Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Who's your team's darkhorse player?

Give me the one player, I'll give you one on each side of the ball, that is going to make a difference on your team next season. Obviously free agents and draft picks don't count, so don't turn this into a wishlist. I'm talking about that one player that will make your team hold off on upgrading the position in FA or the draft, and will turn heads next season. The player that your fanbase mostly knows all about, but people on the outside have either never heard his name or didn't realize he was set to play such a big role (for example, if it's a draft pick from last year. Obviously everyone here is going to know who it is, but they may not realize he's set up to play such a big role)

For the Eagles..

Offense - Jason Avant - All this crying for playmakers, and no one realized that Avant took a step forward in his sophmore year. Next year, his third in the league, he should be our primary slot receiver (assuming we don't add at receiver, and if we do it shouldn't threaten his job) and because we'll probably move Curtis into the slot on occation he'll also get a lot of looks outside. Avant won't explode, but 500 yards and 4 or 5 TDs isn't out of the question. Guys like Greg Lewis and Freddie Mitchell are receivers with half of Avant's talent that McNabb utilized well out as the third receiver.

Defense - Quentin Mikell - Eagles fans know his name, especially since he's been on the roster for what seems like forever. But until this past season he was a strict special teamer and reserve, and once Considine went down he finally had his time to shine. We may add talent at strong safety (don't get me wrong, if Gibril Wilson will sign at a reasonable price we'll jump all over it) but Mikell should be able to beat out most for the starting strong safety job and open some eyes. He'd be the best third safety in the league by a decent margin if he isn't starting for us next year.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard to say for the Giants, as so many of our so called "dark horses" got a lot of exposure with the Super Bowl run. However, I'm just excited to see more of Steve Smith and Ahmad Bradshaw on the field next year. And of course Justin Tuck is an absolute beast.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
It's hard to say for the Giants, as so many of our so called "dark horses" got a lot of exposure with the Super Bowl run. However, I'm just excited to see more of Steve Smith and Ahmad Bradshaw on the field next year. And of course Justin Tuck is an absolute beast.
Jay Alford on defense, Sinorice Moss on offense maybe?
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense: Steve Breaston WR - I fell that he will be an above adequate replacement for Bryant Johnson and he is the deep threat that we need in the slot.

Defense: Antonio Smith DT/DE - He is simply a beast and no one seems to know who he is, I have even seen people giving us 3-4 DE's in there mock drafts when we have arguably the top duo in the league.

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeTiMe View Post
Jay Alford on defense, Sinorice Moss on offense maybe?
Yeah, Im very high on Jay Alford, I think he makes big strides next year. he could be the "breakout" guy i guess on defense.

On offense, I guess you can say Steve Smith or Ahmad Bradshaw, even though both got plenty of exposure already.

Or maybe Guy Whimper. He looked pretty good at OT when called upon.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to do the Eagles from an outsiders perspective:

Offense: Winston Justice
Defense: Omar Gaither
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mikell started at least half the season and Omar Gaither all 16 games last year, I wouldn't qualify either as darkhorses personally.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Mikell started at least half the season and Omar Gaither all 16 games last year, I wouldn't qualify either as darkhorses personally.
hmmm, good point. the thing is, i don't think many outsiders grade Gaither that high, and I personally think he has potential to be a beast inside for them in that 46 scheme, if those DTs can do their job.

Maybe Victor Abriamiri?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I want to do the Eagles from an outsiders perspective:

Offense: Winston Justice
Defense: Omar Gaither
Justice might be a dark horse, but for 2009. Likely that Runyan and Thomas both start 2008 at OT.

Gaither isn't a dark horse to Eagles fans. It is well known that he is the leader of that defense and is a huge playmaker. I think he will break out nationally in 2008, but I think he's a known quantity.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

O=Meachem
D= Usama Young

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Eagles dark horses:

Offense: While I definitely agree about Avant, I'm going to have to go different. I'm going to pick LJ Smith. He is well known, but he is going to fly under the radar. I think he will have a huge year. Mark it.

Defense: I definitely agree about Mikell and Abriamiri, but my dark horse is Stewart Bradley. If he develops quickly enough, he could make Takeo Spikes expendable. It is also possible that he takes the SAM job and pushes Gocong back to DE (where I actually like him).

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Justice might be a dark horse, but for 2009. Likely that Runyan and Thomas both start 2008 at OT.

