owner would move them to Milwaukee or start a new team in Milwaukee since he lives here, but he bought the Wild instead.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jr View Post

Well, this was one of my fav games ever.
My buddy had that...I sucked at it. My game was NHL 98...Messier, Graves, Leetch, Esa, Gretzky, Richter, and my personal fav, Lafontaine...oh yes. I was unstoppable...haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

You know what I really like about the NHL as opposed to the NBA, it isn't fixed. There is no way someone can convince me the NBA isn't fixed to some extent. It is without a doubt the easiest sport to fix. Also, hockey does tend to rule.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know if this has been said yet or not, but I really think the main reasons for its lack of nationwide popularity has to do with fact that it is the hardest sport to just go out and play anytime with friends. Especially if you live in a place where there aren't many rinks. I love hockey, but I also live in a town with 6 indoor rinks and around 8 outdoor rinks.

For example: for football all you would need is an open space and a ball. For hockey, you need a rink and all the equipment, so its much harder to get a game going.

Kids, especially in southern states, grow up playing sports like baseball, football, and basketball as it is much easier to just go out and play

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by roughrider30 : 02-10-2008 at 10:38 PM.
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Your history professor should get a new reason because there hasn't been a tie in an NHL game since the lockout ended.
well, he is a history prof and im sure hes speaking from a historical perspective. but maybe thats just me, chief.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ive been playing minor hockey since I was 5 or something and its somewhat just a natrual part of life where I live. Hockey Night in Canada is something everyone watches Saturday nights, aside from league play sometimes rent the ice with my buddies and have a great game. Play with my Dads team when they have a family game (all the players have their kids play, players and kids are split into 2 equal teams) then kick back in the dressing room with some beers. I cant stress how much of a history, tradition, etc is around me. My family has strong hockey ties and hockey is really just second nature where I am.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
Ive been playing minor hockey since I was 5 or something and its somewhat just a natrual part of life where I live. Hockey Night in Canada is something everyone watches Saturday nights, aside from league play sometimes rent the ice with my buddies and have a great game. Play with my Dads team when they have a family game (all the players have their kids play, players and kids are split into 2 equal teams) then kick back in the dressing room with some beers. I cant stress how much of a history, tradition, etc is around me. My family has strong hockey ties and hockey is really just second nature where I am.
Ya I come from a big hockey town too, where everyone's kids play and if you not a hockey family your aren't a big deal in our town. Life pretty much revolves around our college hockey team at The University of North Dakota. It is really the big attraction around here for Friday and Saturday nights, we just get drunk, yell at the other team from the student section, and have a great time ;)

High school hockey up here and in Minnesota is similar to how high school football is down in states like Texas, as the whole town goes to the games and everything is all about hockey around here.

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't read every post in the thread, but I think the main reason Hockey is not large in the states is because it really doesn't transfer well onto television. A live hockey game can be the most exciting live sporting event, but when on television it loses a lot to the casual sport fan.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote