Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If we move every thread to the team sections..

What's the point of having an NFL forum?

I really like the new team threads a lot. It's definately a positive way to diversify the conversations. That being said, I question the point of having an NFL forum if every thread about an individual player is moved. Particularly in the offseason when news is very few and far between.

I would PM this to a Admin or Scott but it's not really a complaint, just a question, and one that I think merits broader discussion. The rules as such are way too subjective as they stand, and the new setup only exacerbates that. While some may think that Joey Harrington getting cut isn't worthy of having it's own NFL thread, he's probably the biggest available name at QB now. Just little stuff like that..

I just find it confusing how you can basically make a thread about whatever you want in the Draft forum, but it really has to be broad-reaching for it to last in the NFL thread. The rules are too vague in this regard IMO and I think now that there is available space in the team threads it will be further justification to move everything.

I hope this doesn't get locked. It's worth discussing.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good point.

I'm not sure how much it affects the NFL forum. I think the idea for Team Forums was to create different areas of discussion rather than things getting drowned out in over-active single threads, and the rules for this forum remaining the same.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
geaux tigers
Veteran

geaux tigers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i agree. there are a lot of topics i wouldnt mind reading, but would never come across them as it is all in the individual team forums.
geaux tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
lightsout
Rookie

lightsout hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

agree.....
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

meh, it can go both ways. this goes back to the "well, so and so posted about dwight freeney being cut, so why can't i post about joe schmoe getting cut?" crap. i don't believe there's a good answer.

i mean, do i really care that your second string tight end went on IR? probably not. do i care that your qb, who's likely 2nd string anyplace in the nfl right now, got cut? maybe.

i guess the question i ask myself when i look at posts here is: is this relevant to the NFL or just team X? if it's solely relevant to team X, it doesn't belong here. which has nothing to do with whether fans of other teams would care or not. they can still troll team forums easily.

this isn't nearly articulate enough to answer the question.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that threads that arent completely crappy should be allowed to be here.

I posted the Joey Harrington topic. It got moved to the Dolphins section, but I was more interested in where people think he would end up. Vikings, Browns, Texans, or other teams that may be interested in him arent gonna look in the Miami team discussion.

I like the new team forums because it lets you talk with people who know what they are talking about regarding your team, but I think the NFL forum is still needed and things should be loosened up a lot on what is allowed (if its not a big deal, people wont respond, so whats the big deal if its there?)
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least Raiders fans can post their little discussions in the right place now......

This forum should be reserved to only the important topics that all people can discuss, nothing exclusive that should be in team discussions.

With that being said, all FA threads should be allowed here. As long as the player has some history as a well-known player or a guy with decent production, all people should be allowed to discuss where he's going in one place. Like bearsfan said, Joey Harrington being cut should be allowed any day of the week.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with your points, bearsfan. There were rules with the old forum that I am assuming have been carried over to this new forum where if Player A was a starter and a big name, then a thread can be made for him. On the other hand, if Player B is a backup and rarely sees the field then it belongs in team discussions.

New of Joey Harrington possibly being cut, Hollis Thomas resigning with the Saints, and Josh Brown given the franchise tag I think are all deserving of a thread due to their implications.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god damnit! I typed out this huge reply to this and hit submit only to get a database error, so then I just hit back on my browser and everything was deleted. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
god damnit! I typed out this huge reply to this and hit submit only to get a database error, so then I just hit back on my browser and everything was deleted. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure you were just going to agree with me.

I should note that I'm not criticizing the mods here. I think you guys do the best you can. I just think there needs to be a little more of a nuanced perspective now that we're in the offseason and actually worthy news is few and far between.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

I should note that I'm not criticizing the mods here. I think you guys do the best you can. I just think there needs to be a little more of a nuanced perspective now that we're in the offseason and actually worthy news is few and far between.
i didn't realize who'd made the original post either (for the referenced harrington thread), so i think the move was based partly on player name and partly on the poster. it's hard to blame whoever made the decision.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My original guideline is the answer to your question bf51.

Quote:
Threads about an individual player are a waste of space unless:

1) There is breaking news about that player
2) He is an upper-tier icon.

No exceptions. This is why team discussions exist. Some examples:

OK: Mike Vick - Good or Bad?
NOT OK: Eric Ogbogu - Protect Whose House?

OK: Lamont Jordan Out for Season
NOT OK: Lamont Jordan - My favorite
I don't think speculation on Joey Harrington is worthy of it's own thread. My examples are a little childish, and I will take the blame if I wasn't clear enough in explaining what is ok and what is not. The sort of unwritten rule is also, do most of the users care? If it's breaking news that the Dolphins just re-signed Cleo Lemon, yeah technically that fits the rules, but who here cares besides Dolphin fans?

If a clearer definition is desired, I'll work on pounding one out.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:48 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

i agree i think it should be a little more open because its the offseason.

i know you mods do the best you can and i appreciate it. :)
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:14 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I was agreeing with you. My whole point was that the constant locking of threads stifles conversation more than anything and is very frustrating at times. I don't understand why everybody is so afraid that the forums will get cluttered, basically if people are discussing the topic at hand it should be allowed to stay open whether it's about a superstar player or not, and conversely if people aren't discussing it then the thread will just get bumped off of the page. The main thing is that we are all here just to discuss the NFL, and by going crazy with locking threads I think newer members get discouraged and frustrated and quite possibly driven away from the site.

I'm not dissing the mods either, I know how difficult it is running a forum and I know you're just trying to keep things in order. It's just, let's not forget why we're here in the first place and get too carried away with enforcing rules. The team forums is a step in the right direction, so I'm glad to see that ya'll put that into place.

Quote:
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
My original guideline is the answer to your question bf51.

I don't think speculation on Joey Harrington is worthy of it's own thread. My examples are a little childish, and I will take the blame if I wasn't clear enough in explaining what is ok and what is not. The sort of unwritten rule is also, do most of the users care? If it's breaking news that the Dolphins just re-signed Cleo Lemon, yeah technically that fits the rules, but who here cares besides Dolphin fans?

If a clearer definition is desired, I'll work on pounding one out.
I'd also like to add, obviously members should use some discretion when posting in the NFL forum. I'm not in any way saying that every little idea somebody has about their favorite team should be posted here. Maybe the guidelines that you posted above should be just that, guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Basically like somebody else said, everybody should ask themselves if anybody outside of their team will care before they make a new topic. If a Joey Harrington thread does get posted and people are actually having a discussion I don't see what the problem is then. It's not like a tear in the space time continuum will occur if people are simultaneously talking about Joey in the NFL & Lions team forum. Atleast I hope not.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the old set up better. I had an easier time going to other team discussions and getting a broad idea of whats going on with each individual team by viewing the single team discussion threads. Then I got another point of view from the NFL board.

Now, its too detailed. Why make a separate thread in the team discussion about something? Why not just include it into the team discussion thread? It was a lot smoother to me that way. I think it makes the board look a lot cleaner that way too. Right now it looks unorganized.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

part of the problem here with the current team boards may be that users have no idea how to use them properly. i think this will come. i mean, should every bizarre thought they have get posted as a new thread? probably not. but eventually, they'll get to a point where only big deal stories are posted, or articles others may have missed. it can be a really great way to get the non-ESPN point of view on a team (and i can guess that you're not going to watch NFL Live to get a feel for what's going on in the league).

i hate to keep saying it and parroting others, but give it a bit of time. some of the team boards may still be useless, but then, those are probably the same teams with useless team discussion threads anyways.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

the bears are arrogant