Gaither isn't a dark horse to Eagles fans. It is well known that he is the leader of that defense and is a huge playmaker. I think he will break out nationally in 2008, but I think he's a known quantity.
Runyan is staying around? I thought he'd be let go this year. Whats the deal with LJ? Are you guys bringing him back?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

LJ was franchised, so he should be back. He is my dark horse on offense.

Runyan hasn't been cut yet, so we'll see. I actually think he's affordable at RT. I was surprised that he was back for 2007, but he did really well...

Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I have a feeling the Eagles make the playoffs this year. Theyll be back. That defense underachieved big time. I thought theyd play a lot better than they did.

And if Stallworth comes back, theyll be dangerous on offense.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense: Brad Butler/Fred Jackson
Defense: John McCargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Offense: Brad Butler/Fred Jackson
Defense: John McCargo
What about Poz?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a feeling the Eagles make the playoffs this year. Theyll be back. That defense underachieved big time. I thought theyd play a lot better than they did.

The defense wasn't the problem last year imo. I thought that was one of Jim Johnson's best coaching jobs, maybe the best. Despite the key injuries, he and the defense put the team in positon to almost win every game, except for the Pats game.

The problem was the offense was disappointing, especially with McNabb behind center.

Last edited by Geo : 02-21-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
What about Poz?
I think Jabari Greer actually is our darkhorse. Fred Jackson got pretty good pub for his mini-breakout at the end of the season and Poz was getting pub before his injury. Brad Butler is a nice choice on offense but I'd go with Langston Walker.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
The defense wasn't the problem last year imo. I thought that was one of Jim Johnson's best coaching jobs, maybe the best. Despite the key injuries, he and the defense put the team in positon to almost win every game, except for the Pats game.

The problem was the offense was disappointing, especially with McNabb behind center.
He got up to speed at the end of the year though. I think the oline had a dip in production as well which hurt that offense. I expected the offense to do poorly though, and I expected the defense to take it to the next level this year. But I think injuries, and the front 4 not living up to my expectations resulted in them not doing as well as I anticipated.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:

If the defense was able to get more pass rush pressure, it would have improved the pass D significantly. Expect the team to invest heavily in DE. I think it will be addition by subtraction with Kearse and Howard cut. Abriamiri will be a huge key.

I have a lot of hope for the Eagles. With a truly healthy McNabb, consistency on the OLine, and maybe a tweak with the WR's, I see them making a run. At the same time, I am dreading the collapse or the injuries.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense: maybe Gary Russell, but i'm also still waiting for Nate Washington to use his athletic ability to his advantage.

Defense:not sure, everyone on our defense is pretty known, and established....maybe McFadden will finally beat out Townsend or maybe Anthony Smith will raise some eyebrows even though he already did with the "guarantee".

i forgot about Lamar Woodley on defense, he will start because Haggans is leaving, and i expect atleast 8 sacks from him if not more.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Last edited by terribletowel39 : 02-21-2008 at 12:31 PM.
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
He got up to speed at the end of the year though. I think the oline had a dip in production as well which hurt that offense. I expected the offense to do poorly though, and I expected the defense to take it to the next level this year. But I think injuries, and the front 4 not living up to my expectations resulted in them not doing as well as I anticipated.
The OLine was worse, especially right up the middle. McNabb didn't help himself by holding the ball too long. In reality, he probably should have sat out 4-5 games to get more healthy, but I respect him playing himself back into shape.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Off: IDK our players are either known/established or bad, and more often the latter. Best guess would prolly be Mark Bradley. He's gonna be more inclined to start if Berrian leaves and if he stays he'll prolly still be top 3 depending on FA/the development of Hester. Potential to be a good #2.

Def: Jamar Williams! This is the reason most Bear fans hate seeing LB in the 1st 3 rounds. At this point LB should not be pick "b/c Briggs is gone and they'll need help outside." sure depth is nice, esp behind 54 but Jamar is ready to step in and be a NFL LB.
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
RAZERSAINTS
Rookie

RAZERSAINTS hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Offence- Peire Thomas
D- Usama Young

Sick sig by Jackalope

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SAINTS FAN
RAZERSAINTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
The OLine was worse, especially right up the middle. McNabb didn't help himself by holding the ball too long. In reality, he probably should have sat out 4-5 games to get more healthy, but I respect him playing himself back into shape.
i never payed attention to this, but do you guys do a lot of stunting along the dline? Spags does a ton of it with us, I was curious if he brought that over from Philly.